Table Of Contents
We offer a very spacious vacation rental house which sleeps up to 7 people.
For a family vacation, girlfriend getaway, or for couples traveling together, book "The Craftsman" which gives you a spacious house including both a front and back porch and a patio as well as the entire house. Also note this is a pet friendly accomodation.
We specialize in small intimate wedding ceremonies, renewal of vows ceremonies, and elopements. Several Wedding Packages are available.
Outdoor ceremonies are very popular and can be held in any of our gardens.
Wedding Packages -- outdoor & indoor venues:
Wedding/Elopement/Renewal of Vows Packages -- We offer many different packages to choose from for your wedding or for a renewal of vows ceremony. You may choose to have an outdoor wedding in any of our beautiful garden spaces. Indoors you may decide on the living room for your wedding ceremony and your reception will be set up in the dining room
Features of "The Craftsman":
- Ideal accommodation for girlfriend getaway or family vacation
- Use of the entire house, including a fully-equipped kitchen
- Pretty glassed-in back porch
- Front porch with table at one end and seating at other end
- Outdoor patio area
- Three spacious bedrooms, each with a queen bed
- Internet and cable TV
- Centrally air-conditioned
- Fireplace in the living room
- Children 12 and over welcome (ideal accommodation for up to 6)
- Smoke-free environment
- Off-street parking for up to 4 cars
- Large yard (partly fenced in the back where your pet can exercise)
The trolley is 25 cents and goes around Downtown Staunton and over to the park. Area attractions include:
- Shenandoah Shakespeare Blackfriars Playhouse is within walking distance -- Enjoy productions or take a tour that tells the story of England's first indoor theater
- Woodrow Wilson birthplace and museum is open daily and within walking distance
- Free walking tours every Saturday morning May to October and Tuesdays and Thursdays June to October
- During summer, there are free outdoor concerts several nights a week at Gypsy Hill Park bandstand
- Numerous art galleries all within walking distance
- At the Wharf in downtown Staunton, enjoy the outdoor restaurants, Farmers' Market on Saturday mornings until Thanksgiving, and additional galleries and antique shops
- Mary Baldwin College is three blocks down the street, and Stuart Hall is opposite the B&B
- Shakin' at the Wharf offers family entertainment for $1.00, which benefits local charities. Children 12 and under free
- Staunton Music Festival - Concerts are performed at various locations throughout downtown Staunton
- Shenandoah Valley Music Festival - Orkney Springs, north of Staunton about l hour, 15 minutes
- Annual Victorian Festival with a carousel, magic street acts, horse-drawn carriages, and theater takes place every spring
- Annual African-American Heritage Festival takes place in the fall in Gypsy Hill Park.
- At internationally known Andre Viette's Farm and Nursery, you can stroll through the extensive perennial gardens
- Frontier Culture Museum - Visit homes and farms and experience life as it was in the 1700's in Germany, Ireland, and England
- Within thirty minutes driving time, you can travel to the P. Buckley Moss Museum, Afton Mountain and Rockbridge Wineries, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive, and Natural Bridge
- The Statler Brothers Museum is in Staunton and is a worthwhile stop
- James Madison University, Washington & Lee, Virginia Military Institute, Bridgewater College, EMU, and the University of Virginia, Charlottesville are all within an hour's drive
- Travel along the Route 11 corridor between Staunton and Harrisonburg with many antique shops
We take all the stress out of your wedding because we make all the arrangements, and we LOVE to help plan weddings. We'll want to know your favorite colors and any preferences you have. We'll try to make your wedding day just perfect for you. All you need to do is to obtain your marriage license from any Clerk of Court Office in Virginia. Both of you need to be present in order to obtain your marriage license, and it is good for 60 days. There is no waiting period. You can even come here to Staunton and get your marriage license the same day you get married. You may want to stay for your honeymoon. Stay for a week and the last 2 nights are FREE!
Why do so many couples decide to elope? These days, elopement weddings can be quite elegant -- even elaborate. Or you may choose to have a warm and casual wedding. You can design your wedding to be just the way you want it to be. More and more couples are deciding to elope because:
- They want the style of wedding that suits them as an individual couple
- They may not want to offend one side of the family that may live a long distance away
- They find it is much less stressful!
- They want to have control over the situation
- They want to save time. With elopement packages, a beautiful classic wedding can be arranged in a few days
- They want to eliminate the possibility of getting nervous or emotional in front of a large group of people
- They want to save money for other priorities such as a home, education, or travel. Or they may just want to spend the money they save on their wedding to have a nice long honeymoon
If you, or someone you care about is stressing out over plans for a big wedding, you might want to look into the alternative for an elegant or casual elopement
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Carolyn Avalos for sharing her own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Many of our guests come because of the Shakespeare Theater for a weekend or week day getaway. Many come to celebrate an anniversary or other special occasion.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
We are best known for our breakfasts!
We are right downtown and we have off-street parking and beautiful gardens!
What I like most about our inn -- so many things! I love our gardens, especially the water garden which is in the courtyard. I also love the "lower garden" with the covered swing and the arch which leads to the "secret garden." But probably "The Carriage House" is what I like most of all. It is a wonderful historic building!
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
The Shakespeare Theater and over a dozen great restaurants, nine art galleries, a free trolley, free concerts – just to name a few great things.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
The best compliment is that people love the feeling about the inn, in the rooms, at the breakfast table, etc.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
How many wonderful things there are to do in Downtown Staunton is the best kept secret.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
They can walk downtown to the two movie theaters, the Shakespeare theater, the 9 art galleries and several antique shops and over a dozen restaurants. At the edge of town they can visit The Frontier Culture Museum (you learn about your ancestors by walking through farmsteads from the 1600's, 1700's, and 1800's which have been brought over from other countries and re-constructed here in Staunton!). You can visit a lot of wineries. You can go up on the Parkway for a beautiful scenic drive to see waterfalls and amazing views of the Valley. You can visit caves. You can go 30 minutes in any direction for various universities, the VA horse center, the maple festival, and other events. Since we are in the very center of the Shenandoah Valley, a guest can stay here and explore the Valley from here.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
There are a dozen restaurants, coffee shops, the free trolley, two movie theaters, live theater, 9 art galleries, a tasting room, live glass blowing, the Amtrack train station, and so much more!
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference?
Here is an excellent webpage with photos, phone numbers, some websites, and other information: http://www.stauntonbedandbreakfast.com/ThingsToDoInStauntonArea.htm
How many rooms does your inn have?
We have 3 rooms in the main inn (one can be used as a suite with a 4th bedroom), the historic two-story Carriage House, and several vacation rental houses.
Do you accept pets?
We accept pets in The Carriage House and in one of our vacation rental houses, "The Craftsman-Style House."
How To Find Us
From the north:
- Take Exit 225 off I-81 (Woodrow Wilson Parkway)
- Follow signs to the Woodrow Wilson birthplace and to Historic Downtown Staunton and Mary Baldwin College
- Turn right onto Frederick Street
From the south:
- Take Exit 222 off I-81 (State Route 250 West)
- Follow signs to the Woodrow Wilson birthplace and to Historic Downtown Staunton, and Mary Baldwin College, which will put you onto Coalter Street
- At the intersection of Coalter Street and Frederick Street turn left onto Frederick Street.
We are in the sixth block, on the left side of the street: red brick house, black shutters, boxwoods.