The Black Horse Inn Bed & Breakfast
How Much Time Should Be Between Your Ceremony and Reception? 26 Sep 2016, 2:33 pm
Planning the perfect day-of schedule is absolutely crucial for the success of your wedding. And yet, it is not even by far as easy as it may appear at first – especially since there are many factors to consider and many unexpected situations to work with as well.
For example, do you know how much time should be between your ceremony and reception? If not, read on, because we have gathered some of the most important etiquette tips when it comes to this.
• There is no actual “right” answer when it comes to this question. It depends on a lot of things – and one of the fundamental ones is when and where you plan to have your ceremony. If you want to have your wedding ceremony in a house of worship, you may get stuck with a morning slot for the event. This means that you will have to redirect people back to their hotels (or towards any other attractions in the area) – but only after offering them a short luncheon!
• Furthermore, if you plan on having an evening wedding, you should not allow more than 60-90 minutes for the break between the ceremony and the reception. Ideally, you should turn this into a cocktail hour and allow guests to freshen up, energize and get in the mood for partying.
• Another option is to plan a cocktail hour and extend it into a dinner service as well. This is a less traditional approach, but it can leave more time for the dancing party too – so you might actually consider the idea.
Still looking for the perfect venue in Virginia? Come visit Black Horse Inn and take a look at this beautiful wedding venue – you will instantly fall in love with it!
How to Have a Traditional Catholic Wedding Ceremony? 19 Sep 2016, 2:37 pm
While some brides and grooms prefer to “run away” from tradition, there are also many of them who like going back to their roots and celebrate their big day in a way that connects them with their ancestry, with their family history and with their beliefs.
For example, if you come from a Catholic family, you may want to have a Catholic wedding ceremony. But how does a traditional one look like? Here are some tips for you to keep in mind:
- It needs to take place in a Catholic church. Unlike with other Christian denominations, a Catholic wedding needs to take place in an actual Catholic house of worship – otherwise, it will not be considered official. There are instances when a bishop may give you permission to have your wedding someplace else (such as an outdoor space) – but these cases are quite rare.
- With or without Nuptial Mass. Many Catholic couples choose to include their wedding in a Nuptial Mass – but some choose to keep it shorter and stick to the basics (vows and exchange of rings). If you do settle on the first version, remember that it will be longer, as it will include the gospel, the homily, the consecration, the communion and the readings (followed by psalms).
- The communion is an important part of the Mass and it will take place once the vows have been spelled out. If you have non-Catholic wedding party members, discuss with your priest and see if they have to line up for the communion too (and simply refrain from taking it), or if it is better for them to stay at their seats until this part of the ceremony is done.
Searching for a lovely wedding venue filled with history, elegance and grace? Come visit Black Horse Inn and take a look at the wonderful wedding venue option we offer right here, in Virginia!
4 Bridal Shower Favors That Are Super Easy to Make 12 Sep 2016, 1:04 pm
Planning a bridal shower is a truly important task – and regardless of what your relationship with the bride may be, you will surely want this pre-wedding party to turn out amazingly beautiful and unforgettable.
What are some bridal shower favors that are very easy to make and more than adorable too? Read on and find your inspiration.
- Hot chocolate mixes. Mason jars have long been a very popular wedding item – and they can make for a truly pretty bridal shower favor container too. Fill them up with hot chocolate mix and marshmallows and wrap them up in nice packaging (you can even add personalized labels and ribbons to the jars to make them more unique-looking!).
- Marbled macaroons. Delicious and irresistible, macaroons are a much-appreciated dessert and wedding favor – so they can be perfect for the bridal shower too. Have them made in a marbled color combination that matches the party’s color scheme and they will look fantastic!
- Tea bags. Do you know the bride is a big fan of tea? Personalize some of her favorite bags with her name (or any other cute message) and offer them as bridal shower favors. People will just love this sweet, healthy idea!
- Ice cream pops. Planning a summer bridal shower? Refresh the guests with some delicious ice cream pops. To make them look really special, create variations that alternate the party’s colors. Guests won’t be able to resist such a delicious, icy sweet treat!
Black Horse Inn is a splendid Virginian wedding venue – so if your friend is still searching for the right place for her Big Day, make sure you introduce her to us. With marvelous natural surroundings and a history that will add elegance to the entire Big Day, our venue is here to make our clients’ weddings feel surreally beautiful – so contact us and find out more about what we offer.
Getaway Adventures for Black Horse Inn Guests 6 Sep 2016, 12:52 pm
For a quick getaway, withdraw less than an hour away from DC to a tranquil and comforting escape that is Black Horse Inn. Leave behind the city as you stroll through boxwood gardens, enjoy classic films from the library, or have afternoon tea overlooking stunning open land. Pair your escape with some of these great Virginia locations, just a few miles up the road. You will be talking about your getaway for years to come.
- Empower Adventure: Middleburg, VA If you’re looking for thrill, experience the rush of flying through the tree tops on 5 different zip lining courses. The courses allow you to take in over 20 acres of beautiful flora and fauna from a height ranging from 275ft to 670ft in the air. With events such as Midnight Zip Tours and packages like Survival Challenge, this will definitely prove to be an unforgettable experience.
- Messick’s Farm’s Market: Bealeton, VA Savor the fruits of your labor as you experience delicious mouthfuls of freshly picked strawberries. Then, to keep the day from ending, grab a couple of blankets, your strawberries, local BBQ, and enjoy your ideal picnic.
- Twilight Polo: The Plains, VA Enjoy an exciting date night or evening with friends and family as you watch a fast paced arena polo match from an elevated berm covered in lush grass. As you enjoy the game, Greenhill Winery will be on site selling some of their delicious selections of wines. If you don’t want to leave after the match is over, end the evening dancing to a DJ in the pavilion.
- Marriott Ranch Guided Horseback Riding: Hume, VA Surround yourself with scenic views of the Blue Ridge Mountains as you enjoy various horse related activities. One activity including a ninety-minute horseback ride through 4,200 acres of pastures, creeks, grazing cattle, and peaceful woods. Then continue your day with a relaxing picnic basket lunch on the ranch’s gorgeous grounds.
- Pearmund Cellars Winery: Broad Run, VA. Indulge in wines that were voted as the best in the state. Wines like the 2014 Viognier that has hints of white peach and honeysuckle or a 2013 Old Vine Chardonnay that unveils flavors of butter and toasted oak with hints of ripe pears and apples. Enjoy learning about these wines and more in the Tasting Room or discover how they’re made on a customized tour.
How to Keep Pokémon Go From Ruining Your Wedding 5 Sep 2016, 2:26 pm
A true craze that has swept over the world, Pokémon Go is far from being history – and, in many respects, you have to appreciate the huge phenomena, even if you’re not a big fan of the little creatures.
When it comes to your wedding though, the last thing you want is people to be glued to their screens, trying to catch them all. And even more than that, you really don’t want intruders to trespass your wedding space just because they want to hunt Pokémon.
What is there to do about it? How can you keep Pokémon from ruining your wedding day? Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Put up signs. If you plan on getting married in a public space, make sure you put up signs and announce that there’s a wedding happening. A simple “Please be considerate of our special event” sign should ward off the majority of the Pokémon hunters. However, if any of them trespass your space, politely ask them in person to step away, explaining the importance of this event.
- Keep it unplugged. Want to be 100% sure your guests will not spend their time wandering after Pokémons instead of having fun on the dance floor? Plan an unplugged wedding! This way, no digital distraction will come in the way of your wedding ambiance.
- Designate “lookouts”. If you don’t want to forbid gadget use at your wedding, ask your bridesmaids or other people close to you to politely ask guests to refrain from gaming if they spend too much time doing it.
Searching for an absolutely gorgeous wedding venue in Virginia? Come see what Black Horse Inn can offer! Located in the middle of nature and surrounded by history and elegance, our venue makes for truly unforgettable weddings!
Photo credit: Kristen Gardner Photography
Involving Your Children in Your Wedding 29 Aug 2016, 3:36 pm
Your children are a hugely important part of your life! Therefore, you will definitely want them close to you in all those special and unforgettable moments – including your wedding day. How can you involve your children in the Big Day, though?
We have gathered some ideas for you – so read on and find out more.
- Include them in the attendants’ group. It doesn’t matter how young your children may be – there’s always room for Ring Bearers, Flower Girls or, why not Junior Bridesmaids or Junior Groomsmen. Not only are these roles of high importance, but they will also make your kids feel really included in the magic of the Big Day.
- Ask them to help with various tasks. Planning a wedding can be downright tiresome – so you will definitely need a helpful hand with certain tasks. If they are old enough, your kids can help with a lot of elements (e.g. they can spend time with you on the invitations, for example).
- Include them in a special photo shooting. This is a truly unique and amazing moment of your life – so you will want it captured in a genuinely gorgeous way. Why not include your kids as well? They are part of your family and they are part of your very own fairytale – so pictures with them will be not only more than appropriate, but also extremely sentimental.
- Ask them to speak, sing or perform something. Does your kid have any kind of special talent? If so, you can definitely ask him/her to sing or perform at your wedding. Also, if your children are of an appropriate age, they can also give a reading or even a toast – it will definitely make for a truly emotional moment!
Searching for the perfect wedding venue in Virginia? Come visit Black Horse Inn and we guarantee you will love every single part of what we can offer here! Come visit us and you will want to book us right away!
Photo credit: Kristen Garden Photography
Nontraditional Cake Table Ideas You Will Want for Your Wedding 22 Aug 2016, 10:19 am
Your wedding has to be splendid from all points of view – and this includes every detail, from the centerpieces to the colors you use for the wedding décor, and from the delicious meal you serve, to the amazing signature cocktail you include in the Big Day.
Of course, your wedding cake makes no exception from the rule – but how do you decorate your cake table in a beautiful, nontraditional way? We have some ideas for you – so read on and find out more.
- Make it more than just about the cake. Although this is an idea that has become more popular in the past few years, it can truly bring joy and deliciousness to your guests – especially the ones with a serious sweet tooth. Create a table arrangement with your cake and several other types of sweets (pies, candy, chocolates, etc.). People will definitely love it!
- Switch the cake. Not a big fan of cake? There’s nobody to say you actually HAVE to have one at your wedding. Replace it with your favorite dessert (be it cupcakes, doughnuts or anything else) and guests will love indulging in a wider variety of sweet treats!
- A table full of fresh flowers. There’s something about fresh flowers that will always be considered gorgeously elegant and truly romantic. So, why not bring fresh flowers into your wedding cake table décor? Fill the entire table with fresh blooms and place the cake in the middle – it will look spectacular!
Black Horse Inn is a wedding venue full of tradition, beauty and timelessness. We take pride in our superb location in Savannah – but even more than that, we take pride in the fact that every wedding we host here turns out absolutely amazing. Come visit us yourself and take a look at what we can offer for your Big Day! You will not regret it!
3 Reasons You Should Send Out Save the Dates 15 Aug 2016, 12:53 pm
Obviously, your wedding is truly important for you – and it is definitely important for your loved ones too. However, if you want all of your close friends and relatives to be there for you on the Big Day, you will have to be quite careful with how you plan the details of this hugely essential moment in your life.
For example, sending out Save the Dates can be really crucial in the entire wedding planning process. Why is that, more exactly? Read on and find out more.
- You give everyone the heads-up. In other words, you make sure they don’t make any other plans on your wedding date, so that they can travel and share the joy with you. To make sure the Save the Dates reach everyone out in time, send them with at least a few months before the actual wedding date (preferably 6, but if you send them at least 4 months ahead, things should generally move smooth).
- Furthermore, Save the Dates are a great opportunity to share information you might not want to share when you send out the actual invitations. For instance, these cards are a great place to share your wedding website (which, in its turn will be a great place to share wedding location details, maps, dress code tips, as well as registry information).
- Last, but definitely not least, Save the Date cards are an amazing way to double your engagement photos’ purpose (as well as your trial makeup and hairstyle).If you want to make your Save the Dates interesting and unique, including photos from your engagement photo session is a wonderful idea!
Still searching for a wedding venue to really make everyone feel amazing? Come visit Black Horse Inn in Virginia – we guarantee you will be charmed by our natural beauty, our history, and our timeless sense of elegance!
Photo credit: Kristen Gardner Photography
A Couple of Ways to Recycle Your Wedding Items 8 Aug 2016, 2:28 pm
It is truly no secret that a wedding can end up costing a lot of money – so why wouldn’t you want to “recycle” your wedding items and re-use them again? If you are curious to learn more about this, we have gathered some tips for you – so read on and find out more.
- Your dress. There are many ways to re-purpose your wedding gown and breathe new life into it! For starters, you could offer it to a friend or relative to wear on her wedding day. Or you could transform it in your first child’s Christening clothes. Or, you could simply sell or donate it!
- Your food. Chances are there will be a lot of leftovers from the wedding. If you cannot pack them away and offer them to guests as they leave home, see if you cannot donate them to a food shelter nearby. It would be such a wonderful gesture!
- Your flowers. As gorgeous as they may be on your wedding day, your flowers won’t be as pretty a few days post-wedding – so it’s better to find a way to “recycle” them. You could, for example, offer them to guests as a wedding favor, or you could donate them to nearby hospitals and nursing homes. Furthermore, you could also talk to the couple who will have the wedding right after yours, and see if they are not willing to split the costs for the florals.
Looking for a stunning wedding venue? Come visit Black Horse Inn! Nature feels at home here, at our beautiful location in Virginia – and with the history our venue has, you are bound to get married in an elegant, timeless and absolutely amazing place. Come visit us, see what we offer, and book us for your Big Day!
Photo credit: Kristen Gardner Photography
Make Sure You Have No Regrets for Your Wedding Day 2 Aug 2016, 2:46 pm
Your wedding day is the kind of event that’s completely unique in your entire life. The beauty of these moments, the way you will feel as you walk down the aisle, the shivers of love and excitement the first dance will send down your spine, the amazing happiness you will experience as you cut the cake – these are all moments that are truly “once-in-a-lifetime” – so you definitely want them to be perfect.
Regrets shouldn’t have any kind of place in the way your Big Day turns out – but how do you make sure of that? What are some common wedding regrets brides have once the Big Day is over? Read on and find out more.
- Stressing too much. Yes, stressing too much is right on the top of the list of regrets brides experience after their weddings. The more stressed out you are, the less likely it is that you will actually enjoy the beauty of this superb event – and the more you will miss out on it. Stop stressing out over the flowers, over the colors and even over the dress. Everything is going to be PERFECT!
- Not trusting the vendors. If you have hired these people, it must be for a good reason. They have the experience, the know-how and the patience needed to help you plan the Big Day as you have always wanted it to be. So, if they suggest something, take a moment to consider it at least – it may turn out that their idea is actually amazing.
- Not hiring a videographer. Of course, hiring a photographer should come without saying. But what about hiring a videographer too? There are moments photography cannot properly “preserve” (such as your wedding vows or the toasts) – so hiring a videographer will be more than worth it.
Still on the lookout for the perfect venue? Come see what beautiful Black Horse Inn has to offer! Come see what we are all about and book us for a truly magical, unforgettable wedding day!