The Black Horse Inn Bed & Breakfast
The history of Black Horse Inn 1 Oct 2014, 1:55 am
The beautiful Black Horse Inn has a long history behind. Originally built in the 1850s (with some of the parts of the mansion added in the 1900s), the building still preserves many of its pre-Civil War features. There’s an overwhelming feeling of timeless comfort hovering over the entire place that makes it perfect for weddings and other special events in people’s lives.
Recently restored, the nowadays’ Black Horse Inn features ten beautiful rooms, each with its own private bathroom. Jacuzzi bathtubs, canopy beds and many other great additions were made to ensure 100% comfort for our guests.
As for the name of our wedding venue, it is inspired by the Black Horse Cavalry, one of the most important local companies that fought in the Civil War. The Black Horse Cavalry won the First Battle of Manassas against the Union forces and it later on served as bodyguard for General Stonewall Jackson and for Joseph E. Johnston. Even more than that, many of the man in the Black Horse served as very important leaders of the Commonwealth following the Civil War as well.
Aside from the wonderful story behind our inn, there are many other reasons to absolutely love it:
- We pride ourselves to bring together the comfort of a marvelous country setting and the elegance of a time when the belles and beaux of Virginia gracefully danced their way into love.
- Our inn is surrounded by splendid landscapes. The beautiful boxwood gardens, the ample porches and the abundant wildlife will definitely make for the best wedding pictures ever!
- We serve our breakfast in an idyllic setting, either in the main dining room or on the beautiful porch.
- As for your event, we will be more than happy to arrange catering services to suit your taste, your wedding theme and your preferences as well.
Come and take a look at the gorgeous and full of history Black Horse Inn. We guarantee you will not regret it!
Wedding etiquette is important 22 Sep 2014, 6:18 am
Your wedding is yours alone and there’s nobody to tell you what to do and what not to do. At the same time though, weddings are formal events in one’s life and it is important to make sure that you follow the wedding etiquette – especially if you want to keep everything classy and elegant.
- Believe it or not, wedding etiquette should not limit you from being creative or from having the wedding you have always dreamed of. You can do both of these things even when you follow the etiquette! Here are some of the most important wedding etiquette things to keep in mind:
- If you are planning a destination wedding, remember to send Save the Date cards at least 6 months before the actual wedding. This way, your guests will be able to take the days off well ahead of time.
- For Save the Date cards and for wedding invitations, it is very commonly encountered that brides include a RSVP with the card proper. Some of the guests will choose to not respond at all though, so make sure you are prepared for it. If you see some of them not replying at all, you are allowed to call them! After all, your reservations will depend on this!
- Also, if you are having a destination wedding, you should know that it is not absolutely necessary that you pay for your guests’ trip. Generally, they know that they should be doing this themselves. It would be nice to arrange accommodation for them and to offer them some welcome baskets too, though! Also, bear in mind that all of them should be invited to the rehearsal dinner and that it would be a great idea to offer them a free breakfast after the wedding too!
At Black Horse Inn, we want to make sure your wedding turns out just as you have always dreamed it to be. Our superb venue will be able to accommodate all of your guests and it will definitely make for a day to remember for everyone invited!
Rustic wedding ideas and tips 15 Sep 2014, 7:50 am
Rustic weddings are increasingly popular out there – and even more so when the cold season approaches. There is something very romantic and beautiful about a wedding taking place in the middle of the nature, with stunning landscape guarding over the bridal couple and their guests.
Because we know you might need them, we have put together some of the best tips on how to plan a rustic wedding. They will help you create a décor suitable for the background surrounding your venue and they will also contribute to making this day unforgettable for everyone invited.
- “Rustic” does not necessarily have to mean shabby. Of course, rustic weddings usually go well with vintage-inspired and shabby chic décor as well, but if you want to lean more on the elegant part of things, you can do that as well. There are many creative ideas that blend the rustic theme and the elegant one in a harmonious way. For example, you can combine elegant white roses with burlap table runners and classy flatware too – and they can look marvelous together!
- Choose colors that go well with the season and with the environment. Combining white with yellow shades, orange, red or even silver and gold can go really well with fall (and the last two colors will look exceptional in the winter as well).
- Your centerpieces should go with the rustic theme as well. Don’t be afraid to be creative with this either and bring flowers, candles, twigs and even pine cones together for your centerpieces because these things really make the difference.
Visit Black Horse Inn for a wedding venue that is versatile and works well with just about any idea you may have in terms of décor. Surrounded by the stunning natural beauties of Virginia, this place is just what like those in your dreams!
How to avoid becoming a Bridezilla 8 Sep 2014, 8:16 am
There are moments in life when you just want everything to be perfect. Your wedding day is one of them. Your dress, your makeup, your flowers, the food on your tables – you want every single thing related to your wedding to be special, beautiful and flawless. And you’re not even to be blamed for it – after all, this is a very important day and you do deserve the very best.
In between choosing a dress and choosing the cake frosting and in between choosing the shoes for your flower girl and choosing the right photographer, it is very easy to break down. Don’t worry, many brides go through the “bridezilla” phase – but they all eventually get the wedding they have been dreaming of since they were little girls.
Becoming a Bridezilla is more than avoidable if you keep in mind certain basic things. Believe it or not, the following pieces of advice work – and over the course of the years, we have seen many brides apply them and leave the tension behind.
- Be organized and properly informed. It is better to start planning much ahead of time than to do it too late, so try to start out by putting everything you need on paper. Take it step-by-step and stay focused.
- If you have any kind of disputes with your in-laws, future spouse or with anyone else with regards to what your wedding should be like, try to stay calm. We know it can be difficult, but if you explain them that this is your wedding (and not theirs), they will probably understand it sooner or later.
- Don’t worry about every little thing that may not go as well as you wanted to. Chances are your guests will attend this great event to be there for you and they will not try to search for every single flaw your wedding may have. Most likely, they will not care about that one flower without a petal and they will not care that the stationery guys got the “R” wrong in your invitations.
- When you feel that things are running out of control, get one or two days off from your wedding planning and watch a good bunch of movies, read a book, go to a spa, get a massage or do something that makes you feel good.
Don’t stress out when it comes to your wedding location either. Black Horse Inn has a fantastic option for you and we will be more than happy to ensure that your wedding turns out just as magical as you imagined it to be!
Proper way to Greet Your Guests 1 Sep 2014, 6:24 am
These days, respecting the wedding etiquette is less practiced than it used to be. And even so, there are many couples who choose to remain traditional when it comes to their big day. If you are among them, you will definitely want to greet your guests the proper way – the way in which wedding etiquette dictates it:
- Traditionally, there should be a short receiving line that greets every guest. Since the mother of the bride is the hostess (at least traditionally) she will have to go first in the receiving line. The following persons in line are the mother of the groom, then the bride and the groom themselves.
- Sometimes, the father of the bride may choose to join the line too – but bear in mind that this means that the father of the groom should do it as well! However, if they don’t want to do this, they can simply mingle with the crowd and entertain the guests.
- Some couples choose to have their maid of honor, best man and bridesmaids join the line too. In this case, they would follow after the groom (maid of honor first, bridal party afterwards and then the best man).
- Keep in mind the fact that there may be situations where your common sense has to be used and where etiquette may have to be left aside for a bit. For example, if your parents (or the groom’s parents) are divorced, the line may have to include only the mothers so that there is no tension in the air there.
- The mother of the bride will have to greet the guests first and then she will be followed by the bride and groom who will thank them for coming.
- Receiving your guests the proper way can take quite some time (especially if you have a lot of guests and a lot of people in the line), so try to make sure that you entertain the people who are still waiting in line. You can have your waiters serve them drinks or snacks, for example.
At Black Horse Inn we can provide you with a venue that is simply perfect for every kind of wedding – etiquette-focused or not! Visit our website, take a look and contact us because you will not regret it in any way!
Preparing Your Flower Girl for Her Role, and Calming the Jitters 25 Aug 2014, 7:56 am
A flower girl is always a welcome addition to a wedding ceremony and has a special connection to the bride and groom. She follows behind the bridesmaids (sometimes before and sometimes after the maid of honor) with a basket of flowers, scattering them down the aisle. For some of you, the choice will be obvious. Others may have to worry about choosing between several possible candidates. There’s no reason why you can’t have two or even three flower girls – it will add to their confidence and ups the cuteness quotient. Seat her parents on the aisle, near the front so that she can see them when she walks down the aisle and during the ceremony itself. Ask a bridesmaid to be her “buddy” and make sure she uses the restroom before the ceremony. Most of all don’t be too nervous that she will make a mistake. If she dumps all her petals at the start of the aisle, runs instead of walks, or even starts to cry, guests will think it’s cute.
This little cutie is going to be a Flower Girl in an upcoming wedding for Sarah & Mitch on September 27th, 2014.
Is it tacky to have more than one reception? 18 Aug 2014, 6:11 am
Without any trace of doubt, weddings are not the easiest thing to organize. In fact, it can be downright difficult to bring together many people, to satisfy all their tastes in matters of food and style and to make sure you don’t make any kind of compromise on your own dreams and tastes either.
Organizing a wedding reception is almost a “must” when it comes to such a huge event, but there are many people who choose to organize two receptions instead of just one. Some may do this because they want to bring all the friends together at one reception and all the family members at another one. Others may choose to do this because they want a “larger” reception and then something smaller, according to their budget. Before you settle for this option though, take into consideration the following things:
- It is way more complicated to organize two receptions than to organize just one (even if one of them is smaller and more intimate). Just think of the fact that you will have to go through all the things reception-related (drinks, location, and so on) twice, not just once!
- Some people’s feelings can get seriously hurt. It is not OK to invite them to the ceremony and then close the door behind you and tell them that you’ll see them later at the “small reception”. No matter with how much grace you handle this, there will still be people who will feel at least slightly offended.
- A reception does not have to be very expensive if you cannot afford it and if this is the main reason you want to throw two separate parties. In fact, a reception’s purpose is that you “receive” your guests and thank them for being there for you on such an important moment of your life. If your reception doesn’t fall during a meal hour, it is OK to serve just refreshments and maybe some snacks.
If you haven’t found your perfect wedding venue yet, make sure to check out with Black Horse Inn. We’ve got everything you need for a wedding torn out of fairytales and both you and your guests will just love our location!
Plan your wedding at the Black Horse Inn 12 Aug 2014, 9:02 am
The Black Horse Inn is the perfect venue for your wedding. Located just outside the city of Warrenton in southern Virginia, The Black Horse Inn is a historic building situated in sprawling grounds.
Frame your wedding pictures against the backdrop of the 1850s mansion in the heart of the estate, then wander through the beautiful gardens for a post-ceremony stroll.
The Inn boasts ten luxury rooms, where your wedding party can relax and prepare for the wedding, and wind down afterwards. We can offer catering services for any weddings which take place on our grounds, and we are able to cater to all tastes and dietary requirements.
Our wedding packages are designed to make your big day as stress free and enjoyable as possible. Reserve the Inn for the entire weekend to really make the most of this special occasion. All our packages include the use of our Grand Ballroom (which can fit 200 people), personal wedding planning services, the run of our estate and the exclusive use of our excellent staff.
Our packages start from $7,500 for use of our Ballroom alone.
For an extra $3000, you can have access to nine of our luxury guest
rooms, and for $13,500 total you can book our services for the
whole weekend. Book your wedding off season to benefit from a
$1,000 discount on this all-inclusive package.
The Black Horse Inn is a favorite with brides in the Virginia state area, so reserve your space quickly before they are all booked up!
For more information on the fascinating history of the Inn, and to learn more about our special deals and wedding packages, give us a call on + 540 349 4020.
Evening or day wedding? 6 Aug 2014, 10:44 am
A wedding is an important event that takes a lot of time for both parties to plan because they have to sit down and decide when they want the wedding to take place and which venue they need to book. When it comes to choosing wedding time of day, a couple has to widely evaluate their options to make the right decision. A couple is free to have an evening or day wedding; it all depends on what they want. The time you choose to have your wedding will determine if you’ll have a day or evening wedding.
There are several important factors that a couple should consider before choosing a wedding venue to decide whether they want an evening or day ceremony.
- Considering the size of a wedding is an essential factor to consider before booking a wedding venue for your ceremony. You need to make sure that the venue is big enough to accommodate all your guests and wedding party. Having a list of the guests you are expecting can guide you to selecting a venue that fits your guest needs properly.
- Keeping in mind the weather or season your wedding is taking place is also essential. If you are getting married outdoors, make sure the weather for that day is favorable. Better yet, you should have a backup plan in case the weather changes. This is a why it is a great idea to book a venue that offers both outdoor and indoor services.
Although deciding whether you want an evening or day wedding can be at times challenging, it’s important for anyone getting married to make the right choice. Putting the above factors discussed in mind is a great way to achieve a successful wedding day. Black Horse Inn, Warrenton, VA is a great wedding venue for people planning to get married because it offers both evening and day wedding services.
How to Choose Wedding Reception Entrance Music 28 Jul 2014, 11:49 am
The weddings over and everyone is filing into the reception room here at the Black Horse Inn. As your guests sit down ready to greet the bride and groom, they surely thinking of letting their hair down and dancing a little. So why not get the party started when you first enter the room with some fun music?
You really can have a lot of fun choosing that entrance song. It doesn’t have to be immediately romantic. It sounds a little funny, but you can focus on making sure your guests have their mood (and their tiredness) lifted with a fun and happy entrance song that really signals that you are ready to have a good time.
- It’s always good to consider the song. Look for happy, upbeat numbers that you’ve found yourself humming along to on more than a few occasions. Anything that is catchy and immediately recognizable is always a good bet.
- A good rocky power ballad should do the trick too. Make sure it has some personal connection to the two of you.
Whichever song you choose, ensure you do it together. This is your big entrance, and the music has to reflect the journey both of you have been on. If you need help choosing the music for your entrance, give us a call. We’ve been hosting weddings for years here in Warrenton as a top notch wedding venue. We know what gets the party started and can help make your wedding day everything you hoped for.