Gateway Bed and Breakfast
Table Of Contents
"Victorian Charm that promises you a memorable stay!"
A warm welcome awaits you at the Gateway Bed & Breakfast in historic Newport. This beautifully restored 1878 Italianate Townhouse was built by Henry Schriver and restored by the present owners, Ken and Sandy Clift.
Gateway Bed & Breakfast is located next door to the Water Tower Square in the East Row Historic District, approximately five minutes to downtown Cincinnati, Ohio and 4 blocks to Newport on the Levee.
The house has been restored and is exquisitely decorated with antiques. When visiting, you may hear the player piano or the victrola spinning the old records as you stroll through this home filled with Victorian charm.
When Ken and Sandy Clift purchased this circa 1878 house in 1989 it had been through fire, tornado, conversion to a multi-family rental, and years of neglect. Go to our History section for more information about the history and restoration of this beautiful home.
Your comfort is assured in one of our spacious rooms whether your visit is for business to the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area, a vacation, get-away weekend or a honeymoon retreat.
Every morning, be awakened by the aroma of fresh coffee and homemade breads. A full country breakfast is served in the formal dining room.
History of the Inn
While restoring the house, the Clifts' philosophy was to retain as much of the original as possible, adapting their present needs to the existing structure. There were no changes made to the building, with the exception of updating the bathrooms, kitchen and laundry facilities. As walls and dropped ceilings were removed many original details were found, such as plaster moldings and ceiling medallions. Wallpaper over 100 years old was discovered in places that were covered up many years ago.
The restoration involved removing 70 years of insensitive remodeling and reviving the original character of the house. This included reopening the transoms, milling trim to exactly match the original, installing reproduction gas/electric lighting, restoring two large parlor doors which were found in the garage, sanding and finishing 3200 square feet of pine flooring, opening up and cleaning six fireplaces and replacing five missing mantels with antique mantels of the period.
All 27 windows were reglazed, repaired, restrung, and repainted, but the biggest challenge was the restoration of the stairway and halls. The staircase was restored by a local craftsman based on an old baluster and part of the old railing which were found in the attic.
The Gateway Bed & Breakfast is an example to the community of sensitive rehabilitation and adaptive re-use as well as a successful business. Ken has served on the Newport Historic Property Advisory Commission for the State of Kentucky. Newport, one of the largest historic district in the state of Kentucky is a wonderful and convenient place to live.
- Newport on the Levee, www.newportonthelevee.com
- Newport Aquarium, www.newportaquarium.com
- BB Riverboats cruises, www.bbriverboats.com
- Newport Gangster Tour
- Purple People Bridge, www.purplepeoplebridge.com
- Ride the Ducks , newport.ridetheducks.com
- Main Strasse Village, www.mainstrasse.org
- Turfway horse racing, www.turfway.com
- Northern Kentucky Convention Center, www.nkycvb.com
- York Street Café, www.yorkstonline.com
- Pompilios, www.pompilios.com
- Dixie Chili, www.dixiechili.com
- Newport Pizzawww.newportpizzacompany.com
- Mokka’s Grill, www.mokkasunset.com
- Chart House, www.chart-house.com
- Mitchell’s Fish, www.mitchellsfishmarket.com
- JerZees Pub & Restaurant, jerzeespub.com
- Cincinnati Zoo, www.cincyzoo.org
- Cincinnati Reds Baseball
- Cincinnati Bengals Football, www.bengals.com
- Cincinnati Art, www.cincinnatiartmuseum.org
- Cincinnati Museum Center, www.cincymuseum.org
- Cincinnati Convention Center, www.duke-energycenter.com
- King's Island, www.pki.com
- Regional Tourism, www.cincinnatiusa.com
- Riverbend Music Ctr, www.riverbend.org
- River Downs horse racing, www.riverdowns.com
- Taft Museum, www.taftmuseum.org
- The Banks, www.thebankscincy.com
Antique Shops (Northern KY/Cincinnati)
- Florence Antique, www.florenceantiquemall.com
- Duck Creek, www.duckcreekantiquemall.com
- Grand Antique, www.grandantiquemall.com
Outdoor Garden Area