Sleepy Hollow Inn, Ski and Bike Center
Table Of Contents
Welcome to Sleepy Hollow Inn, Ski and Bike Center, a Vermont Country Inn and Round Barn in Vermont. Sleepy Hollow is the perfect place to have your dream barn wedding in Vermont. Sleepy Hollow's Round Barn features a beautiful view of Camel's Hump from the large reception area. With its high ceilings and wood crafted interior, your family will be awed by your wedding location. Have your wedding ceremony by the pond, cocktails under the pavilion and dance the night away in the 17 sided Round Barn. Included in the wedding package is a two night stay in our inn, where your family and friends can enjoy an unforgettable weekend at Sleepy Hollow.
Our family friendly Inn has eight charming rooms to make your stay here incredibly comfortable. Each room has its own unique view of the surrounding property, including a swimming pond and nearby mountains. Our hot and homemade breakfast will surely give you the energy to ski, snowshoe, bike or hike all day long. New this year we offer our own Sleepy Hollow Maple Syrup. We have 870 private acres of woods, hills, and meadows to enjoy, including our pond and wood fired sauna. Your family can enjoy our many activities in the area including the Green Mountain Audubon Nature Center and Birds of Vermont Museum which are a short mile away.
We are a family owned and operated small business featuring acclaimed nordic skiing and mountain biking in a beautiful setting. We are located in the scenic town of Huntington, Vermont, only 30 minutes from Burlington. Come and enjoy miles of running, hiking, mountain biking or well-groomed cross-country skiing trails starting right at our doorstep. Sleepy Hollow is tucked away in the foothills of the Green Mountains. Moose, deer, wild turkey, and other wildlife abound.
The Inn at Sleepy Hollow is perfect for a Cross Country skiing adventure, fall foliage tour, a romantic get-away, or simply to visit friends and relatives. Sleepy Hollow Inn is a relaxing beautiful place to stay in the hills and hollows of Huntington, Vermont. We have eight distinctively furnished guest rooms within our renovated lodge. Each offering large spacious rooms with beautiful views of the surrounding mountains.
Awaken each morning to a delicious homemade country breakfast! Our favorite menus include Vermont milled whole wheat blueberry pancakes served with a fresh fruit salad and Harrington's cob-smoked bacon, or our cinnamon french toast served with a fresh fruit plate and Harrington's sausage links. All of our food is prepared fresh, and served family-style with our own Sleepy Hollow Maple Syrup.
Unwind at night in our wood-fired sauna located next to our swimming pond. Simply request a time for your sauna, and we'll have it hot for you (holds up to eight). We offer free wireless internet to our guests, available around the Inn and Round Barn Event Center. Our down-to-earth, friendly, and comfortable inn also features our two guest living rooms. One has a large fieldstone fireplace, while the other has ample reading couches.
Trail passes are included with your stay, in addition ski lessons, ski, snowshoe, and ice skate rentals are all offered in the winter. Summer at Sleepy Hollow includes mountain biking, hiking, birding, and running.
Relax at night with one of our hundreds of books available to guests. Dave Enman, co-proprietor, runs a used Book Store in the basement of the Round Barn and has many unique treasures. Vermont history buffs will especially delight in our collection of 40,000 used and antique books.
All prices include a hearty homemade breakfast, cross-country ski or mountain bike passes on our 40 km of trails, and use of the wood-fired sauna next to our pond. Each room is uniquely decorated, and deer and moose are often seen from Sleepy Hollow's windows.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Molly Peters for sharing her own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Guests stay here because we have cross country skiing onsite and 30 miles of outdoor trails for hiking and biking.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
We are best known for skiing and outdoor activities. We are in the middle of nowhere, so we enjoy the peace and quiet.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
The main reason people come visit is for cross country skiing in the winter, hiking & biking in the spring and summer, and the beauty of the leaves in the fall.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
Our guests say they feel very comfortable, like they are at home.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
The Birds of Vermont Museum, featuring over 500 carved wooden birds, representing 259 species.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
They should visit Ben & Jerry's Factory in Waterbury, Visit Burlington, and the Vermont Teddy Bear Company in Shelburne. Burlington & Shelburne are about a 30 minute drive.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
We are a 5 minute walk to the Birds of Vermont Museum.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
There are many great restaurants, but 2 that are nearby; Toscano Cafe Bistro in Richmond,(10 minute drive), the Smokehouse Burlington, (30 minute drive), and The Bobcat Cafe in Bristol, (20 minute drive).
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference? How many rooms does your inn have?
We have 8 guest rooms.
Do you accept pets?
We do not accept pets.
Vermont Barn Weddings
Sleepy Hollow Inn is a beautiful place to have your unique & special Vermont Barn Wedding. Our new 17-sided Round Barn Event Center and Wedding Pavilion overlook a beautiful view of Camel’s Hump. The wedding package also includes our Inn, which can accommodate up to 24 overnight guests. Your family and friends will enjoy the lovely grounds and over 30 miles of trails. Let Sleepy Hollow set a wonderful atmosphere for your very special day!
Sleepy Hollow Wedding Facilities
- 17 sided Event Barn (similar in size and shape to the Round Church in Richmond)
- Accomodates up to 165 guests
- Open year-round (heated in winter, and air-conditioned in summer)
- The Round Barn has two bathrooms and a full kitchen
- Eight bedroom Inn can accomodate up to 24 overnight guests and a two night stay is included in the wedding package
- Our beautiful wedding pavilion is next to the Round Barn and is 40' x 40'
- It can be used for the cocktail hour and bar area or is a great place to have your wedding ceremony, should the weather not cooperate
- The Pavilion also includes a new caterer's prep. area (20' x 10' with two countertops and electrical outlets)
- Camping area with four new Leantos and a Bonfire Pit and use of bathrooms and showers in the Inn, including Butternut Cabin - a cabin with a magnificent view of Camel's Hump
- Use our gazebo for your wedding ceremony - right on the edge of our pond
- Enjoy our wood fired sauna right on our pond - it holds up to 10
- We have 877 acres of peace and quiet to enjoy and incorporate into your wedding
- Take your group biking or hiking on our large trail system
Vermont Barn Wedding Information
Please call Molly Peters- Event Coordinator at 802-434-2283 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for wedding prices.
- Package includes the whole Inn for two nights, Round Barn, Pavilion and grounds. Details of the package are included below:
- Eight guest rooms for two nights included
- Private use of the upstairs and downstairs living rooms
- Private use of the dining room
- Private use of our wood-fired sauna
- Full breakfast included for all inn guests.
- Trail passes (skiing, snowshoeing, hiking or biking) for all inn guests.
Event Barn Rental
- Private use of our Round Barn Event Center and Sleepy Hollow Inn
- Round Barn seats 165
- 40' x 40' Covered Pavilion next to the Round Barn
- Covered Catering Prep area
- Event Fee
- Use of up to 20 - 5 ft. round tables and 7- 4 ft. round tables and 190 wooden chairs.
- Use of Caterer's kitchen
- Use of two restrooms
- Side-walls and heaters for the pavilion are available for rent
- A brand new wedding gazebo for the ceremony
- Butternut Cabin available for up to 10 guests
- Campers are free (breakfast not included, can be added for an additional charge)
- 100 white wedding chairs for the ceremony
We are very excited to have your wedding at Sleepy Hollow Inn. Our goal is to make sure your visit here is fun, comfortable, and memorable. Please contact us with any questions regarding your stay. Below is a list of helpful information that every group should know about before visiting.
Wedding and Group Reservations: To confirm the reservation, a non-refundable $500 deposit is required for all wedding reservations. We can hold Sleepy Hollow Inn, Round Barn Event Center, & Wedding Pavilion for 7 days as a courtesy. We require 50% of the total bill due eight months prior to event. This deposit is non-refundable.
Wedding Set-Up, Etc.
All wedding decoration is the responsibility of the wedding party and/or caterer. We set up the tables and chairs. Round Barn Event Center and Pavilion are available for decoration/set-up 24 hours before event (11am Friday morning). It is a good habit, as well as the law, to recycle in Vermont. You must place recyclable material (glass bottles, plastic bottles, cardboard, cans, paper etc..) in the labeled recycling bins. We also provide a large garbage receptacle.
No Pets, No Smoking, No Fireworks. Due to allergy concerns, please leave Tiger or Fido at home and No Smoking within 100' of the Inn, Round Barn Event Center, or Wedding Pavilion. Please no fireworks.
We Do Not Serve Alcohol
- We do not have a liquor license. You need to either hire a caterer or bartender with a Vermont State liquor license. You may not provide alcohol to your guests. A liquor event license must be submitted to the town of Huntington at least two weeks before the event. You can email them to Huntingtonclerk@gmavt.net
- The band/DJ must be finished by 11pm and must be in the barn. You may continue the party after 11pm, it just has to be at a lower volume.
- Most wedding groups hire their own catering company for the reception. We have a great list of caterers on our Local Wedding Vendors page. If you would like to have your own rehearsal BBQ in the barn on Friday night it is an extra $250. Any other event (breakfast or lunch) in the barn is also an additional $250. We take care of cleaning the restrooms and the garbage and recycling. You would be in charge of making sure the kitchen and barn were ready for the wedding caterers the next day.
- We highly encourage recycling, composting and reusable decorations for all weddings at Sleepy Hollow. We discourage use of plastic bottled water (we have great well water here). You will be happy to know that 90% of the energy used for your wedding will be made from our new tracking solar panels! We also just installed solar hot water in the Inn. We encourage couples to donate to a carbon fund to offset the emissions from their event. Here is a great company that we recommend donations to http://www.carbonfund.org/weddings
- Please call Molly Peters- Event Coordinator at 802-434-2283 or email email@example.com for wedding prices.
Skiing and Snowshoeing at Sleepy Hollow
Nordic Skiing at Sleepy Hollow offers 35km of well-groomed trails for both classic and skate skiing. Experience Pisten Bully 100 quality grooming, complete with a tiller! The snowshoe trails are separate from the ski trails and meander through our property. We encourage all our skiers and snowshoers to visit Butternut Cabin, which overlooks a fantastic view of Camel's Hump.
When snow covers the ground, our extensive network of mountain biking trails transforms into a marked snowshoe network. Explore winter at a slower pace! The experience of a winter's day in the woods is quite peaceful and reinvigorating. Try our Yoda trail, which winds its way along a ridge
overlooking the Texas Hill valley.
Sleepy Hollow has a full line of Snowshoes available to rent. We can fit Toddlers to people with size 15 boots. All rentals come with poles for extra stability.
We offer over 20km of marked snowshoe trails, which are separate from our ski trails. View our trail map to plan your day at Sleepy Hollow! Please leave your dogs at home.
Feel like skiing after work or school? Ski the Hollow and extend the daylight hours. We have installed efficient lights around a 2 km ski loop. The terrain includes some flats for beginners, as well as some good climbs for more advanced skiers. We're open Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights from dusk - 9pm. Races are held every Wednesday night in January and February-all are welcome!
Additionally, we have a small ice-skating pond for your enjoyment. The skating pond is lighted at night. Limited ice skate rentals available as well. Call ahead to check on ice quality and whether it is shoveled.
Links to our Friends
- MSR Tubbs Atlas Snowshoes from ORS Snowshoes Direct
- Nordic Skis from ORS Cross Country Skis Direct
- Skirack (sporting goods store speciallizing in nordic skiing located in Burlington)
- Onion River Sports (sporting goods store speciallizing in nordic skiing located in Montpelier)
- NENSA (New England Nordic Ski Association)
- Fasterskier (nordic ski related website)
Mountain Biking at Sleepy Hollow
- Mountain Biking and Hiking open Sunrise - Sunset using self-pay kiosk. Maps available in the kiosk (Bike Shop open by chance)
- We no longer offer mountain bike rentals
- Helmets required
- Open from May 15th -Oct 24th - If it has been raining and the trails are too wet, we'll post right here. The weather has been dry and nice at the end of March and the beginning of April. We're still officially closed but feel free to come up and bike/run at your own risk. Donations accepted at the Kiosk
Please be mindful of wedding ceremonies here at Sleepy Hollow. Weddings are our primary business here in the summer and fall, so please be sure to be quiet and enter/exit our trails from the back of the parking lot if there is a ceremony going on (most often ceremonies are Sat. afternoon ~2-4pm). Thanks!
With a special thanks to the Fellowship of the Wheel, our mountain biking has never been better! Our specialty here at Sleepy Hollow is our intermediate and advanced single track, of which we have ~ 20km. Come bike our 5 mile Yellow loop and take a self guided tour around our trail system. Also popular is our orange Tatooine loop with it's epic burmed descent crafted by our expert trail stewards Jeff Hildebrand & Dave Kelly. Our Skywalker singletrack is probably our most biked trail, and heads up to Butternut Cabin where the view is fantastic. Yoda is very popular for our expert riders. Come for the challenge, come for the fun!
Sleepy Hollow's trail system also connects to the Hinesburg Town Forest and Carse Lands, where many miles of single track have been professionally constructed by the Fellowship Of The Wheel. The connector trail (~ 2 miles from our lodge to the entrance to the town forest trail system) is mostly downhill and challenging, but combining Sleepy Hollow's trail system with the Hinesburg Town Forest (and Carse) allows for a fantastic amount of great riding to be had. Exploring both trail systems takes at least two good days of riding for most intermediate/advanced riders.
All users of the trail system must sign in at the Sleepy Hollow Inn and pay the trail fee (FOTW members ride for free, but still must sign in). This can be done at our Kiosk in front of the bike shop during all daylight hours, or in our bike shop if we're around. FYI a hose is available to wash down your bikes, located in front of the bike shop near the stone wall.
Links to Local Bike Shops and Organizations:
- Onion River Sports
- Northstar Cyclery
- Earl's Cyclery
- Village Bike Shop - located in Richmond Village 434-4876
- Local Motion - A local bike advocacy group located on the bike path in Burington
- Fellowship of the Wheel - A local mountain bike group dedicated to building and maintaining trails in and around Chittenden County
- Good Times Cafe- (Hinesburg-15 min.) 482-4444 Great Pizza! Eli's favorite local restaurant. No credit cards accepted, so bring cash or check.
- Sonoma Station (Richmond- 15 min.) 434-5949
- Kitchen Table (Richmond- 15 min.) 434-8686
- Toscano (Richmond- 15 min.) 434-3148
- Back Door Bakery (Huntington- 5 min. away) Open Saturdays and Tuesdays
Fun activities in our area:
- Birds of Vermont Museum (Huntington- 2 min. away)
- The Valley Stage Music Festival in Huntington (Huntington -7 min. away)
- Shelburne Farms (30 min. away)
- Shelburne Museum (30 min. away)
- Vermont Teddy Bear Factory (Shelburne- 30 min. away)
- Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Factory (Waterbury- 30 minutes away)
- Downtown Burlington (35 minutes away)
- Lake Champlain Ferry/Spirit of Ethan Allen Cruise (35 minutes away)
- Stowe (downhill ski areas, toll road, hiking, shopping, etc... 45 minutes away)
- Echo Center Lake Aquarium and Science Center on the lakefront in Burlington (35 minutes)
- For more informaton on this area visit the Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce
Local Sporting Goods Stores:
Good snow tires are highly recommended when visiting Sleepy Hollow in winter, as the inn is located on a driveway with three hills. All wheel drive and four wheel drive vehicles are fine, as well.
From Interstate 89
- Take Exit 11 (Richmond)
- Take US Route 2 east to town of Richmond
- At traffic light in Richmond go right onto Bridge Street
- Follow Bridge Street through town, after crossing the bridge, the road takes a sharp right and turns into Huntington Road
- Follow Huntington Rd. for about 5 miles
- Turn right onto Sherman Hollow Road (there are also signs for Birds of Vermont Museum and Green Mountain Audubon Nature Center)
- Sleepy Hollow is 1.8 miles up Sherman Hollow Road on the left
From Hinesburg (Rt. 116)
- Take Mechanicsville Rd. (or CVU road) to Richmond-Hinesburg Rd. (towards Richmond) follow ~ 2.5 miles
- Go right on Magee Hill Rd.(this is a dirt road across from Pond Brook Rd.)
- Magee Hill road becomes Sherman Hollow Rd. at 1 mile, follow Sherman Hollow 2.5 miles to Sleepy Hollow, which is on the right
- If you miss Magee Hill Rd. You can also turn right onto Swamp Rd. Follow until it ends (1/2 mile) and then take a left onto Sherman Hollow Rd. Follow 2.5 miles and Sleepy Hollow is on your right
Distances & Times to Sleepy Hollow
- 18 miles from Burlington
- 2 hours from Montreal
- 4 hours from Boston
- 5.5 hours from New York City