Walnut Ridge Bed & Breakfast Log Cabins
Table Of Contents
Walnut Ridge offers two private luxury romantic handcrafted log cabins in a country setting in Platteville, WI. Both cabins, the round-log handcrafted Cabin Life and the 1800s log and stone Back Again, are perfect for honeymoons, special occasions, and well deserved getaways. An ideal escape from outside distractions.
Walnut Ridge offers two private luxury romantic handcrafted log cabins. Our Wisconsin Log Cabin Lodging is in a country setting on 5 1/2 wooded acres just north of Platteville WI, and a short distance from Galena Territory, Galena IL, and Dubuque IA.
The round-log pine hand crafted cabin, named "Cabin Life," is a perfect set-up for 2 people, featuring a wood-burning fireplace, whirlpool for 2, queen size cedar log bed, and breakfast delivered to your door each morning.
The historic hand-hewn 1800's log and stone cabin, named "Back Again," is ideal for honeymoons, special occasions, and well deserved getaways. Distinctive features include a 2 person whirlpool with a waterfall spout, gas fireplace, full kitchen, rock sun room, and many inviting areas to relax. The roof top cupola is a beacon, welcoming all Back Again. This log house has 2 bedrooms, able to accomodate up to 4 people traveling together.
Many guests find the log cabins so enjoyable and relaxing, they don't feel the need to venture out. However, there are many attractions, restaurants, and shops at nearby Galena Illinois, Dubuque Iowa, and other charming small towns and sites. Information is provided in the cabins.
There are three log buildings at Walnut Ridge. The two guest houses are well separated to ensure privacy and tranquility. The owners of Walnut Ridge live in the main house. All three buildings were designed, constructed, and restored by the owners, Chuck and Jill Staab, who have an extensive background in the building and restoration business.
Walnut Ridge is a true escape from outside distractions. Relax, unwind and rekindle your relationship, or begin a new romance with a stay at Walnut Ridge.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Jill and Chuck Staab for sharing their own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Our guests enjoy the romantic setting, and to escape the outside distractions of life.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
Walnut Ridge is best known for our skillfully handcrafted log cabins with modern amenities.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
Platteville’s small town charm with its University setting and the region’s history.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
One guest book comment: “You have truly created a small world onto itself where agendas, schedules, etc, are tossed aside which allows for simple pleasures of life."
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
Many very nice and unique wineries.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
So much to do without travelling far. Some “must do’s” are to visit Galena IL, Dubuque IA, and other smaller towns along the Mississippi River. Most definitely check out the area wineries, and Governor Dodge State Park.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
Mother Nature – scenic country roads.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Many good Pizzerias, and the nearby Potosi Brewery and Restaurant.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference?
Galena IL - galena.org
Great things about Wisconsin - www.travelwisconsin.com/article/cabins-cottages/dwellings-and-days-off-in-the-driftless-area
How many rooms does your inn have?
Two log cabins.
Do you accept pets?
Sorry, no pets. Being a rural area with smaller towns, there are no nearby pet motels or boarding places.
Walnut Ridge has been in numerous newspaper and magazine articles, featured in Country Accent magazine, and visited by former Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson. Quoted by writer for Wisconsin Trails magazine, Elizabeth McBride, "Walnut Ridge is one of the most distinctive Bed & Breakfasts in the State ".
Following are some excerpts from 14 years of Walnut Ridge Log Cabin testimonials.
"You have truly created a small world onto itself where agendas, schedules, etc are tossed aside which allows for simple pleasures of life."
"Thank you for having a place for couples to reconnect after the daily stresses of life: truly realize how lucky it is to find one another. We'll be back."
"This place rocks. I want this place for me! Fireplace, hot tub, bed, and the whole countryness of it all!"
"This is an unforgettable place. My husband was completely enthralled in how you designed and built this cabin. (He was taking notes on your work!). We had such a great time - it was fulfilling a dream of mine to have a whirlpool, bed, and fireplace in one room. The privacy and peace was much needed and the sound of rain and trees blowing made it even more romantic. Thank you for such a beautiful clean cabin! We'll be back!"
"This was without a doubt our most romantic getaway. The rustic log cabin was wonderful! We loved the crackling fireplace and music, not to mention the hot tub and bubbles. I couldn't imagine a more romantic place to get engaged to the man of my dreams! We will definitely leave here with great stories and memories! We will definitely be back. Thanks for the warmth and hospitality."
"We have enjoyed many B&B's and the most important aspect is to feel welcomed, warm, and cozy. The second we walked in we had that. This is by far the most beautiful cabin we have stayed in. Jill and Chuck - your work and love of this place is evident in every nook and cranny. Thank you for sharing it with others."
"What an incredible surprise! I had no idea where we were going when Ron picked me up from work with "I'm looking for a beautiful woman to spend the weekend with. Are you interested?" When we arrived here, I was stunned by the cabin's charm and romantic atmosphere. I fell in love with my husband all over again for the millionth time!"
"Waking up from a nap to Dave on his knees with the most gorgeous diamond ring in his hand . . . feeling like the luckiest girl on the face of this earth."
Our Wisconsin Log Cabin Lodging is nestled in the middle of Southwest WI's unique "driftless region," the only area in the midwest that was not touched by ancient glaciers. Surrounded by magnificent vistas of rolling hills and hidden valleys, interspersed with enormous mounds and unusual rock formations.
Our region has much to offer: State parks, the majestic Mississippi and Wisconsin Rivers, the University of Wisconsin Platteville campus and fine arts center, lead mine tours, local wineries, cheese stores, Amish communities, many unique historic towns and villages, and much more.
A world of discovery awaits you at Walnut Ridge, all less than 60 minutes away!
- Car ferry across the Mississippi River at Cassville
- Nelson Dewey State Park
- Governor Dodge State Park
- Wyalusing State Park
- Yellowstone Lake State Park
- Mineral Point Pendarvis Historic Site
- New Glarus Village museum
- Stonefield Village historic site
- Belmont First Capitol Historic Site
- Belmont Mound Park and lookout tower
- Climb the world's largest "M" on the
- Platteville Mound
- Rock climbing and rappelling on Castle Rock
- House on the Rock near Spring Green
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin
- State bicycle trail at Mineral Point and Dodgeville
- Lands' End Headquarters at Dodgeville
- American Player's Theatre at Spring Green
- UW-Platteville campus and Arts Center
- Rountree Art Gallery in Platteville
- Platteville movie theaters
- Spurgeon's Winery near Highland
- New Glarus Brewery
- Minhas Craft Brewery in Monroe
- Potosi Brewery and beer museum in Potosi
- St. John's lead mine in Potosi
- Bevan's lead mine in Platteville
- Shopping and antiquing in Platteville, Lancaster, Shullsburg, Darlington, Mineral Point, New Glarus
- Tailings Country Store and Mary O'Leary's Cabin at Shullsburg
- Rural Route 1 Popcorn at Montfort
- Sinsinawa Mound convention and
- Dominican Religious centers
- Father Samuel Mazzuchelli region
- Bird watching
- Eagle watching
- Many fine places to eat
- Apple River Canyon State Park
- Mississippi Palisades State Park
- Galena historic sites
- Vinegar Hill lead mine
- Galena Cellars Vineyard
- Stagecoach Trail road
- Galena Territories
- Chestnut Mountain ski resort and alpine slide
- Shenandoah riding center
- Galena trolley rides
- Dining establishments from authentic frontier saloons to Irish Pubs to exquisite gourmet dining
- Bird watching
- Eagle watching
- Shopping in Galena and country shops
- Effigy Mounds National Monument
- Dubuque's Bluff Street elevator
- Shopping on Bluff Street, Dubuque
- Betty Jane Candies
- Parkfarm Winery
- Stonecliff Winery
- Mississippi River lock and dam
- River barge traffic
- America's Mississippi River Museum
- Two casinos - Diamond Jo and Mystique
- Paddlewheel boat dinner and site seeing cruises
- City parks
- Mines of Spain nature preserve
- Movie theaters
- Canoeing and fishing
- Industry and Commerce
- River-baron architecture
- Bird watching
- Eagle watching
Golfing in the Area
- Yellowstone Golf Course near Yellowstone Lake State Park
- Cole Acres Golf Course, Cuba City
- Darlington Golf and Country Club, Darlington
- Hickory Grove Golf Course, Fennimore
- Lancaster Municipal Golf Course, Lancaster
- Platteville Golf and Country Club, Platteville
- Ludden Lake Course, Mineral Point
- House on the Rock Resort, Spring Green
- Argue-Ment Golf Course, New Glarus
- Birchwood Golf Course, Kieler
- Bunker Hill Golf Course, Dubuque
- Meadows Golf Course, Dubuque
- Derby Range Golf and Recreation, Dubuque
- Galena Golf Club, Galena
- Galena Territories
- Lacoma Golf Course, East Dubuque
Walnut Ridge log cabins are situated on 5 1/2 wooded acres north of Platteville, WI.
From Platteville Wisc:
- 1 mile north on Hwy 81 West
- Then 5 1/2 miles north (right) on County Road D
- Then 1/4 mile west (left) on County Road A.
Travel time: 10 minutes.
From Lancaster Wisconsin:
- 8 miles east on County Road A.
Travel time: 12 minutes.
From Mineral Point WI:
- 4 miles west on Hwy 151 South
- Then exit left on County Rd A for 16 miles (travel beyond the 2 intersections with County Road D)
Travel time: 25 minutes
Internet maps and GPS devices:
The proper address for Walnut Ridge is:
2238 County Road A
Platteville, WI 53818
GPS coordinates are: N42.83104 and W090.53216
How close are Walnut Ridge Log Cabins to:
- Madison, WI - 60 miles
- Dubuque, IA - 30 miles
- Galena, IL - 35 miles
- Chicago, IL - 180 miles
- Milwaukee, WI - 145 miles
- Minneapolis, MN - 250 miles