Speedwell Forge B & B
This Lancaster, Pennsylvania area accommodation is rich in both comfort and history. Enjoy this private cottage that overlooks the creek, with vaulted ceiling, hardwood floors, kitchenette, king-size bed, whirlpool bath, and gas fireplace. You can still see the window where forge employees were paid over 200 years ago! Come here for your Pennsylvania honeymoon, and you may never want to leave -- with a full kitchen, you won't have to. Robes, hairdryer, wireless Internet access, cable TV, central heat/air, coffee maker, refrigerator, and microwave are all included. Join us in the mansion for a full three-course breakfast, or make your own. If you don't want to come over to the mansion for breakfast, upon request we will stock your kitchen with eggs, milk, juice, pancake mix, and syrup, plus plates, silverware, pots and pans. And we'll do the dishes! Book your getaway now! Trivia: In the 18th century, the forge employees were paid here; the "paymaster's window" separates the main room from the kitchen. In the basement, stone reinforcement indicates where the vault was. $270 per night plus tax.
The master bedroom at our Pennsylvania Dutch Country bed and breakfast is bright and airy, with a high ceiling, large windows, and detailed woodworking. The room features a queen-size bed with open canopy, romanticfireplace, and hand-carved corner closet. Step into the bathroom, with its claw-foot whirlpool bath for two, and that's when you realize this is going to be the perfect vacation. There are two comfortable chairs, but you'll probably spend more time curled up in one of the deep window ledges. The views are lovely any time of the year, especially in the morning as the birds welcome the new day. Kathryn was Dawn's grandmother, and her portrait (as a three-year-old girl with a kitten) hangs over the dresser. All of the furniture belonged to Dawn's grandparents as well. Complete with wireless Internet access, a full three-course breakfast, plus access to the parlor and library, you will love your stay at Speedwell Forge B&B. Trivia: The bathroom originally had a large walk-in closet and tiny bathtub. In changing the layout, we were able to match the original 1940s tile exactly, and we installed radiant floor heat underneath, so the bathroom is warm and inviting all year long. $185 per night plus tax
This room is large and comfortable, with private bath (tub/shower), freestanding fireplace, and two antique "three-quarter" beds. These beds are larger than twins but smaller than full, perfect for two individuals traveling together. The large room has a matching Eastlake marble-topped dresser and nightstand and two comfortable chairs. The electric fireplace can be used any time of the year--it does not generate heat, but still adds that warm touch to make any evening special. Gaze out the deep paneled window at the surrounding woodlands. The room even has two closets: A modern one, added in the 1940s, and a hand-carved corner closet added in the 1880s. The private bath includes a tub, shower, and pedestal sink. Complete with wireless Internet access, a MP3 alarm clock, full three-course breakfast, plus "run of the house" access to the parlor and library.
Trivia: The floors were also installed in the 1880s and most of the floorboards run the entire length of the room--13 feet--without a break. (And none of them squeak!)
$160 per night plus tax
Quiet and comfortable, this cozy room features a queen-size antique sleigh bed, seating area, and private bath (shower only). Enjoy a lovely view of the property, including the creek, and one of the most unusual features of the mansion: A curved wall with a built-in closet. Cable TV provided on request. This room includes a small seating area, an authentic Amish quilt, hairdryer, and wireless Internet access and Cable TV with CD player. Perfect for couples, singles, and business travelers! You'll enjoy access to the parlor and library, and of course a full three-course breakfast each morning. Business travelers, please let me know if you need a breakfast to go.
Trivia: The room originally belonged to Dawn's father, Bill. When Dawn was a child, she loved to hide in the closet.
This room is only $135 per night plus tax!
Summer Kitchen Suite
If you are looking for average Lancaster, PA cottage rentals, this is not the place for you! This two-story private cottage has a bedroom loft upstairs and living room downstairs. This cottage includes cable TV with VCR/DVD and a wide selection of movies. Whether you're getting away from the kids or bringing them along (12 and older, please) for a Pennsylvania family vacation, traveling with friends or on a business trip by yourself, the Summer Kitchen Suite has it all:
Large private bath
Queen bed upstairs and two twin beds downstairs
An in-room whirlpool tub for two
A kitchenette with microwave, stove, refrigerator, coffee maker--even a dining table
Cable TV with VCR and DVD player and a wide selection of movies
During the day, the downstairs becomes a living room
Wonderful views of the property, plus "wolf themed" decorations throughout
Robes, hairdryer, wireless Internet access, a full three-course breakfast all included at no extra charge.
Trivia: Before renovations, the Summer Kitchen was rented as a two-bedroom apartment. The 1,200-square-foot building was carved into eight tiny rooms!
Children 12 and older are welcome. Our home is a peaceful retreat for our guests and contains fragile furnishings. There is a $25 charge for each additional person. (04/24/09). Maximum occupancy is 4.
The Wolf Sanctuary of PA is located on the same property, with over 40 wolves enclosed on 22 acres. Please contact us if you have any questions or special requests.
$250 per night plus tax
Policies and Miscellaneous Information
By making a reservation, you are agreeing to our policies:
- Check-in time is 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. or by prior arrangement and Check out time is 11 a.m. Please, if you are going to be later than 6pm, call me.
- Deposits: Reservations require a one night's stay or 50% of the total reservation amount, whichever is greater to hold your room. Deposits can be made by Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, debit cards, personal checks, traveler's checks or cash. Balance is due upon arrival.
- Cancellation Policy:
- When a guest makes a reservation for a stay at Speedwell Forge B&B we agree to turn away all other requests for the room you select and you agree to pay the rate quoted for the number of days you reserve it. A small bed and breakfast such as ours is significantly affected by cancellations and we appreciate your consideration of our policies. Therefore, we adhere to a strict cancellation policy.
- We require 10 days cancellation notice on all reservations. Cancellations within 10 days of your scheduled arrival date will be charged one night's stay or 50% of the total reservation amount, whichever is greater. Cancellations within 2 days of your scheduled arrival date will be charged the full amount of the reservation. This includes "No-shows" and premature check-outs. Vacation Insurance is available from several providers online to inexpensively protect you against covered unexpected events.
- If you cancel before the deadline, you will only be charged a $25 non refundable cancellation fee, and the balance of your deposit will be returned. After the deadline, you will be billed as noted above unless we can re-rent the room or cottage. (We will make every effort to do so) Note: Longer cancellation periods will be applied to multi-room bookings. Please call for information.
- Cancellations must be made directly by calling and speaking to an innkeeper or by e-mail with a confirmed response.!
- Smoking: Smoking is not permitted inside any of the buildings. A cleaning fee of $500 will be assessed for any violations.
- Children: Children 12 and older are welcome. Our home is a peaceful retreat for our guests; and contains fragile furnishings. $25 charge for each additional person.
- Pets: Sorry, we cannot accommodate pets. There are several kennels in the area that may be able to accommodate your pet. Please check local listings.
- Other: All rates based on double occupancy. Maximum occupancy in all rooms is 2 except for the Summer Kitchen, which sleeps 4, no exceptions. $11 dollar discount on singles.
- $30 fee for returned checks.
- We are not handicap-accessible. All rooms require stairs except the Paymaster's Office, which has one step.
- Food Allergies, restrictions and other Please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions, are vegan or vegetarian or have other special requirements. A good example would be on medication that precludes grapefruit.
Children 12 and older please.