Holly Hill Homestead B&B / Parkers Crossing Cabin
Table Of Contents
Holly Hill Homestead B&B / Parkers Crossing Cabin, a charming farmhouse surrounded with herb and perennial gardens, offers 1920s-style tranquility. Located in Hughes Springs, the host and hostess are well known for hospitality, offering both privacy and personal attention. Most days there are wonderful aromas of fresh baked herb bread, pies and pastries from the big country kitchen. The farmhouse is adorned with treasured antiques, each having its own story. Furnishings are to sit on and the house to be enjoyed. As one guest said, "A wonderful place to rest my body, feed my soul and sample good cooking."
Located 3 hours from Dallas, 1 hour from Shreveport and 1 hour from Texarkana.
Holly Hill's kitchen is known for its variety of foods prepared with fresh ingredients ("from scratch" as they say). Fresh, melt in your mouth herb bread and homemade pie. Enjoy a delicious B&B Country Breakfast each morning. You'll love the relaxed dining in the country kitchen or private dining on the screen porch, sun porch or out doors weather permitting. Picnic basket meals available.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Tim & Jolene Wilson for sharing their own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
People come here to get away from the busyness of fast paced life and feel like they are going to Grandmothers. The extensive gardens have been visited by folks from around the world.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
Holly Hill is best known for the food we serve, cooked from scratch. Our inn is unique because we strive to make people feel like they are family here on the farm. We love our farm house filled with turn-of-the-century antiques. A peaceful feeling overwhelms you when you start up the drive.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
Small town America with safe streets and friendly businesses. Our city logo says “Where hospitality is a habit.”
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
From a world traveler who always stays at B&B’s, “That was the best Bed & Breakfast - breakfast I have ever had”
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
Legend has it, “There is a strong box of gold buried somewhere in these here hills.” You can Google – Trammels Trace Treasure.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
Look for the gold! Visit our area lakes, state park, great local wineries, and enjoy amazing food and shopping. There are wonderful small town museums, Music City Texas Theatre, and historic Jefferson TX.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
Our rural B&B is located 4 miles east of town in the beautiful Piney Woods of Northeast Texas. Nature trails for hiking and birding attract many guests.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Within 15 minutes in Avinger TX is “Five D Steak House”, worth the wait if you don’t have reservations.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference? How many rooms does your inn have?
Our property offers two private rooms and a cabin that sleeps four.
Do you accept pets?
We do not accept pets. There is pet boarding at our local – Hughes Springs Vet Clinic.
About Holly Hill Homestead & Retreat
Holly Hill Homestead B&B / Parkers Crossing Cabin has been in operation since 2001. These 12 years have brought guests from most every state and many foreign countries. The home was originally built by a cotton farmer in the early 1920’s and rebuilt in 1978. A fifty ft. open porch welcomes guests to the front door and a glassed in sun porch offers natures view with butterfly and bird watching.
The entire house has 10’ ceilings, a double fire place, wood cook stove, claw foot tubs, and pine flooring. Lovely antiques and collections are used daily which adds to the ambiance of visiting at Grandmothers. Accommodations in the old farm house are two queen rooms and private baths. A full sized bed adds extra sleeping space and is located on the enclosed sun porch. Tucked in an alcove by the kitchen fireplace is a cozy twin bed, favored by teens and children.
In the spring of 2012, Parkers Crossing Cabin was added to the property. This lofted cabin offers a private queen bedroom and a queen in the loft, barn tin ceiling and shower, aspen walls, native cedar staircase and crepe myrtle wood hand railing.
Renowned herb and perennial gardens encircle the house and buildings atop Holly Hill. A garden walk takes guests to visit the resident chickens and farm animals. This B&B is located within the triangle of Dallas TX, Texarkana TX, and Shreveport LA, with easy access from I-20 and I-30. Learn more at hollyhillhomestead.com, Facebook, Trip Advisor, Google and “Atop Holly Hill” blog.
Herbs & Gardens
Holly Hill Homestead B&B / Parkers Crossing Cabin we love to garden. You’ll find a wide variety of herbs, fruits, vegetables, flowers and trees. It is with great pleasure that we serve gourmet meals made with our own produce whenever possible.
Take an educational garden tour, or wander the grounds and trails enjoying the wonderful gifts of nature by yourself. These gardens have attracted international visitors for over 30 years, including travelers from China, Africa, Australia and England. At one time over 400 species of native plants, herbs and perennials were identified on Holly Hill. Many of our garden plants are indigenous to the Piney Woods region but the collection of tropical plants is also fun and interesting. As a result of lush plant life, wildlife is in abundance. At any given time you may see many species of birds, butterflies and much more.
Unfortunately much was lost during a tornado in the fall of 2009. Most of what was shade gardens is now transforming into lush and beautiful sun beds. The restored gardens will include a Spring Walk, Children’s Garden, Memorial Garden and a Red Autumn Walk. Follow our blog as we write about building back the beauty for which Holly Hill is known.
We invite you to browse the index of Herbs and Other Plants. This is a “then and now” list of what grows at Holly Hill. Come relax and get lost in nature at Holly Hill Homestead Bed and Breakfast.
Educational Garden Tours
- B&B guest garden tour - $5 per person
- Other visitors - $10 per person
- Call for group rates
We offer our guests a full breakfast and prefer discussing menu options with you. We like to take special note of likes, dislikes and dietary restrictions. Choosing from one of these categories will help us prepare a breakfast that is sure to please.
Big Country Breakfast – Eggs, bacon, sausage, omelets, biscuits, pancakes, etc. You might ask about Tim’s Special Omelet
Country Gourmet Breakfast – Quiche, pastries, muffins, egg dishes, scones, etc. Our signature entrée is Banana/Lime Crepes
Light and Healthy Breakfast – Yogurt, fruit, whole grain muffins, low fat egg dishes, etc. Our specialty muffin is East TX Blueberry w/ Crumb topping
Additional Meals by reservation only: Food from the Holly Hill kitchen is ‘from scratch’ as they say and we take pride in the use of seasonal fresh fruit, vegetables and herbs from our gardens, East Texas orchards and farmers markets. Most requested items are the Holly Hill Herb Bread and our Poppy Seed Dressing. Our prices do not include tax and gratuity.
- Fiesta Salad: a large plate of baby greens, grilled chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, and fresh baked tortilla chips and cheese topped with our own Poppy Seed Dressing
- Soup and Sandwich Plate: seasonal soups and sandwiches, made from fresh ingredients and served on homemade bread
- Special of the Week: when booking your lunch, ask about our special offers
- Desserts are cook's choice which occasionally could be your choice
- $12 per person, includes dessert, tea and coffee
Enjoy ‘Private Country Gourmet Dining’ at its best; includes fresh salad, homemade bread, two sides, entrée, dessert, tea and coffee.
Please call to discuss dinner menu options. $25 per person
Picnic Baskets for Two
We offer a basket for two including deli sandwiches on homemade bread, salad, appetizers, cheese & fruit. Cookies or brownies and tea or lemonade in an old fruit jar make this meal enticing.
Your picnic lunch can be packed in our vintage basket complete with table cloth and napkins. If you are taking your meal upon check out, provide your own carrier. $30 per basket
Traveling from Dallas
- Travel East on I-30 to Mt. Pleasant
- Exit Hwy 271 and continue on 271 loop around city
- Take Hwy 49, Southeast to Daingerfield, then Hwy 11 East to Hughes Springs, follow directions below from Hughes Springs
Traveling from Texarkana
- Exit I-30 on Hwy 59 South to Atlanta then on to Linden and follow directions below from Linden
Traveling from Shreveport
- Travel West on I-20 and exit either Hwy 80 or Hwy 59 to Marshall
- Travel North to Jefferson on Hwy 59
- Turn left on Hwy 49 to Avinger and continue on to Hughes Springs on Hwy 49
- At the Wildflower Inn turn right and follow the directions below from Hughes Springs
Traveling from Longview
- Travel North on Hwy 259 to Lone star
- Turn right on FM 250 to Hughes Springs (do not turn left at the Y, continue East on FM 2612 to Hwy 11) you will cross the railroad tracks and come to a four way blinking red light
- Continue straight across towards Linden on Hwy 11 East, following directions below from the Wildflower Inn
Traveling from Hughes Springs
- At the Wildflower Inn and blinking red light (junction of Hwy 11, Hwy 49 and FM2612) travel East four miles on Hwy 11 towards Linden
- As you are nearing four miles watch for the CR 2993 sign
- Holly Hill Homestead is just another 1/8 mile
- The entrance to Holly Hill Homestead is on the left with a white mailbox and white sign.
Traveling from Linden
- From Hwy 59, exit on 155 then immediately on Hwy 8 North
- At the next stop sign turn left onto Hwy 11 towards Hughes Springs and travel 9 miles
- After you cross a set of three concrete bridges, travel approx. another mile
- The entrance to Holly Hill Homestead is on the right with a white mailbox and white sign