Country House Resort Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
In 1907 Dr. Sebald Fichtner opened "Forest Idyll" and felt it had the potential to become a grand hotel. If he were alive today he would know that his prophecy has come true. The beautiful old building, an historic landmark of Sister Bay, Wisconsin, has become one of Door County's most outstanding places to stay, The Country House Resort. Additions, remodeling and refurbishing have been continuous throughout the years, retaining the charm of a country inn while adding the amenities of an elegant, modern resort.
The Country House is located just south of Sister Bay off Highway 42 at the north end of Highland Road. Nestled on 27 secluded, wooded acres on a rolling bluff with 1,100 feet of Green Bay shoreline, it caters to adults and provides privacy to those who savor it. The Country House's subdued framed cedar exterior, accented with native stone, boasts covered private verandas which give guests a sweeping view of the Green Bay waters and the resort's fountains and gardens. Guests pamper themselves in an over-sized whirlpool, the heated swimming pool, tennis, rowboats, bikes and lawn games. At the shoreline is a swimming dock and a 1/3 mile nature trail into the village.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Cheryl Zaug Casey for sharing her own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Most of our guests are traveling to Door County for a relaxing or romantic getaway.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
Our peaceful and beautiful location and atmosphere. We are located on 27 wooded acres with 1100 feet of private shoreline. Our buildings and grounds overlook the waters of Sister Bay. Our location away from the main highway and our policy of no children under 13 years of age provides a very quiet atmosphere.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
People come to Door County for the scenic beauty, recreation, arts, culture, dining.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
“That it is evident how much pride our family has in it.”
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
The off season. Nov-April. It is true that there is much less to do in terms of shops and restaurants that are open but if you are looking for a quiet getaway it is a beautiful time of year.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
There is so much to see and do! it really depends on the time of year and your personal preferences. Peninsula State Park is beautiful to drive through and offers many recreational options including golf, biking, cross country skiing. There are great restaurants so you would have to narrow it down to four for dinner. :) June thru October one of my things is the Peninsula Players theatre, take a picnic lunch and enjoy the sunset in their Bier Garden.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
You can walk into the village of Sister Bay via the highway or along the shoreline nature trail. The closest shops and restaurants are about 1/2 mile via the highway.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
There are so many great restaurants! Some of my favorites are the Northern Grill in Sister Bay for pizza, Alexander's in Fish Creek for upscale but casual dining or the Sister Bay Bowl for a traditional Wisconsin supper club.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference?
The Door County Visitor Bureau is a great source of info on all things Door County. doorcounty.com
How many rooms does your inn have?
46 rooms and suites ranging from small single rooms to suites with whirlpools and frielplaces with private water view balconies.
Do you accept pets?
Yes, we accommodate well behaved dogs and their owners in designated dog friendly rooms and suites. Please call the resort directly for reservations that will include your dog.
About Our Rooms
The Country House has 46 exceptionally attractive rooms and suites with nine different room types to meet a variety of tastes and budgets.
Amenities for All Rooms
- Coffee service
- Remote controlled cable TV
- DVD/VCR or Blu-ray
- Wireless internet
- Hair dryers
- Feather pillows
- Pillow top mattresses
- Daily maid service
- Most with private balconies overlooking the water
Specialty Rooms Amenities
Included in the accommodations are “specialty rooms” and spacious suites which appeal to honeymooners and couples celebrating anniversaries and special events.
- An in-room two-person whirlpool
- Two-person body spray shower
- King or queen size bed
- Wet bar and microwave
- One bedroom and two bedroom/two bath suites have king beds and a great room with fireplace, two-person whirlpool, wet bar, microwave and music system throughout
The peace, quiet and natural beauty of the Country House makes it ideal for business retreats, club events or reunions. Door County offers many activities for those not participating in meeting or for everyone's evening entertainment.
A guest computer in our lounge/conference room offers high speed internet & Wi-Fi access.
A portion of the resort lobby/lounge area can be closed off to create a conference room capable of accommodating up to 25 people or the Great Room of our Penthouse Suite can hold up to 12. The room includes tables, chairs, TV, DVD/VCR, fireplace, wet bar and space for a projection screen or other equipment. We will be happy to provide coffee and continental breakfast service. For assistance with catering or local excursions please ask to speak with the manager and we will be happy to assist you.
The Country House and our family's favorite canine, Riley, are pleased to welcome discriminating dogs and their owners.
As dog owners and lovers, we know how difficult it is to find accommodations you can share with your dog. Well behaved dogs are now welcome at our resort. We apologize but we cannot accommodate other types of pets.
We have a limited number of dog friendly rooms & suites. If you wish to make reservations that include your dog, please call the resort, do not make your reservation online.
Dog friendly Accommodations
- Additional $20 per dog, per night
- One Queen Water View
- Two Queen Water View
- King Water View
- Specialty Room Water View
- Carriage House
- First Floor Water View Suite
Dog Friendly Amenities
- In room food and water dishes and dog beds
- Dog basket at check-in including dogs towels
- Furniture cover sheets
- Coupons and information from local dog friendly businesses and an all natural welcome treat.
- 1100 feet of private shoreline
- Unfenced green area directly across the road from the main resort entrance
- Nature trails to and along the shoreline
- Picnic tables and benches throughout the property
- Outside dog wash area
Please familiarize yourself with our Resort Dog Policies and Agreement. You will be required to sign this document at check-in. For the safety and comfort of all our guests, both dogs and people, these policies will be strictly enforced.
Rates, Policies, and Inn Information
- 27 wooded acres
- 1,100 ft. shoreline
- Fishing dock
- Nature trails
- Heated pool
- 14' whirlpool
- Fireplace lounge/conference room which can be reserved for entertaining or small meetings of up to 25 people
- Free use of tennis court, bikes, row boats, and lawn games
- Limited outdoor amenities during quiet season
Complimentary European Style Continental Breakfast
- Provided in our lounge during our spring/fall and peak seasons, and in-room during our quiet season
- Range from $77 – $329 depending on style and seasons
- The Country House maintains a quiet and relaxed environment; therefore no children under 13 allowed
- We do welcome well behaved dogs and their owners in designated dog friendly rooms
- Reservations with dogs must be made directly with our property and in advance
- View our web site for more details
- Deposit less $20 service fee will be refunded only upon notice of cancellation received 14 days prior to arrival
- No refund will be made for any cancellation received within 14 days of scheduled arrival
- Deposit applies to last days of reservation
- If reservation is changed after arrival, you will be responsible for original reservation