Angel of the Berwicks Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
Enter a world of genteel elegance, Victorian romance and gracious hospitality at the Angel of Berwicks in North Berwick, Maine. Experience the grandeur of this 5 room mansion while you enjoy all the Southern Maine Seacoast Region has to offer!
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Sally and Ben Gumm for sharing their secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
An excellent value for luxurious Victorian accommodations.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
Rated "Best of New England" by Yankee Magazine for architectural buffs. Guests rave about the bountiful full gourmet breakfasts. Personally, we enjoy meeting a diverse group of wonderful new people each day.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
Scenic beaches. Quaint New England harbors. Lobster.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
"We have staying in Bed & Breakfasts all over the world, but this is absolutely the best."
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
Parson's Beach, a relatively unknown scenic beach with free parking.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
Hiking, boating, beach, site seeing, shopping, museums, scenic drives, biking. Plus, save time for rest, relaxation and rekindling.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
Shopping, dining and hiking.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Clay Hill Farm.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference? How many rooms does your inn have?
Do you accept pets?
No pets. Our guests with pets board their animals nearby at Country Time Kennels.
Explore the Inn
Guests at Angel of the Berwicks will discover magnificent common rooms to call their own.
- Spacious guest rooms and suites with private baths
- Full gourmet breakfasts artfully served each morning
- Victorian architecture, steeped in history
- Conveniently located just 10 minutes from I-95 and 15 minutes from beaches
- Fabulous shopping in nearby Kennebunkport, Ogunquit, Kittery, Wells and Portsmouth
- Special lodging packages and gift certificates available
- Ideal setting for private parties of up to 75 people
- Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
The Music Room
- Features a baby grand piano
- Seven-foot high windows
- A spectacular hand carved double pillared fireplace
- Original hand-painted fresco
- Blends four stained glass windows with stately pillars
- Fossilized marble fireplace
- Window seat as a perfect place to get lost in your favorite book
- Eastlake Victorian chandelier
- Jewel-toned color palette will make anyone feel like they are royalty
The Day Room
- Provides an ideal setting for watching TV, playing cards or chatting with other guests
- Massive carved and gilded mirror perched above a carrera marble fireplace that reflects abundant sunlight making this a most enjoyable space
All breakfasts are prepared by owner Sally McLaren, whose claim to fame is having once spoken to Martha Stewart over the phone about how to clarify butter! (Ask her about it).
- Include home-made muffins
- Fresh fruit
- Chilled juice
- Hot entree (brings rave reviews from guests from around the world)
- In season, the breakfasts are always garnished with edible flowers and herbs from the Angel's kitchen garden
- Dietary restrictions are accommodated with 24-hour notice
After a full day of experiencing the pleasures of Maine, there is nothing more delightful than relaxing with a steaming cup of tea at Angel of the Berwicks. Sally's hearty hors deourves are pleasing to every palate. You are also welcome to enjoy your own alcoholic beverage. There is always a place at The Angel to be alone with your special someone, or you may mingle with other guests. The innkeepers are always eager to provide restaurant suggestions, site seeing tips or insights into local lore.
Exceeding Your Expectations
Your hosts at Angel of the Berwicks can customize a gift certificate for anyone of our packages or for any denomination. You can even build your own package customized for the recipient.
Spread out in one of our two-room suites or over-sized guest rooms. High ceilings add to your feeling of being surrounded by Victorian elegance. Each room has been totally refurbished and opened in 2009. All rooms feature queen sized beds and private baths with tiled showers. You may also choose a room with a soothing circulating air tub that incorporates relaxing chromo therapy.
How To Find Us
Just 10 minutes from Exit 19 off I-95
- Take Exit 19 off I-95. Turn right at the end of the ramp onto Route 109/9
- Routes 109/9 run together for about one-half mile
- Watch for the sign pointing out a left turn for Route 9
- Stay on Route 9 for about six miles to the intersection of Route 4
- You'll see Angel of the Berwicks in front of you
- Drive through the granite pillars to the front entrance and let your vacation begin