Table Of Contents
The Applebutter Inn Bed & Breakfast is nestled in the peaceful hamlet of Taftsville, Vermont. We are just minutes from downtown Woodstock, miles of biking and hiking, downhill and cross country skiiing, and a multiude of artisan craftspeople.
As a guest, you can enjoy breathtaking views of the Green Mountains and take walks on the country roads by the inn, including the Taftsville Covered Bridge over the Ottauquechee River and the rushing waterfalls.
The inn, built in 1850, is a Federal gabled house with a magical atmosphere reflecting the joy of living in this authentically restored Vermont home. The interior of the inn is tastefully decorated to create a touch of elegance combined with comfort and warmth. Most of the rooms have either a fireplace or potbelly stove, and all have an ensuite or private bath.
Soft traditional colors, wide pine floors, antiques, and original stenciling all contribute to a memorable stay at the Applebutter Inn.
Applebutter Inn Bed and Breakfast Amenities
Innkeepers Jill and Don Rose will provide you with a warm welcome, afternoon tea buffet with homemade baked goods, a gourmet breakfast, and recommendations on everything from local restaurants to the best shopping, day trips, and places of interest. Their Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Ginger, will greet you as a long-lost friend.
In the fall and winter, guests enjoy spending time in the fireplaced living room and other seating areas, playing board games, and taking walks on nearby country roads and hiking paths.
In the spring and summer, guests often spend an afternoon on the shady side porch, large patio, or playing outdoor games in the garden. The inn's inviting outdoor area is also the perfect place to enjoy a glass of wine or beer before dinner at a nearby restaurant.
Sample Breakfast Menu
Menus guests will enjoy:
- Apple mascarpone bread pudding
- Blueberry pancakes with lemon cream
- Poached eggs on ham & cheese scones
- Belgian waffles with whipped cream and fresh fruit
- Orange marmalade French toast
- Potato artichoke frittata (GF)
- Strawberry panzanella
- Ginger scones
- Cornmeal biscuits with maple cream
- Mini strawberry scones
- Chocolate zucchini bread
- Blueberry cornmeal muffins
- Cranberry chocolate chip muffins (GF)
We are happy to prepare a vegetarian meal, a gluten free meal, or a vegan meal.
Taftsville is a village of Woodstock consisting of our inn, a general store/post office, and some houses. That’s it! You will feel as though you are away from it all, but you are, literally, minutes from everything.
Here are some things to know about our location:
- We are 3 miles east of downtown Woodstock (dining, shopping, crafts, art galleries, movie theatre, and more)
- We are 5 miles from downtown Quechee and 4 miles from Quechee Gorge (a must-see)
- We are 35 minutes from Killington Mountain, 15 minutes to Suicide Six Ski Area, and 10 minutes from miles of groomed cross-country trails
- We are only a few minutes from some of the best hiking and biking trails in the area
- Plymouth Artisan Cheese, where you can view the cheese-making process and sample local products, is 25 minutes from here
- The Taftsville covered bridge is about 2 minutes (walking) from the inn.
- We are 30 minutes from Dartmouth College
- Fun, easy day trips from our inn include Weston (where The Vermont Country store is located), Norwich (the King Arthur Flour store), and Hanover (Dartmouth College and a lovely downtown).
Named one of the most beautiful towns in America by Condé Nast Traveler in 2016, as well as one of Yankee Magazine’s 10 Best Winter Towns, Woodstock boasts a perfect village green and pristine New England architecture. The Kedron River runs through the center of town, which is full of restaurants, cafés, art galleries, artisan crafts stores, clothing and home décor boutiques, and—of course—Gillingham’s General Store, a fixture for 128 years.