The Oaks Victorian Inn
Table Of Contents
The Oaks Victorian Inn is the only Select Registry Bed & Breakfast in the Mid Atlantic Region to receive the prestigious AAA Four Diamond Award for 18 consecutive years. This award-winning historic Queen Anne Victorian Bed & Breakfast Inn is located in the small historic town of Christiansburg, Va. near Roanoke just 2 miles off I-81 in the heart of the New River Valley; minutes from Blacksburg, home of Virginia Tech "hokies" and Radford University. Whether you are planning a romantic getaway, an elopement, a reunion, a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway, your honeymoon, antique shopping, a opportunity to experience the changing of leaves, attending a Virginia Tech football game or touring Virginia wineries; come and enjoy the glorious setting and relaxed elegance, while feeling as comfortable as you would in your own home.
Meet the Innkeepers - Linda and Bernie Wurtzburger
In 2005, they decided that they wanted to someday leave corporate America for a more tranquil lifestyle. Linda was approaching her 25th year with UPS and Bernie had worked on Wall Street for 22 years and then several years at Pfizer Pharmaceutical.
Linda loves to cook and garden, Bernie loves to clean and work on the internet, and they both love staying at B&B's and meeting the interesting variety of people that stay at them. What could be more ideal than becoming innkeepers? They compiled a fantasy list of what would make the perfect bed and breakfast, a yellow Victorian with a rocking chair porch and a turret, stained glass windows, beautiful woodwork, 4-6 guest rooms, lots of fireplaces, pretty gardens, window seats, 2 ovens in the kitchen and good owner's quarters.
For 3 years they looked in New England visiting B&Bs along the southern coast of Maine, Newport RI, Cape Cod and the Berkshire Mountains never finding one that was just right. They expanded their search to Upstate NY, Lancaster PA and Northern Virginia still not finding just the right place.
In the spring of 2009 they decided to try Asheville, again not finding the perfect B&B. To break up the 12 hour drive home, they decided stay at an inn just 2 miles off interstate 81 in the town of Christiansburg VA. When they walked in the front door Bernie' s jaw dropped and all he could say was, "Why couldn' t this place be for sale"? Surprise, it was for sale and on April 15th, 2010 they became innkeepers.
Amenities at The Oaks
- King/Queen Beds with comfortable mattresses and soft, luxurious linens
- Plush robes and towels
- Imported soaps and shampoos, hair dryers
- Wine glasses with a cork screw
- In room refrigerators with complimentary beverages
- Flat screen TVs with cable, DVD players, wireless Internet access and private telephones
Several rooms have fireplaces and Jacuzzis. The Major Pierce room boasts his and hers bathrooms with a 100+ year old claw foot soaking tub. If you are a guest in the Garden Cottage enjoy a soak in your private hot tub followed by a dry steam in your sauna for two.
Goodies in the Afternoon
Tired after a long drive? Been hiking all day? When you come home to The Oaks there will be hot water available for tea, coffee or cocoa. Homemade cookies and complimentary sherry are available throughout the day.
- Extensive perennial gardens
- Fish pond with a waterfall
- A large brick terrace in our backyard, complete with wrought iron tables and chairs
- A large wrap-around porch with rocking chairs and side tables, perfect for an cup of coffee first thing in the morning or good conversation and a glass of wine at the end of the day
For Business Guests
Corporate Rates are available for the single business traveler Sunday-Thurs nights. Inquire about rates when making your reservation.
- Limited Faxing and Copying Services
- Early breakfasts and coffee to go
Activities and Events
Dining - Everything from American fare to Italian, French and more
Golfing - The River Course, The Meadows Golf Club, Draper Golf Club
Outdoor Activities - The Blue Ridge Parkway, Huckleberry Trail, Appalachian Trail
Attractions and Shopping - Historical Smithfield Plantation, Floyd Country Store, Antiquing
Sports - Virginia Tech Football, Salem Red Sox, Pulaski Mariners
- 2 miles off I-81 exit 114 or 118
- 35 miles south of Roanoke Airport
- 10 minutes from Virginia Tech and Radford University
- 25 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway
- 33 miles north of I-77 and I-81 Interchange
- Approximately 30 minutes from several Virginia wineries
Take exit 114 follow the sign toward Christiansburg- you will be on Main Street. Travel straight approx. 2 miles. The Oaks is on the corner of East Main and Park
From Blue Ridge Parkway
Take Rt. 8 (MP165) west 28 miles in to Christiansburg (Rt.8 becomes Main Street) follow straight to The Oaks
- Travel 460 East toward Roanoke- pass
- Virginia Tech and Blacksburg
- After hospital sign take the next
- Exit 460 Business/Downtown
- (N Franklin) Travel straight approx. 2 miles. Turn left at the corner of East & West Main Street - follow straight to The Oaks