Table Of Contents
Let our romantic Cottages atop the Blue Ridge Mountains with an 80-mile panorama of the blue-green mountains seduce you. In your secluded Alpine Hideaway, you make the romance. Pamper yourselves!
Alpine Hideaway is situated on the highest point in the Shenandoah Valley with views of the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains. Alpine Hideaway offers three romantic, secluded cottages that are made to accommodate two adults. The cottages have all the latest amenities including a hot tub on your secluded back deck, king size bed, two-person Jacuzzi bathroom, satellite TV, CD player, high speed internet, fireplace, full kitchen, skylights, front porch and gas BBQ grill.
Sleep late and wake to a delicious breakfast basket delivered to your cottage at 9:00 - 9:15 am. Your breakfast basket contains juice, milk, fresh fruit, homemade muffins or fresh baked pastries, yogurt and Melissa's granola. The charge for the breakfast basket is $18.00 per couple, and we request a 48-hour notice. Breakfast may not be available everyday. Visit Lexington's regional restaurants, or you may choose to prepare your own meals in our fully appointed kitchens.
Seduce each other with desserts and wine on the front deck. After the sunset, linger under the stars. Slumber peacefully in your lush king size bed. Let romance lure you to Alpine Hideaway. Take romance with you when you leave.
Alpine Hideaway is located 15 miles from Lexington and Staunton, Virginia. Many attractions are just minutes away including wineries, waterfalls, hiking, canoeing, fishing, birding, golfing, antiquing, and horseback riding. The historical towns of Charlottesville, Lexington, Staunton, and Harrisonburg are all within 15 to 60 minutes.
Alpine Hideaway is conveniently located for your Blue Ridge Mountain vacation, midway between Lexington and Staunton Virginia with a short journey to both Harrisonburg and Charlottesville. The Shenandoah Valley is a wondrous place rich in history and natural resources, the theatre, shopping and outdoor activities.
Charlottesville, Virginia: Within one hour
- University of Virginia: Within one hour
- Monticello: Seventy minutes away. Thomas Jefferson’ celebrated mountaintop home-the only home in America on the United Nations World Heritage List. Guided tours of the house are conducted daily; outdoor tours of the plantation community and the gardens and grounds are offered April-October.
- National D-Day Memorial: Remembering the Valor, Fidelity, and Sacrifice of the Allied Forces. Located in Bedford, Virginia.
- Historic towns of Lexington and Staunton, Virginia: Lexington’s and Staunton’s historic past offers visitors a step back in time. Come and enjoy the many attractions they have to offer. Both towns are located twenty minutes away.
Lexington and Rockbridge County Area:
- Natural Bridge: Thirty minutes away.
- Blue Ridge Parkway: Fifteen minutes away.
- The Frontier Culture Museum of Virginia
- Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Research & Extention Center
- Historic Wade’s Mill: Wades’ Mill is a working water-powered grist mill on the Nation Register of Historic Places. Fresh stone ground flours and more. Fifteen minutes away.
- Virginia Horse Center: Virginia’s world class horse shows facility. Weekly events year round with a 4,000 seat indoor coliseum. Twenty minutes away.
- Theater at Lime Kiln: Enjoy summer concerts and plays under the stars starting in June. Thirty minutes away.
- Rockbridge Vineyard: Award winning wines receiving national and state recognition. Tour and taste year round. Five minutes away.
- VMI Marshall Museum: George C. Marshall Museum, located in the Virginia Military Institute is open year round.
Staunton and Augusta County Area:
- P. Buckley Moss Museum: Guided tours, gift items and prints are available. Special signing events during the year. Twenty minutes away.
- Blackfriars Shakespeare Theater: The Blackfriars is the home to Shenandoah Shakespeare, an internationally acclaimed theatre company that performs Shakespeare’s works under their original staging conditions-amidst audiences under the chandelier lights of the world’s only re-creation of Shakespeare’s own indoor theatre. Thirty minutes away.
- Sunspots Studio: Featuring our own glassblowing studio in the heart of Staunton. Beautiful gallery and gift shop. Twenty minutes away.
- Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library: Explore the life and legacy of President Woodrow Wilson through his Birthplace, Museum Galleries and Research Library. Twenty minutes away.
- Frontier Culture Museum: Historic farmsteads illustrate lifestyles of cultures that settled Shenandoah Valley.
- Fine Dining: Fine and casual dining is available in Lexington and Staunton.
- Shopping: Always antiquing and great house sales on the weekends. Enjoy a day of boutique and local artists shopping in Lexington and Staunton.
- Horseback Riding: Guided horse trail rides on registered Tennessee Walking horses at Star “B” stables. Thirty minutes away.
- Golf: Lexington and Staunton Country Club, Vista Links in Buena Vista are thirty minutes away.
- Fishing: Trout, Briem, Catfish and Bass fishing in our pond. No license needed. You must stay in the Pond View Cottage.
- Bird Watching: The Pond View Cottage offers an up close look at the Blue Heron who visits and fishes from the pond. Steeles Tavern rests below the Blue Ridge Parkway with its vast environmental variety. We are on the flyway for most eastern migratory birds, from hawks to hummingbirds. So bring your binoculars, bird lists and hunt the beautiful house finch or the exotic great egret.
- Canoeing/Kayaking: Wilderness Canoe Company in Natural Bridge. Canoe and Kayak the beautiful and historic upper James River. Trips available for everyone from novice to whitewater champ.
- Cycling: Scenic routes for cyclists or motorcyclists. Harley Davidson located in Staunton.
- Hiking: Crabtree Falls, the highest cascading water fall east of the Mississippi is a favorite of our guests. The Crabtree Falls trail features a series of five major cascades and a number of smaller ones that fall a total distance of 1,200 feet. Many other hiking trails on the Blue Ridge Parkway only twenty minutes away.
- Apple Picking: Carter Mountain Orchard - Pick Your Own, or buy fresh picked in the Apple Barn. You'll find a dozen varieties including Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Winesap and Fuji.
- Historic Sites: We are located only minutes from the Historic towns of Staunton and Lexington. Only a mile from Cyrus McCormick’s Farm. Enjoy a day at Natural Bridge, Woodrow Wilson birthplace and museum, Virginia Military Institute, New Market Battlefield, Historic Appomattox, Monticello, Ash Lawn-highland or National D-Day Memorial.
- Music Festival / Concerts: Summer concert series at Theater at Lime Kiln in Lexington on Sunday. Jazz in the Park in Staunton on Thursday, both thirty minutes away. Garth Newel Music Center has a summer chamber music festival in Warm Springs, which is approximately eighty minutes away.
- Relaxing: This is what Alpine Hideaway Cottages is famous for! Relax by the mountain pond, from your secluded hot tub in the woods, in front of your fireplace or enjoying the views from your front porch.
- Theater: Shenandoah Shakespeare Blackfriars Playhouse is located in Staunton. The world’s only re-creation of Shakespeare’s indoor theatre. Evening and matinee performances and playhouse tours. In Lexington enjoy the Theater a t Lime Kiln under the stars.
- Winery / Vineyard: Taste award winning wines from Virginia wineries all located within a 5 to 90 minute drive from us. There are many Virginia Wineries to explore and we can provide you with a copy of the Virginia Wineries Tour Guide.
- STEELES TAVERN - 1 Mile North
- Osceola Mill Restaurant - (540) 377 6455, 352 Tye River Turnpike. Historic mill now a premier fine dining restaurant serving steak, veal, and seafood. Open Friday and Saturday. Reservations only.
- GREENVILLE – 8 Miles North of Steeles Tavern
- Edelweiss – (540) 337-1203, U.S. 11 & 340 North - Traditional German Cooking from the Black Forest Region. 11 am – 8 pm, closed Monday.
- Stuarts Draft – 12 Miles North of Steeles Tavern
- Scotto’s Trattoria Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria – (540)-337-5000, 2691 Stuarts Draft Hwy. Dine in or take out. Open for lunch & dinner. Homemade Italian cuisine, Mangia.
- STAUNTON - 15 Miles North of Steeles Tavern
- The Dining Room – (540) 213-0606, 29 North Augusta Street. Offering the best in beef, seafood & specials. Signature martini list. Serving dinner Tuesday – Saturday 5 – 10 pm.
- L’Italia – (540) 885-0102, Beverly St. - Authentic Italian specialties with nightly specials. 11 am – 9:30 pm, closed Sunday & Monday.
- Depot Grille – (540) 885-7332, 42 Middlebrook Ave. Great American food in a restored train station. Daily specials. 11 am – 10 pm, open every day.
- Mill Street Grill –(540) 886-0656, 1 Mill St. The best barbequed ribs! This all American restaurant is located in a restored flourmill. 4 pm – 10 pm on weekdays, 10 pm on Saturday & Sunday.
- LEXINGTON – 15 Miles South of Steeles Tavern
- Sheridan Livery - (540) 464-1887, 35 N. Main St. - American favorites where fresh fish entrees are a specialty. Offering daily specials. 11 am – 8:30 pm every day.
- The Palms - (540) 463-7911, 101 W. Nelson St. - Good fun food! Hearty soups, sandwiches, gourmet hamburgers, & dinner entrees. Very informal. 11:30 am – 1 am every day.
- Southern Inn - (540) 463-3612, 37 So. Main St. >Lexington’s oldest restaurant featuring home-cooked specials everyday. 11:30 am – 10 pm every day.
- Michel Café – (540) 464-4119, 640 No. Lee Hwy. – Located north of town. French chef / owner, Michel Galand offers a unique American and French classical menu. Closed Sunday.
- Bistro On Main – 540-464-4888, 8 North Main Street. Located in the center of town offering wonderful food and a very interesting menu.
How to Find Us
Alpine Hideaway offers secluded, romantic cabins located atop the Blue Ridge Mountains of the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. We are conveniently located midway between Lexington and Staunton Virginia with a short journey to both Harrisonburg and Charlottesville. Our address is 8400 North Lee Hwy, Steeles Tavern, VA 24476.