Triple Chocolate Layered BrowniesFrom STAR OF TEXAS BED & BREAKFAST
Cooking Time:20 to 25 minutes
- 1 box German chocolate cake mix
- 1 box dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup each coarsely chopped pecans and hazelnuts
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk (separated into 2- 1/3 cups)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup melted butter (separated into 2- 1/2 cups)
- 60 caramels (my bag only had 54 and it turned out just fine, in case you were wondering)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar for dusting
Combine German chocolate cake, 1/3 c milk, 1/2 c butter, and nuts. It will be thick so just pat it down into a greased pan (I used 9x13). I baked it for about 10 minutes on 350*.
In a double boiler add 1/2 c milk and caramels. Melt. Now.. Just so you know, it took FOREVER for these things to melt. Although, I was using an egg poaching pan and a small pot as a doubler boiler. (If anyone knows where you can buy a small double boiler, we need one bad!) Then pour over brownies in the pan.
Sprinkle chocolate chips over the caramel layer.
Mix the dark chocolate mix with the remaining 1/3 c milk and 1/2 c butter and carefully put it on top of the caramel. Ree suggests patting it out on the counter into the size and shape of the pan then transferring it. I grabbed small amounts and flattened them with my fingers and placed them on top. It worked great too.. It all blended together when it baked.
Bake for 20-25 minutes on 350*
Pull out and let cool completely, then stick in fridge for awhile (I did overnight). Then pull them out of the pan (you don't know about pulling them out, because I forgot to say that I put down parchment paper before greasing- makes it easy for pulling them out of the pan!). Generously (very generously) dust the brownies with powdered sugar. Cut them up. Don't take a bite before pouring that glass of milk!!