The Oaks Victorian Inn
Table Of Contents
The Oaks Victorian Inn is the only Select Registry Bed & Breakfast in the Mid Atlantic Region to receive the prestigious AAA Four Diamond Award for 19 consecutive years.
This award-winning historic Queen Anne Victorian Bed & Breakfast Inn is located in the small historic town of Christiansburg, Va. near Roanoke just 2 miles off I-81 in the heart of the New River Valley; minutes from Blacksburg, home of Virginia Tech "hokies" and Radford University.
Whether you are planning a romantic getaway, an elopement, a reunion, a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway, your honeymoon, antique shopping, a opportunity to experience the changing of leaves, attending a Virginia Tech football game or touring Virginia wineries; come and enjoy the glorious setting and relaxed elegance, while feeling as comfortable as you would in your own home.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Bernie and Linda for sharing their own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
We get several types of travelers. Being only 2 miles from exits 114 and 118 of I-81, many single night guests are on their way to or from a large destination city and depending on the time of year we get snowbirds heading north or south. Virginia Tech and Radford University are within minutes of The Oaks attracting parents and alumni for various school events. Many guests come for the romance and charm of a Victorian home to celebrate anniversaries, birthdays or to just relax and reconnect. Guests that love the outdoors come for the beauty of The Blue Ridge Mountains and The New River Valley.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
The Oaks Victorian Inn is a romantic Queen Anne Victorian that has been awarded AAA’s 4 diamond Award for 18 years in a row. During the warmer weather sit and relax with a glass of wine on our wrap around porch or in our extensive gardens. When it’s too cold for the porch, curl up in front of one of our fireplaces with a good book and a cup of cocoa. The Oaks is warm and inviting and we love sharing it with guests from all over the world.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
Christiansburg is a sleepy little town in the New River Valley of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
Many of our guests comment on our attention to detail.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
It’s a great home base for a multi night stay as there are many things to do in less than an hour in every direction.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
Taste some great Virginia wines at one of many local wineries. Go antique hunting and find some wonderful treasures. Hike to the Cascades, a 66 ft. waterfall in the Jefferson National Forest. Head over to Floyd to shop, dine and listen to bluegrass music. Explore the Virginia Tech campus and downtown Blacksburg. Listen to a concert at Virginia Tech’s Moss Arts Center or Radford University’s Covington Hall. Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway. Check out The Lyric a restored old single screen theater. Watch a movie at the Starlite Drive-in May-Oct Attend a Salem Red Sox or Pulaski Mariner’s minor league ball game. Enjoy fishing and water activities on the New River.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
Antiques on Main, Macado’s Pub and The Summit Restaurant are all within walking distance .
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
We love The Summit for fine dining, Sal’s in Blacksburg for Italian, Due South for BBQ and Buffalo and More for great food worthy of a visit from Diners Drive-Ins and Dives .
How many rooms does your inn have?
There are 5 guest rooms in the house and a private cottage complete with hot tub and sauna out back in our “Secret Garden”.
Do you accept pets?
Sorry, we do not accommodate pets.
Meet the Innkeepers - Linda and Bernie Wurtzburger
In 2005, they decided that they wanted to someday leave corporate America for a more tranquil lifestyle. Linda was approaching her 25th year with UPS and Bernie had worked on Wall Street for 22 years and then several years at Pfizer Pharmaceutical.
Linda loves to cook and garden, Bernie loves to clean and work on the internet, and they both love staying at B&B's and meeting the interesting variety of people that stay at them. What could be more ideal than becoming innkeepers? They compiled a fantasy list of what would make the perfect bed and breakfast, a yellow Victorian with a rocking chair porch and a turret, stained glass windows, beautiful woodwork, 4-6 guest rooms, lots of fireplaces, pretty gardens, window seats, 2 ovens in the kitchen and good owner's quarters.
For 3 years they looked in New England visiting B&Bs along the southern coast of Maine, Newport RI, Cape Cod and the Berkshire Mountains never finding one that was just right. They expanded their search to Upstate NY, Lancaster PA and Northern Virginia still not finding just the right place.
In the spring of 2009 they decided to try Asheville, again not finding the perfect B&B. To break up the 12 hour drive home, they decided stay at an inn just 2 miles off interstate 81 in the town of Christiansburg VA. When they walked in the front door Bernie' s jaw dropped and all he could say was, "Why couldn' t this place be for sale"? Surprise, it was for sale and on April 15th, 2010 they became innkeepers.
Amenities at The Oaks
- King/Queen Beds with comfortable mattresses and soft
- Luxurious linens
- Plush robes and towels
- Imported soaps and shampoos
- Hair dryers
- Wine glasses with a cork screw
- In room refrigerators
- Complimentary beverages
- Flat screen TVs with cable
- DVD players
- Wireless Internet access
- Private telephones
Several rooms have fireplaces and Jacuzzis. The Major Pierce room boasts his and hers bathrooms with a 100+ year old claw foot soaking tub. If you are a guest in the Garden Cottage enjoy a soak in your private hot tub followed by a dry steam in your sauna for two.
Goodies in the Afternoon
Tired after a long drive? Been hiking all day? When you come home to The Oaks there will be hot water available for tea, coffee or cocoa. Homemade cookies and complimentary sherry are available throughout the day.
- Extensive perennial gardens
- Fish pond with a waterfall
- A large brick terrace in our backyard, complete with wrought iron tables and chairs
- A large wrap-around porch with rocking chairs and side tables, perfect for an cup of coffee first thing in the morning or good conversation and a glass of wine at the end of the day
For Business Guests
Corporate Rates are available for the single business traveler Sunday-Thurs nights. Inquire about rates when making your reservation.
- Limited faxing and copying services
- Early breakfasts and coffee to go
Activities and Events
- Dining - Everything from American fare to Italian, French and more
- Golfing - The River Course, The Meadows Golf Club, Draper Golf Club
- Outdoor Activities - The Blue Ridge Parkway, Huckleberry Trail, Appalachian Trail
- Wineries - Chateau Morrisette, Attimo Winery, Villa Appalaccia Winery
- Attractions and Shopping - Historical Smithfield Plantation, Floyd Country Store, Antiquing
- Sports - Virginia Tech Football, Salem Red Sox, Pulaski Mariners
- Music - Floyd Country Store Bluegrass Jamboree, Floydfest, Blacksburg Fork and Cork
- 2 miles off I-81 exit 114 or 118
- 35 miles south of Roanoke Airport
- 10 minutes from Virginia Tech and Radford University
- 25 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway
- 33 miles north of I-77 and I-81 Interchange
- Approximately 30 minutes from several Virginia wineries
- Take exit 114 follow the sign toward Christiansburg (you will be on Main Street)
- Travel straight approx. 2 miles
- The Oaks is on the corner of East Main and Park
From Blue Ridge Parkway
- Take Rt. 8 (MP165) west 28 miles in to Christiansburg (Rt.8 becomes Main Street)
- Follow straight to The Oaks
- Travel 460 East toward Roanoke- pass
- Virginia Tech and Blacksburg
- After hospital sign take the next
- Exit 460 Business/Downtown
- (N Franklin) Travel straight approx. 2 miles
- Turn left at the corner of East & West Main Street - follow straight to The Oaks