This over-7300 square-feet Georgian Revival style home sitting on a knoll in historic Valdese makes a lasting impression on visitors. As you drive up the curved driveway lined with stone walls and walk into the magnificent foyer you begin to realize how much this historical home has to offer. Occupied strictly as a private residence to this point, this unique property has all the characteristics to become a high-end B&B in a historic town that has no B&B or other accommodations.
The main level consists of a large formal living room, elegant dining room, well-planned kitchen, powder room and a guest suite with 'en suite' full bath. There are five additional bedrooms on the second floor - master suite with full bath and two sets of two bedrooms sharing a Jack & Jill full bath. A mid-level suite includes a BR, sitting room and full bath. All bathrooms still have original tile and color-matched fixtures. The third-floor runs the length of the house and is finished with an attic fan, flooring, walk up staircase and a huge amount of storage. The walk-out basement level has a large family room with wood-burning fireplace, a billiards room, bar, its own wine cellar/tasting room, workout room with sauna, full bathroom and utility room. Special features include laundry chute, elevator from basement to second and third levels, unique plaster moldings throughout the house. Every key hole has original covers rarely seen today. The grounds are pristine and include specimen trees reminiscent of Olmsted’s plantings as well as two formal English boxwood gardens.
- Over 7300SF Georgian Revival Style home on 4.5 acres with fence and gate
- Constructed in 1938 as “finest home in county, if not entire western NC”
- Restored and updated to better than original
- 7 BRs, each with walk-in closet
- 6 1/2 bathrooms
- 10’ ceilings on two main floors & finished lower level 8’ ceilings
- All-masonry construction
- Kitchen modernized
- Large foyer with arched openings to LR, Library and Hall and open stairway to 2nd floor
- 36’ x 16’ living room with beautiful working fireplace, large formal dining room, attractive library
- Main level guest room with “en suite” full bath
- Main level half bath
- Second floor MBR suite, 36’ x 16’ including dressing area and full bath
- Four additional large BRs on second level with Jack and Jill baths between each 2
- Bathrooms have matching tile and fixtures in art deco style, introduced at 1934 World’s Fair
- Mid-level guest Suite off back hallway with BR, sitting room and full bath
- Lower level 2000+SF recreation area with bar area, billiards room, family room 36’ x 16’ with working
- fireplace; exercise room with sauna; tasting room with adjoining wine cellar; large, renovated laundry
- Clay-tile roof; totally restored with new copper flashing and 100-yr “Titanium” underlayment.
- New copper gutters and downspouts
- New shutters and exterior paint
- 400A electrical; all copper plumbing
- All 54 windows replaced with period-correct, Pella architectural windows and screens
- Curved driveway, edged by stone walls
- Walk-out lower level has Monticello-style, 13’ x 55’ patio under 2-story full roof.
- Elevator serves all 3 floors