Speed the Plough Bed and Breakfast
Table Of Contents
Speed the Plough Bed and Breakfast is located on a gorgeous three hundred acre property, in Monroe, Virginia, at the foot of Tobacco Row Mountain. We have beautiful views in every direction, with peaceful sounds of nature, lots of birds, huge old trees and huge Boxwoods. We are close to four colleges, all 15 to 30 minutes from our door. There is so much to do including: Wineries, Golfing, Festivals, including the famous Garlic Festival and much more.
Massage services available, by appointment.
- Lake and Two Ponds
- Hiking Trails
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Lorri and Rowland Girling for sharing their own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
College related stays, such as Parent Weekend.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
The country setting and beautiful views.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
A comfortable stay, in peaceful surroundings.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
It is beautiful.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
It isn't far from the city of Lynchburg, only minutes away from Natural Bridge yet it lends a feeling of being far from everything.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
Explore the local historical sites, hike up the mountain, shop for antiques, birdwatching, or have an event or party, like a small wedding. Photographers and artists alike love the beauty.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
Hiking, biking, boating, fishing, honeymooning.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
The Travelers, The Briar Patch, the Depot Grill, Robin Alexander, The Main Street Eatery, Market on Main, Shoemakers, Water stone.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference?
The Blue Ridge Parkway and Amherst County Visitors' website
How many rooms does your inn have?
Do you accept pets?
We never had a request for pets. If we did, there are several kennels that take cats and dogs.
In Amherst County, near
- Sweet Briar College
- Appalachian Trail
- Natural Bridge
- The Blue Ridge Parkway
- Historic Sites in Appomattox, Bedford, Lexington, and
- Lynchburg, VA
- On business Rt 29, after crossing the James River
- EITHER take River Road Rt 685 for about 6 miles
- Turn left onto Rt 130 west
- OR continue on Business Rt 29 through Madison Heights, about 5 miles
- Turn left on Rt 130 west (drive about 7 miles to Elon)
- From Elon, drive about a mile and turn right on Ambrose Rucker Rd. (Rt 653)
- Take your first right onto Fairlea Lane, our driveway, which is about .7 miles
- Take business Rt 29 south, and turn right on Rt 671 (North Five Forks Rd), to Rt. 636 (High Peak Rd)
- Turn left on Ambrose Rucker Rd. (Rt 653)
- After about 3 miles turn left on Fairlea Lane
From Rt 29 Bypass
- Take Rt 130 Exit either from the north or south
- Follow Rt 130 to Elon, then follow the above directions