Howard Creek Ranch Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
Pacific Coast beaches, Scenic California Highway One, Redwoods, Farm life, Historic Architecture, nature, flower gardens, a full ranch breakfast, onsite hiking - all combined with generous hospitality, make Howard Creek Ranch special.
Howard Creek Ranch Inn is an historic, 60 acre, ocean front farm; bordered by miles of beach and mountains on the beautiful Mendocino Coast. We are a family owned and run business. Charles (Sunny) and Sally have been working on the Howard Creek Ranch for the last 20 years, and will probably be working on it for the next 20 years. Howard Creek Ranch is a Mendocino County Registered Historic Site nominated to the Federal Register of Historic Places.
A full ranch breakfast is included in your stay. Breakfast is a hearty farm meal with fresh juice, omelets, bacon, sausage, hot cakes, fried potatoes, grits, and baked apples with granola and whipped cream. Coffee is strong and early. Tea is available anytime. Menus change daily. Vegetarians are gladly accommodated.
There is plenty to do in the area and at the ranch. Visit the gigantic redwoods, take the famous Skunk Train, shop in the village of Mendocino, go horseback riding on the beach, in the mountains, in the redwoods or just relax in scenic splendor.
Howard Creek Ranch is alive with the rural splendor of sweeping ocean and mountain views, sixty acres of peace and beauty on the beach near the Lost Coast, a sixty mile long wilderness. The Ranch was settled in 1867 as a land grant of thousands of acres and included a sheep and cattle ranch, and a blacksmith shop. Horses, sheep, Llama, and a pygmy goat graze the pastures. The buildings are constructed from virgin redwood from the ranch forest.
In the middle of a wide, green lawn sits a large 1871 farmhouse filled with antiques. A 75 foot swinging bridge spans Howard Creek as it flows past barns and cabins to the beach 300 yards away.
Howard Creek ranch was recently featured by the California Heartland, a Public Television Program special.
Are you looking for a Northern California Bed & Breakfast? Howard Creek Ranch is a Romantic Bed & Breakfast In Northern California, oriented toward adults. For more information on a Northern California Bed & Breakfast, contact us at Howard Creek Ranch; (707) 964-6725.
Menu Changes Daily (Cooked on the original wood stoves)
- Baked apples with granola and French whipped cream or raisins with yogurt.
- Omelet with tomatoes, green onion, cheeses, sour cream, and avocado plus delicate spices.
- Strawberry banana hotcakes topped with real maple syrup.
- Locally made sausage.
- Fresh orange-juice, early strong coffee, black or herbal teas, hot chocolate with whipped cream.
- Sliced fruit of the season, plus edible flowers.
- Local pears poached in apple cider.
- Our special Howard Creek French Toast.
- Fried potatoes in the old fashioned way.
- Baked grapefruit with cherry brandy.
- Biscuits fresh from the oven.
- Fruit salad with candied blackberries and violas.
- Mendocino Coast thick bacon.
- Pacifica frittata with a variety of veg. and cheeses.
- Ammaretto french toast.
- Apple and pear tosa w/cream sauce and almonds.
- Sausage balls made w/ apples and onion stuffing.
- Homemade pear bread and cranberry/orange muffins.
- Vegetable quiche topped w/ fresh grated romano, basil and sliced tomato.
Howard Creek ranch was recently featured by the California Heartland,
a Public Television Program special.
Arrangement for your dog's stay must be made by advanced reservation. The rate is $15.00 per night per dog, plus tax.
We are one of the few Inns on the Mendocino Coast that accepts dogs. We love dogs, and have one ourselves. We hope you will not be offended but there are a few rules.
Most of these are common sense, but it only takes one bad experience to require a set of rules. Thanks.
Dog stay rules
- Please do not leave the dog in the room unattended. When you leave please take him/her with you.
- Please don't let your dog walk around unattended. We have sheep!
- We have some old towels to lend you to wipe off your dog. Please clean dirty and/or wet paws, at least, before letting your dog in the room.
- We prefer that your dog not be allowed on the furniture, especially the bed. If it's likely that your dog will get on the furniture, please let us know so that we can provide you with coverings. Dog claws ruin the quilts.
- Please clean up after your dog and place the droppings in the barn dumpster. Thank you.
Things To Do
At the Ranch:
- Explore tide pools (we provide rubber boots)
- Beach combing
- Playing our piano
- Enjoy the hot tub, sauna and massage
- Read from Sally's collection of books
- Bring a bicycle and enjoying a paved lane through miles of sand dunes
- Use our small barbecues and have a picnic
- Watch the sun set over the Pacific Ocean
- Take a walk to twin falls.
- Sleep in peaceful seclusion
Wine tasting/buying locally at the only coastal vineyard with a magnificent ocean view at the Pacific Star Winery or indulge on the way to or from Howard Creek Ranch via Route 128 at Anderson Valley Wineries
- Learn the history of the coast in our museums
- Mendocino Guide
- Mendocino Chamber of Commerce
Attend a play or music performance:
- Mendocino Theater Company 707-937-4477
- Gloriana Opera Company 707-964-7469
- Symphony of the Redwoods 707-964-0898
- Have fun at a "Gay Nineties" performance of the Footlighters Theatre 707-964-3806
- Opera Fresca (Opera-Concert-Caberet)
- Mendocino Music Festival
- Attend a movie at the Coast Cinemas (five screens) 707-964-2019
- The Sinkyone Wilderness (the Lost Coast) Two miles North of us
- he redwoods, the pygmy forest, the mountains or our own 60 acres
- Jughandle Trail, an educational ecological staircase
- Visit nearby giant redwoods
- Visit the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens
- Visit our many local nurseries and take home a plant
- Discover art galleries, and the Mendocino Art Center
- Outdoor Adventures & Sports
- Play golf or tennis (45 minutes south on Highway One)
- Bicycle rentals - Bicycle in the parks including a ten mile-long sand dune trail
- Hunt for historical glass "treasures" at Glass Beach
- Go horseback riding on the beach, along the ocean, in the mountains or redwoods
- Take the Skunk Train through the Redwoods
Ocean Trips & Fishing
- Ride a boat from the Noyo Harbor on a whale-watching ocean adventure from Noyo Harbor
- Deep-sea fishing, bottom fishing and salmon fishing
- All Aboard Adventures
- Go white-water ocean kayaking or sailing
- Explore the galleries and shops of Mendocino and Fort Bragg
- Browse in the bookstores
- Shop at quaint boutiques for unusual gifts, clothes, antiques, or handmade items
We are fortunate to have some of the finest restaurants in the world within thirty minutes driving time. You can go formal or casual, dress up or down, and we will help you make reservations. There is a wide variety of dining experiences in the area: gourmet treats, a seaside platter on the pilings of the harbor, an organic or completely vegetarian entree, or an afternoon watching sports in a bar with great burgers/fries.
To the north of us, there are only trees for miles and miles. The town of Rockport does not exist. There is a deli/lunch counter in Westport, three miles south, where you can get great sandwiches, munchies, picnic food, etc. as well as rent movies, get gas, or mail a postcard.
At Howard Creek ranch, we feed you such an ample breakfast, you may not want lunch. For the other meals in the day, we will try to help you find the dining experience that you desire. We have all of the menus for the Mendocino coast.
The Westport Hotel and Abalone Bar has recently opened as a restaurant in Westport, three miles south of us. The food is excellent and eclectic. Please call for reservations 707-964-3688.
A German style massage is available via our referral for $60.00 an hour or $85 for an hour and a half. Reservations are required. Please call us for more information.
From a satisfied visitor: "This was the best massage I've ever had." - K. Graham Talmadge, CA
Wild and Domestic Animals on the Ranch
Among the wild animals seen on the property have been bobcat, deer, fox, elk, mountain lion, numerous birds, otter, coyote, porcupine, weasel, wild turkey and wild pig. Farm animals include, horses, sheep, llamas, goats, numerous cats (Cats are not allowed inside due to allergies). To all those who have grown to love PUFF, our Little Shitzsu mix, she has passed away at the ripe old age of 18.