Castle in the Country Bed & Breakfast Inn
Table Of Contents
Your perfect escape from the ordinary awaits you at our lovely Saugatuck area bed and breakfast, The Castle in the Country Bed and Breakfast Inn in Allegan, Michigan. Featuring 2 Extraordinary buildings, the Victorian Castle and the Contemporary Castle Keep you'll be enveloped in peaceful surroundings & embraced in an ambiance encouraging total relaxation. Walk hand in hand at one of the best romantic getaways in Michigan as you explore our wooded forest trails, relax in the screen house at our private lake, or close the door to your own romantic suite with a whirlpool tub for two, a fireplace and gourmet breakfast. Schedule a side-by-side massage at the secluded Royal Retreat Spa Area at our lovely Michigan couples spa. Gaze up into the star-studded sky and celebrate you!
Admitted into the prestigious innkeeping organization, Select Registry, as one of only 4 properties in Michigan meeting the highest standards for hospitality & quality, when you choose our Allegan Michigan B&B, you choose a getaway with extraordinary decor, amenities, and service!
We offer ten individually decorated Guestrooms/Suites within the timeless beauty of our century-old Victorian Castle or in our contemporary country manor house, the Castle Keep. Whether you're looking for a romantic getaway for two to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or honeymoon in Michigan, an amazing Elopement for the two of you or an all-inclusive Weekend Lodging and Event Package for a Destination Wedding & Reception, our Innkeepers will guide you through the process of designing your visit to exceed every expectation during your stay at our Allegan bed and breakfast.
When you're researching the perfect location for a special group of family or friends or a relaxed setting for a corporate meeting in the Grand Rapids area, we have the perfect accommodations to meet your every need. From the moment you arrive, our goal is to make you feel at home amidst beautiful surroundings where you can relax and refresh your spirit.
A full gourmet breakfast is provided in the Castle Keep dining rooms overlooking the ever-changing scenery of the pond each morning. Every item is made from scratch with the freshest ingredients and includes homemade scones, muffins or croissants and artfully presented breakfast entrees. All of the food is prepared daily by Innkeeper/Chef, Herb Boven. In addition to our gourmet breakfasts, we also have Dinner at the Inn Packages available as well as Picnic Basket Lunches that guests may enjoy on the property. Using only the best local ingredients and fresh herbs, we promise to deliver a memorable food experience during your stay at our Southwest Michigan B&B.
Open exclusively to our lodging guests to enhance their experience here at Castle in the Country, our Royal Retreat Spa features several services for relaxing and de-stressing. This private area has soft lighting, relaxing music and candles. After choosing one of our luxuriously appointed guest rooms/suites, add a rejuvenating side by side couple's massage, hot stone massage, or choose from a variety of additional spa services. Our certified Massage Therapists (female) will provide professional and seamless treatment that will put you in the perfect frame of mind to enjoy your well-deserved vacation time at one of the most lovely spa resorts in Michigan.
Walk, snowshoe or cross country ski through the 65 wooded acres of our Saugatuck, MI bed and breakfast where you're likely to catch a glimpse of white tail deer, swans, eagles, or other wildlife. Groomed walking trails are perfect for enjoying the wonders of nature all year round. Linger in the screened gazebo overlooking the pond, try your hand at ice fishing on a secluded private lake, or sit out under the stars and enjoy the old-fashioned pleasure of an outdoor bonfire. You won't find this at any other South Haven area bed and breakfast!
When choosing your romantic Michigan getaway, our close proximity to Saugatuck, Holland & South Haven will provide easy access to all the activities you want to enjoy along the Lake Michigan Shore. When it's time to enjoy just the two of you, or a group of family & friends vacationing together, the on-site events at our beautiful Saugatuck bed and breakfast create the perfect mix of fun & adventure.
Book your Michigan vacation package today, and prepare to Relax, Refresh, and Renew! We've anticipated your every travel need when it comes to the packages we offer. So, after choosing the perfect guestroom or suite, just snap your finger (or click your mouse) and let us take care of every detail for your stay at our Saugatuck Michigan bed and breakfast. Come and see what awaits you at our bed and breakfast in Michigan, the most romantic hideaway in North America!
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Herb and Ruth Boven for sharing their own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
We offer a secluded intimate setting perfect for romantic getaways. Couples love to stay with us to celebrate Anniversaries, Honeymoons, Babymoons, Birthdays, or simply just because they're in love.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
We are set in the countryside on 65 acres of wooded estate, complete with hiking trails and a private lake where we offer kayaks and paddle boats for our guests to use in the summer and snowshoes in the winter. We serve a full gourmet breakfast each morning to our guests at their own individual table for two and our rooms offer both a fireplace and whirlpool tub. Many couples add one of our bundled packages onto their stay; these include couple's side-by-side massages, picnic baskets, and dinner among other things to ensure a stay as relaxing and rejuvenating as possible.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
Escape the hustle and bustle of the city and spend a couple of days in the country. Our bed and breakfast offers a peaceful setting for couples to relax and spend some quality time together in beautiful surroundings. We have several miles of wooded trails as well as kayaks and a paddle boat on a private lake and we are also a short drive to Lake Michigan and surrounding boutique towns.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
When couples tell us that Castle in the Country provided the perfect atmosphere to rekindle their love for one another.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
The middle of nowhere is a great place to have the perfect time away and experience romantic bliss.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
Our area is known for an abundance of antique shops, wineries, craft breweries, farm markets and farm stands, and many quaint towns full of boutique shops, restaurants, art galleries, and theaters. Color tours in the fall to see the beauty of all the changing leaves on the trees, a day at the beach on Lake Michigan in the summer, and plenty of skiing and snowshoeing in the winter.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
We have 65 acres of woods on our property with hiking trails and many seating areas both screened and open air. Our private lake in the woods has a paddle boat and kayaks for our guests to use in the summer time, and we have snowshoes available for the winter. We also have an On-site spa where couples can enjoy exclusive services during their visit.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
We love Salt of the Earth, located just 20 minutes from the B&B in Fennville, MI – it is a great farm to table restaurant where all the ingredients are local, fresh, and organic and all of the meals are prepared from scratch upon order. It is casual dining with exceptional meals, honest food, and friendly folk. The Grill House is a five minute drive from the Inn and is a good second option and includes a Grill Your Own Steak menu as well as a popular pub menu. They have a wonderful outdoor seating area in the summer and fall and feature live music on weekends.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference?
Our plan your stay page as well as our "Within the Kingdom" blog are both great places to check out for events and activities on property and in the surrounding area.
How many rooms does your inn have?
We have 10 rooms all with private baths, fireplaces and full gourmet breakfast daily– 8 whirlpool/fireplace suites, and 2 classic rooms.
Do you accept pets?
With the exception of service animals, we do not allow pets at our Inn.
We Provide Delicacies Fit for a King & Queen! Serving fresh, local ingredients to elevate your dining experience!
Here at our Southwest bed and breakfast in Michigan, we’ve elevated breakfast to celebration status. Served in our dining room overlooking the natural pond outside our Castle Keep building, your own individual table for two will be ready for you. During our Check in process we’ll review our breakfast offerings with you and select your seating time of 9:00, 9:30 or 10:00am. We always incorporate fresh, local ingredients from nearby farms and food purveyors. The daily breakfast offering is set in advance to give you the opportunity to communicate any special dietary needs. We can accommodate most requests within this time frame. Check out the daily offering currently available at our Michigan Inn and Spa in the “Daily Castle Report.”
For an extra special experience, consider adding one of our added value packages which include the upgraded service of breakfast brought to your guestroom for one of the mornings of your visit.
Royal Retreat Spa
When you choose Castle in the Country and select the perfect guest room or suite to enjoy your getaway, you’ll want to add a spa package to enjoy at the pond level Royal Retreat Spa Area of the Castle Keep. This private area of our Michigan Inn and Spa has soft lighting, relaxing music and candles. Our certified massage therapists or licensed cosmetologists will provide professional and seamless treatments to put you in the perfect frame of mind and body to fully experience your well deserved vacation time. Please allow at least 48 hour advance notice when adding your spa packages to your choice of luxury lodging. Come out to the Castle in the Country Bed and Breakfast for an extraordinary Michigan spa vacation getaway, miles away from the ordinary.
In the spirit of total relaxation, we’ve made it easy for you to make a reservation online or via phone and include our great spa services in one of two ways:
When you choose to add any of these bundled packages, the staff at our romantic Michigan Bed and Breakfast goes to work for you scheduling the dining and spa service components included in each of them. When you arrive at the Inn we’ll provide a complete Package Itinerary and all you need to do is Relax and experience total pampering at our Michigan spa retreat.See our blog to read more about what your spa day will be like!
The Castle Provides a True Fairy Tale Wedding
It's the perfect place to start your happily ever after
Let the story of your "Happily Ever After" Michigan wedding unfold at Castle in the Country. Fairy tales do come true, and we would love to help you plan every detail of your Michigan Inn wedding in this chapter of your own love story. When you choose our enchanting, country bed and breakfast in Michigan for your romantic getaway, we provide all the details necessary for hosting either your choice of an intimate afternoon wedding elopement package for just the bride and groom, a private midweek evening event for up to 25 guests with all the ceremony details plus an elegant reception, or a wonderful destination weekend wedding and reception for 20 or up to 80 guests.
Package Price $1,400
(added to the Bride & Groom’s choice of Room or Suite)
This package is just for the Bride & Groom and is our most intimate package containing everything you need to experience the most romantic event in your life. Offered exclusively for guests who are lodging at our Michigan Inn and Spa, this afternoon event is orchestrated to ensure that you need only book a Whirlpool/Fireplace Suite for a two or more night stay, then arrive with your clothes, your rings and your marriage license, and we’ll take care of every other detail for you.
Just our Closest Few Wedding/Reception
- Package Price $3,500 for up to 15 guests
- Package Price $4,500 for up to 25 guests
- (added to the Bride and Groom’s choice of Room/Suite)
This magical Weekday (Monday-Thursday) package includes both a memorable ceremony, either outdoor on our gazebo deck or indoor in our intimate chapel space, and a simply elegant dinner reception for 15-25 guests (including the Bride & Groom). Bring your marriage license, your ring and your attire and the rest is just a beautiful Saugatuck area wedding event ready to happen.
Destination Weekend Wedding Packages
- Package Price for up to 2o Guests $ 6,000
- Package Price for up to 80 Guests $12,000
- (added to the Lodging costs for all 10 guest rooms/suite)
Come away with your love and your entire wedding party for a weekend to remember. Choose an entirely stress-free Michigan weekend getaway & allow yourselves to enjoy every wonderful minute of the most beautiful event of your life together. The destination weekend wedding/reception package provides picture perfect use of our 65 acre estate. Reside for the weekend as King & Queen of the Castle along with 18 of your closest friends or family, or, if choosing the “up to 80 package”, welcome your additional guests to your grand Southwest Michigan Wedding & Reception
Things To Do… or Do Nothing At All!
Explore Southwest Michigan or stay and relax on our 65 acres
Your search for the perfect Michigan vacation has come to an end. We’ll help you plan every detail to make your getaway the perfect escape at our beautiful 65-acre country estate!
Our Southwest Michigan Bed and Breakfast is just 6 miles away from the historic town of Allegan, MI and just 30-40 minutes away from Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Saugatuck/Douglas, South Haven, or Holland. Every adventure will lead you through the most scenic countryside as a guest at our Michigan Inn and Spa, but we’ll make sure you don’t follow other tourists around…we’ll pass on our best tips for discovering only the Best of the Best restaurants, wineries, breweries and any other attraction you’d like to enjoy.
When you arrive at our Allegan Bed and Breakfast we’ll provide extensive Concierge service to help familiarize you with the many restaurants, wineries and other attractions in our surrounding area. We prefer to customize our recommendation to each couple when you arrive for check in at the Inn, but if you’d like to do a bit or research yourself before you arrive, here are some of our recommendations for Restaurants on our Adventure Map: (Menus available at Check in w/ our Innkeepers)
For more information and links to any of the attractions and activities below, please visit our web site at http://www.castleinthecountry.com/plan-stay-in-allegan-michigan.html.
- Salt of the Earth; located about 20 minutes away in Fennville, MI
- Food Dance; located about 30 minutes away in Kalamazoo, MI
- Butch’s Dry Dock: Located about 30 minutes away in Holland, MI
For more information on our three favorite restaurants, see our blog post, The Best of the Best, and learn how you could experience one of these restaurants on us!
Brew Pubs: Visit our three fantastic breweries all within a 30 mile radius of our Castle in the Country Bed & Breakfast Inn, you can fill your day with good food, cold hand-crafted brews, and great memories.
Visit our “Within the Kingdom” Blog for our suggestions for activities right on-site at our 65 acre country estate or, within easy driving distance for day trips. Focusing on the surrounding 30 mile radius of our Inn and within the popular towns of Saugatuck-Douglas; Holland; South Haven; and Kalamazoo, our blog is written to answer your questions of “What’s there to Do?” should you choose Castle in the Country as your destination.
At The Inn
- Spend your time hiking through the trails in our very own enchanted forest of 65 wooded acres
- Kayak through the beautiful waters of our own private lake
- Take a jaunt on the paddle boat at our Allegan MI B&B
- Relax in our screened porch and watch the wildlife
- Schedule a side by side couple’s massage in our on-site spa
- Watch cable Flat Screen TV or a newly released DVD in your luxurious suite with whirlpool tub for two and fireplace
- For those of you who need to be “fully connected” while you re-connect with each other, we offer FREE Wi-Fi from all common areas and rooms/suites at our Bed and Breakfast in Southwest Michigan.
- Click here for more information about how to spend your day on our property.
- Downhill Skiing at Bittersweet and Timber Ridge
- Wine tasting Southwest Michigan Wine Trail or St. Julian , and Warner Winery. Or visit Fenn Valley Winery and receive two free wine glasses when you present our coupon
- Allegan State Game Area, over 50,000 acres of untouched forested wilderness and cross-country skiing, hiking, or snowshoeing trails. The State Game area maps are available here, but be sure to ask your innkeepers about recommendations and hunting season restrictions. (If you are thinking ahead for springtime, a previous guest, an avid birder, filed this trip report including springtime pictures.)
- Kal-Haven Trail, a 33 mile rails-to-trails pathway connecting the cities of Kalamazoo and South Haven and is ideal for biking. It also is used for both cross-country and snowmobile trails.
- Horseback Riding at Wild West Ranch
- Horse Drawn Wagon Rides are scheduled in the Fall; ask the Innkeeper about off-site locations for Carriage rides year-round and stay tuned for information about Winter Sleigh Rides.
- For Shopping enthusiasts, there are boutique and home accessory shopping opportunities all around, including the April-September antique market held on the last Sunday of each month at the nearby Allegan County Fairgrounds.
- Art abounds along the Lake Michigan coast, the “Third Coast.” Spend a day touring the beautiful countryside, visiting galleries along the way by taking the Blue Coast Artist Tour or ask your Innkeeper for other suggestions and referrals.
- Golf at one of the many exceptional courses such as the Lynx, Cheshire Hills, Clearbrook, Ravines, and more. We can assist with tee times as well.
How To Find Us
When your Allegan MI travels bring you to this beautiful, rural location in Southwest Michigan, we recommend that you follow our map for driving to our Saugatuck area Bed and Breakfast in Allegan county. GPS systems and other internet mapping programs may provide routes likely to add unnecessary driving time from your location. Please feel free to contact us about specific driving instructions from your point of departure to our bed and breakfast in Michigan. Here’s our location in Google:
Castle in the Country near Allegan, MI
340 M-40 South, Allegan, MI 49010
Enter our business name, "Castle in the Country" into your GPS devise. Google Maps will get you to us if you enter our name plus the phrase, "near Allegan, MI." If you enter our address into a GPS or internet mapping, please be aware of the following: We are located on M-40 between 102nd Ave and 104th Ave. Please look for our sign on the west side of M-40 six miles south of the town of Allegan and five miles north of the town of Gobles, between 102nd and 104th Avenues.
- Take I-94 East to M-40 exit 60 (Paw Paw, MI)
- Proceed north (left) on M-40 approximately 16 miles
- Castle in the Country is located on M-40, 3/4 mile past 102nd Ave. on the west (left) side
- (Approx. driving time from downtown Chicago is two to two and a half hours; from the Michigan/Indiana border at I-94 we are about one hour and 15 minutes driving time.)
From Detroit/Ann Arbor Area
- Take I-94 West to M-40 exit 60 (Paw Paw, MI) Proceed north (right) on M-40 approximately 16 miles
- Castle in the Country is located on M-40, 3/4 mile past 102nd Ave. on the west (left) side
- (Approx. driving time from Ann Arbor is two hours; from Detroit area we are about two and a half to three hours driving time.)
From Muskegon/Holland Area
- Take US 31 south to M-40 South (to Hamilton/Allegan)
- Proceed south on M-40/M-89 approximately 20 miles until Cedar St. stoplight
- Turn right and proceed to next stop light, M-40 South (right) to Paw Paw
- Proceed for approximately 6 miles
- Castle in the Country is located on M-40, 1/4 mile past 104th Ave. on the west (right) side
- (Approximate driving time is one hour and 15 minutes from Muskegon; from Holland we are about 30 minutes driving time.)
- Take M-43 west to M-40. Turn right (north) on M-40 and proceed for about 10 miles
- Castle in the Country is located on the west side of M-40, 3/4 mile north of 102nd Ave. & south of 102nd St.
- (Approx. driving time from Kalamazoo is about 30 minutes driving time)
From Saugatuck/Fennville Area
- Take Blue Star Hwy (A-2) south (towards South Haven) to M-89 east (left)
- Proceed through the town of Fennville to M-40/M-89 South (right)
- Proceed on M-40/M-89 to Allegan to Cedar St. stoplight
- Turn right and proceed to next stop light, M-40 South (right) to Paw Paw
- Proceed for approximately 6 miles. Castle in the Country is located on M-40, 1/4 mile past 104th Ave. on the west (right) side
- (Approx. driving time is 30-40 minutes from Saugatuck; from Fennville we are about 20-25 minutes driving time.)
From Grand Rapids
- Take US-131 south to the Allegan-Martin exit 55 (M-222), Proceed west approximately 10 miles to Allegan to Cedar St. stoplight
- Turn left on Cedar and proceed to 2nd stoplight, M-40 South to Paw Paw
- Proceed on M-40 South for approximately 6 miles
- Castle in the Country is located on M-40, 1/4 mile south of 104th Ave. on the west (right) side. (Approx. driving time is 40-55 minutes from Grand Rapids)
The Castle Keep
The beautiful and contemporary Castle Keep is surrounded by a three tier deck with covered seating and a cozy fireplace area, and overlooks a lovely view of farmland and our own natural pond.
Our century old Queen Anne Victorian, built in 1906, features spacious common areas, intricately patterned hardwood floors and beautiful original quarter sawn oak woodwork.
Castle in the Country Bed and Breakfast is the Perfect Four Season Getaway!