Table Of Contents
2015 & 2014 Travelers' Choice Award Winner.TripAdvisor announced Bloomsbury Inn is # 12 of the top 25 bed and breakfasts in the Nation,of an estimated 17,000 properties.
- Southern hospitality, gourmet breakfasts made with fresh/local products
- Complimentary socials
- A walk through history with us
- Few Bed and Breakfasts can match the personal attention, intimate atmosphere, and concierge service which guests receive
Southern Living recommended Bloomsbury: "An Inn To Remember. Revel in the hospitality and beauty...Breakfast sets a cheerful note for each day. Go ahead. Give Bloomsbury Inn a white glove inspection. It will pass your test and then some..."
- Built in 1849 by James Chesnut, Sr. and Mary Cox Chesnut
- Located in the heart of the Camden historic district in South Carolina
- The oversized rooms, with 13 foot ceilings, feature queen and king beds, private baths with 1930 Italian tiles, and sitting areas
- Located on two acres of manicured grounds
- Several garden sitting areas and a wrap-around veranda
Bloomsbury is a Select Registry property. What does that mean to you: quality, unannounced third party inspections, delicious breakfasts, total attention to detail, the best bed and breakfast stay in the United States, peaceful, relaxing comfort designed just for you.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Bruce and Katherine Brown for sharing their own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
We are a small luxury, award-winning property with excellent reviews. When people want the best they find us.
What are you best known for?
History and hospitality.
What makes your inn unique?
Mary Boykin Chesnut slept here.
What do you love most about your inn?
The guests who visit us! We live where history was made and is made on a daily basis.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
Horses, history, and hospitality. We grab life one tourist at a time to ensure that each visitor has a unique and enjoyable visit.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
"We have never visited a bed and breakfast that is so perfect...lodging, dining, tours...."
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
Our history-rich community welcomes everyone: the horseman, the revolutionary war re-enactor, the foodie, the genealogy enthusiast, the seeker of Southern living.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
- Gardens of Pearl Fryer
- Revolutionary War Park
- Steeplechase and Achieve Museums
- Largest Tack Room on the East coast
- Carolina Sports Park
- Horse-drawn carriage tour
- South Carolina Equine Park
- 20+ antique shops
- Goodall State Park
- Quaker Cemetery
- Historic driving tour of over 40 antebellum homes or a driving tour of horse county
- Boykin Grist Mill and the Broom Shop
- Sit on the front veranda and rock away their cares
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
Bloomsbury is one mile from the center of our historic downtown area; one block from a beautiful park with full tennis courts.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Camden features some great places to dine, our favorite two are fine dining at Boykin Millpond, aged beef and fresh seafood, served in beautifully restored pre-Civil War building that faces a 400+ acre wildlife preserve; and iSalud, locally owned casual Mexican Kitchen and Tequila Bar -- all of the food is made fresh and there are over 200 Tequilas on the bar back.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference? How many rooms does your inn have?
We have four luxury rooms.
Do you accept pets?
We love pets, but our property is not designed for visiting pets. We do recommend alternatives to those needing assistance. And, our Inn Cat, Miss Kitty Stray, is always present to welcome guests and to offer cat petting as she desires.
Meet the Innkeepers
Katherine Lemay Brown, Colonel, USAF retired, is a 25 year career military officer with over 17 years experience in the protocol/hospitality service industry. She has served as the director of protocol for four four-star general officers and as a protocol officer to two other four-star general officers. Katherine Brown is a graduate of the Washington School of Protocol, and is a certified protocol/civility instructor.
Dr. Bruce Brown, Colonel, USAF retired is a 26-year career military officer. He has served on three four-star staffs as a special assistant and aide de camp. Highlights of his career include serving as a negotiator and editor of the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START I) and as Commander of the 15th Wing at Hickam Air Force Base Hawaii.
The Browns have enjoyed living around the world and their innkeeping-style reflects the best of their experiences. From the moment Katherine set foot in the front foyer of Bloomsbury, she knew they were home.
Breakfast is an experience all unto itself
- Locally roasted, signature blend coffee
- Farm fresh eggs
- All homemade breads
- Homemade jams/jellies
The two to three course breakfast is served in the formal dining room with each morning alternating savory and sweet entrees. Just imagine, Gingered Orange Juice, Fresh Hot Coffee, Seasonal Fruit Soup, Biscuits from Grandmother's iron skillet, and Bloomsbury Eggs Divine with Peppered Praline Bacon.
Breakfast is freshly prepared for each guest. You will be asked what hour you prefer for your seating. Breakfast is normally served between 8:00-9:00 am; but times can be adjusted to meet your schedule.
- Wireless High-speed Internet
- Large guest rooms with sitting areas and all-season fireplaces
- Only private baths
- Individual room temperature controls for central heat and air, and ceiling fans
- Television with over 70 cable channels
- Writing surfaces/desks
- Hair dryers, alarm clocks, umbrellas
- Iron and ironing board, spray starch, and static cling spray
- Custom amenities (soaps, oils, lotions)
- Full gourmet breakfast served in the dining room or on the wrap around porch
- Hot Tea and Coffee always available
- Large common areas and grounds
- Off-street parking
- Four blocks from downtown historic Camden
- Local attractions, great dining recommendations, maps and information
- Free cat petting as she desires - Miss Kitty Stray lives on the front verandah (she is not allowed in the Inn) and loves guests
- Concierge Service
- Southern hospitality served with fresh baked cookies
TripAdvisor named Bloomsbury Inn one of the top 25 bed and breakfasts of an estimated 17,000 in the nation. 2014 and 2015!
"Oh what a beautiful Breakfast. A beautifully set breakfast/brunch table is perfect for entertaining guests, hosting a business meeting, introducing students to the art of dining, celebrating a special occasion or just to enjoy! At your next fête, include these scrumptious poached pears with creamed stuffing, courtesy Bloomsbury Inn, in Camden." --March 2013, Carolina Living Magazine
"Past Perfect. Camden's Bloomsbury Inn is an elegant journey to the 19th century. In a town known for its rich history, Bloomsbury is the ideal place to stay...getaway. Set off by two acres of live oaks, camellias, and azeleas, the house takes its name Mary's childhood home." --January 2013, TOWN Magazine
"We noticed that Bloomsbury Inn has been ranked as one of the top ten bed and breakfasts in the nation (more than once) -- CONGRATULATIONS!" --August-September 2012, Mary Janes Farm Magazine
Bloomsbury Gift Certificates may be acquired by contacting the Inn, 803.432.5858. We offer Bloomsbury gift certificates in $25.00 increments, sold and utilized at face value.
We honor the South Carolina Bed and Breakfast gift certificates. These are acquired by contacting the association