Falcon Manor -- B&B at Falcon Rest
Table Of Contents
A Restful Stay on the Grounds of Falcon Rest Mansion
Built by "Gorilla Pants" manufacturer Clay Faulkner in 1896, this Victorian mansion has been called "Tennessee's Biltmore" by PBS.
Located in McMinnville, Tennessee,Faulkner's solid-brick, 10,000-sq.-ft. mansion had all the " modern conveniences" when it was built -- electric lights, indoor plumbing, central heat, and more. Today, the National-Trust-award-winning property is filled with museum quality Victorian antiques, and some say it's presided over by a friendly ghost -- perhaps the proud builder himself.
The mansion is open daily for individual and group tours that bring elegance and the optimism of the 1890s to life. That retreat to the 1890s can be extended with a stay in one the overnight guest suites on its grounds.
A Romantic Retreat into History
Perhaps Mr. Faulkner named his mansion Falcon Rest to describe the restful, peaceful atmosphere of his home. That's also an appropriate description of an overnight stay at Falcon Manor, the four bed-and-breakfast-style guest suites on the mansion's grounds. Overnight guests "relive the 1890s" amid decor and antiques inspired by Falcon Rest, but with all the privacy and "modern conveniences" they could desire for a romantic, restful getaway.
They are favorite getaways for honeymooners and couples celebrating birthdays or wedding anniversaries. Of course, for lots of other folks, a simple retreat alone together is a special occasion all its own.
Though in a peaceful country setting, Falcon Manor is just minutes from downtown McMinnville. Its central location between Nashville, Chattanooga and Knoxville makes it an ideal base for a Middle Tennessee vacation.
All the guest suites are located close enough to Falcon Rest's dining, shopping and tour facilities for convenience, but far enough away from those areas and from each other to allow an extra degree of privacy.
The antiques and decor of the suites reflect those of the mansion itself, but following Clay Faulkner's example, they're equipped with all the "modern conveniences"
- Private baths
- Telephones with free local calls
- TV with music and movie channels
- Individual heat and air controls
- Hair dryers
- Irons and ironing boards
- Coffee pots
- Compact refrigerators and microwaves
- Free high-speed internet
Full gourmet breakfasts are included in the room rate, and sumptuous dinners are available on Friday and Saturday nights by reservation.
Tours and Group Tours
Learn the secrets, experience the mysteries, and see the beauty.
Guided tours of Falcon Rest Mansion bring the Clay Faulkner family and the 1890s to life for visitors of all ages.
There's Something For Everyone
The Victorian mansion called "Tennessee's Biltmore" by PBS. Mr. Faulkner's obituary called him a mechanical genius, so it's easy to understand why his mansion was equipped with "all the modern conveniences of a model city residence."
Museum quality Victorian antiques in every room.
Gardens reflecting the bounty of "the nursery capital of the world."
A restoration that so revived a near-derelict old building that it won the National Trust for Historic Preservations's "Great American Home Award" -- an inspiration to visitors who are redoing old homes themselves.
Intriguing accounts of experiences that hint Falcon Rest might be inhabited by a friendly ghost.
Real stories about real people associated with the mansion over the years, from Mr. Faulkner (the "secret soldier" of the Civil War) and his colorful family, through the hospital days and its dedicated restoration.
It all adds up to make Falcon Rest the Victorian mansion where history is fun.
Guided tours offered seven days a week 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. year round. Tour takes about an hour; walk-ins welcome. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.
- Adults $12
- Children $6 (age 4 through 12)
- No charge for children age 3 and under
- Sales tax additional
Be sure to come hungry! Enjoy a delicious lunch in our Victorian Tea Room any time during our regular operating hours.
Allow some time to shop for 1800s treasures. The Victorian Gift Shop has around 3,000 items you won't find anywhere else.
All buildings except the mansion are handicap accessible. There are three steps to the first floor of the mansion, and 24 very easy ones to the second floor. The buildings are close enough together to make it easy to walk from one to another.
Choose from four different shows, all of which include rib-ticking entertainment, delicious food, a historic mansion tour, and shopping for 1800s treasures in the Victorian Gift Shop.
- Vaudeville Style History Show
- Murder at the Mansion
- Honeymoon Ball of Gen. John Hunt Morgan
- Ghost at the Mansion
Add a step-on guided tour of the area for even more fun.
Kids Love Falcon Rest, Too
- School Trips
- Scout Tours
The way we hear it, some of the things group members like most are: Heritage Tourism, Interactive Entertainment, Outstanding Food, Uncommon Shopping. You can find every one of them right here at Falcon Rest.
When your folks can do -- not just one or two -- but four of the things they most enjoy at one place, planning a visit here is more than worthwhile. It could turn out to be the stop or day trip they talk about for years to come.
Please visit our website for full description of each show or tour.
We identify with motorcoach and tour operators, because like us many of us, you are running your own business. It's unusual to see a historic attraction in private hands, especially where the owners actually run it. But it's a real plus for you as a buyer.
You don't have to wonder who'll answer the phone next time you call, or if the service will be up to par. The person you talk to at the trade show (usually the gent) is the one who'll be entertaining your folks. The person who takes the reservation and helps you plan your trip (the Lady) is the one who'll see to it that your food is outstanding and your customers feel like kings and queens.
As a couple and as a company, we have a lifetime investment in seeing to it that your stop at Falcon Rest is one of the highlights of your trip.
George and Charlien McGlothin (aka The Victorian Gentleman and Lady).
Delicious Meals from Breakfast to DinnerFalcon Rest is famous for its outstanding food, from our trademark pink lemonade to elegant wedding hors d'oeuvres. Whether it’s a tasty "lunch in a basket" or a formal afternoon tea in our Victorian Tea Room, a romantic weekend dinner served in our elegant Victorian Carriage House or breakfast in the Carriage House or in your guest room; you’ll find our food to be a gourmet delight!
Combine lunch in the Victorian Tea Room with your Falcon Rest Mansion tour, enjoy a romantic weekend dinner with your sweetheart, or plan a festive meal for your group in one of three Victorian Carriage House dining rooms.
The Victorian Tea Room
The Tea Room is located in Falcon Rest's Visitor Center, next to the Victorian Gift Shop. Delightful outing for two or more; perfect getaway lunch for office mates; charming setting for bridesmaids luncheons, bridal or baby showers, and birthday parties (for young ladies of all ages). See our special events page for additional menus.
Lunch in a Basket
"Lunch in a basket" offered daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with or without tour. No reservations required, though advance notice is appreciated for groups of 8 or more.
- Gourmet Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwich or Ham and Cheese Melt on the croissant
- Served with French fried sweet potatoes Frozen fruit salad
- Homemade cheesecake brownies
- Falcon Rest's famous pink lemonade or iced tea
$9 per person plus tax
Vegetarian options available
Formal Victorian Tea
Please call ahead if you're prefer the tea, so you won't have to wait for us to put together all its delicious tidbits.
- Cinnamon Cream Scones with strawberry jam and fresh-whipped cream
- Fruit Tea Sandwiches Sweets
- Choice of hot or iced tea, coffee, or Falcon Rest's famous pink lemonade
$15 per person plus tax.
The tea menu is ideal for showers or birthday tea parties. Served at the table or buffet style for larger groups. (The Tea Room will seat up to 30.)
Already had lunch? Relax in the Tea Room with our signature desserts and/or beverages.
The Victorian Carriage House
Three adjoining dining rooms, totaling 2,000 square feet, boasting white marble tiled floors, crystal chandeliers, plaster molding, a sparking fountain and antique grand player piano.
Five mouth-watering recipes freshly prepared and imaginatively presented. All add up to dining celebrations perfect for birthdays, anniversaries, romance, business, or special times with friends and family.
Dinner by Reservation
Add dinner to your overnight stay on Friday or Saturday evenings. Or schedule dinner for a group of six or more any evening, depending on availability.
Herb chicken breast (boneless breasts marinated in a herb and vegetable medley, then slow baked for melt-in-your-mouth flavor) or choose our classic filet mignon.
Classic filet mignon wrapped in bacon and accompanied with béarnaise sauce, plus chef's choice of salad, two vegetables, and dessert, served with rolls, coffee, iced tea, and Falcon Rest's signature pink lemonade.
Full meal is $20 for herb chicken or $23 for filet mignon per person, plus tax.
Reservations accepted for parties of 10 or less up to 48 hours in advance. At least a weeks' notice is requested for larger groups.
Private Meals for Special Events
Victorian Carriage House luncheons and dinners are available daily year-round for groups of 20 to 150 by advance reservation of one week or more. Make your next business or civic meeting, church or company Christmas party, family or class reunion, or wedding rehearsal dinner an experience to remember with the menu of your choice served in Falcon Rest's Victorian Carriage House. See our Special Events Page or Weddings page for additional information.
Falcon Rest is perfect Tennessee wedding venue for any bride who loves Victorian mansions -- and for any couple who appreciate great food, great service and great fun. With years of experience hosting weddings, we can make it easy for you to enjoy your celebration!
Visit our website for a complete wedding price list.
Falcon Rest provides all catering, except for wedding cakes. Optional photography, decorations & officiant also available.
"My wedding was like a dream and you made all that possible. The food was delicious, the setting was fantastic, and the hospitality was warm and friendly. Everyone tells me what a nice time they had very relaxing. Thanks for making my wedding perfect."
Celebrate the most special occasion of your life in a venue equally as special. Imagine.
- An outdoor wedding against the backdrop of this opulent 1890s mansion, set in a beautiful Victorian courtyard
- An indoor ceremony in front of a mirrored mantle in the Victorian Carriage House Crimson Room
- A festive reception with outstanding food served in beautiful surroundings to celebrate your commitment
Outdoor weddings are picture-perfect in the privacy of our beautiful courtyard, with three different settings to choose from.
For those who prefer an indoor wedding (or don't want to leave their wedding to the whims of Mother Nature), Falcon Rest's Victorian Carriage House reception hall echos the decor of the mansion.
The 2,000 square-foot hall is specifically designed to accommodate large groups for receptions, dinners, or indoor weddings. Huge French doors open to the front veranda which faces the courtyard. The crimson-walled main dining room with its stage and carved fireplace, the piazza with its sparkling fountain and brick archways, and the sky-blue Dome Room lighted by a Bohemian crystal chandelier reflected in a massive mirror complete the Victorian elegance.
Want to see more? Come for a Mansion tour.
Over the years, we've found that people who love having their wedding at Falcon Rest are also people who love the mansion. Therefore, if you'd like to look over our wedding facilities, please call for an appointment to take our guided mansion tour. We'll be sure either the Victorian Gentleman or Lady is available to give you a personal tour, then answer any wedding questions you may have afterwards. Whatever you decide about the wedding, you'll have a great time on the tour. And if you schedule your wedding here, the admission price for your tours will be deducted from your final bill.
Falcon Rest Mansion also has the perfect menu and location for your:
- Bridesmaid's luncheon
- Bridal tea or shower
- Overnight accommodations on the grounds for your out-of-town guests or your honeymoon
- Rehearsal dinner
Our Victorian Carriage House is an elegant setting for a formal rehearsal dinner -- whether your wedding is at Falcon Rest or elsewhere.
Want to have fun with your rehearsal dinner? Schedule a performance of "Murder at the Mansion" to relieve those pre-wedding nerves and let your friends and family get to know each other in a fun setting.
Beautiful Setting, Delicious Food, Gracious Service
Falcon Rest's charming Victorian Tea Room and elegant Victorian Carriage House reception hall make it the ideal site for events small and large, with menus to fit almost any budget.
In the Victorian Carriage House
- Wedding Rehearsal Dinners
- High School Reunions
- Anniversary and Birthday Celebrations
- Christmas Parties for Companies, Churches, Organizations, and Families
- Political and Organizational Fund Raisers
- Family Reunions
- Business and Retirement Dinners or Receptions
- Meetings and Conferences (three dining rooms provide ideal breakout areas)
- Prom Night Dinners
- Sorority Parties
In the Victorian Tea Room
- Bridal Teas and Showers
- Bridesmaids' Luncheons
- Baby Showers
- Birthday Parties or Teas (young ladies of all ages love them!)
- Sales and Business Meetings (after 5 p.m.)
- Holiday Luncheons
Things To Do in Our Area
You'll find a kaleidoscope of intriguing special events and charming small town attractions 'most any time you're in Middle Tennessee and the Upper Cumberland area.
Explore magnificent Cumberland Caverns, Tennessee's largest cave. It's a must-see for anyone traveling in this area. Located just outside of McMinnville, it is open daily to the public year round.
Stay at Falcon Manor during your visit for a popular Bluegrass Underground concert at Cumberland Caverns.
See Monty Wanamaker's Southern Museum and Gallery of Photography, History and Culture on Main Street in McMinnville. Open from 10 to 4 Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, it's a treasure of local history. Call Monty for details: 931-507-8102.
Enjoy other fascinating downtown locations such as the Warren County Heritage Center and more Main Street McMinnville treasures.
Hike, bicycle, or play golf at ne
arby Fall Creek Falls, the "crown jewel of Tennessee state parks." (For a mountain getaway near Fall Creek Falls Park, check out Cozy Cabins and Cottages or Mountain Glen RV Park & Campground.)
Swim at Rock Island State Park's natural sandbar beach or fish in its famous "Blue Hole," only a few miles from McMinnville on the headwaters of Center Hill Lake. (See Rock Island's Fac
ebook page for activity schedules.) Find out why Olympic class kayakers love Rock Island's water.
If you prefer, hike the unspoiled Savage Gulf. Golfers can enjoy mountain scenery just a few miles from town at the Collins River Golf Course.
Select trees and shrubs at one of the multitude of nurseries here in Warren County, the "nursery capital of the world."
Don't forget "Jack Daniel's country" in Lynchburg, less than an hour's drive, explore the quaint town of Bell Buckle and other attractions in Tennessee's back roads.
Treat yourself to a first-class play at the Cumberland County Playhouse, "Tennessee's Family Theater," just an hour away in Crossville.
Retrace troop movements in the Civil War battles for Tennessee. Some 15,000 Federal soldiers camped just down the road for a year, and the Union and Confederacy swapped control of this area numerous times. Civil War buffs will want to visit Stone's River Battlefield about an hour northwest of McMinnville and the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Parks just a little further to the southeast.
Take in Nashville's Hermitage and Grand Ole Opry; or Chattanooga's Aquarium, Rock City; and Ruby Falls; all just an hour and a half away. For more information, see sites for the Convention and Visitor's Bureaus in Chattanooga and Nashville.
Or drive less than three hours to the Smokies' Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.
If you're heading west between Nashville and Memphis, plan a stop at the Tennessee River Freshwater Pearl Farm, the only freshwater pearl-culturing farm operation in the North American continent.
We're on your way to anywhere in Middle Tennessee. Easy access from I-24 & I-40.
- Nashville: 1 1/2 hrs
- Chattanooga: 1 1/2 hrs
- Knoxville: 2 hrs
- Pigeon Forge: 3 hrs
- Atlanta: 3 1/2 hrs
- Birmingham: 4 hrs
- Jack Daniel’s: 50 min
- Cumberland County Playhouse: 50 min
Halfway between Nashville & Chattanooga, 25 mi. East of I-24 at Manchester Exit 111.
33 miles South of I-40 Smithville Exit 273, between Nashville and Knoxville.
Just remember that Falcon Rest is in the country 2-1/2 miles NORTH of the McMinnville courthouse square, so follow these directions instead of wandering off downtown.
NOTE: Hwy. 56 (coming from the southwest) & Hwy. 30 (coming from the east) are beautiful, winding mountain roads. That's great if you're interested in scenery but not a good way to come if you want a direct route. Falcon Rest is 1.3 miles north of the Hwy. 70S Bypass at the end of Faulkner Springs Rd.
Direct route from I-24
- Take Manchester Exit 111 (Hwy. 55) to McMinnville
- Do not turn and go to the McMinnville business district. Instead, keep going straight and follow Hwy. 70S signs toward Sparta
- You'll pass Wal-Mart, Applebee's and Korner Market
- Turn left onto Faulkner Springs Road at the light AFTER the one at the Korner Market (Supreme Building Products is at the intersection to the right)
The closest way from Nashville
- Come from I-24 through Murfreesboro
- Take Exit 81-B
- Turn right at the first traffic light onto Rutherford Blvd
- After you pass Wal-Mart, turn right again onto Mercury Blvd., which is Hwy. 70S
- Go through Woodbury and into McMinnville (Enjoy the new four-lane Hwy. 70S between Woodbury and McMinnville. Ignore your GPS if it nags you to turn back onto the old two-lane highway!)
- Instead of going straight to the downtown McMinnville business district, take the exit toward Sparta onto the Hwy. 70S Bypass
- Turn left onto Faulkner Springs Road at the FIFTH traffic light (the one after Korner Market)
Follow directions from I-24 through Manchester. Or, choose the scenic route across the gorgeous Sequatchie Valley (just beware of deer at dusk!):
- Take Hwy. 27 across the Tennessee River at the Aquarium, then Hwy. 111 past Dunlap
- Approximately 10+ miles past the Dunlap turnoff, turn left onto Hwy. 8
- Turn right when Hwy. 8 meets Hwy. 56 on the outskirts of McMinnville, enter downtown on Main Street, take the first right onto Sparta St., first left onto Morford St., and first right onto Spring St.
- Go straight across the Hwy. 70S Bypass, where Spring St. becomes Faulkner Springs Rd. (Call for directions with less turns if you'll be in a motorcoach!)
From Huntsville, Ala.
- Go through Fayetteville, Tullahoma and Manchester, Tenn. Don't turn onto I-24
- Instead, go straight across the Interstate and follow the directions above from Manchester Exit 111
From I-40 East (Knoxville or Crossville)
- Go west on I-40 to Crossville Exit 317. Turn left at the end of the ramp; go about 1-1/2 miles and turn right at the traffic light by Walgreens
- Stay on this road (Hwy. 70) just through Sparta, then turn left onto Hwy. 111
- A couple of miles south of Sparta, take fork toward McMinnville on Hwy. 70S. Stay on the four-lane Hwy. 70S Bypass in McMinnville, and turn right at the fourth traffic light onto Faulkner Springs Road
- If you'd prefer to stay on 4-lane roads all the way from Knoxville,take I-40 west to Cookeville
- Exit onto Hwy. 111 toward Sparta
- Follow directions above from Sparta
From I-40 West (toward Nashville)
- Take Exit 273 south through Smithville into McMinnville
- Turn left onto the Hwy. 70S Bypass, then left again at the second traffic light onto Faulkner Springs Road
From Fall Creek Falls State Park
- Exit the park at the south gate onto Hwy. 284. For the quickest route, go straight across Hwy. 111 instead of turning north to Spencer. Hwy. 284 curves north and meets Hwy. 30 west of Spencer
- Turn left onto Hwy. 30. Go to the end of Hwy. 30, and turn leftwhere it "y's" into Hwy. 70S
- Go to the fourth traffic light; turn right onto Faulkner Springs Rd.