1 (8 - ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
12 ( 3/4 inch thick) slices day-old brioche, challah, or other egg bread (about one-pound loaf)
1 cup fresh raspberries
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup half-an-half, light cream, or milk
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Pure maple syrup or maple-flavored syrup
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and almond extract.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over one side of each slice of bread.
- Top half of the slices with raspberries.
- Top with remaining bread slices, cream cheese side down to create "sandwiches."
- Combine beaten eggs, half-and-half, sugar, vanilla and salt in a shallow bowl.
- Dip each sandwich in egg mixture, turning carefully to coat both sides.
- Place sandwiches on a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Bake in 425° F oven 15 minutes or until golden brown, turning once after approximately 8 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh fruit and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with warm maple syrup, if desired.