The North Hero House Inn and Restaurant
Table Of Contents
The North Hero House Country Inn and Restaurant is an historic, beautifully restored 26 room inn, nestled in the heart of a charming well-preserved 19th century village on Lake Champlain. The Inn has been welcoming guests since 1891 when they arrived by steamer. The North Hero House Steamship Pier, which still stands today, harbors a small marina and serves as the Inn's most celebrated event site.
The Inn's wide range of amenities include 26 romantic rooms, an acclaimed restaurant, two full bars, beautiful event sites, a hot tub, a sandy beach, marina and a caring staff. The inn is a wonderful getaway for couples, families, destination weddings, business meetings and private parties.
North Hero House is the Perfect Four Season Getaway
The Inn is open year round and allows guests to immerse themselves in the quiet rural charm of the Lake Champlain Islands, which offer exquisite panoramic vistas of the Lake and the Green Mountains at every turn. In the spring, summer, and fall, guests enjoy a multitude of activities which range from swimming, boating, festivals and craft fairs to fishing, hiking, antiquing, leaf peeping and more.
Winter at the Inn is an opportunity to enjoy a cozy romantic room, outstanding cuisine, an extensive wine list, a moonlit night in the hot tub and relaxation next to the fire in our solarium. For the adventuresome there is an onsite skating rink, cross country skiing, ice fishing and long country walks.
We invite you to discover the true relaxation that awaits you at The North Hero House. We look forward to hearing from you and providing you with friendly service and a memorable experience.
The North Hero House is an historic inn and restaurant located in Vermont on North Hero Island in Lake Champlain. Its excellent location, fine accommodations, and gourmet dining have been attracting visitors since its original opening year of 1891. In 1997 the inn was completely renovated to restore its original historical charm and offer the comforts and convenience desired by today's travelers.
The North Hero House has a number of facilities conveniently located about the property for your use and enjoyment.
The Lakeside Hot Tub
Unwind and ease your mind in the beauty and relaxing heat of our lakeside hot tub. The hot tub is open four seasons for your enjoyment and is located directly beside our beach with a breathtaking view of Lake Champlain and Mount Mansfield. The hot tub is equipped with an outdoor shower at its entry, and just adjacent is a changing room with towels, bathroom, and full shower for your convenience.
The Pier Bar
Great for beach day lunches or sunset hors d'oeuvres and cocktails! Located at the base of our steamship pier, The Pier Bar is available for our guests to use at their leisure or for special events held at The North Hero House. Cheers!
Located on the sheltered north side of our steamship pier is our marina, which has plenty of space for guests to lease a slip at $10 per day during their stay or free docking for our breakfast and dinner guests! This is also a favorite fishing spot of many of our guests and locals alike - bass, sunfish, bowfin, and northern pike have made our marina their home!
Atmosphere and sumptuous cuisine!
Come dine with us and experience a wonderful melange of flavors that stimulate your palate, an award winning wine selection, full bar and unmatched service. Our Chefs prepare nouvelle American cuisine that changes with the season, as we are proud to serve seasonal Vermont farm-fresh ingredients including locally and on-site grown produce, locally raised beef, and Maine seafood. From elegant fine dining to the bustling, casual pub, The North Hero House has the atmosphere and cuisine to meet your desires.
Our dining room is currently open to the public Wednesday to Sunday from 5 pm to 8 pm. On Monday and Tuesday in-house guests may be accommodated by calling the number below at the time of room reservation.
The Dining Room
Spacious and comfortable, with original paintings by local artist Corliss Blakely, our colonial dining room is a lovely setting for couples and for larger parties. Enjoy live piano music from Verne Colburn on Saturdays in the summer months.
A sitting area warmed by a fireplace when a chill is in the air, perfect for enjoying a drink before dinner or dessert after your meal. This rooms is overflowing with flora in the summer months, has a cool ceramic tiled floor, and is filled with sunshine. The Greenhouse provides a beautiful space for private parties at any time of year.
Enjoy your meal al fresco on our patio under the shade of our umbrellas and admire the lake under the watchful eye of Mount Mansfied. Choose from our pub fare or our fine dining menu. The best of both worlds!
A romantic space with hardwood floors, fine linens and large glass picture windows overlooking Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains, this candle-lit setting is perfect for catching a sunset and for couples and small parties up to four.
Named after the resident chocolate labrador, Oscar, and recently renovated with a gorgeous hand-crafted walnut bar and bamboo flooring, Oscar's Oasis has a lively atmosphere with bar and pub seating complete with two televisions, offering casual fare such as locally raised angus beef burgers, Great Lakes Walleye - fish and chips and much more that goes great with our selection of local draught beers. A great place to linger enjoying the company of good friends or for a quick beer and a bite, come on out for a great night!
How To Find Us
We have provided some common routes to our establishment below. If you would like a specific set of directions, go to Google Maps. Type in 3643 US Route 2, North Hero, VT 05474 for your destination. Please feel free to call us if you need help finding us at 1-888-525-3644.
From Burlington, Vermont:
Take I-89 North to Exit 17, then take a right onto Route 2 West to North Hero, (22 miles from Exit 17 to the North Hero House)
Distance: 34 miles from Burlington (45 minutes)
From Montreal, Quebec:
Take 15 South, cross the border at Rouses Point, NY. After crossing, make left onto Route 2 East and follow into North Hero. (20 miles from NY bridge to North Hero.)
Distance: 60 miles from Montreal (1 hour)
From New York City:
Take I-87 North to Plattsburgh NY, then take Exit 39 towards Cumberland Head Ferry, cross to the Champlain Islands (ferries run every 20 minutes year round). Turn left out of ferry station onto 314 North. At the end of 314, turn left onto Route 2 West to North Hero. (10 miles from the ferry to the North Hero House)
Distance: 325 miles from NYC (4.5 â€“ 5 hours)
From Boston, Massachusetts:
Take I-93 North, then I-89 North to Vermont. Take Exit 17, then take a Right onto Route 2 West to North Hero. (22 miles from Exit 17 to the North Hero House)
Distance: 260 miles from Boston (3.5 â€“ 4 hours)
The North Hero House Inn & Restaurant offers numerous romantic settings to make your celebration just as you imagined it: surrounded by the lake and overlooking the Green Mountains under a white tent on our steamship pier, amidst the warmth and elegance of our colonial dining room, or bathed in the sunlight of our glass-enclosed greenhouse. Our establishment can host an intimate reception with your closest family and friends or a grand soiree with up to 200 guests. The North Hero House is also recognized for its outstanding cuisine, fantastic wine selection, and attention to detail. Four balconied buildings clustered alongside Lake Champlain provide the Inn with 26 guestrooms to accommodate your guests. Our range of amenities makes us the ideal location for a destination wedding. Whatever your desires are, we can provide you with an event to remember.
We have attentive & friendly staff available to work one on one with you to plan your special event. Your wedding coordinator will assist you in designing the perfect menu for you and your guests including special requests, unique menu concepts, advice on floral arrangements, and any other requirements you might have to make your event a memorable occasion.
Meetings & Events
The North Hero House isn't just a destination for vacationers and couples. Business meeting retreats and private special events are also our specialty. We would be delighted to host your next party or corporate get together. Contact us at our events mailbox NHHEvents@aol.com to begin planning your event.
Enhance your team's creative thinking in a beautiful, relaxed setting with destination retreat instead of the corporate board room, without sacrificing the convenience of available technology. The North Hero House Inn & Restaurant would be pleased to provide you with a comfortable meeting room with wireless internet access and access to fax and copy machines. We offer a wide range of breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner options to energize your group during your gathering and for relaxation at the conclusion of the event. In addition, relaxing, lakeside overnight accommodations are available for your attendees at a reduced corporate rate.
The North Hero House Inn & Restaurant would be delighted to host your next big event! Our steamship pier, patio, front porch, pub room, colonial dining room, or our greenhouse provide the perfect backdrop spaces for any private party.
We can accommodate a wide variety of party sizes, menu selections, and service levels to meet your needs. We can also provide beautiful overnight accommodations. See below for events we have hosted in the past; this is not an exclusive list, we would be happy to be able accommodate any event you may have coming up!
Give us a call at 1-888-525-3644 to arrange a terrific party for your upcoming special occasion.
Holiday Parties ~ Birthday Parties ~ Retirement Parties ~ Anniversaries
Bar & Bat Mitzvahs ~ Family Reunions ~ Civil Unions ~ Wedding Rehearsal Dinners
Wedding Showers ~ Baby Showers ~ Bachelor and Bachelorette Parties ~ Cocktail Receptions
You Name It!
Activities & Attractions
The Champlain Islands and surrounding areas are full of things to see and do. Day trips, boating, historical sites, antiquing, shopping, biking and much more are suited to the more active traveler. Want to just kick back and relax? There are many perfect spots right here at The North Hero House to do just that.
- Apple Picking
- Boat Tours: Captain Holly
- Island Arts Gallery
- Biking: The Lake Champlain Islands is one of the best places in Vermont for biking with its mostly flat or gently sloped terrain and its beautiful lake, mountain, and rural countryside views. We recommend renting bikes and taking rides on your own, as there are maps of easy routes available & plenty of places to rent bikes; or if you prefer a guided experience, several bike tour companies have lodging with us as part of their guided tours, however these must be arranged by booking a tour with one of these companies.
- Boating: Whether you are planning a fishing trip or just want to get out onto Lake Champlain, boating is one of the best ways to experience the wonders of the lake. Captain Holly takes up to six passengers on wonderful guided tours of the Champlain Islands by boat and she also does wonderful dinner cruises at sunset with a picnic dinner provided by our restaurant. There are also places to rent your own boats, we rent some smaller ones and other local businesses have larger boats for rent.
- Fishing: Lake Champlain is one of the most renowned fisheries, a favorite of professionals and casual fishermen alike. Our marina & steamship pier are great places for casual casting. We rent motor boats if you would like to venture onto the lake, and there are also larger boats available for rent at local businesses (see Boating), and plenty of nearby locations to get live bait with a wide selection of the best tackle. A wonderful full or half day activity is to charter a fishing trip with Captain Holly, whose boat The Sacagawea has homeport at our marina. Be ready for great scenery, great fish, and great company with Holly!
- Flying: One of the most breathtaking ways to experience the whole of the Champlain Islands is to see it from the air. Perfect for special occasions, photographic opportunities, or for real estate viewing. Get picked up at the North Hero House!
- Golfing: The spring, summer, and fall weather here is unbeatable for golfing. Not to mention some of the breathtaking views from the courses. Check out some local courses, or take a day trip to the North East Kingdom to experience Jay Peak Resortâ€™s brand new spectacular course.
- Hiking and Walking: This is a great way to see some wildlife native to the islands. Most of these walks have wonderful trails that are along the lake for all or portions of the path. Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy it on one of the beaches you encounter!
- The Hookenspoon
- St. Anneâ€™s Shrine
- Isle La Motte Old Schoolhouse & Museum
- Hyde Log Cabin, Grand Isle, VT
- Alburg Historical Society & Public Library
- Grannyâ€™s Attic
- Ice Skating: Ice skating on Lake Champlain during the winter months is the perfect way to enjoy the outdoors. Heroâ€™s Welcome General Store has figure skate, hockey skate, nordic skate, snowshoe & cross country ski rentals available.
- Tennis: We have an arrangement with a neighboring establishment for our guests to have use of tennis courts. Please ask us regarding reserving courts.