Applebutter Inn Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
The Applebutter Inn Bed & Breakfast is nestled in the quiet and peaceful hamlet of Taftsville, less than 30 minutes from Dartmouth College, Ascutney Ski Area, and Killington & Pico Ski Resorts; 10 minutes away from Suicide Six Ski Area; and only three miles from the centers of Woodstock and Quechee in Vermont.
As a guest, you can get away from the hustle and bustle of the villages and enjoy the breath-taking views of the Green Mountains, the landscaped grounds, and take walks on the country roads by the inn, the Taftsville Covered Bridge over the Ottauquechee River and the rushing waterfalls.
The Inn, built in 1850, is a Federal gabled house with a magical atmosphere reflecting the joy of living in this authentically restored Vermont home. The interior of the Inn is tastefully decorated to create a touch of elegance combined with comfort and warmth.
Soft traditional colors, unique 18th century antiques, original stenciling, wide pine floor boards, and oriental rugs all add to a memorable and comfortable stay at the Applebutter Inn.
Until 1975, the property was owned and operated as the Watson Jersey Farm. The spectacular barn remains and it is truly a pleasure to explore. In 1987, the Inn opened as a bed and breakfast to many guests from around the world who have returned again and again. Guests have affirmed the inn as the "bees knees", "boundless, bottomless hospitality" and "wonderful as always".
Applebutter Inn Bed and Breakfast Amenities
The innkeepers' hobby is hospitality and they provide their guests quality, comfort, and attention to detail. The guest rooms (all named after apples) with private baths, personify this with fresh flowers, 18th century converted beds with feather mattresses, fine linens, down comforters and pillows, which make it "hard to get up in the morning."
In the morning, you will wake to the aroma of the breads and muffins baking in the oven. The bountiful breakfast is graciously presented in the sunny breakfast room overlooking the gardens and barn. Beeswax candles made by the owner light the tables and the fireplace warms you in the winter.
Complimentary teas are available in the afternoon and for dinner, let us make reservations for you in one of the many fine gourmet and family restaurants minutes away.
Spacious and quiet, the Inn is a perfect place to hold weddings, retreats, family reunions, workshops and small conferences or meetings. We will be happy to help you plan an event.
Applebutter Inn Bed & Breakfast is quality rated by Mobil Travel Guide, recommended in Yankee & Food and Wine Magazines.
Sample Breakfast Menu
Menus guests will enjoy:
- Peach yogurt pancakes with Vermont maple syrup
- Cream of Wheat Blackberry Muffins
- Vermont Cheddar Cheese and grapes
- Applebutter Inn made almond/coconut granola
- Fruit compote (kiwi, pears, fresh pineapple, and more)
- Vanilla low fat yogurt
- House blended juice (we have fun getting our guests to decipher which juices are blended...we have three different blends)
- House flavored coffees, New England coffee (we have found it to be the best and our guests say, "this is the best coffee we have tasted") decaf beverage, cocoa, all tea varieties
- Apple/currant bread pudding
- Cheddar date muffins and carob/almond muffins
- Orange and grapefruit wedges
- Maple syrup yogurt
- Fruited granola - dried bananas and apricots (same as above beverages)
- Egg/turkey ham/chive breakfast lasagna
- Raspberry coffee cake
- Apple streusel muffins (house favorite)
- Baking powder biscuits
- Hot fresh oatmeal with cinnamon sugars (same as above beverages)
- Polenta/blueberry ricotta low fat pancakes (we pick about 40 pounds of sweet and plumb Blueberries from the local farm that we use throughout the year)
- Turkey sausage
- Vermont maple syrup
- Orange/rosemary biscuits
- Cheese plate with fruit (same as above beverages)
The special house Applebutter is always served as well. (Because we have a 60% return rate we avoid duplicate menus so our return guests are surprised and satisfied). Please know that we have available vegetarian menus, dietary needs and allergies to foods are always respected so that everyone can enjoy their breakfasts at the Applebutter Inn. Yes, we prepare foods with tofu, soymilk, and nondairy dishes.
On our grounds, you can picnic, read, and relax in season, and practice cross country skiing in winter.
Our Inn is 20 minutes from Dartmouth College, less than 30 minutes from Killington and Pico Ski resorts, and 10 minutes from Suicide Six Ski Slopes.
- Dartmouth College
- Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historic Park
- Billings Farm Museum- Working farm & tours
- Simon Pearce- Hand-blown glass on site, pottery, hand weaving
- President Calvin Coolidge Homestead
- The Appalachian Trail
- Saint Gaudens National Historic Site
- Taftsville Country Store
- Numerous Antique and Art Galleries
- Vermont Institute of Natural Science and Raptor Center
- Vermont Law School
- Fishing (Guided or not) and Canoeing
- Downhill and Cross Country skiing and Snowshoeing
- Quechee Gorge
- Quechee Hot Air Balloon Festival
- Woodstock Wassail Weekend
- Sugarbush Cheese & Maple Syrup Farm
- Sleigh Rides - Kedron Valley Stables