Old Massanutten Lodge Bed and Breakfast
Table Of Contents
Be pampered and make memories at our Old Massanutten Lodge Bed and Breakfast in Keezletown, Virginia. We're located on six acres at the end of a quiet country road in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley at the western base of Massanutten Peak; the perfect spot for loads of privacy.
Enjoy the beauty of nature, wander our gardens, or go horseback riding at a stable right next door.Originally built and operated for over 50 years as a day resort, our 1920s-era stone and stucco lodge has been carefully restored yet fully modernized. Featured on cable TV's HGTV series "Building Character," the Lodge was converted from a commercial building to a private residence and is now a comfortable and quiet place for our guests.
The Lodge's gardens and grassy areas offer a prime location for our guests and others to enjoy lawn games at weddings, parties, concerts, family functions and other small or large get-togethers.
In its heyday the Lodge hosted caverns tours, swimming, dancing, parties, and provided memories for many people both local and from afar. We still hear from people who tell us stories of the "good old days in Rockingham County."
Several visitors have told us that this was the landing spot for the first plane to land in the county. Although there is no longer a pool and the caverns are closed, they still are fond memories our visitors have shared with us. Easily accessible from Interstate 81 and Route 33, we're close to great restaurants and specialty shopping at antique stores, Mennonite Farmers Markets, and more.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Guy & Margie Vlasits for sharing their own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Most guests are looking for a break from busy lives with plenty of rest, relaxation, and recreation.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
We are known for our wonderful country setting backed up to Massanutten Peak at the end of a road. Quiet, restful, peaceful combined with the warm feeling of home, topped off with flexibility for breakfast time to allow for catching up on much needed sleep. We are known for provided individualized service and care to each guest including special needs diets. I love the country setting and because we have just three rooms we have time for individual attention and conversation with each guest.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
We have an area of rich natural resources and cultural diversity. There are activities for almost everyone.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
"WOW! We weren't quite expecting all this. A beautiful room with jet tub, wonderful breakfast, wineries nearby, great restaurants nearly, and the lodge is on such beautiful property. This is not to mention the graciousness and hospitality of our host and hostess. We have had a wonderful weekend!! We look forward to passing on the news of our discovery of this place. A little Shangri-La! We will visit again as soon as possible." Trey and Tonya
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
The Wild Guyde Adventures: Guided caving, hiking, rock climbing, and rappelling based on your level of experience. They take you to some of the most beautiful out of the way places in our area!
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
- Spend at least one day outside whether hiking Skyline Drive or rock climbing or just wandering around our grounds and Keezletown.
- Visit at least one cave and take a drive around our scenic back roads.
- Go Antiquing.
- Explore historic sites.
- Partake of the vast cultural events: whether concerts at James Madison University, a Shakespeare play at the only recreation of the Globe Theater in London: The Blackfriar Theater just a half hour from us.
- Curl up with a good book and a cup of your favorite beverage on our vast front porch.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
The beauty of nature is the only thing within walking distance.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
So hard to pick a favorite because we have such ethnic diversity! I guess I'd have to pick Taste of Thai since that is where I seem to go back to most often! But the selection of great food is vast!
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference?
HarrisonburgTourism.com is where I send most folks for most up-to-date listing of current stuff going on in the area.
How many rooms does your inn have?
We have three wonderful rooms with unique decor and comfort in each.
Do you accept pets?
We do not accept pets but can suggest local alternatives within a relatively short distance.
About Our Accommodations
Available in All Rooms
- Queen size beds with dual controlled air mattresses
- Individually controlled heat and air
- Full Breakfast and afternoon refreshments included
- Hot and cold beverages any time
- Satellite TV and CD players with CDs
- Fine linens
- Private baths
- Antique furniture to enjoy
- Warm fluffy Towels and Robes
- Complimentary hot and cold beverages 24 hours a day
- Fresh baked goodies when you arrive
- Fluffy robes, blow dryers
- Iron and ironing boards
- Two rooms feature whirlpool baths and either a gas-fired stove or fireplace
- All rooms have private baths
- Plus, if you forgot something, just ask and we'll do our best to supply your need
Common areas include the Great Room with a nine-foot stone fireplace and The Coffee Shop, with snacks and hot and cold drinks available anytime.
The Great Room has been the main attraction at the lodge for many decades, hosting dances, parties, weddings, family reunions, and more. When the room is not in use for a party, you can enjoy the room for some great conversation, a quiet game of chess, or even a turn on the piano.
Our delicious gourmet breakfasts are healthy, nutritious and prepared with the best ingredients including many homegrown vegetables and herbs in season. The presentation is the "icing on the cake" and completes the special ambiance that will make you want to stay longer.
"We had a magical amazing weekend. You made us feel at home and so very pampered. We hope to make this a yearly event!" Charlea and Chuck
"Thanks for all you've done to make this a perfect weekend and a memorable event in our family's history. The beauty of this place was made complete by your warmth and gracious hospitality!" Dale and Florence
"Wow! We weren't quite expecting all this. A beautiful room with jet tub, wonderful breakfast, horse rides next door, wineries nearby, great restaurants nearly, and the lodge is on such beautiful property. This is not to mention the graciousness and hospitality of our host and hostess. We have had a wonderful weekend! We look forward to passing on the news of our discovery of this place. A little Shangri-la. We will visit again as soon as possible." Trey and Tonya
"Thank you for everything! You were wonderful hosts and the room was beautiful! Breakfast was great, too. This was a great place to spend our honeymoon night. We'll definitely be back and hopefully for longer." Dana and Dennis
"This is the most peaceful getaway of my life. I felt like I was coming into my own home. The warmth and love here are priceless. Thanks for sharing that with us during our stay. I would recommend staying here to anyone!" Kristen and DeNorris
"Thank you for the hospitality and wonderfully comfortable room. I had the best night's sleep in years." Joan and Clay
"What a beautiful place. This was a well needed restful weekend away from the children. We could not have picked a better weekend watching the snow fall. We will have to plan a time to come back soon. Thank you so much for the extra touches you have added to our stay!" Ann and Shannon
"The Lodge strikes the perfect balance between the coziness of home and the luxury of being away. We felt so welcome and comfortable as soon as we arrived. The scenery is lovely, the hiking invigorating and a variety of activities less than 5 miles away. We owe you big time for truly making this an unforgettable getaway experience." Brandy and Kevin.
"As a frequent business traveler it was so nice to stay "with family" Thanks so much for the wonderful breakfasts and conversations." Paul
We have a lot to offer!
- Shenandoah valley vacations
- Romantic honeymoons
- Picturesque weddings
- Family reunions
- Weekend Getaways
Nestled on the west side of Massanutten Peak just a stone's throw from the Famous Blue Ridge Mountains, our B&B is the perfect place to base your visit to the Shenandoah Valley. Enjoy all of these great nearby activities! Check the following links for up-to-date local activities, restaurants, and so much more to do, eat, go.
ou'll be in a prime spot for access to the many historic locations and beautiful sights of the famous Shenandoah Valley. Visit the beautiful Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park, as well as many historic sites from the Civil War. Close proximity to James Madison University, Eastern Mennonite University, and Bridgewater College make us a great option for parents and other visitors.
Within walking distance. Horseback Riding at Keezlenutten Farm is the perfect way to enjoy an afternoon
Beautiful weather and and great greens!
- Shenvalee Golf Course (27 Hole PGA Golf Course)
- Packsaddle Ridge Golf Club
Do you love to ski? The nearby slopes are wonderfully kept favorites!
Area Antique shops are full of wonderful treasures!
Historic Day Trips
American History lives at these great historic sites!
- Historic Battle Fields
- Jefferson Monticello
- Woodrow Wilson Birthplace
- Natural Bridge (one of the great wonders!)
- Hall of Valor Civil War Museum
- Skyline Drive
- Museum of American Frontier Culture
- Hiking and Driving in the Blue Ridge Mountains!
When visiting our local schools, a stay at our B&B will make your trip a lifetime memory!
- James Madison University
- Eastern Mennonite University
- Bridgewater College
- University of Virginia, in Charlottesville
Tour the wonders of these great caverns!
- Luray Caverns
- Shenandoah Caverns
- Grand Caverns
- Skyline Caverns
- Caverns at Natural Bridge
Theaters & Entertainment
The area is rich in Entertainment
- Court Square Theater: Offers Plays, Improvs, Music & More!
- Wintergreen Performing Arts: Celebrating the Drama of Music
- Shenan Arts Theatre: Always Great Entertainment
The area offers a treasure trove of restaurants to fit every taste (and every budget). Ask for our list of favorites.
- Shenandoah Valley offers so much to see!
- Dayton Farmers Market
- Shenandoah Farmers Market
- Eavers Classic Cars & Collectibles Museum (From 50's Corvettes to Elvis Presley's Last Cadillac)
- River tubing
- Kayaking Outfitters
- Vineyard tours
- Motor coach tours
- Virginia Quilt Museum
- Shenandoah Vineyards
- Rock Climbing
More outdoor adventures within “spittin’ range” of Harrisonburg, Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley!
How to Find Us
Coming from the West
- Come off I81
- Exit 247 onto Rt. 33 going east about 3 ½ miles
- Turn left onto Indian Trail Road (Rt 620) by the Massanutten Presbyterian Church in Penn Laird
Coming from the east on RT 33
- After you pass Elkton going west about 7 or 8 miles or so
- Just after Penn Laird is a crossroad with signs for Keezletown
- Make a right onto Indian Trail Road (still Rt 620) by the Massanutten Presbyterian Church in Penn Laird
Then follow the remaining directions below
- Go into Keezletown
- Turn right onto Mountain Valley Road (still Rt 620) in front of the school on the hill just over the railroad tracks
- About 1/4 mile past the school turn right onto Caverns Drive
- Go to the end of the road, which becomes our driveway
Feel free to call us if you any questions finding your way here!