1852 Jacob Swartz House Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
The ultimate in privacy is yours at 1852 Jacob Swartz House Bed & Breakfast in New Market, Virginia, a secluded Shenandoah River cottage where nature and history combine forces to create a perfect setting for a delightful journey. Be active; be quiet. Here your time is your own and a lavish breakfast is ready when you are. Soothe your soul in the restful luxury of a spacious detached cottage. Toast the sunset on your own stone-walled terrace; dip your toes in the singing river, dream by the fire, count fireflies from the screened porch, wish upon a star as you drift to sleep. Remember how good you feel and promise yourself to return again and again.
Whether celebrating a special occasion or searching for that perfect trek away from the city, the intimate charm of this historic 1852 B&B makes a rewarding base for enjoying the many pleasures of the Shenandoah Valley, an area rich in Virginia history and natural beauty. Hike the trails of the Shenandoah National Park, delight in the scenery along Skyline Drive or golf at the base of the Massanutten Range of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Antique shops, flea markets, Civil War museums and monuments are only moments away. Fish, canoe, explore caverns, or bike along country roads that have never heard the roar of heavy traffic. Maintain a vigorous schedule or just sit back, relax and enjoy the river view and cool mountain breezes.
Breakfast is served daily with such delights as baked Virginia apples, eggs Bendict, stuffed French toast, pecan pancakes and a variety of omlets. Guests have the opton of being served in the main house, the cottage or weather permitting on the river-bluff terrace. If you have never been here before, come now. If you are already an old "valley veteran", come back.
- Intimate living room with woodburning stove
- Dining area and fully equipped kitchen
- Master bedroom and bath with private screened porch overlooking Shenandoah River
- Second loft bedroom with queen bed and private bath on lower level
- River view sunroom with TV/VCR/DVD
- Selection of classic movies, books, games, & puzzles
- CD, radio, player
- River-bluff stone terrace & fire pit (grill & coals provided)
- Central heat and window A/C
Activities & Attractions
The Shenandoah River's North Fork (just steps away) is a magnetic source of pleasure for fishing, canoeing and tubing.
Antique and gift shops, flea markets, Civil War museums and monuments are only moments away. Tackle a 27-hole PGA golf course or stroll New Market's historicCongress Street where cannonballs fell and Stonewall Jackson marched.
Hike the trails of the Shenandoah National Park and George Washington National Forest, savor the scenery along Skyline Drive, golf, ski, horseback ride, explore caverns, tour wineries, schedule a scenic airplane/hot air balloon flight or bike along country roads that have never heard the roar of heavy traffic.
Embrace it all with an extended stay at this unique
out of the way retreat where you are the only guests.
20 minutes or less to:
- Endless Caverns
- Shenandoah Caverns
- Luray Caverns
- Shenandoah Vineyards
- Shenvalee Golf Resort
- George Washingtron National Forest
- James Madison University
30 - 50 minutes to:
- Belle Grove Plantation
- Blackfriars Playhouse
- Shenandoah National Park
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- Skyline Caverns
- Museum of American Frontier Culture
- Strasburg Antique Emporium
- Woodrow Wilson Museum/Birthplace
- Museum of the Shenandoah Valley
1 -2 hours to:
- Antietam Civil War Battlefield
- Gettysburg National Battlefield
- Harpers Ferry
- Lexington Visitor Center
- Manassas National Battlefield
- Natural Bridge
Please visit our website for more information.
Children are accepted at the Jacob Swartz House Bed & Breakfast. $15 for each additional child ages 4-12 (infants & toddlers are free)
From I-81 (New Market Exit #264)
- Take US 211 West 0.6 mile right onto #953 Plains Mill Road
- First right #617 River Road -- there is an immediate fork, stay to your right
- 1.4 miles right onto #736 Jiggady Road 0.6 mile to the right turn JACOB SWARTZ HOUSE entrance sign (second driveway after passing Battlefield Bluff Drive)
- On entering the lane you'll initially pass the 582 Jiggady Road property
Drive slowly - their grandchildren & three
dogs are sometimes in the lane
- Continue to the very end of the narrow one car width access lane
- You'll pass a pasture, a corn field and eventually reach the stone entrance of the B&B property
- In case I miss your arrival, Sarah, a large but gentle 5 year old Alaskan Malamute may be out to greet you like good Southern hostess should
- Park to the left of the garage and follow the gravel path up to the main house and cottage
- Have a safe trip