Apple PieFrom AVENUE HOTEL BED AND BREAKFAST
•1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
• 1 tsp vanilla
• Dash of cloves
• 1/4 cup water
• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 4 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
• 2 Red Delicious or McIntosh apples (use a favorite different apple) this helps to make the pie more flavorful and less tart
• Egg white, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (220 degrees C). Prepare pie crust .Place the bottom crust in glass deep dish pie pan. Brush the bottom of the crust with beaten egg white (this will keep the bottom from getting soggy). Prepare lattice or full top crust depending on your preference. Cover and chill until ready to use. Peel and slice apples.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Flour and butter should cook about 2 minutes. Add water, cinnamon, cloves, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer. Pour apples and vanilla into butter mixture; coating apples well.
3. Fill with the pie crust with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Brush butter liquid from the bottom of the pan, over the crust.
4. Place the pie in the oven on the bottom shelf; bake in the preheated oven for 55 minutes, until apples are soft.