Table Of Contents
Welcome to Smithville Historical Museum and Inn located in the heart of Smithville, Missouri, just 20 miles from downtown Kansas City and 10 miles from Kansas City International Airport.
This historical Victorian home built in the early 1880's by William Patterson and known for many years as the Patterson House has been restored to its original beauty. Recognized as a registered historic site, the home now houses the Smithville Historical Museum and Inn along with a gift shop.
The inn features two bedrooms Elizabeth's Room and Cathleen's Room with elegant decor and private baths. Robert's Parlor Room provides for good reading, an exciting game of chess or simply great relaxation. Guests enjoy a continental breakfast, tea time and a tour of the museum. You may take a stroll to Smithville's Downtown Heritage District and visit the wonderful shops, antiques stores and restaurants including the nationally renowned Justus Drugstore, a Restaurant. Guests may also take a drive to Smithville Lake just minutes away to enjoy the beauty and serenity of the lake and picnic areas or to golf, sail, fish or waterski.
Smithville Historical Museum and Inn was recently chosen
as the "Best Bed and Breakfast" in the Kansas City Northland and
featured in the Sun News as the "2009 Best of the Northland Gold Winner".
We are very happy and honored to have been chosen among Northland's Best!
We want your stay at the Smithville Historical Museum and Inn to be relaxing and comfortable for you. We offer these accommodations:
- clean, comfortable rooms with private bathrooms and showers included
- kitchen that can be used by all guests
- access to washer and dryer
- backyard deck with patio seating for reading and lounging
- parlor room with a game table , television, and movies
- convenient parking
- complimentary continental breakfast
- coffee,hot chocolate, and tea time
Our inn is the perfect place for a vacation, an escape for the weekend, wedding receptions and family reunions. Please call us at (816) 678-7368 or (800) 266-7730 .
The Smithville Historical Museum and Inn is the perfect place to relax or be active.
Some of the possible activities and attractions in our area include:
Golfing at Paradise Pointe
Hunting and trap shooting
Fishing on Smithville Lake
Sailing at sailboat cove
Swimming at the beaches
Biking & Hiking on the trails around the Lake
Shopping at all the antique stores
The Patterson House was built in the 1880's in Smithville, Missouri by prominent citizen and proprietor of the "Eagle Flouring, Grist and Saw Mills", William H. Patterson. Smithville has always had the distinction of being known as a milling town. The first settlement was built around a water and grist mill erected by Humphrey "Yankee" Smith in the 1820's. The original village was known as Smith's Mill. William Henry Patterson was born on Barnhart Island in St. Lawrence County, New York on April 4, 1836, the son of a Canadian soldier W. H. "Paterson" and his wife Minerva Barnhart Patterson. He left his home in New York at an early age and became a millwright in Weston, Missouri. During the Civil War, Mr. Patterson enlisted in the Missouri State Militia under Captain Wash Woods and then served in the Confederate Army under General Sterling Price. It was during this time that "Billy" Patterson as he was known, met William Clarke Quantrill, the notorious freelance guerilla fighter and became close friends. with Frank and Jesse James. Following the war, Patterson purchased the mill in Smithville and greatly expanded it over the years. In addition to his growing business, he took pride in the home that he built of solid brick . The brick was fired in his own kiln. Native walnut and cherry trees were cut and used for the interior woodwork. White pine logs were floated on rafts down the river to Mr. Patterson's saw mill and used for all the floors and for the exterior trim. The ornate wrought iron was shipped from New Orleans. The result was a beautiful Victorian home which after many years has been recognized as a registered historic site.
Mr. Patterson had many business duties and obligations, but still found time to give attention to public matters. He was a member of the Board of Education and possessed a marked degree of interest in public welfare. Through the years, "Billy" Patterson also kept close ties with his Confederate friends, especially Frank and Jesse James. Frank James often stayed at the Patterson home even as late as 1913. William Patterson left his mark in Smithville, Missouri not only in the beautiful home that he built many years ago, but also in his business and public contributions to the community.