Chinaberry Hill Inn
Table Of Contents
An 1889 Grand Victorian Inn
Bay Views ~ Fireplaces ~ Jacuzzis
Private Guest Cottage Available
Chinaberry Hill B&B - A Fun Bed & Breakfast Alternative to the Seattle Hotel Scene
This 1889 Grand Victorian Tacoma bed and breakfast is one of the top rated bed and breakfasts in the Seattle Washington Pacific Northwest area. The Pacific Northwest is known for its hospitality and Chinaberry Hill Bed and Breakfast is certainly no exception. With boutique hotel accommodations and first class bed & breakfast amenities, luxurious beds and wonderful breakfasts, Chinaberry Hill offers the best in Seattle Tacoma bed and breakfast lodging and hospitality.
Chocolates on the pillow ~ Soothing whirlpool waters ~ A good book by the fire
Chinaberry Hill promises casual elegance and simple pleasures.
While there are many excellent Seattle bed and breakfasts and Tacoma bed and breakfasts to choose from - and even more downtown Seattle and Tacoma hotels, we hope you'll understand why so many choose to make Chinaberry Hill B&B their bed and breakfast lodging destination for the Seattle Tacoma area - and why we continue to be a featured bed and breakfast inn favorite of the travel writers who cover the Seattle Tacoma Washington vacation and business travel lodging scene. We have a very high return rate on our guests - it's not unusual to have several return guests on any given week. We appreciate such loyalty from our clients and we endeavor to make sure that their twentieth visit is just as fun, personal and memorable as their first.
This Tacoma bed and breakfast overlooks the Pacific Northwest Puget Sound in Washington and features bay views, fireplaces, private jacuzzis & a B&B guest cottage with easy access to Tacoma and Seattle attractions, such as Seattle Pike Market, many wonderful Seattle restaurants and Tacoma restaurants, the Tacoma International Glass Museum, the Washington State History Museum in Tacoma Washington, the Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma Antique Row, Seattle Art Museum and Seattle Asian Museum.
Chinaberry Hill Victorian Bed and Breakfast is 7 blocks to downtown Tacoma, 20 minutes to the Seattle Tacoma International airport and 30 minutes to the downtown Seattle Washington area. This remarkable garden bed and breakfast retreat is the closest of any of the bed and breakfasts lodging accommodations to downtown Tacoma Washington, walking distance to the Tacoma Temple Theatre and the Tacoma Convention Center, as well as many of Tacoma's waterfront restaurants, shops and theatres. Point Defiance Park, one of the top vacation visitor destinations in Seattle, Washington, is just 12 minutes from this lovely Tacoma B&B. Within a few blocks of shops, museums, galleries, Antique Row and restaurants, Chinaberry Hill is just 5 minutes from I-5, universities and the Tacoma Dome.
Luxury Victorian B&B Offers Great Access to Seattle &
Tacoma Attractions, Fine Restaurants
With vacation travel lodging dollars at a premium, why settle for a downtown Seattle hotel when you can have a truly unique and memorable bed and breakfast experience at Chinaberry Hill B&B during your stay in the Seattle Tacoma metropolitan area? Bed and breakfasts are known for their hospitality and insight for the vacation traveler - we're delighted to help you make the most of your trip during your stay in the Seattle Washington area.
Chinaberry Hill is located in a great walking neighborhood, filled with gracious turn-of-the-century mansions, tree-lined streets and lovely gardens. High above the city streets, this 1889 Grand Victorian estate is the earliest example of landscape gardening in the Pacific Northwest. Surrounded by 100+ yr. old trees, cascading greenery and captivating views of the Sound, you may forget that your hilltop hideaway is actually an urban inn.
A popular choice for those seeking relaxation and romance, Chinaberry Hill offers spacious multi-room suites, bay views, fireplaces. private Jacuzzi tubs-for-two, ultra-plush queen beds, down comforters and custom bedding, CTVs/VCRs and video library, upscale antique decor and lots of privacy. Filled with original woodwork and stained glass, one-of-a-kind antiques, period lighting and local memorabilia, the inn has been featured in Tacoma's Grand Home Tours and several publications, including...
Amazing Getaways of the Pacific Northwest, Northwest Best Places,
Recommended Country Inns - West Coast, Best Places to Kiss NW,
Seattle Magazine, Sunset Magazine, Conde Nast Travelers, Travel & Leisure,
and Romantic Days and Nights in Seattle.
Affordable luxury! -- Rates are $139 - $225/night + tax and include full gourmet breakfast and complimentary refreshments. Extended stay discounts, single person, corporate rates and group discounts are available.
All 5 guest suites, including the cottage, feature private baths with both tub and shower, ultra-plush queen beds, luxury count fine linens, down comforters and custom bedding, cable TV/VCRs, guest phones and antique decor. The guest kitchen is kept well-stocked with complimentary cookies, juices, sodas, bottled water, gourmet hot chocolate, teas, popcorn, etc.
A 2 story carriage house, Catchpenny Cottage, is also available (special group rate for 2+ night stays: $295 for 4, $25 each additional guest, extended stay discounts also available). The cottage sleeps 6-7, includes two full baths w/showers, private sitting room, large walk-in closet, private double Jacuzzi and clawfoot tub - children of all ages welcome in the Catchpenny Cottage.
Serving the Downtown Business Community
Business traveler services and meeting rooms are also available. Corporate lodging suites feature private ensuite work areas with spacious writing desks, modem jacks, CTVs/VCRs and complimentary video library. As a luxury urban inn, we offer many of the services and amenities provided at the finest hotels. Many of our business guests tell us that they receive a level of lodging at Chinaberry Hill that was not previously within their travel budget.
The Tacoma Landmark Convention Center is just 4 blocks from the inn. The downtown Tacoma Convention Center, next to the Sheraton, is a 15 minute walk. Several shops, restaurants, coffee houses and personal services are within 3 blocks of the inn.
Why stay in a 100+ room concrete high rise, surrounded by the same?
Just say Yes! to affordable luxury in a quiet, historic neighborhood setting.
Located in the heart of North Tacoma's historic district, Chinaberry Hill is just
- 2-3 blocks to several shops, market, restaurants
- 8 blocks to Antique Row & Theatre District
- 3 minutes to waterfront restaurants
- 5 min to I-5, museums, University of Puget Sound
- 15 min to Pt. Defiance Park, Zoo & Aquarium
- 30 minutes to Seattle
Hang out on the wraparound porch and watch the ships go by, visit Antique Row just 8 blocks away, or grab a sea kayak from one of the local outfitters and gain a whole new perspective from the water. Chinaberry Hill is located in a great walking neighborhood - we are in the heart of North Tacoma's historic Stadium District (named after the castle-like landmark that you see on the right). There are over 100 homes and structures in the Stadium District that are on the National Register of Historical Places.
Wright Park, 27 acres with a 100+ year old glass Victorian conservatory, is just 3 blocks from the inn. Several other parks (including Pt. Defiance, a 698 acre rainforest - with trails, beaches, museums, zoo and sea aquarium) are 5-15 minutes away by car.
A 30 minute drive on I-5, 45 minutes on the express bus, or a combination 1 hour scenic ferry ride/drive via Vashon Island gets you to Seattle for a day of shopping and sightseeing. Boat charters are available locally to tour you around the Sound and its many islands. Because we are located so close to downtown and on a major bus route, we are a great destination for people who wish to leave their cars behind. An express bus can take you to the downtown Seattle sights and ferries in 45 minutes.
Museums (including the new Washington State Historical Museum - a $42 million dollar project), theatres, galleries and several great restaurants are either within a few blocks or a short bus ride from the inn.
Children of all ages are welcome in Catchpenny Cottage.
Exploring the Tacoma, Seattle, Puget Sound Area
Pacific Northwest Day Trips
Just south of Seattle, Tacoma is an ideal location for exploring
the Pacific Northwest sights. Popular day trips include:
- Seattle... 30 minutes by car, 45 minutes by express bus, or 30 minutes by ferry and 20 minutes car drive by way of Vashon Island (Vashon is an artist community dating back to early 1900s - wonderful galleries, local art and antique shops, great used book store).
- Mt. Rainier... 1.5 hours
- Olympic National Forest and ocean beaches ... 1.5 to 3 hrs
- Victoria... 2 hrs by car, then a 1 hr scenic ferry ride (or 40 minutes by car, then 2.5 hrs by ferry)
- Mt. St. Helens... 2 hrs
- Crystal Ski Resort (best skiing in Washington - next to Mt. Rainier)... 1.5 hrs
- Washington State History Museum (new 42 million dollar facility next to Union Station - a must see!)... 5 minute drive or 15 minutes by bus.
- Pt. Defiance Park (698 acres of rainforest - beaches, marina - can rent boats, zoo, sea aquarium, gardens, and an extensive system of rainforest trails). If you don't have the time for a daytrip to the Olympic Forest, get your rainforest fix here!... 15 minute drive.
- Antique Row (several blocks of great antique shops -- Tacoma/Pierce County is considered the antique capital of the Northwest)... 8 blocks.
- Ruston Way waterfront park (great for walking, jogging, rollerblading - wonderful waterfront restaurants)... 3 minute drive.
- Sea-kayaking & scuba diving (the protected Puget Sound waters around Tacoma have been called the best scuba diving in the world, home to a myriad of natural fish nurseries - including the best giant octopus colony known to man) ... 15 minute drive.
- Charter a boat (or hop on the ferry) & tour the Sound - a must during whale watching season! (we can arrange trips for you - usually require advance notice)... 15 minute drive or longer, depending on tour or ferry origin.
- Art galleries, museums & Theatre District... 10 blocks. Check season schedules for special events.
- Farmer's Market (every Thursday, June thru September)... 8 blocks.
- Gig Harbor (quaint little fishing village across Tacoma Narrows Bridge - marina, shops, fine restaurants - one of the most photographed sites in Washington)... 20 minute drive.
- Northwest Trek (600 acre animal preserve - grizzlies, moose, buffalo, mountain lion, etc.) - experience the Pacific Northwest's wildlife, as they roam free in the park...30 minute drive.
Within 3 blocks of Chinaberry Hill
- Stadium Historical District
- Market & Flower Shop, Shops (gourmet, antiques, gift, etc.)
- Restaurants & Delis, Coffee houses
- Wright Park & Conservatory (27 acres with over 500 species of plants in the historic Victorian Conservatory)
- Theatres, Museums, Stadium Historical Landmark
- Primitive trail system along bluff overlooks Puget Sound
- Wonderful walks in Victorian neighborhood (over 100 buildings on National Historical Register).
- Bank, Pharmacy, Post Office
- Service Station, Hair Salons, Dry Cleaners
- Video & CD Store (great art film collection)
- Churches, Meeting Facilities/Ballrooms
Comments from Our Guest Book
"... the highlight of our trip -- wonderful - wonderful ...
the company - the food - the accommodations - all the best."
"Enjoy - relax - laugh ... We loved it - so much we returned several hours later."
"Tokyo String Quartet & Chinaberry Hill - best in their class! - A most creative experience!"
"The food was superb & the beds were excellent!"
"Put Chinaberry Hill on wheels and we'd take it on all our vacations!"
"Chinaberry Hill was the best part of my business trip. -- I'll definitely be back!"
"Tacoma - who knew?"
As Quoted in Publications:
"Surrounded by the warm glow of art glass chandeliers, alluring antique furnishings and local memorabilia, it is easy to slip into a slower pace and forget the world outside... Chinaberry Hill is a must-see destination for history buffs and antique lovers... The inn offers an abundance of the unique and eccentric… Multi-room suites are grand in scale, with high ceilings, large windows overlooking the estate gardens and bright, spacious surroundings..." --- Tacoma Weekly
"… an upscale establishment with a tasteful mix of antiques, contemporary artwork
and luxuries such as two-person Jacuzzi tubs …" --- Seattle Magazine
"Water nymphs dance in the dining room, solar-powered crystals glitter at the window, a hand-painted five foot pipe rendering of a sleeping Madonna reigns in the bridal suite… and a friendly fishing bear, carved up buzzsaw art-style, greets you at the door. Not your normal B&B fare." --- Tacoma Weekly
"… original ornate fixtures, hand-carved woodwork, stained glass, leaded windows and Victorian opulence… and something else you don't see too often – a hay chute." --- Tacoma News Tribune
"The house has gas lights converted to electricity; a still-workable ancient intercom once used to summon maids and butlers; a brass sink in the butler's pantry… an extensive collection of period furniture… local memorabilia reminiscent of the lifestyle of 19th century Tacoma upper-crust society." --- Oregonian
How to Find Us
From SeaTac Airport or Seattle
- Take I-5 south to Exit 133 (City Center/705 exit
- Head west towards downtown, following the signs for the 705
- Take Schuster Pkwy exit
- Move immediately to the right and take the very first exit off of Schuster, which is Stadium Way
- Stadium Way exit is a long exit ramp -- keep to the right and go up the hill to the light
- Make a right at the light (this puts you on Stadium Way)
- Go up the hill to the next light & make a right (this puts you on Tacoma Avenue North)
- Go 2 blocks
- We are on the left side, on the corner of North 3rd and North Tacoma (there's a large sign out front)