Ozark Black-eyed Peas SaladFrom CLIFF COTTAGE INN - LUXURY B&B SUITES & HISTORIC COTTAGES
Prep Time:20 mins.
Cooking Time:chill overnight
According to Ozark tradition, it brings good luck for the year if you eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Eve. If you eat them any other time of the year, you get double good luck! This version is tasty and very easy to fix ahead.
- 1 large tomato, seeded & chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 scallions (green onions), sliced including both white & green parts
- 6 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16-oz.each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 jar (4 oz.) pimiento, rinsed, drained and diced
- 1 8-oz. bottle Italian dressing (quality brand and not fat-free)
- 6-8 fresh kale leaves; fresh parsley to garnish
Combine all ingredients, cover and chill overnight - good to stir a few times as they chill. Serve on kale leaves and garnish with parsley.