BBOnline Member SINCE 2004

Susanna's Guest House

314 Susanna Way, New Richmond, Ohio 45157
Innkeeper(s): David Vorn Holt

Captain Wagner Room

From $125.00 / night

Susanna's Guest House, Captain Ernest Wagner RoomCaptain Ernest E. Wagner was one of the last old time roof captains, who played an important role in the future or steamboating in America. Before he became a master at 25, he previously had served as a coal passer, ice cream vendor, deck hand, and watchman. He was a mate on excursion steamer Avalon, and then commanded the Delta Queen, which was the sole surviving tourist steamboat in the country. He also helped refit the Delta Queen to ensure her survival, and then went on to be the first master of the Mississippi Queen.

First floor guest room with a riverboat captain theme.



From $125.00 / night

Susanna's Guest House,  O'Rourke RoomFirst floor suite with a seventeenth century map of Ireland, paintings of the Irish countryside and coffee table for reading.

Old Irish decor with queen size poster bed and pillow mattress.


Captain Hawley/Calliope Suite

$145.00 / $165.00 night

Susanna's Guest House, Doc Hawley RoomCaptain Clarke C. (Doc) Hawley began his river career luring passengers to the Avalon via her steam calliope. He served as master of three of the five remaining Mississippi River System steamboats during the course of his river career, and has done much to promote river history. His generosity in sharing steamboat artifacts and knowledge is boundless, and he has preserved steam calliope music on tapes and records. Also, he is one of the founders of the National Rivers Hall of Fame.

Second floor room with fireplace.


Thomas and Susanna Ashburn

From $145.00 / night

Susanna's Guest House, Thomas Ashburn RoomThomas Ashburn lived in Liverpool, England until 1805. After his wife died, he left England and came to Cincinnati with his five sons and his elderly mother. He met Susanna in Cincinnati, and they had one child together. While he lived in Cincinnati, he ran a stone and gravel business, which he sold in 1814. Shortly after in 1815, he bought 885 acres adjoining New Richmond, which he used the land to help create the residential village that he named “Susanna”. In 1821, he gave land to the Presbyterian Church. In January of 1828, Susanna and New Richmond became one village.

Second floor room with jacuzzi tub.