Garden and Sea Inn
Table Of Contents
Escape to the most romantic Bed and Breakfast on the friendly Eastern Shore of Virginia, The Garden and the Sea Inn. This ideal, year 'round retreat from the real world, is conveniently located just eleven miles from Chincoteague and Asssateaguein New Church. The Inn, sitting on over four beautifully landscaped acres, offers a swimming pool, lush gardens, trickling ponds, relaxing swings and several areas to just take a nap or perhaps a place to read a good book. This Victorian B&B offers the perfect combination of personal attention, modern conveniences and relaxing environment for a weekend getaway or a peaceful vacation.
Enjoy exploring the unspoiled beaches and the wildlife refuge on Assateague Island or browse the charming shops on Chincoteague. This premier Chincoteague Island Area Bed and Breakfast was built in 1802 and was known as Bloxom's Tavern, a hub of hospitality during the first half of the nineteenth century. The B&B offers warm hospitality, spacious rooms, an outdoor pool and, most important, peace and quiet. The Garden and Sea Inn caters to the Chincoteague Area visitors who truly want a unique, relaxing escape to Virginia's Eastern Shore.
We provide the largest, most romantic, upscale Bed and Breakfast rooms in the Chincoteague Island area - each room has a private bath (most with whirlpool tubs), air conditioning, television/DVD player, coffee maker and refrigerator. The Inn's rooms are designed and decorated to ensure guests a unique lodging experience with emphasis on privacy, comfort and relaxation. Our outdoor pool is open May - October, weather permitting. The Inn also offers the perfect lodging location to view waterfowl at the wildlife refuge on Assateague Island or along the Eastern Shore of Virginia.
Please consider us also as a wedding location or for any other family or company event!
We hope to See You Soon! You will love it here!
Savor a delicious full breakfast served at individual tables in our beautiful dining room.
Breakfast is usually served from 8:30 - 10:00 each morning to accommodate both "early risers" and those desiring to "sleep in".
Your breakfast will include fresh fruit and juices, cereals, home made yoghurt, breads or scrumptious muffins - and the entree of the morning. Sample entrees include German specialties like Weisswuerste, Leberkaese or Kirschenmichel or delicious American dishes like Eggs Florentine, fresh Blueberry Pancakes, our great feta cheese omlet or our egg roulade with delicious mustard dip. Everything comes with sausage or bacon.
Linger over breakfast with the finest coffee on the Eastern Shore or sample a new flavor of hot tea. Truly, a breakfast you'll remember.
We cater to vegetarians, vegans, guests on a gluten-free diet and much more. Please let us know in advance of any dietary restriction, since we might have to special order some food that is not available locally.
Special Event Catering
The Garden and Sea Inn offers American and European type food of superior quality - everything is home made from scratch, we don't use frozen or pre-made convenience food.
No matter if you plan a wedding, a family function or a corporate event - please consider us as your location.
We will work with you to create an unforgettable event with delicious food. Our crab cakes are amazing and ordered by most of our guests, but we can of course offer a wide variety of entrees - all sorts of seafood, chicken or beef dishes or even German specialties like Schweinebraten with Spaetzle and Sauerkraut, Oxtail Ragout, Kaesespaetzle and much more. Even a Schnitzel- or Wuerstchenparty is possible.
We can add appetizers, soups, salads, desserts, tea and coffee. And we have a nice selection of excellent wines from the area as well as from California, Europe or even South America. And - not to forget - some great beers like Augustiner Edelstoff, one of the best beers in the world made in Munich, Germany.
Please do not hesitate to give us a call or drop us a line for more information. For now, please check out our special events sheet, which should answer some of your questions.
Meet the Innkeepers
Dorothee and Thomas Renn bought the place in March 2008 and took over operation in April. Born and raised in Germany, we came to the U.S. to live our dream to own a Bed&Breakfast.
Both of us were tired of our busy jobs and were looking not for retirement, but for a slower pace and a change in lifestyle. Doro was a buyer for women's clothing for a German store chain, Thomas was working as IT Director (nowadays CIO) for a German company group.
New Church is one of the older settlements in the area, it dates back to the 1770s.
The oldest part of the Inn was build in 1802 as the "Bloxom Tavern" - so hospitality was the name of the game already in the old days. Over time, several sections of the building were added. The victorian facade you see today dates back to 1895.
The house was the Nelson families private residence from around 1850 till 1988, then it was sold and started out as a pretty upscale and well known fine dining restaurant. It was operated as a restaurant till 1994. Then the place changed hands again and was transferred into the beautiful Bed & Breakfast you see today.
Why should you stay with us?
Why stay off the Island and take the drive?
Well, we are a gorgeous estate-type property with three houses on a 5 acre lot, what offers a lot of privacy. You won't find a place like this on Chincoteague Island between the gas station and the post office. That's why!
We are sitting on 5 nicely landscaped acres, lots of room to roam and play. We have two ponds, lovely rose gardens, flower fields, a little forest and even a small wilderness section with lots of rabbits and other wildlife.
We have large rooms (250 - 650 sqft!) and large, en suite bathrooms, most with jacuzzi.
We have a heated outdoor pool.
We are located very centrally to everything. If you plan to visit other places than just Chincoteague (Cape Charles, Onancock, Crisfield, Berlin, Salisbury, Tangier Island), then our location actually saves you a lot of driving - 40 minutes every trip you make!
A Pet Friendly Bed and Breakfast near Chincoteague Island and the Chesapeake Bay
The Garden and Sea Inn welcomes all guests to bring their pets with them. We ourselves have an older Boxer lady named Chloe and a wonderful black cat named Fritz. Our pets are restricted to our quarters and do not access any public areas or even guest rooms. We only have a few rules (quiet in the rooms, leashed outside and not in or on the beds) which are to protect all of our Inn guests whether they have a pet with them or not. So come bring your pet and enjoy our grounds and the great pet friendly beaches nearby!
Please be advised that pets are not permitted at anytime on the Chincoteague end of Assateague Island. Not even in the car.
But the Garden and Sea Inn is located near two other pet friendly beaches. The Guard Shore beach is just 20 minutes away on the Chesapeake Bay. This beach has quiet surf and is virtually unknown, except by area townspeople.
The northern end of Assateague Island (near Ocean City) is about 50 minutes away on the Atlantic Ocean. Here you can enjoy playing in the surf with your dog and watching the wild ponies all on the same day.
Another maybe interesting adventure is a sandbar near Chincoteague Island, which is also pet friendly.
Captain Carltons Sandbar Shuttle will take you and your furry friend to this little Island. (dogs only on weekdays) Please check out www.captaincarlton.com
Please visit our website for driving directions to the pet friendly beaches
- Guard Shore Beach on the Chesapeake Bay
- National Seashore on the north End of Assateague
The Inn sits on almost 5 acres of wonderfully landscaped gardens and natural fields, so that pets have a large area to roam. We do ask that, in general, pets be kept on a leash at all times - out of respect for our other guests. There are many peaceful areas where you can sit and read or just enjoy the gardens with your best friend. We also have a walking path at the rear of the property, which is fairly rustic, but mowed. And we even offer a large (10 x 20 ft) kennel for guest use.
Pets are allowed to stay in the room, even without the owners being present, as long as they are quiet.
Since pets are very special at the Garden and Sea Inn, they have their own treats, right beside their owners, in our Garden House Parlor.
We also offer a Dog Lover's special, which includes a welcome goody bag in a food bowl for your dog and a little goodie bag for the owners.
We have been featured in the Virginia Dog Magazine.
- Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce: Things to do, www.chincoteaguechamber.com/visiting/recreation
- Chincoteague Island Events
- Chincoteague Visitors Guide
- Chincoteague Historic Main Street Merchants
- Pet Friendly Sandbar Shuttle
- Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, www.fws.gov/refuge/chincoteague
- Assateague Island National Seashore, www.nps.gov/asis/index.htm
Places Nearby in Maryland
- Tangier Island, www.tangierisland-va.com
- Tangier Island Ferry Schedules, www.tangierisland-va.com/transportation
- Pocomoke City Chamber of Commerce, www.pocomoke.com
- Delmarva Discovery Center, www.delmarvadiscoverycenter.org
- Pocomoke River State Park
- Paddle the beautiful and scenic Pocomoke River, www.pocomokerivercanoe.com
- Canooing or Kayaking with Ayers Creek Adventures, www.ayerscreekadventures.com
- Boat Rides on the Pocomoke River
- The Marva Theater
Pocomoke City, MD
- The Upper Deck (410) 957-3166
- AJs on the Creek, www.ajsonthecreek.com, (757) 336-5888
- Bills Seafood, billsseafoodrestaurant.com, (757) 336-5831
- Etta's Channelside Restaurant, www.ettaschannelside.com, (757) 336-5644
- Ray's Shanty, www.raysshanty.com, (757) 824-3429
- The Sea Shell Cafe (pets okay on porch) (757) 336-6005
- The Village (757) 336-5120
- The Charlotte Hotel, thecharlottehotel.com, (757) 787-7400
- Bizzottos (757) 787-3103
Snow Hill, MD
- The Palette (410) 632-0055
- Hotel Atlantic (pets okay on porch), www.atlantichotel.com, (410) 641-3589
Ocean City MD
- Hoopers Crab House, hooperscrabhouse.com, and particularly Sneaky Petes, hooperscrabhouse.com/sneaky-petes, (410) 213-1771
- Linda J Charters, Captain Gerry (757) 336-6214
- Captain Barry, www.chincoteague.com/captainb, (757) 336-6508
- Captain Spider, www.chincoteaguespider.com, (757) 990-4242
- Assateague Explorers (pet friendly), www.assateagueisland.com/explorer.htm, (757) 336-5956
- Daisey's Dockside Nature Cruises (pet friendly), www.daiseyscruises.com, (757) 336-5556
- Bloxom Winery, www.bloxomwinery.com, (757) 665-5670
- Chatham Vineyards, www.chathamvineyards.net, (757) 678-5588
- Holly Grove Vineyard (757) 442-2844
- Nassawango Country Club, Snow Hill, www.nassawango.com, (410) 632-3681
- Captains Cove Golf and Yacht Club, Greenbackville (757) 824-3465
- Care Free Pet Sitting, www.carefreepetsits.com, Chincoteague (757) 894-1390
- Seaside Pet Resort Melfa, www.yourpetsresort.com/main_files, (757) 787-8003
- Eastern Shore Animal Hospital Painter, www.esanimalhospital.com, (757) 442-3150 or 656-4125 (they also offer grooming service)
How to Find Us
From the North
- Take Route 13 South from Salisbury, MD
- One mile past the Maryland - Virginia State Line, turn right onto Route 710
- This is the first right turn after the Virginia Welcome Center
- The Inn is 1/4 mile down Route 710 on the right.
Approximate Driving Times
- Salisbury MD: 45 min
- Washington: 3.5 hours
- Baltimore: 3.5 hours
- Philadelphia: 3 hours
- New York City: 4.5 hours
From the South
- Follow Route 13 from Virginia Beach almost all the way north to the Maryland state line
- Once you have reached the intersection with Route 175 (the road to Chincoteague), keep going on Rt. 13 north for 2 more miles
- Watch out for a nicely illuminated seafood store ("Susans Seafood") on your left - turn left right behind it onto Route 709
- The Inn is on your right
Approximate driving times
- Bay Bridge/Tunnel: 1.5 hours
- Norfolk/VA Beach: 2 hours
- Richmond VA: 3.5 hours
- Outer Banks NC: 4-6 hours
- Savannah GA: 9 hours
- Miami FL: 16 hours