The Buckhorn Inn
Table Of Contents
A Shenandoah Valley landmark located in Churchville, Virginia, The Buckhorn was built circa 1811 as a stagecoach stop on the Parkersburg Turnpike. The Buckhorn was renowned for music, dances, whisky and "high class gambling." Now renovated, The Buckhorn Inn is a Bed & Breakfast serving families and couples alike. Garlan & Sylvia Yoder have made this wonderful historic inn into their own home and invite you to stay as if it were yours.
Even though its history is 200 years long, it is surprising how little is actually known about The Buckhorn. There are, however, many stories that have been passed on, stories about the owners and patrons alike. What people do remember is the warmth and hospitality that emanates from this neat old home. If only these walls could talk. Come experience the character of this precious old Inn for yourself. Come Home To The Buckhorn Inn.
It is important to us that you feel at home here in The Buckhorn Inn, so we have created a lounge area which we hope will certainly make you comfortable. Stretch out on our oversize couches and recliner to watch a movie or your favorite event on a flat screen hi-definition TV. Or, you may want to read a book or magazine in front of the gas fireplace. With a bookshelf full of books, magazines and games there is no shortage of ways to find your "home away from home." There is also a small refrigerator, coffee maker, and snacks to take care of your late night cravings.
We will do our best to provide you with comfortable, clean and welcoming guest rooms. Each of our rooms has a different decor and set up to best meet your needs. If there is anything else we can do for you during your stay with us, please don't hesitate to ask. We will do our best to accommodate you.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Garlan Yoder for sharing his own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Weekend get-aways, college events, wine tasting, antiquing
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
We are best known for our down to earth, feel at home atmosphere. We are unique in our area in that we take children of all ages and we are a historic property, built in 1811 as a stagecoach stop. We also have banquet facilities. What we love most is the way folks feel comfortable when they stay here.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
I think it would be to site see the Shenandoah Valley.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
“I’ve stayed in lot of B&Bs around the world and this is the first place I’ve truly felt comfortable”.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
American Shakespeare Theater - Blackfriers Playhouse. The only re-creation of Shakespeare’s indoor theater in the world, and they put on a world class performance.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
The Blackfriers Playhouse is on the top of the list. There are a lot of antique shopping opportunities available. During the warm months Staunton has some kind of cultural event going on most every night. The Frontier Culture Museum is a must for families with children.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
Lots of hiking
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
The Mill Street Grill and The Depot Grill are both guest favorites as well as ours.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference? How many rooms does your inn have?
We have 5 rooms.
Do you accept pets?
We do not accept pets.
Weddings and Special Events
We would love to talk with you about hosting your wedding at the Inn. Give us a call and we can discuss your needs.
Other events we can host are:
- Rehearsal Dinners
- Family Meals
- Family Reunion
- Birthday Parties
- Anniversary Parties
- Christmas Parties
- Any special day Parties
- Business Luncheon
- Civic Groups
- Sunday School Class Meal
- Car Shows
- Bus Groups
We can serve your group a catered meal or we can set up our buffet just for you and your friends.
We operate as a Bed & Breakfast and a venue to host any type of gathering, ranging from the informal family get together, to church or civic groups, to weddings, receptions, and rehearsal dinners.
We are now open only on Thanksgiving, Valentines, Easter, and Mother's Day and we ask that you call and make reservations for these days.
We are also open for walk-in dining on the two Saturdays of the Highland County Maple Festival with a pancake breakfast in the morning and the country buffet for dinner.
We can host groups of any size and would love the opportunity to serve you in the future. We can serve your group a catered meal or we can set up our buffet just for you and your friends.
The Buckhorn Inn is at the gateway to beautiful Bath and Highland Counties. The surrounding area boasts fresh cool Buckley Moss Print of the Buckhorn Inn mountain air, hot springs, mineral baths, historical sites and exhibits, and cultural events.
The Buckhorn is in the George Washington National Forest where outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, hunting, fishing and bird watching abound.
The Buckhorn is only a fifteen minute drive from Staunton Virginia. In the center of Augusta County, Staunton is replete with many beautiful historic buildings and resources.
Five areas in town have been designated as National Historic Districts, Gospel Hill, Stuart Addition, Newtown, Beverly and The Wharf. President Woodrow Wilson’s first home is one of the few presidential birthplaces open to the public. The house, a National Historic Landmark, is furnished and the garden has been restored in authentic pre-Civil War style.
The Frontier Culture Museum hosts events, programs and exhibits which are entertaining and educational.
Staunton is also home to the world's only re-creation of William Shakespeare’s original indoor theatre, Blackfriars Playhouse. In addition to theatrical performances, the Shenandoah Shakespeare organization offers educational programs, conferences, lectures, and a summer theatre camp for teens.
The Buckhorn Inn is in the George Washington National Forest and outdoor activities are numerous.
Links of Local & Regional Interest
- American Frontier Culture Museum
- Augusta County Chamber of Commerce
- Cass Scenic Railroad
- Daily News Leader
- Grand Caverns and Natural Chimneys
- Highland County Chamber of Commerce
- National Speleological Society Virginia Region
- National Weather Service
- Natural Bridge
- P. Buckley Moss, The People's Artist
- Shenan Arts
- Shenandoah Shakespeare Blackfriar’s Playhouse
- Statler Brothers' Complex and Museum
- Staunton Visitor’s Bureau
- Virginia Horseshoe Pitchers Association
- Virginia State Parks
- Weather Report
- Woodrow Wilson Birthplace
- Shenandoah Valley & Charlottesville PBS
- Afton Mountain Vineyards – 30 min.
- Cardinal Point Vineyard and Winery – 35 min.
- King Family Vineyards – 35 min.
- Rockbridge Vineyard – 35 min.
- Veritas Vineyard and Winery – 45 min.
- Wintergreen Winery – 45 min.
- More Virginia Wineries & Vineyards
- Roanoke Regional
- Shenandoah Valley Regional
The Buckhorn Inn is a great choice for graduations, parent’s weekend, and alumni gatherings.
- James Madison University – 35 min.
- Mary Baldwin College – 15 min.
- Washington and Lee University – 50 min.
- Virginia Military Institute – 50 min.
- University of Virginia – 1 hr.
- Bridgewater College – 20 min.
- Blue Ridge Community College – 25 min.
- Eastern Mennonite University – 40 min.
- Southern Virginia University – 1 hr.
- Dabney S. Lancaster Community College – 1 hr.
How To Find Us
From the North
- I 81 south to exit 225 (Rt 262)
- Go west on 262 for approximately 5 miles
- Get off on Churchville Av (Rt 250)
- Proceed 12 miles west on 250 on the right
From the South
- I 81 north to exit 220 (Rt 262)
- Follow 262 for approximatley 5 miles to Churchville Av (Rt 250)
- Proceed 12 miles west on 250 on the right
From the East
- I 64 west to I 81 south
- Take first exit 220 and follow directions from the South
From the West
- Rt 250 east through Monterey and McDowell
- 8 miles on the left after Augusta County line which is at the
- Confederate Battleworks on top of the mountain
The Buckhorn Inn is located approximately:
- 12 miles West of Staunton Rt. 250
- 15 miles to juncture of Interstate 64 & Interstate 81
- 22 miles to Shenandoah Valley Airport
- 25 miles to Harrisonburg
- 40 miles to Charlottesville
- 40 miles to Lexington
- 85 miles North of Roanoke
- 100 miles West of Richmond
- 150 miles Southwest of Washington, D.C.