The Black Horse Inn Bed & Breakfast
Do You Have to Take Your Husband’s Last Name? 29 Jun 2015, 11:27 am
Traditional wedding and marriage-related concepts are slowly changing, as society heads towards a more equalitarian point of view. However, it is up to each couple whether or not they choose to go with the trend or stick with the more traditional views on marriage.
For instance, if you are among the many brides-to-be wondering if you have to take your husband’s last name, you should know that this decision pertains to you and your future spouse – and to nobody else.
What are some of the things to keep in mind when it comes to this? Read on and find out more.
- You don’t have to take your husband’s last name. But it is frequently thought to be easier this way when it comes to the raising children in the future (for instance, when going on trips, it will be easier for you to have the same name). Furthermore, many women see this as a way to show the world that they and the men they love have become a family.
- You may have your own reasons not to take your husband’s name. For example, if you have made a name for yourself and if you want people to still recognize you by your old name, it is more than acceptable not to take your husband’s name.
- Some ladies also choose to merge the two names together. Most often, this is the perfect “compromise” between keeping your name and taking your husband’s name as well and it also works quite alright if you want to create a special monogram for your family too.
If you are still looking for the perfect wedding venue to host the most beautiful day of your life, come visit Black Horse Inn. Surrounded by nature and history, our venue is perfect for unforgettable weddings – call us and see for yourself!
4 Ways to Handle a Difficult Bridesmaid 22 Jun 2015, 2:14 pm
Every bride wants to be the Queen of her Big Day – but this also means having the right attendants by your side too. Keep this in mind though: no matter how great a friend your bridesmaids may be, there may still be times when you will have to deal with a more difficult attitude. What to do then? How to make sure you keep your friendship and that you gracefully handle a difficult bridesmaid? We have gathered 4 of the most useful tips – so make sure to read on if you want to find out more.
- Be open and talk to them. Communication is key in every single relationship – including the one between you and your bridesmaids. If you feel that one of your special ladies has stepped over the line, simply talk to them and try to see if there’s an actual reason they did that (and if you could do something about it).
- Spend time with the other bridesmaids. If you have a bridesmaid that always seems to be negative, simply stop spending as much time with her. Sure, this may be your Big Day, but your bridesmaids’ lives are moving on as well and she may be going through a rough time.
- Be considerate of your bridesmaids from the very beginning. Remember, these ladies are spending their time and their money to be there for you on your Big Day. Thus, you should show them some consideration too. Choose dresses that are not very expensive and be delicate with those bridesmaids who may simply not afford all paying for all of the bridesmaids costs. Also, make sure to choose dresses that suit multiple body types (or to allow the ladies to pick their own designs).
- Think before you fight. Most likely, you have chosen a particular person to be your bridesmaid because she means a lot to you. Before you get into a fight with her or before you tell her to step down from her role, make sure to take this into consideration. Decide if it wouldn’t be better for both of you to leave this discussion until after the wedding.
Black Horse Inn is a wonderful wedding venue located in Virginia. We will provide you with history, grace, elegance and a natural landscape worthy of a Hollywood movie – just come and take a look around. We guarantee you will absolutely love what we have to offer!
Outdoor Bridal Shower on a Budget 16 Jun 2015, 5:06 pm
Weddings tend to be quite expensive – and not just for the bride and groom, but for all the other people who are part of the wedding party too. If you want to plan an outdoor bridal shower on a budget, you should definitely know that this can be done. Here are some great tips to help you plan your friend’s or relative’s outdoor bridal shower on a budget:
- You don’t have to serve expensive food. Remember, this party is not even meant to be as elegant and as expensive as the wedding itself, so finger foods will be more than suitable. Plus, there are a lot of variations when it comes to finger foods and they are more than delicious too – so you will have a lot of options to choose from.
- Furthermore, you don’t need expensive décor either. If you plan an outdoor bridal shower, the landscape surrounding you will be more than enough when it comes to the décor. Also, you can successfully replace expensive flower arrangements with flower bouquets bought from the local greenhouse – and they will look more than beautiful too!
- Last, but definitely not least, don’t forget about the lighting. The best way to bring some light into an outdoor bridal shower is by using paper lanterns. They are completely inexpensive and, with a bit of creativity and time, you can actually create your own, at home (and you can personalize them according to the bridal shower theme too).
If your friend or relative is searching for a gorgeous wedding venue for her Big Day, make sure to suggest her Black Horse Inn. Surrounded by natural beauty and with a marvelous history behind it, our venue makes for unforgettable weddings all year round – and it is more than likely that your friend will love what we offer!
5 Cool Ways to Serve Beer at Your Wedding 8 Jun 2015, 2:04 pm
While weddings are generally considered to be “formal” and “elegant” events, the truth is that there’s nothing stopping you from serving beer at your wedding too. What are some of the coolest ways to do this? Black Horse Inn has gathered some really nice ideas – so make sure to read on if you want some inspiration.
- · Be 100% unique. If you want to, you can brew your own beer at home and serve it in personalized bottles. This way, your guests will have a taste of something that is really unique and natural – and they will definitely love it too.
- · Get Stylish kegs. To add some style to a dull keg, you can decorate it with flowers. Also, you could ask your caterer about the option of providing you with keg barrels, which work perfectly especially in a rustic/country wedding décor.
- · Choose a special container. If you don’t want to serve keg beer, you could always invest in a special container (such as barrels, a wooden boat or any other container able to hold ice and large amounts of beer bottles). This will contribute a lot to your décor and it will surely add a special “tone” that will be more than appreciated.
- · Create a special DIY bar. People love DIY bars – so why not make one focused on beer? This is a really fun idea and your guests will definitely love to prepare their own beer mixes at your wedding reception.
- · Organize a craft beer tasting. If you know some of your guests are big fans of this drink, why not organize a craft beer tasting at your wedding? This will be really fun and it will definitely stick to your guests’ memories as one of the best wedding activities ever!
Regardless of the drinks you want to serve at your wedding and regardless of what décor you want to choose for it, don’t forget to visit Black Horse Inn when searching for the perfect venue. Versatile, elegant and full of history, our wedding venue always makes for unforgettable weddings – so you will definitely be enchanted by what we can offer!
Should You Offer Wedding Favors For Kids? 1 Jun 2015, 12:20 pm
Your wedding is a joyous, beautiful event for everyone who will be there for you – including the little ones. If you plan on having kids invited at your wedding, offering them special wedding favors is a great way of showing them just how important it is for you that they are there. What are some of the best and most beautiful wedding favors for kids? Read here and inspire yourself:
- Sweet treats. We have yet to meet someone in the world who doesn’t love a delicious, sweet treat – and kids definitely do not make an exception from this rule. Although their parents may not be overly delighted with the “sugar extra” you will be offering their kids, they will surely understand that this is a special occasion. Mini-caramel apples, mini cookies and mini candy bars are excellent ideas for your young guests, but there are many other sweet treats you can use too.
- Coloring book. Create a custom coloring book for your wedding and pack it beautifully with some crayons and colored pencils. This is not only be something kids will actually enjoy, but it will also keep them busy during the wedding too (so they’ll have tons of fun).
- Pinwheel pots. Kids love colors and pinwheels are an explosion of color that takes place right under their noses. “Plant” some pretty pinwheels in some lightweight pots and offer them to the kids that come to your wedding!
Regardless of what wedding favors you choose for your guests (be them young or old), Black Horse Inn will make for the perfect venue choice. Surrounded by the gorgeousness of nature and by a beautiful history, our wedding venue is here for your Big Day. Contact us and find out more about what we can offer!
Common Money Mistakes Newlyweds Make 26 May 2015, 5:06 pm
We all make mistakes – but the good news is that this is how we learn. Of course, money mistakes make absolutely no exception from this rule and there are a lot of newlyweds who can actually confirm this to you. What are some of the most common money mistakes a lot of newlyweds make? Read on, find out more and try to avoid them too!
- Of course, everyone fights and it’s quite natural. However, fighting over your finances instead of trying to actually fix your problems is a huge mistake because it will never lead to anything good. In fact, it will actually deepen the communication problems and it will never actually solve the issue that was at the very foundation of the fight in the first place.
- Not having a budget. Creating a budget and sticking to it is very important regardless of whether you are newlyweds or if you have been married for decades. This will help you save money for all the things you want to do and see and it will also help you avoid fighting over money too.
- Not having any kind of emergency fund. You do need it. You may think that nothing bad could happen to you in an unexpected way, but the harsh truth is that it can Make sure to save money for the rainy days and you will not have to face financial issues that are more serious than this.
If you are still planning your wedding and if you want your wedding venue to be classy, beautiful and more than versatile, make sure to check with Black Horse Inn. Surrounded by gorgeous nature and amazing history, our venue will make for the kind of wedding none of your guests will ever forget!
Have A Holiday Wedding – A Good Idea, Or Not? 18 May 2015, 10:44 am
The date you choose for your wedding is a very important decision because it will influence a wide range of wedding-related issues. If you are considering the option of having a holiday wedding, make sure you thoroughly think about this and whether or not it actually is a good choice for you.
What are the advantages and the disadvantages of having a holiday wedding? What are the main things you should think of when it comes to this? Read on and find out more.
- Before you settle the date of your wedding on a big holiday (such as New Year’s Eve), make sure you consider both your budget and your guests’ budget too. Truthfully, prices do tend to be higher during very important holidays and this might put a strain on your budget (and on your guests’ too).
- Furthermore, do take into consideration the fact that it might be more difficult to find a wedding officiant as well. Even more than that, think of the fact that your guests may actually want to spend certain holidays at home, with their families – and this means that some of them may not attend the wedding (or, if they do, they might not be extremely happy about it).
- On the other hand, if you are hosting your wedding at a location most of your guests would already travel to during the holidays, they will most likely find it a great idea that you are planning your wedding around that date.
- Last, but not least, it is also important to note that official holidays that fall on Monday or Friday are a very good option from all points of view. Three-day weekends will allow you to host your wedding on Sunday – which is less expensive from all points of view and it will still be surrounded by that special fragrance holidays bring with them too.
Black Horse Inn would be more than delighted to be your wedding venue choice! With many years of experience in doing this and with a genuine passion for amazing love stories, we will make for a wonderful option for your Big Day. Contact us, come visit us and we guarantee you will not regret it!
How To Write Your Own Wedding Vows 11 May 2015, 2:50 pm
Wedding vows are more than just words – they are the very foundation upon which you will want to build your marriage once the wedding is over. Thus, choosing to write your own wedding vows is a natural decision for a lot of couples.
How do you do this? How do you write your own wedding vows? We have gathered some of the best tips when it comes to this so make sure to read on if you want to find out more.
- Don’t be afraid to write what you feel. Yes, a white sheet of paper can be intimidating indeed. But you should not be afraid of it. Sit down, think of the person you love and write the first thoughts that come to your head. Write for 5-10 minutes and read what you have written. Clean it up by using and polishing the ideas you like and by getting rid of those you don’t.
- Take inspiration from religious wedding vows. Even if you don’t plan on having a religious ceremony, you can still take inspiration from the traditional religious wedding vows. They will give you a “blue print” for your own personalized wedding vows too.
- Take inspiration from books and movies. Do you have a favorite book? A favorite love poem? Or maybe a favorite movie that touched your heart in a special way? Don’t be afraid to use them as inspiration. In fact, you can even use quotes from them if you feel that they would reveal what you feel for the person you are about to get married to.
Black Horse Inn is one of the most beautiful and well-known wedding venues in Virginia. Come take a look at our cozy, elegant inn and book us for the Big Day! Both you and your guests will feel amazing while here!
Why Pack For Your Wedding Day Right Away 4 May 2015, 12:14 pm
Your wedding day will be stressful enough as it is – and the last thing you need to worry about is that you forgot something at home. Why is it that you should carefully pack for your wedding day and what to include in your wedding day “survival kit”? Read on and find out more.
- You need to be very careful when packing for the wedding day. Although you will not need a full luggage of items (aside from the honeymoon luggage, of course), there are things you should definitely not forget at home. Packing your survival kit as soon as possible and as carefully as possible will allow you to feel a bit more stress-free on the Big Day, knowing that you have everything you need with you.
- The marriage license. If you want to make everything “official”, you will really need to make sure you pack your marriage license with you. After all, this is the legal document that attests the fact that you and your special someone are legally “approved” to become husband and wife.
- The dress kit. Although you will definitely not want anything bad to happen to your dress, you should make sure to pack a dress “repair” kit with you. A beautiful brooch, chalk, scissors, needle, thread, safety pins, buttons stain removers, white duct tape, a lighter – these are some of the most important things to include in your kit. Furthermore, don’t forget to pack another pair of undergarments with you, some clear nail polish, hair spray, bobby pins, hair bands and makeup products and makeup removal products as well.
- The hygiene/medical kit. To make sure you stay fresh throughout the day and to make sure you avoid health-related issues, pack the following items: some pain relievers, deodorant, towelettes, allergy medicine, tampons, panty liners, blotting papers, tissues, baby powder and something that will prevent blisters too.
Black Horse Inn is one of the most wonderful historic venues in Virginia. Contact us, visit us and book us for the Big Day! You will definitely fall in love with us once you take a look at our inn!
Black Horse Inn Featured in the Bed and Breakfast Magazine! 3 May 2015, 12:11 am
Black Horse Inn is more than happy to announce that we have been mentioned in an amazing article featured by the Bed and Breakfast Magazine. The article, Civil war inns: History in the making , tells the beautiful story behind our venue. We are more than thankful for those who thought of us when creating this great list of historic inns!
As you may know it, Black Horse Inn got its name from the famous Black Horse Cavalry, which won the First Battle of Manassas and the praise of the Confederate President, Jefferson Davis. These days, our inn welcomes its guest in a plantation-style mansion of a high elegance and beauty.
Come visit us at Black Horse Inn as well! Come stay for a night or plan your wedding or event with us! There’s absolutely no way not to love what we can offer!