The Hermitage Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Martha Shea for sharing her own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
People stay at the Inn because of specific events--- family, community, access to the Lake, River, genealogy and Artistry.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
The Inn is best known for the Indiana Artists who lived here from 1898 thru early 1900s, T.C. Steele and J. Otis Adams. Uniqueness is the age--c.1835, 19 room house, large veranda, history, art and antiques. The Inn is very homey and comfortable.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
Regarding a first time visit---the history, antiques and the outdoor activities are very inviting.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
We have received very many positive compliments.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
Best kept secrets include 4 Indiana State Governors were from Brookville.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
What is there to do? Lake, boating, fishing, swimming, hiking, river canoeing and fishing (best fly fishing river in Indiana), golfing, flea market on Wednesdays, horseback riding, 4-H fair, antique farm machinery show, canoe fest.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
The town is small. Can walk anywhere safely. Town swimming pool is in back of the Inn. Restaurants are close. Town Park is next to the Inn property.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Selection of restaurants are good, Mexican, Chinese, family-style, pizza parlors, and other fast foods in town. Within riding distance on the lake is Ainsleys Cafe.
How many rooms does your inn have?
The Hermitage is a 19 room house that has 6 bedrooms available.
Do you accept pets?
NO PETS AT THE INN, a veterinarian clinic is nearby and can house pets.
Hermitage Bed and Breakfast is listed on the national register of historic places. Enjoy the beauty and serenity of the Whitewater River Valley from the 112 foot long veranda at The Hermitage Bed & Breakfast in Brookville, Indiana. You may lounge on comfort antique furniture or in a hammock while you listen to the river and experience the beauty of nature in the walking trail in the park nearby.
- The Hermitage is situated on the edge and adjacent to the town park of this historic 1804 town.
- This location makes available, within walking distance, outdoor activities such as jogging, fishing, hiking, swimming, picnicking, biking and touring Brookville's historic sites.
- A short distance away is Brookville Lake with boating and fishing, canoeing on the river, and an 18-hole golf course and camping.
- The Hermitage is 10 minutes east of Metamora, a historic 1838 Canal town with many shops and attractions.
- A short 30 minute drive will take you to Oxford, Ohio, home of Miami University.
- Meetings and special occasions can be accommodated. Lunches and dinners by reservation are available.
- Tour South Central Indiana's historic covered bridge communities.
The original house was built in 1835. In 1898 noted Indiana artists, J. Ottis Adams and T.C. Steele selected this site to set up their home and studios, where the Hoosier Group painted for several years.
Available is a lovely turn-of-the-century library with antique books, magazines and a wood burning fireplace.
Tour the 19 room house and join the hostess and other guests for refreshments and conversation in the living room or art studios.
This old historic house lends itself as a lovely place for small weddings.