Abingdon Manor An Extraordinary Inn & Restaurant
Table Of Contents
One of a select few Four Diamond Inns and Restaurants in South Carolina. Are you on your way to or through South Carolina for business or pleasure? Abingdon Manor is the only full service Country Inn in the Florence area. On the way to Florida, Charleston or Hilton Head, treat yourself to a pampered overnight stay. Abingdon Manor is just five miles east of I-95 at exit 181, the halfway point between New York City and Palm Beach.
In the quiet turn-of-the-century town of Latta, experience the grandeur of Abingdon Manor, an opulent Greek Revival building in a style reminiscent of an English Country Estate and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The grand entry hall, elegant common rooms and luxurious guest rooms make Abingdon Manor a perfect location for overnight lodging, indulgent get-aways, special or holiday events and business retreats. Once you have arrived, you do not need to go anywhere. Fine dining and liquor service available as well as all the amenities to make your stay restful and uncomplicated. Business travelers click here for more info! At Abingdon Manor experience the accommodations and services of a small luxury hotel, with seven guest rooms. Each distinctive room offers, private bath, and individual temperature controls. A great get away for people wanting to relax and unwine. The area offers leisure activities not too taxing, allowing you recharge and reconnect. Abington Manor's cooking school featured in Southern living has over 500 alumni and is a great way to spend a weekend.
Within a thirty mile radius, guests can experience championship golf courses, antiquing and estate auctions, a multitude of recreational facilities or tour museums, galleries and historic towns.
Should your entertaining or business plans require a setting of quiet elegance, the entry hall, parlors, library, dining room and verandah of Abingdon Manor provide the perfect surroundings. The Innkeepers are available to coordinate all catering or special event details.
A full breakfast is served from 7:45 a.m. until 9:00 a.m. Cocktails and fine dining are available nightly.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Mike for sharing his own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
We are the overnight destination on the east coast for people on their way to other destinations. We are the only luxury accommodations and fine dining, close to I-95 (the main auto corridor) between Richmond, VA and Jacksonville, FL.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
The food. With a AAA Four Diamond rating for the restaurant for the past 15 consecutive years, we are the regions highest rated restaurant.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
Peace and tranquility and a chance to relax and unwind (even if only for overnight). Guests typically refer to us as "an oasis."
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
The food is better then The Inn at Little Washington (consistently rated one of the top restaurants in the US).
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
Quant turn of the century village within 5 miles of Interstate 95.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
Antiquing in surrounding towns, Championship golf 15 minutes away, visit the South Carolina Farmlife and Tobacco Museum, kayak the scenic Little Pee Dee River.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
A walking tour of 47 properties on the National Register.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
The Dining Room at Abingdon Manor – Four Diamond fine dining in a European style environment.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference?
Discover South Carolina.
How many rooms does your inn have?
Seven guest rooms in 10,000 square feet.
Do you accept pets?
We have a pet sitter within 1 miles who takes the pets into her home (not kenneled). View more pet info on our website.
The Inn's Restaurant
Abingdon Manor is one of the few Florence area lodging establishments to offer on premise evening dining and liquor service. The dining room has received AAA's Four Diamond Award for the past 15 years.
"Elegant, yet unpretentious ambiance. Unsurpassed attention to detail, Friendly, accommodating hosts. This is the stuff great country inns are made of, and Abingdon Manor in Latta impressively makes the grade. But the element that distinguishes this stately mansion from all the rest can be experienced at the tables of its finely appointed dining room. Guests (know) they'll never have to leave the premises to forage for a memorable dining experience." -An online guest review
Intimately lighted individual tables, imported crystal, Villeroy & Boch china, sterling silver, and the lyric melodies of Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald await dinner guests at Abingdon Manor. Entrees change daily depending on what is fresh and available. Richly textured with herbs and vegetables from the Inn's gardens, meals include amuse gueule, soup, salad, bread, sorbet, entree with accompaniments and dessert. Upcoming menus include such entrees as Coq au vin, filet of beef with borderlaise sauce, Caribbean snapper, individual beef wellington and desserts such as, chocolate mousse, creme brulee, tartes Tatin with cinnamon ice cream. Individual preferences and dietary restrictions are taken into consideration. Dinner begins at 7:30. Dinner is $55.00 per person plus 10% tax and 20% gratuity.
Liquors, Wine & Beer
Fully licensed for on premises liquor, wine and beer sales, Abingdon Manor is pleased to offer an assortment of premium products. The wines have been carefully chosen and can be enjoyed in your room or with meal service.
Included in Room Rate
- Evening turn down with champagne & chocolates
- Early morning coffee and tea service, beginning at 7 a.m., on the guest room level
- Full breakfast, served in the dining room, from 7:45-9:00 a.m.
Quality food service has become a hallmark at Abingdon Manor. Menus vary, depending on the season and availability of locally grown items such as berries, herbs and produce. The expansive first floor encompassing approximately 4,000 square feet can be configured to accommodate groups of 5 to 125, and events ranging from private dinners to wedding receptions. Innovative menus are carefully crafted to suit tastes and budgets.
Lunch to go
- Take along a little more of Abingdon Manor with lunch for the road
- Priced from $10 per person
"Treat yourself to a memorable dining experience" South Carolina Magazine - Destination Dining
Three acres of landscaped grounds surround the Inn for guests to enjoy along with 2 patios and 2,000 feet of Verandahs with rocking chairs. A large herb garden, rose garden, fountain garden and heritage garden are incorporated into the landscape.
About the Inn
Abingdon Manor enhances the entrance to one of Latta's three National Register historic residential districts. The property is an entire city block, encompassing more than three acres. The porches and verandahs put a southern trademark on the otherwise European style facade. The rockers and shaded alcoves beckon visitors to sit and relax.
Just outside the kitchen door is the herb garden. This area attracts both guests and butterflies and adds flavor and color to many of the meals prepared at Abingdon Manor.
The island under the enormous papershell pecan tree on the southwest lawn is a natural gathering place. Dappled sunlight, a comfortable adirondack chair, a tall glass of homemade lemonade and a novel is the Abingdon Manor recipe for a nap.
The Common Rooms
With over 4,000 square feet of inside common areas, guests never feel crowded. These expansive rooms and cozy nooks allow you to mingle with other guests or have a private space in addition to your oversized guest room. Additionally, make yourself at home on the upstairs porch, the 2,000 square foot verandah, as well as in the gardens and grounds of the Manor which encompass three acres.
A cozy area just off the main hall provides a quiet spot for reading and relaxing. Guests are welcome to take a book from the extensive collection and return it to the Inn when finished.
The Dining Room
The unusual brick and terra-cotta fireplace dominates the large dining room which seats twenty at individual pub tables. Close enough for socializing, the arrangement allows for personal space for Inn diners. Place settings of sterling silver, European china and crystal, candlelight and classical music provide an elegant backdrop for the Inns fresh and inventive cuisine.
The Gentlemens Parlor
The cranberry colored walls and elegant furnishings of this room create the setting for small private parties, corporate retreats or large receptions. The original eight foot beveled glass mirror faces it's twin across the entry hall in the ladies parlor.
The upstairs hall leads toward the 10 foot French doors to the front balcony through this bright sitting area. Enjoy a book, conversation or morning coffee on the sofa inside or outside overlooking the grounds and historic Church Street. The early morning coffee service is provided on the marble topped sideboard.
Located on the main floor at the bottom of the back stairs, the honor bar features premium liquors (in mini bottles), beer and a variety of soft drinks. Guests can help themselves before or after cocktail time at 7 pm by simply filling out a guest ticket. Complimentary fruit and packaged snacks are also available.
This inviting parlor features a white on white fireplace mantle of carved wood and ceramic tile, original plantation shutters and an intriguing three foot door which was used to provide coal for the fireplace in a bygone era.
Abingdon Manor is not a typical B&B. In fact, in 2001 AAA upgraded our designation from B&B to Country Inn in their tour book.
Many business travelers shy away from B&Bs due to perceptions such as: (1) lack of privacy; (2) outdated facilities; (3) forced interaction with other guests at meals; (4) it’s a romantic place you’d only go with your spouse, etc.
You’ll find that things are a lot different here and that as former corporate travelers we understand and meet your lodging requirements.
- Special weekday business rate. For Sunday through Thursday night single occupancy we offer 10% off each guest room with complimentary upgrade if available.
- A flexible cancellation policy. As opposed to the normal 72 hours, business travelers can cancel up to 3pm of check-in date with no penalty.
- Well lighted private bathrooms with many amenities including emergency toiletries. A hair dryer, iron and ironing board provided in each guest room.
- Television with expanded cable and remote control in all rooms.
- Well lighted work areas in each room as well as several other work areas and conferencing facilities available throughout the Inn.
- Business amenities include availability of HP laser printer, office supplies, private guest phone line, wireless internet.
- Flexible check-in as late as 11 p.m. with advance notice.
- Full breakfast is available as early as 7:45 a.m. at individual tables with availability of a "breakfast to go" for earlier departures.
- One of the few Florence lodging establishments with onsite food service. Fine dining is available every night. You may also arrange to entertain clients or vendors in a unique and private setting.
- Full liquor, beer and wine service is available.
- Early morning coffee and tea service on the guest level prior to breakfast.
- All major credit cards accepted as well as corporate billing if arranged in advance.
- Lots of space. The Inn has 8,500 square feet of interior space with oversized guest rooms and many common areas - you won’t lack for privacy.
- You’re not just a head on a bed to us. You can have as much privacy and solitude as needed, but with the comfort of knowing that personal attention and interaction are available in a non-threatening environment.
- Security. Situated on three acres in a residential neighborhood your possessions and personal safety are not an issue. With resident owners your added safety and comfort are guaranteed. All guest rooms are equipped with deadbolts and security locks.
- Just 20 minutes from the Florence airport, any destination in the greater Florence area is a 30 minute or less drive away.
Latta is located on US Rt. 301 just 5 miles east of I-95. The town is 25 miles north of Florence, SC and 12 miles south of the North Carolina border. It is 1 & 1/2 hours from Columbia, SC and 2 & 1/2 hours from Charlotte and Raleigh, NC and Charleston, SC.
Mileage to Latta and Driving Time @ 65 mph
- Portland - 914-14 hours
- Boston - 801-12.5 hours
- Providence - 774-12 hours
- New York - 619-10 hours
- Philadelphia - 509-8 hours
- Baltimore - 435-7 hours
- Washington - 359-5.5 hours
- Richmond - 275-4 hours
- Fayetteville - 57-1 hour
- Florence - 25-20 minutes
- Columbia (west) - 90-1.5 hours
- Atlanta (west) - 287-5 hours
- Savannah - 183-3 hours
- Orlando - 487-7.5 hours
- Miami - 673-10 hours
- From I-95 take exit 181
- Go east and follow signs to Latta on Route 917 which becomes Main Street
- At first light (Marion Street) turn left
- At Methodist Church, take right fork (Church Street) and follow to end, Abingdon Manor is on the left
On Routes 301-501 going north, go past Main Street to next light (Academy Street), turn left and go three blocks, Abingdon Manor is on the corner of Church and Academy Streets.