Willis Graves' Three Cheese TartFrom BURLINGTON'S WILLIS GRAVES BED & BREAKFAST INN
Also known as breakfast pie, as our southern innkeeper friend Marsha calls it, this dish is better known as a quiche or tart.
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced fresh tomatoes
1 (9-inch) homemade or high-quality, store-bought pie crust
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8-ounces grated Gruyï¿½re cheese
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup white wine
Ground cayenne red pepper for a little kick
Extra grated Parmesan to sprinkle on top of tart
Freshly cracked black pepper
Bake empty pie crust at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for approximately 10 minutes before adding other ingredients.
- Once the pie crust is cool, place mushrooms and tomatoes in the bottom of the pie crust and season with salt and pepper.
- Add all of the cheeses on top of the mushrooms and tomatoes.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, heavy cream, white wine, and cayenne pepper to taste. Be careful with the cayenne pepper.
- Slowly pour egg mixture over pie and sprinkle extra Parmesan cheese and freshly cracked pepper on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.