Veggie FrittataFrom ALLAIRE TIMBERS INN
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cooking Time:28 minutes
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 (8-oz.) container sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (6-oz.) bag fresh baby spinach*
- 4 large eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 (8-oz.) block 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Garnishes: black pepper, chopped fresh parsley
Make a reduced-fat vegetarian frittata by replacing some of the whole eggs with egg whites, using reduced-fat cheese and fat-free milk, and stirring fresh vegetables into the egg mixture. It's a great meatless dish for breakfast, brunch, or a light dinner.
1. Saute onion and mushrooms in hot oil in an ovenproof nonstick 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach, and saute 3 minutes or until water evaporates and spinach wilts. Remove from heat, and set aside.
2. Whisk together 4 large eggs, 6 egg whites, Cheddar cheese, and next 5 ingredients.
3. Pour egg mixture into skillet with onion mixture, stirring to combine.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes or just until set. Let stand 3 minutes. Cut into wedges. Garnish, if desired.
*1 (10-oz.) package chopped frozen spinach, thawed and well drained, may be substituted for fresh spinach.