Carriage Corner Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
Welcome to peaceful Lancaster County and the Carriage Corner Bed and Breakfast, founded in 1979 as the original bed and breakfast of Intercourse, Pennsylvania. Our village is prominent as "a quaint country village that does not exist anywhere else anymore" and is sometimes referred to as the "Capital of the Amish" it's "a hustling village from yesteryear with Amish buggies converging" centered in Pennsylvania Dutch Country.
Carriage Corner B&B has been inspected by the Pennsylvania Touring & Lodging Association and is a member of Pennsylvania Dutch Convention and Visitors Bureau.
A bright, airy and inviting home built as a Bed & Breakfast in 1980. There is a warm and friendly atmosphere, and guests from all parts of the world enjoy conversing in the living-common room area and around the breakfast table. Guests refer to the Bed & Breakfast as being "comfortable" and appreciate the highlights of the tasteful country theme, the Amish quilts hanging in the rooms and the reproductions of early American furniture by local craftsmen.
Meet your Innkeepers
Please accept this personal invitation to stay at Carriage Corner Bed and Breakfast in Intercourse, Pennsylvania, a quintessential Amish community. As our guest, you will become acquainted with our charming Village founded in 1754 and the picturesque Amish countryside. For a true taste of Pennsylvania Dutch delights begin with a walk into the center of town to Kitchen Kettle Village with over 39 shops, cafes and sampling opportunities your taste buds simply can't ignore.
At the B&B, relax in our common room with a cup of coffee or tea and enjoy the bookshelve filled with the stories of the tradition of the Pennsylvania Dutch and other early settlers, as well as aspects of our rural farm community. Wake up each morning and let the smell of freshly brewed coffee and the full country breakfast lure you to the dining area. Enjoy the company and laughter of others around the table and be prepared to enter into some new friendships, including visitors from far off countries.
Your resident host innkeepers will enhance your visit with their suggestions and help you to enjoy your time a bit more, so leave your schedule behind and be prepared to escape to a simpler life; relax, there's no hurry! We promise to keep the "home fires burning" while you strike out on your ventures to new places where "Plain" folk work the land much the way they've done for the past 100 years. Just watch out though, for in this "Capital of the Amish," buggies and children on scooters will be crossing your path!
We welcome you to this “Garden Spot of America”, where fun feels different! We recommend a getaway experience of three to four days so you have time to explore and absorb the scenes of calming beauty as they unfold before you along the rolling farmlands of Lancaster County. You may wish to add days to your escape to explore Hershey, Gettysburg, Longwood Gardens, and the Brandywine or consider Shank's Mare Outfitters, a one-stop shop for kayaking, canoeing or hiking along the Susquehanna River. One of the very best ways to experience this vibrant pastoral corridor is on a bicycle, so bring yours along and we'll be glad to suggest some routes for you.
We look forward to providing an accommodating base from which you can immerse yourself in the Pennsylvania Dutch country experience.
Jay & Gaylen Matlock, Innkeepers
The B&B is in close proximity to all of Lancaster County's visitor attractions and central to a variety of eateries that serve heaping portions of home cooked, locally raised foods. Four star gourmet cuisine is also waiting for you here as well as outdoor/adventure activities such as bicycling, kayaking, and golf. The sister villages of Strasburg and Bird-in-Hand are nearby, and the historic towns of Lititz, Ephrata, Lancaster City and Hershey are a 20-40 minutes drive.
One of our guests described our location as being “right in the middle of Amish country with carriages rolling by, Amish boys on scooters, and girls in bonnets playing games.”
Just a 10 minute stroll into the Village is a hustling center from yesteryear where Amish buggies converge. Intercourse offers a myriad of local craft, quilt, tin and furniture shops, our own pretzel factory, as well as antique and art galleries with both new and old treasurers. The Old Country Store is a charming store with an old fashioned merchantile feel, the Amish Experience Theater (Jacob's Choice) a creative presentation of the difficult decision Amish youth face-to join the faith or live in the outside world. “Who are the Amish” at The Mennonite Information Center provides a documentary presentation of local history and culture. Kitchen Kettle Village is a charming grouping a 39 shops within the Village and is built around a jam and jelly kitchen. Kitchen Kettle hosts special festivals throughout the year for all to enjoy.
Jay and Gaylen work together in the Inn to make your stay pleasant and relaxing. We love the chance to meet new friends and have a lively conversation.
At check-in your Innkeeper will provide a "Map and Visitors Guide" and will offer to acclimate each guest to the land of the Pennsylvania Dutch and the world of the “plain” folk as well as the Village of Intercourse, which some claim is the center of the universe…(you'll see that our B&B is just on the edge of the Village and so …… we're slightly off center!)
You may order a Map and Visitor's Guide ahead of your visit from the Tourist Bureau (1-800-PA DUTCH) and we recommend making reservations ahead of time for special occasions at fine dining restaurants (especially on holiday weekends…we would be glad to assist you with that). Tickets for Sight and Sound's Millennium Theater, The American Music Theatre are best purchased in advance as well. If you desire to have dinner in an Amish home, we will kindly arrange that prior to your arrival if there happens to be an Amish family serving.
Remember, "Fun feels different here"...
Avail yourself of nearby country roads for bicycling, rollerblading, jogging or a leisurely walk.
"A visit to the Carriage Corner B&B is a perfect introduction to the original B&B getaway: affordable lodging, genuine hospitality, delicious food and immaculate housekeeping" - Sandra W. Soule, Travel Writer
You may be enriched by the following:
Heritage Sites, Interpretations and Tours
- The Amish Experience F/X Theater-www.amishexperience.com
- Lancaster Central Market (established in 1732)
- The People's Place Quilt Museum-www.ppquiltmuseum.com
- Landis Valley Museum-www.landisvalleymuseum.org
- Lancaster Cultural History Museum-www.lancasterheritage.com
- Lancaster Quilt and Textile Museum-www.quiltandtextilemuseum.com
- "Living the Experience" - Underground Railroad-livingtheundergroundrailroad.com
- The Amish Village,-www.800padutch.com/avillage.html
- The Amish Farm and House-www.amishfarmandhouse.com
- Horse Drawn Buggy Rides-www.amishbuggyrides.com
- Ephrata Cloister,an 18th Century communal society- www.ephratacloister.org
- Historic Strasburg - Main Street walking tour-www.strasburg.com
- Historic Intercourse-www.intercoursemerchants.org
- Village of Bird-in-Hand-www.bird-in-hand.com
- Strasburg Stream Railroad-www.strasburgrailroad.com
- Pennsylvania State Railroad Musem-www.rrmuseumpa.org
- Rough and Tumble-www.roughandtumble.org
- Americana Museum of Bird-in-Hand-www.bird-in-hand.com/americanamuseum
- The National Watch and Clock Museum-www.nawcc.org/museum/museum.htm
- The National Christmas Center-www.nationalchristmascenter.com
- American Edge Weaponry Museum
- Covered Bridges
- Heritage reenactments
- Hershey Museum-www.hersheymuseum.org
- Hersheypark (Amusement)
- Historic Lancaster- "Centuries of Fun in Just a Day!"-www.cityoflancasterpa.com
- Amish Farm and House-www.amishfarmandhouse.com
- Amish Country Tours-www.amishexperience.com
Available at the B&B
- Heritage Auto Tour Maps
- Cassette Auto Tour
- Historic Walking Tour maps
- Underground Railroad Tour
- Bicycle maps and routes
- Calendar of Events
- A cultural overview: "First time visitor", and the morning "Intelligencer Journal" newspaper
- Greenfield Inn-www.theoldegreenfieldinn.com
- Revere Tavern-www.reveretavern.com
- The Log Cabin-www.logcabinrestaurant.com
- Mazzi Restaurant-www.mazzirestaurant.com
- Rosa Rosa Ristorante ItalianoPA Dutch Family Style Dining:
- Family Cupboard
- Stoltzfus Restaurant
- Plain and Fancy Restaurant-www.plainandfancyfarm.com
- Shady Maple Restaurant-www.shady-maple.com
- Miller's Smorgasbord-www.millerssmorgasbord.com
- Sight and Sound Millenium Theater-www.bibleonstage.com
- The American Music Theatre-www.americanmusictheatre.com
- Rainbow Dinner Theatre-www.rainbowdinnertheatre.com
- Fulton Opera House-www.fultontheatre.org
- The Dutch Apple Theatre-www.dutchapple.com
- Mt. Hope Estate & Winery-www.parenfaire.com
- Long's Park (Summer Concerts)-www.longspark.org
- Destinations, Leola Village-www.leolavillage.com/dds.cfm
- Spa at Intercourse Village-www.thespaatintercoursevillage.com
- Old Road Furniture
- Kitchen Kettle Village-www.kitchenkettle.com
- Amish Quilt and Furniture Shops
- Peaceful Valley Furniture
- Old Mill House Shoppes-www.oldemillhouse.com
- Martin's Chair-www.martinschair.com
- Intercourse Canning Company-www.intercoursecanning.com
- Dutchland Quilt Patch- www.dutchlandquilts.com
- Bird-in-Hand Farmer's Market-www.bird-in-hand.com
- Country Creations
- Roadside stands
- Stoltzfus Meats-www.stoltzfusmeats.com
- Handcrafted Folk Art
- Lapps Quilt Shop
- Roots Country Market & Auction-www.rootsmarket.com
- Green Dragon Farmers Market-www.greendragonmarket.com
- Wilbur Chocolate Factory-www.wilburbuds.com
- Labadie Looms (handspun, hand dyed wools)-www.labadielooms.com
- Lapps Coach Shop
- The Old Country Store-www.theoldcountrystore.com
- Old Candle Barn-www.oldcandlebarn.com
- Family Creations-www.family-creations.com
- Village Pottery
- Eldreth Pottery-www.eldrethpottery.com
- Strasburg Country Store and Creamery-www.strasburg.com
- Riehl's Quilts and Crafts
- Rockvale Outlets-www.RockvaleOutletsLancaster.com
- Tanger Outlet Center-www.tangeroutlet.com
- VF “Outlet Village”-www.vfovillage.com
- Stouts Antique Mall-www.stoudtsblackangusantiques.com
- Shupps Grove-www.shuppsgrove.com
- Antique Galleries
- Double Heart Gallery
- Wild Goose Gallery
- Amishland Prints
- Dutchland Gallery-www.dutchlandgalleries.com
- First Friday (Lancaster)-www.lancasterarts.com
- Freiman Stoltzfus Gallery-www.freimanstoltzfus.com
- Christiane David Gallery-www.christianedavid.com
- Long's Park Art & Craft Festival
- Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire-www.parenfaire.com
- Horse and Farm Equipment Auctions
- Craft and Quilt Fairs
- Lapps Family Farm (homemade ice cream)
- Sturgis Pretzels (oldest in the country)
- The Amazing Maze-www.cherrycrestfarm.com
- Dutch Wonderland-www.dutchwonderland.com
Outdoor and Sports
- Balloon Flights-www.ushotairballoon.com
- Waters Edge Miniature Golf-www.bird-in-hand.com
- Lancaster Barnstormers (semi-pro baseball)-www.lancasterbarnstormers.com
- Kayaking/Hiking (Susquehanna River)-www.shanksmare.com
- Lancaster Bicycle Club-www.lancasterbikeclub.org
- Lancaster Host Resort, www.lancasterhost.com
- Willow Valley Conference Center, www.willowvalley.com
Side Ventures of Import
- Hershey's Chocolate World, "The Sweetest Place on Earth"-www.hersheyschocolateworld.com
- Valley Forge-www.nps.gov/vafo/index.htm
- Longwood Gardens, www.longwoodgardens.com
- Brandywine River Museum-www.brandywinemuseum.org
We believe a gift certificate for a Bed & Breakfast getaway is truly a significant gift for the recipient. The experience of a B&B stay coupled with the journey in this peaceful land will provide memories that will last a lifetime.
Gift certificates can be purchased through our website!
How To Find Us
From the West
- The B&B is located approximately 12 miles directly east of Lancaster
- From the Route 30 by-pass, exit on Route 340 East
- Continue through Bird-in-Hand for 5 miles into Intercourse
- Drive through the village and bear right on Route 772 (in front of the Weaponry Museum with a Civil War Cannon)
- Two blocks east make a left on Hollander Road and our driveway will be immediately on the right (white gazebo sits on corner)
From the East (PA Turnpike)
- PA Turnpike Exit #298 (Morgantown)
- Follow signs for Route 10 South (Rt. 10 for 12 miles)
- Route 340 West for 10 miles
- Intercourse: Traveler's Rest Motel on right, left at light on Hollander
- Last driveway on left
Policies & Guest Information
- We have free WiFi throughout the Bed & Breakfast
- All rooms have queen beds, luxurious linens and beautiful Amish Quilts; fireplaces, Flat-ScreenTV's with cable, hair dryers, Spa Quality bath products; fans and central AC
- All rooms have private baths
- Prices based on double occupancy
- We have complimentary coffee, water, & freshly baked cookies available at all times
- We are taxed at a rate of 7.1%
Minimum stays may be required during peak periods.
Reservation & Confirmation
We will e-mail, or mail a confirmation as soon as we receive your reservation information. Since the majority of our guests prefer the convenience of viewing on-line availability and booking, we have added this feature (simply click on our Reservation Page and follow through with making a reservation request). You may also call us to make a reservation if that is what you prefer - personal contact is always an important element of a B&B. We do our best to answer the phone between 10:00 a.m. until 9 p.m., but we may be busy with guests and will get back to you as soon as possible.
A $50.00 deposit is required at the time of making your reservation. Balance is due upon arrival. We accept all forms of payment including: personal and traveler's checks, cash, Visa & MasterCard. Group Reservations are held with a deposit due at booking or 6 weeks prior to arrival and are nonrefundable. Rates are subject to a 7.1% State / Local tax.
Payment & Cancellation
Cancellation deadline is 14 days prior to arrival date. If you cancel before the deadline, you will only be charged a $50 cancellation fee. If you cancel after the deadline, you will be billed for the days you had booked unless we can fill your room with other guests. No shows and same day cancellations are subject to the full room rate. There are no refunds for early departure.
Additional Charges & Children
We have limited accommodations for children over the age of 12. They must bring well-behaved parents. There is an additional charge of $20 for each additional person per room, regardless of age. Please Note: we do not provide a special children’s menu at breakfast.
Check-in & Check-out
Check-in is between the hours of 4:00 and 7:00 PM. Please let us know if you plan to arrive later or are delayed, please contact us. Check-out time is 10:30 a.m.
A full breakfast is served at 8:30 AM each morning with freshly brewed coffee available starting at 7:30 AM. There is a Keurig available 24 hours.
Guests have access to a wireless Internet for their duration of the stay.
Smoking & Pets
For the comfort and safety of our guests we are a non-smoking Inn and limit smoking to outdoors only. We have no facilities for pets.
Bee Kind body wash, shampoo & conditioner is provided in all showers. Bee Kind hand wash and lotion is provided by the sinks. There are robes and hair dryers provided. An iron is available if needed. There is a guest refrigerator in the garage and bottled water is available for your convenience. There is some sort of baked good in the dining room each afternoon along with a keurig and kettle available for afternoon snacks.