The Staunton Choral Gardens Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
Walk to everything downtown from our turn-of-the-century inn. Enjoy our beautiful gardens including the water garden in the courtyard behind the main inn. In the lower garden, swing in the rain if you want to because we have a covered swing. There is also the "secret garden" which you enter from the lower garden. Our breakfasts include several courses and we cater to special requests from our guests. We have queen and king beds, central air conditioning, and cable TV and wireless Internet. Small weddings are also held in our lower gardens from time to time. Since you can walk to everything downtown, just take advantage of our off-street parking and relax and enjoy all that Downtown Staunton has to offer.
The Staunton Choral Gardens Bed & Breakfast offers elegant and peaceful accommodations in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, and our gardens offer the perfect setting for a small wedding, elopement, or renewal or vows. The B&B is located in downtown Staunton. Walk to everything or take the free trolley. We are known for our new addition of spacious suites which we book at the rate of a room! Enjoy!
The Staunton Choral Gardens Bed & Breakfast offers three guest rooms and three spacious suites each with a private bath. Two of our suites have kitchens. Upstairs in the Main Inn, there is an additional room with a refrigerator and microwave for our guests' use. We always have snacks and beverages available for our guests in this room. A separate historic Carriage House featuring a newly-renovated interior is also available. The Carriage House is an 800-square foot separate building consisting of two floors with many special features. Legend tells us that General Robert E. Lee boarded his horse in this carriage house, most likely when his daughters were attending Stuart Hall, a private school across the street.
Features of The Staunton Choral Gardens B&B:
- Wedding/Elopement/Renewal of Vows -- We offer 6 different packages to suit any price range
- Fress unlimited high-speed wireless Internet access throughout the entire B&B
- Guest microwaves and refrigerators
- Centrally air-conditioned rooms
- New luxurious down featherbeds or memory foam
- Sumptuous, gourmet breakfasts and snacks available all the time
- Fireplaces in some rooms
- Children 12 and over welcome
- Large separate kennel area for Carriage House
- Smoke-free environment
- Off-street parking
- Huge water garden, shade garden & annual garden
Breakfast at The Staunton Choral Gardens Bed & Breakfast is a special event. Please let us know if you have any special requests.
We want this to be your best B&B experience ever including abundance, pampering, comfort, and special requests. Little extravagances include a basket of bathroom extras, candies, and fresh flowers.
The gardens include a large, formal water garden with an abundance of plants and fish.
Seating in the courtyard includes a table for 4 as well as a settee and 2 chairs. There is a shade garden, several full-sun gardens, and a very special covered-swing where you can enjoy the gardens even on a rainy day. As you relax in the gardens, the choral bells from some of the downtown Staunton churches serenade you.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Carolyn Avalos for sharing her own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Many of our guests come because of the Shakespeare Theater for a weekend or week day getaway. Many come to celebrate an anniversary or other special occasion.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
We are best known for our breakfasts!
We are right downtown and we have off-street parking and beautiful gardens!
What I like most about our inn -- so many things! I love our gardens, especially the water garden which is in the courtyard. I also love the "lower garden" with the covered swing and the arch which leads to the "secret garden." But probably "The Carriage House" is what I like most of all. It is a wonderful historic building!
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
The Shakespeare Theater and over a dozen great restaurants, nine art galleries, a free trolley, free concerts – just to name a few great things.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
The best compliment is that people love the feeling about the inn, in the rooms, at the breakfast table, etc.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
How many wonderful things there are to do in Downtown Staunton is the best kept secret.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
They can walk downtown to the two movie theaters, the Shakespeare theater, the 9 art galleries and several antique shops and over a dozen restaurants. At the edge of town they can visit The Frontier Culture Museum (you learn about your ancestors by walking through farmsteads from the 1600's, 1700's, and 1800's which have been brought over from other countries and re-constructed here in Staunton!). You can visit a lot of wineries. You can go up on the Parkway for a beautiful scenic drive to see waterfalls and amazing views of the Valley. You can visit caves. You can go 30 minutes in any direction for various universities, the VA horse center, the maple festival, and other events. Since we are in the very center of the Shenandoah Valley, a guest can stay here and explore the Valley from here.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
There are a dozen restaurants, coffee shops, the free trolley, two movie theaters, live theater, 9 art galleries, a tasting room, live glass blowing, the Amtrack train station, and so much more!
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference?
Here is an excellent webpage with photos, phone numbers, some websites, and other information: http://www.stauntonbedandbreakfast.com/ThingsToDoInStauntonArea.htm
How many rooms does your inn have?
We have 3 rooms in the main inn (one can be used as a suite with a 4th bedroom), the historic two-story Carriage House, and several vacation rental houses.
Do you accept pets?
We accept pets in The Carriage House and in one of our vacation rental houses, "The Craftsman-Style House."
The trolley is always free and ready to stop at The Staunton Choral Gardens B&B. Area attractions include:
- Shenandoah Shakespeare Blackfriars Playhouse is within walking distance -- Enjoy productions or take a tour that tells the story of England's first indoor theater
- Woodrow Wilson birthplace and museum is open daily and within walking distance
- Free walking tours every Saturday morning May to October and Tuesdays and Thursdays June to October
- During summer, there are free outdoor concerts several nights a week at Gypsy Hill Park bandstand
- Numerous art galleries all within walking distance
- At the Wharf in downtown Staunton, enjoy the outdoor restaurants, Farmers' Market on Saturday mornings until Thanksgiving, and additional galleries and antique shops
- Mary Baldwin College is three blocks down the street, and Stuart Hall is opposite the B&B
- Shakin' at the Wharf offers family entertainment for $1.00, which benefits local charities. Children 12 and under free
- Staunton Music Festival - Concerts are performed at various locations throughout downtown Staunton
- Shenandoah Valley Music Festival - Orkney Springs, north of Staunton about l hour, 15 minutes
- Annual Victorian Festival with a carousel, magic street acts, horse-drawn carriages, and theater takes place every spring
- Annual African-American Heritage Festival takes place in the fall in Gypsy Hill Park.
- At internationally known Andre Viette's Farm and Nursery, you can stroll through the extensive perennial gardens
- Frontier Culture Museum - Visit homes and farms and experience life as it was in the 1700's in Germany, Ireland, and England
- Within thirty minutes driving time, you can travel to the P. Buckley Moss Museum, Afton Mountain and Rockbridge Wineries, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive, and Natural Bridge
- The Statler Brothers Museum is in Staunton and is a worthwhile stop
- James Madison University, Washington & Lee, Virginia Military Institute, Bridgewater College, EMU, and the University of Virginia, Charlottesville are all within an hour's drive
- Travel along the Route 11 corridor between Staunton and Harrisonburg with many antique shops
We always offer a choice of tea or coffee (decaf or regular) and we have a wide variety of teas and herbal beverages.
The first course is usually a fruit dish -- it could be baked pears with cranberries and almonds served with yogurt, or perhaps a fruit parfait topped with a crunchy topping, or maybe a mixed fresh fruit compote or warm peaches with a warm sauce served over yogurt.
The main entree consists of a meat plus an egg dish, waffles, pancakes, or stuffed French toast (our speciality). We also offer various other breakfast entrees.
A Sample Menu:
- Baked Pears with Cranberries and Almonds in a Cinnamon/Nutmeg Sauce
- Sun-dried tomato omelet w/marinated red peppers & cheddar cheese
- Toasted oat bread with butter & preserves
- Turkey bacon or sausage
- Herbal: fruit & almond, lemon, Cinnamon spice, French vanilla, Verba Mate Royale
- Non-Herbal: green, jasmine, Darjeeling
- Caffeine-free: French roast, Jamaican royal nut, hazelnut, chocolate almond
- Caffeinated: French roast, hazelnut
We take all the stress out of your wedding because we make all the arrangements, and we LOVE to help plan weddings. We'll want to know your favorite colors and any preferences you have. We'll try to make your wedding day just perfect for you. All you need to do is to obtain your marriage license from any Clerk of Court Office in Virginia. Both of you need to be present in order to obtain your marriage license, and it is good for 60 days. There is no waiting period. You can even come here to Staunton and get your marriage license the same day you get married. If you decide to stay for a few nights following your wedding ceremony, you shall receive a very special nightly rate as our wedding gift to you! Stay 4 nights and the 4th night is FREE; Stay for a week and the last 2 nights are FREE!
Why do so many couples decide to elope? These days, elopement weddings can be quite elegant -- even elaborate. Or you may choose to have a warm and casual wedding. You can design your wedding to be just the way you want it to be. More and more couples are deciding to elope because:
- They want the style of wedding that suits them as an individual couple
- They may not want to offend one side of the family that may live a long distance away
- They find it is much less stressful!
- They want to have control over the situation
- They want to save time. With elopement packages, a beautiful classic wedding can be arranged in a few days
- They want to eliminate the possibility of getting nervous or emotional in front of a large group of people
- They want to save money for other priorities such as a home, education, or travel. Or they may just want to spend the money they save on their wedding to have a nice long honeymoon
If you, or someone you care about is stressing out over plans for a big wedding, you might want to look into the alternative for an elegant or casual elopement
How To Find Us
From the north:
- Take Exit 225 off I-81 (Woodrow Wilson Parkway)
- Follow signs to the Woodrow Wilson birthplace and to Historic Downtown Staunton and Mary Baldwin College
- Turn right onto Frederick Street
From the south:
- Take Exit 222 off I-81 (State Route 250 West)
- Follow signs to the Woodrow Wilson birthplace and to Historic Downtown Staunton, and Mary Baldwin College, which will put you onto Coalter Street
- At the intersection of Coalter Street and Frederick Street turn left onto Frederick Street.
We are in the sixth block, on the left side of the street: red brick house, black shutters, boxwoods.