Bread Pudding with Caramelized Jack Daniels SauceFrom BEECHWOOD INN
15 cups French bread, cubed and lightly toasted (We use Annie’s Organic Sour Dough)
- 5 cups milk
- 9 eggs
- 12 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 cup raisins
Jack Daniels Sauce
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
- Lightly grease deep dish casserole pans and.
- Fill with toasted bread cubes and raisins mixed together.
- Heat milk and butter in pan over medium heat.
- Whisk sugar, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Temper the eggs by slowly adding 1 cup of the heated milk mixture to this while whisking. Then while whisking mix this into the hot milk mixture. Pour over the bread and raisins. Put your casserole dish (I use two 9x13 inch casseroles and bake one at a time) with the pudding into a deeper pan that has at least an inch of water and cover with foil.
- Bake at 350°F for one hour. Remove foil cook for an additional 15 minutes till nicely browned. Pour cream sauce over and keep warm in oven until time to serve.
Jack Daniels Cream Sauce: (I make this while the pudding is cooking).
Combine all ingredients into a large sauce pan and heat to boiling. Turn heat down to low and allow to cook down to consistency of your liking. I double the sauce recipe so that I can have some to pour over the pudding and ice cream when I serve it. Serve hot with either ice cream and extra sauce or with heavy cream drizzled over it.