The Black Horse Inn Bed & Breakfast
How to Make Sure You Make Time for Every Guest at Your Wedding 28 Nov 2016, 2:22 pm
Your wedding is going to be a pretty hectic day – in between the tears, the emotion, the nervousness and the small incidents, you will also want to make sure you make a little bit of time for every single guest at your wedding.
How to make sure that happens? How to make time for all of your wedding guests? We have some tips for you – so read on and find out more.
- Forget about the receiving line. Not only is it dated and too stiff for a modern wedding, but it can also be a really awful mood-killer for many of your guests. As they stand in line, waiting to be greeted, your guests can very easily lose their appetite for partying – and that’s the last thing you want before your wedding reception.
- Instead, make some time to stop at each table or cluster of tables to say hello and thank everyone for their presence there. Take short pauses in between the groups of tables to eat, dance and enjoy the first wedding reception highlights – then, go back to the next table in “line”.
- Last, but not least, accommodate yourself with the idea that you might not be able to eat an entire meal. Either ask your caterer to prepare an early dinner for your cocktail hour, or ask them to pack it up for you so that you can enjoy it when you are finally relaxed, at the end of the day. Another option is that of skipping the first course and jumping right to the second one.
Looking for a beautiful wedding venue in Virginia? Come visit Black Horse Inn and take a look at the splendid historical venue we have put at your disposal! You will LOVE it here, that’s for sure!
Photo source: flickr.com/ balleyne
The Secrets to Beautiful Wedding Lighting 21 Nov 2016, 4:21 pm
Your wedding should be gorgeous from all points of view. The flowers, the table linens, the music in the background- they have to perfectly and smoothly blend into one another to create the perfect atmosphere for the most important day of your entire life. Of course, your wedding lighting plays a huge role in creating the right ambiance – but how to choose it? What are the secrets to beautiful wedding lighting?
We have some tips for you – so read on and find out more.
- A very large venue. While large venues are great for accommodating more guests in a comfortable way, they can also feel empty and cold if they are not properly decorated. The best way to create a sense of intimacy here is by layering different types of lighting (and maybe even playing in some bolder colors too). DO make sure not to point the lights towards the guests’ faces – more than often, this type of lighting is highly unflattering for just about anyone and you definitely don’t want that for your guests.
- An industrial space. These types of venues have their own charm, but they also have very specific requirements. The best way to light up an industrial space is by using amber-colored lighting (either through amber-colored LEDs or through candles). This will make everything softer and more welcoming for the guests.
- A historical building. Planning your wedding at a historical venue (or a venue that has very beautiful intricate architecture)? Make sure it will be superbly lit up during the evening as well! Hire someone to add architectural lighting to the venue and it will look absolutely breath-taking!
Still searching for a truly beautiful wedding venue? Come and see what Black Horse Inn can offer! Come and see what our venue is all about and book us for a magical wedding day!
Photo source: flickr.com/ xubangwen
Why Would You Wear Flats on Your Wedding Day? 15 Nov 2016, 1:21 pm
Selecting a beautiful wedding dress, a flattering makeup and hairstyle and a bunch of gorgeous accessories are all important parts of planning the most stunning bridal look your guests have ever seen. However, it is very important to remember your footwear is highly crucial too – not only for the sake of your look, but for the sake of your comfort too.
Why would you wear flats on your wedding day? We have some of the most popular reasons to convince you – so read on and find out more.
- You are simply not good on high heels. It happens, ladies – and it is perfectly OK. Rather than risk tripping over something (and probably making a huge mess out of your dress), it is far better to wear a pair of shoes you actually feel safe in.
- You really want to dance. It’s your wedding day, so it’s only natural that you want to have fun and dance. Unfortunately though, heels are rarely comfortable in this kind of situation – and almost never for more than one or two dances. A pair of flats is a truly great idea if you want to stick to your wedding dance floor all night long.
- You are having an outdoor wedding. Outdoor weddings are completely unsuitable for heels, as they can very easily get stuck in the earth beneath you. Stay safe and comfortable by wearing a pair of flats instead – and encourage your bridesmaids and guests to do the same too!
Searching for a splendid Virginian wedding venue? Come visit Black Horse Inn and allow yourself to be infused with history and elegance. Come visit us and take a look at the gorgeous wedding venue we offer here in Virginia. You will LOVE what we have in store for you!
Photo source: flickr.com/ A Little Contrast Photography
Why You Should Or Shouldn’t Have Your Wedding on Thanksgiving 7 Nov 2016, 1:25 pm
Thanksgiving is one of the most beautiful, joyful and warmest holidays in the United States – and it might be a very good option for a wedding too. What are the pros and cons of setting your wedding date on Thanksgiving, though? We have some tips for you – so read on and find out more.
- It can be very intimate and cozy. If you want a smaller wedding, invite your very close friends and family and celebrate your Thanksgiving wedding in a warm, welcoming atmosphere.
- It can be really fun. There are a lot of Thanksgiving motifs and traditions that can be successfully worked into your wedding day. Use your creativity and it will all turn amazingly gorgeous!
- It can help you control the size of your guest list. Given that not many people are willing to attend weddings on Thanksgiving, you will have the perfect excuse to create a smaller, more intimate guest list.
- Flying on Thanksgiving can be utterly expensive. Because this is a huge holiday, it is more than likely that airfares will be more expensive (which, depending on where you have your wedding, might affect both you and your guests).
- Vendors might not be cheap. These people have families too, so they will most likely charge extra for their presence at your wedding (so, no, you shouldn’t expect an “off-the-season” discount on this particular date).
- Not everyone will attend. There may be a lot of people you genuinely want at your wedding, but who might not be able to attend it because they are spending Thanksgiving with their families.
Black Horse Inn is a superb Virginian wedding venue you will love from the very first second you see it. Come visit us, take a look at our offer and book us for a genuinely marvelous Big Day!
Photo source: flickr.com/ Gabriel GM
7 Creative Ideas for Your Wedding Bar 31 Oct 2016, 6:12 pm
As 2016 is slowly fading out, making room for an exciting new year, we’re all looking forward to the new wave of wedding trends about to take over the bridal scene. As always, wedding bars make no exception from the rule – and considering signature drinks are quite “out”, we are all expecting to see more and more creative ideas centered around the drinks served at a wedding.
What are some of the best and most creative ideas for your wedding bar? We have gathered them right below – so read on and find your inspiration.
- Beer tap. Planning a wedding with rustic influences? Why not plan a rustic beer tap and serve delicious craft beers? To make this more personal, you could serve craft beers from the areas you come from or from places that are meaningful for your relationship!
- Punch bowl. Want to create a perfectly comfy feeling at your wedding? Invite guests to help themselves from punch bowls! Nothing says “family party” more than a delicious bowl filled with homemade punch!
- Vintage bathtub. If you are planning a vintage-inspired wedding, this idea is absolutely perfect! Just take a vintage bathtub, fill it with ice and drinks and allow your guests to refresh themselves. Such a simple, but chic idea!
- Apple cider jugs. With fall here, apple cider is back in full force – and weddings are definitely taken aback by its deliciousness too. Serve your apple ciders from large jugs to add a natural, rustic touch to the entire wedding!
- A Roaring Twenties-inspired bar. Planning a glamorously vintage wedding? Why not rent a bar inspired by the Great Gatsby Era? It will definitely attract everyone’s attention with its luxuriousness and style!
- Camper bar. Perfect for a 60s or boho-chic wedding, a camper bar will add a fun touch to the Big Day, making it more special in the eyes of your guests. Be sure to stock up your camper bar with all sorts of fun alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks!
- Cupboard bar. For a house party-like feeling, take an old cupboard and fill it with delicious drinks. Large punch jars, craft beers, tasty wines – they can all fit into a nice-looking cupboard, regardless of whether you are planning an outdoor wedding or an indoor one.
Still on the lookout for the perfect wedding venue in Virginia? Come visit Black Horse Inn and allow yourself to be charmed by the elegant simplicity of our historical wedding venue!
Photo source: flickr.com/ Farther Along
Groomsmen’s Simple To-Do List 24 Oct 2016, 3:30 pm
Being a groomsman is a true honor – but it always comes with a fair share of responsibilities as well. What are the things you will be expected to do as a groomsman on your wedding day? We have gathered some of them right below – so read on and find out more.
• Turn off the phone. It is bad enough to have a ceremony interrupted by a guests’ ringtone – but it is absolutely awful to have this happening to a groomsman sitting in front of the altar. Before the wedding starts, be sure you turn off your phone and keep it this way until the ceremony is over!
• Leave the chewing gum in the trash bin. This is a hugely special moment – both for your friend and for his wife-to-be as well. Respect the sanctity and magic of this beautiful memory they are building and leave the chewing gum far, far away from the ceremony.
• Double-check on your boutonnieres. You want to look really great as you support your great friend and the amazing step he’s making in life. Therefore, it is expected of you to double-check and make sure your boutonnieres look flawless – as well as everything else about your attire too.
• Throw an eye on your comrades’ attires too. Do they look polished? Is everyone buttoned-down? Although it is generally the Best Man’s duty to ensure everyone is in order, he might get super-busy on the day of the wedding, so why not help him and your fellow groomsmen by taking one last look at each other before you take your place at the altar?
Black Horse Inn is a superb wedding venue! Charged with tradition and history, beautified by timeless elegance and delicacy and truly unique in its own way, our venue can make your Big Day feel as if it was torn out of a fairytale. Come visit us and convince yourself!
Photo source: flickr.com/ blavoulondon
Top Hairband Accessories for a Flawless Bridal Look 18 Oct 2016, 2:38 pm
Your wedding look is very important to you – and it is perfectly natural to feel this way. You only get married once and this day is completely special in your entire life – so it’s normal to want to look at your finest.
How to accessorize your hair with a stunning hairband? We have some wonderful suggestions to inspire you – so read on and find out more.
• A pretty leaf-inspired headband. Planning a nature-inspired wedding? Or maybe a rustic-chic event? If so, consider the option of accessorizing your natural-looking hairstyle with a golden leaf headband. It will look more than stunning on you!
• A delicate bow headband. Want to create a feminine, sweet and romantic look? Opt for a colored gemstone hairband that ties in a bow knot at the back of your head. It will look elegant, pretty and truly unique as well!
• A Grecian headband. This idea is perfect for a summer wedding – and even more so if your dress is even slightly inspired by Grecian or Roman fashion. The headband will add uniqueness and style to your entire wedding look!
• A crystal headband. Looking for an elegant piece of jewelry to make yourself feel truly royal on your wedding day? How about a crystal headband? Delicate and beautiful, this could be the ideal hair accessory for a winter wedding, but it can work marvelously with a spring wedding look too.
Looking for a timeless wedding venue in Virginia? Here, at Black Horse Inn, we have witnessed the beauty of love not once, but hundreds of times – and each love story touches us in beautiful, unforgettable ways. Allow us to be part of your romantic story and you will never regret it! Come visit our venue and book us for your Big Day!
Photo credit: Kristen Gardner Photography
Single-Bloom Bridesmaid Bouquet Trends Your Love 10 Oct 2016, 3:12 pm
As the bride, you will want your attendants to look just as gorgeous as you do. Of course, choosing nice dresses for them is very important – but don’t forget about the feminine touches that will make your bridesmaids shine too!
For example, are you aware of the latest single-bloom bridesmaid bouquet trends? If not, here are some wonderful ideas to inspire you in creating gorgeous single-bloom bouquets for your special ladies:
• Garden roses. Your bridesmaids will look amazing holding
sprigs of Juliet garden roses! These bflowers are extremely
feminine, they are classy and they are unique at the same time too.
Perfect for a garden or nature-inspired wedding!
• Magnolias. Delicate, elegant and truly stylish, magnolias are flowers with amazing power- and they will look fantastic in your bridesmaids’ hands. Pair one magnolia bloom with a sprig of leaves and your bridesmaids will absolutely love the idea!
• Dahlias. Want to make a statement with your bridesmaids’ bouquets? Opt for dahlia blooms – one for each bridesmaid. Imagine how stunning and impressive your bridesmaids will look holding white dahlia blooms as they support you for one of the most amazing days of your life!
• Peonies. As an all-time wedding favorite, peonies are extremely delicate and more than elegant too. If your bridesmaids are wearing light pink dresses, pair their looks with superb bright-pink peony blooms. The contrast will add a pop of color to the entire mix and it will also make your special ladies feel more stylish too!
Still looking for the perfect wedding venue in Virginia? Come visit Black Horse Inn! Our historical wedding venue is here to provide you with everything you need to plan a wedding none of your guests will ever forget. Contact us, come see what we offer and allow yourself to be charmed by the beauty and timelessness of our venue!
Photo credit: Kristen Gardner Photography
Crazy Wedding Disasters That Really Happened 3 Oct 2016, 1:43 pm
Planning a wedding can be more than demanding – especially with the almost never-ending list of things to do. And yet, sometimes, wedding disasters can happen – and it is important to be prepared for them just as much as you are for a completely flawless Big Day too.
What are some of the craziest wedding disasters that have actually happened – and what to learn from them? We have some tips for you – so read on and find out more.
• The groom went missing – not because he bailed out of the
wedding, but because he forgot his phone at home. Grooms, it is
perfectly understandable if you want to take a short walk before
the big moment, but make sure you let people know where you are and
do take your phones with you – otherwise, you might generate a lot
of anxiety over your disappearance.
• Someone wears white – either unintentionally or on purpose. If this is very important to you, but don’t want to make that person change their clothes, you can simply choose to leave them out of the wedding pictures. They will understand they have made a mistake, especially considering how huge this entire event is for you.
• The rings disappeared – not because they were actually lost, but because the Ring Bearer lost them on the ceremony site. We strongly advise you not to leave your very young Ring Bearer with the rings – and even more so if he is unattended! Be sure someone’s keeping an eye on the little guy!
Still looking for a really beautiful and romantic wedding venue in Virginia? Come visit Black Horse Inn! Our venue is infused with pure elegance, timelessness and amazing history, so you will surely love it here! Contact us, come see what we offer and allow us to be part of your Big Day!
How Much Time Should Be Between Your Ceremony and Reception? 26 Sep 2016, 2:33 pm
Planning the perfect day-of schedule is absolutely crucial for the success of your wedding. And yet, it is not even by far as easy as it may appear at first – especially since there are many factors to consider and many unexpected situations to work with as well.
For example, do you know how much time should be between your ceremony and reception? If not, read on, because we have gathered some of the most important etiquette tips when it comes to this.
• There is no actual “right” answer when it comes to this question. It depends on a lot of things – and one of the fundamental ones is when and where you plan to have your ceremony. If you want to have your wedding ceremony in a house of worship, you may get stuck with a morning slot for the event. This means that you will have to redirect people back to their hotels (or towards any other attractions in the area) – but only after offering them a short luncheon!
• Furthermore, if you plan on having an evening wedding, you should not allow more than 60-90 minutes for the break between the ceremony and the reception. Ideally, you should turn this into a cocktail hour and allow guests to freshen up, energize and get in the mood for partying.
• Another option is to plan a cocktail hour and extend it into a dinner service as well. This is a less traditional approach, but it can leave more time for the dancing party too – so you might actually consider the idea.
Still looking for the perfect venue in Virginia? Come visit Black Horse Inn and take a look at this beautiful wedding venue – you will instantly fall in love with it!