The Schandua Suite Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
Built in 1897 on an original townlot deeded by the German Emigration Company, The Schandua Building, made of hand-hewn native limestone, is one of the most recognizable landmark buildings on Main Street in Fredericksburg, Texas. This important property has been designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark and stands within the Fredericksburg National Historic District.
For several generations the upstairs rooms served as a residence for the family who operated a hardware store downstairs. Today, The Schandua Suite occupies a portion of the original upstairs residence.
No place in Fredericksburg brings you closer to history. The Schandua Suite is located in the very heart of this quaint German community. Outside your door lie exquisite shops, world-class dining, and historic museums. You are within walking distance of it all! Capture the true Fredericksburg experience--make a date with history at the sophisticated and exclusive Schandua Suite Bed and Breakfast. Gourmet dining at the Bejas Restaurant just next door. Be sure to visit our shops downstairs, Rebecca's and Just Between Us.
The 1340-sq.ft. two-room suite has 12-foot ceilings with crown molding and offers every imaginable amenity.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Sharla Godfrey for sharing her own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Guests stay with us because they want a luxury accommodation, our location, the décor, and the privacy.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
We are best known for elegance and little “extra touches.” What makes us unique is our location and the quiet comfort afforded our guests. What we love the most is the suite’s ambience, privacy, and location.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
The #1 reason to come to Fredericksburg is for shopping and soaking up the German heritage of the town.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
Among our best compliments was “You have thought of everything.”
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
Fredericksburg's best kept secret is how friendly and unhurried the atmosphere is here.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
Guests staying for more than a couple of nights should shop, hike Enchanted Rock, visit the many wineries and the Nimitz Museum, listen to music, dance at Luckenbach, and attend the famous Rock Box Theater.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
Within walking distance of our inn is shopping galore, as well as restaurants and museums. We are in the heart of the shopping and historic district of Fredericksburg.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Our favorite restaurants include Navajo Grill, Vaudeville, and August E.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference?
The Fredericksburg Chamber of Commerce/CVB website - fredericksburg-texas.com/ is a great place to start.
How many rooms does your inn have?
We have only 1 suite.
Do you accept pets?
We do not accept pets, but we know of an excellent boarding facility here.
- Admiral Nimitz Museum (2 blocks east on Main St.)
- LBJ State and National Park (16 miles east of Fredericksburg)
- Enchanted Rock (17 miles north of Fredericksburg)
- Local Vineyards (all around us)
- The Beautiful Texas Hill Country (We're right in the center of it!)
- "An oasis in the heart of the central shopping district.."
- "Excellent accommodations--we loved every minute.."
- "Everything was perfect...everything we hoped for and more!"
- "Class all the way..."
- "Elegance at its best!"
- "Wonderful hospitality with all the personal touches."
- "First class! Thanks for all the personal touches!"
- "Beyond our greatest expectations..."
- "The Four Seasons has nothing on the Schandua Suite..."
- "If we designed our own retreat, this would be it. Wonderful!"
Once in Fredericksburg, from Main Street (Highway 290)
- Turn south on Llano Street
- Go 1/2 block
- On the left pass Pasta Bella Restaurant and just before the Antique Haus, turn into the driveway
- Park in the marked space at the end of the drive
- Enter the property through the garage to your left
- Press the buzzer on the right side of the garage door to let us know you're here
- 71 miles northwest of San Antonio
- 80 miles west of Austin
- 235 miles northwest of Houston
- 246 miles southwest of Dallas/Ft. Worth