The Hummingbird Inn
Table Of Contents
Enjoy a romantic setting and warm country hospitality in our unique Lexington, VA area bed and breakfast, a pet friendly Victorian Carpenter Gothic Inn situated in the small village of Goshen. Centrally located just west of scenic Goshen Pass on the western edge of the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, the town of Goshen sits in a small triangle defined by Lexington, Staunton, and Warm Springs / Hot Springs.
Guests enjoy our casual, comfy, informal bed and breakfast for its relaxed country atmosphere. Nestled in a little railroad town, (Train lovers can be guaranteed a train will pass in front of the inn sometime during their stay.) The Hummingbird Inn is close to Lexington, VA and the many things to do in Rockbridge and Bath counties. We invite you to relax at our B&B, to celebrate a special occasion - a honeymoon, anniversary, or romantic weekend - or simply to amble about the spectacular countryside of western Virginia's Shenandoah Valley and Alleghany mountains.
The five-guest-room Hummingbird Inn is perfect for family gatherings and reunions of friends - with lots of space to spread out and enjoy visiting with one another. We welcome small weddings, elopements, and renewal of vows - call us to discuss your ideas. We will help you plan hikes and we can provide you with maps and directions for your excursions.
First built in 1780 and expanded in 1853 to its current size, our historic bed and breakfast even hosted Eleanor Roosevelt in 1935. Architectural features include wraparound verandas on the first and second stories, original pine floors throughout the house, a rustic den with a working stone fireplace, a comfortable living room, a spacious dining room, and a solarium. A deck, next to our old barn, which was once the town livery stable, overlooks Mill creek, a wide trout stream.
Whether you're looking for peace and quiet, cozy and comfortable surroundings that feels like home, we welcome you to our Inn. Come for a getaway, kick back in front of our fireplace, stroll around our acre of gardens, take your motorcycle on Scenic Byway 39, go for a hike, ride your bicycle on back roads, visit the local vineyards, fish in the Maury River, see why our guests return time and again.
Breakfast and The Hummingbird Inn
A full, hot breakfast is served at 9:00. Breakfast includes fresh fruits in season, an entree such as honey-cinnamon french toast, fresh berry waffles, or breakfast casseroles, and homemade scones and muffins. When available, we serve local eggs, produce and meats. We will happily accommodate some special diets, if informed at the time of reservation. There is a 24-hr. coffee bar for late night or early-rising coffee drinkers and there is always a variety of teas from which to choose.
For lunch and evening meals, there are a variety of area restaurants to try in Lexington, Warm Springs, and Staunton.
Among the Many Comforts You Will Enjoy
Enjoy an acre of landscaped grounds and gardens surrounding the Inn, offering a peaceful getaway and the chance for a quiet stroll. Secluded benches are found among the trees and flowers, many native to Virginia. A wide trout stream flows behind the property, just beyond the old livery stable. Relax on the deck and watch the stream flow past below. Fishermen might want to drop a line and test their luck. On cool evenings, light a fire in the chiminea and listen to the gentle sounds of Mill Creek. For hikers and kayakers, nearby Goshen Pass is a veritable vacation paradise, with dozens of miles of hiking trails and one of VA's most challenging rivers. Country drives, mountains and lakes, the Shenandoah Valley at its best, small historic towns, the local vineyard - you're going to need more than a day or two to explore this part of Virginia! Our collection of maps and written directions will help you plan the perfect day.
Our Inn is not set up for young children, but we welcome young people aged 12 and over who would feel comfortable in an adult environment. That is unless the whole family is taking the Inn - then the more the merrier!
If you are looking for a pet friendly bed and breakfast in the Lexington, VA area you at the right place!
Though the Hummingbird Inn does not have pets of its own (don't let Raoul hear me say that) we are definitely pet friendly, welcoming your canine and feline companions even played host to a fish once! Your pet will have direct outside access to the over one acre of lawns that make up the Hummingbird Inn property. They can run, play catch, or even take an easy visit to Mill Creek.
But wait...there is more. Each pet visiting the Hummingbird Inn is provided with a guest basket, that includes bowls for water or food, doggie placemat, special towel and rug, clean-up bags plus nite-time doggie reading books (you have to read them, we don't expect your dog to read to him/herself). Doggie treats from Lexington's own Barb's Bakery are also available.
We do have a few rules though...
- Owners shall control dogs at all times while on the property
- Dogs shall not be left alone, uncaged, in rooms except during breakfast
- Dogs shall not be allowed to roam through the house without their masters
- Please no dogs allowed in the kitchen or dining room during meals
- Dogs shall not be permitted to lie on furniture or bedding
- Owners shall prevent excessive barking
- Owners shall clean up dog deposits on property
- Owners shall report any accidents promptly
- My pet is not aggressive; up to date with vaccinations and is well socialized with other animals and other people
- My pet is free of ticks and fleas
- I will keep my pet off of ALL furniture, including the bed, and chairs
- $100 cleaning penalty will be assessed for rooms that require excessive cleaning due to stained bedspreads, etc.
- I will clean off my pet if he/she is wet or dirty, using the towel provided before letting them in the room
- I will assume financial responsibility for any damage caused by my pet during my stay
We try to be flexible, so please call us regarding your pet’s suitability for staying here with you. Guests with pets are accommodated in the Teter-Wood room, a first floor room with direct outside access. We charge an additional $15 per night per pet. So when next you travel with your pet into the Shenandoah Valley, nearby to Lexington, VA, stay at the pet friendly Hummingbird Inn in Goshen. (Rated 5 Barks)
Small, Intimate Weddings, Elopements, Commitment Ceremonies & Renewal of Vows
The Hummingbird Inn is the perfect setting for those couples wishing a small, casual celebration with a personal touch. We strive to make your day exactly what you want, with warm memories to last you in the years to come. We offer a beautiful, relaxed setting in which to take your vows. Our large living room and lovely gardens give you a choice of sites for the ceremony. We welcome ALL couples, and will work with you to personalize and customize your special day. If you wish, we can arrange for a local minister or officiate.
Just Us Two Package
Two night stay in choice of room with whirlpool tub or double shower for two
- Marriage, renewal of vows, or commitment service with minister or officiate
- Ribbon-tied bridal bouquet
- Small wedding cake
- Bottle of champagne or sparkling cider for toasts
- Full country breakfast served in the dining room
- $50 GiftCard for dinner at the restaurant of your choice
- Fresh flowers and chocolate-covered strawberries in your room
- Bride and Groom gifts
Ceremony can be held indoors or out, your choice of site. Bring your own music CD for us to play, if you wish.
Total cost, taxes included: $899. This package must be reserved in advance and requires a $100 non-refundable deposit, paid by check at time of reservation.
Small, Intimate Wedding Package
Two-night rental of all five guest rooms for the bridal couple and their friends and families
- Total of ten people which includes the bride and groom
- Marriage service with minister or officiate
- Lovely professional bridal bouquet with choice of flowers
- Boutonniere for the groom
- Two-layer wedding cake with your choice of flavors and fillings
- Champagne or sparkling cider for toasts
- Full country breakfast served in our dining room each morning
- Family dinner for ten
- Fresh flowers in all guest rooms
- Bride and Groom gifts
The ceremony can be held indoors in front of the fireplace in our living room or outside in our gardens, weather permitting, your choice of site. If you have a larger group, tents and reception food services are available (with a corresponding adjustment in the package price.)
Total cost, taxes included: $3500. This package requires a $500 non-refundable deposit, payable at time of reservation. The balance must be paid one month in advance of the wedding date.
- Professional photographers and music referrals available
If you're looking for a wedding from 2 to more than 100 guests, please call and we can discuss arrangements.
How To Find Us
For GPS: Longitude: 79.4979377876124 Latitude: 37.987405050252
Interstate 81 runs north/south through the Shenandoah Valley. It can be accessed directly from I-64 (Norfolk, VA -“ Charleston, WV), I-66 (from Washington D.C.), and I-77 (Charleston, WV- Charlotte, NC).
Paralleling I-81 are the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, scenic routes through portions of the George Washington and Thomas Jefferson National Forests, and the Shenandoah National Park. These roads are maintained and run by the U.S. National Forest Service. If time is not of paramount importance, these roads offer a spectacularly beautiful alternative to the Interstate highway. You can exit from either road at a number of points to connect with I-81 for the final portions of your trip.
Easiest route, scenic mountain views:
- From I-81 at Lexington, VA (coming from the south or coming east from WV on I-64)
- Take I-64 West 12.5 miles to exit 43, Rt. 780 north
- Take Rt. 780 north 9.5 miles to Goshen, following signs
- Rt. 780 ends at Rt. 39 in Goshen. Turn left onto Rt. 39
- Take Rt. 39 1 mile into Goshen. Bear left on Alt. Rt. 39
- Take Alt. Rt. 39 around corner and across railroad tracks
- Immediately turn left onto Wood Lane
- The Inn is the 4th house on the right
From I-81 at Staunton, VA (coming from the north or coming west from Richmond on I-64):
- Take Exit 220, just south of Staunton. onto Rt. 262 West
- Take this road to the Parkersburg Pike exit, Rt. 254
- Turn left onto 254 West, which will become 42 South in Buffalo Gap
- Take 42 all the way into Goshen
- Turn left after passing the BP station, onto Alt. Rt. 39 at Mill Creek Cafe
- Just before the railroad tracks, take the first right, which is Wood Lane
- The inn is the 4th house on the right
Most scenic but slow route:
(This route takes you through Goshen Pass, a spectacular rocky gorge. Not for night driving!)
- From I-81 North or South at Lexington, VA
- Take I-64 West 1/2 mile to Exit 55, Rt. 11 North
- Take Rt. 39 West 19 miles to Goshen. (Caution: slow, winding road.)
- In Goshen, bear left on Alt. Rt. 39 around corner and across railroad tracks
- Immediately turn left onto Wood Lane
- The Inn is the 4th house on the right