Table Of Contents
The Welch House was built in 1850 in Clinton, New York, using the Italianate style of architecture. It was formerly owned by George Bristol of the Bristol-Myers Pharmaceutical Company. It was purchased by the Welch Family in 1955 and has remained the family Homestead.
The home has a large front porch and enclosed back patio overlooking a beautiful backyard. There are many unique antiques and six working fireplaces giving a warm and comfortable atmosphere. Guests are welcome in the kitchen, living room and dining room. Unique features include complimentary wireless internet access, local and domestic long distance phone calls, washer and dryer use.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Judy Welch for sharing her own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Most people visit my inn to visit Hamilton College and Colgate University or Family visits to Clinton.It is also a stopping point for people heading to Maine or the East Coast for a pleasant overnight stay en route to their destination. Locum Physicians working in Utica for extended stays.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
Best known for conveniently located 1/2 from Hamilton College. Walk to Village Green restaurants & shopping. Relax on the front porch. Peaceful and quiet. Great breakfasts with local food. Amenities galore!
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
Visit Hamilton College or the quaint & historic village with restaurants and shopping.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
“Warm & welcoming ! Very clean. Cozy & comfortable . Welcoming. Everything you could ask for in amenities. Keurig in your room. Enjoy relaxing on the front porch.”
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
Best kept secret is the friendliness of the village.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
Day excursion to Cooperstown & Sylvan Beach & Old Forge & Itica Club Brewery tours.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
A library & restaurants & shopping& Cider Mill & Hamilton College & concerts in the park & parades& farmers market on Thursdays.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
A variety of good food restaurants from Italian specialties to gourmet eclectic.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference?
A visitors guide is available on arrival. Also a local map of Clinton.
How many rooms does your inn have?
Do you accept pets?
I don't accept pets. I don't have pets. There are alternative places to board pets.
The Welch House was built in 1843, using the Italianate style of architecture. It was family-owned by George Bristol of the Bristol-Myers Pharmaceutical family. It was purchased by Bernard and Esther Welch in 1950 and has remained in the family ever since. The names of the rooms reflect the Welch family's Irish Heritage! Hospitality is of the utmost importance to the Irish, yet keeping your ability for privacy!
- All rooms with private bath en-suite
- 2 Rooms will accommodate a 3rd person
- Comfortable memory foam beds
- Air conditioners and ceiling fans
- Electric fireplaces
- House computer and WiFi
- Public Bus Stop Across the Street from Inn
- TV & DVD Player & Refrigerator
- Bath Amenities & Hair Dryer
- Clothing Steamers
- Convenient Check In
- Full closet, desk, and clock radio
- Short walk to College and Shopping
- Uber is available
- Pet Free
- Full breakfast
- Keurig coffee system in each room
- Kitchen access for refrigerator water dispenser and ice and microwave
- Maps of Village and Hamilton College
- Wine glasses & opener, cheese board
- FREE off-street parking
- Farm Fresh Eggs, Bacon and Local Items
From the New York State Thurway (Interstate 90)
- Take Thurway Exit 32 Westmoreland
- Turn right after the toll booth
- Turn left onto State Route 233 south
- Drive 5.2 miles, passing through two traffic lights, until reaching the flashing red light
- At the intersection turn left (College St.) and drive 0.5 miles and the Welch House is on the right #67
From the South
- Take State Route 12B into the Village of Clinton
- At the street light turn left onto College Street, the Welch House is on the left