The Garden House Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
Welcome to The Garden House Bed & Breakfast, in Manchester, Pennsylvania, located 5 miles north from the city of York. We offer the perfect respite from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Hosts Paul and Loretta Simmons will do everything possible to see that your stay is pleasant and memorable yet ensuring your privacy.
Our small, intimate, and charming inn is decorated in an eclectic, country-garden style with period antiques, creating a cottage motif and allowing guests to relax and feel like they have escaped to the country for a weekend. Guests will appreciate the sitting rooms, parlor, the wrap around front porch, and the garden.
Each morning, you will enjoy a delicious gourmet, healthy breakfast, featuring country- and European-style selections. We use organic and local ingredients whenever possible, leaving you feeling pleasantly satisfied. Please let us know in advance if you have any dietary needs or restrictions and we will do our best to accommodate them. Then delight in a terrific day of sightseeing in picturesque York County with many antique shops, farmer markets,and outlet malls only 30 minutes away.
During your stay, you are welcome to arrange for afternoon tea.
Paul is originally from England, where he managed a popular English pub called The Black Horse. Loretta, originally from Italy, received her chef training by working in her family's fine restaurant, "Calise," on the beautiful island of Ischia in southern Italy.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Paul and Loretta Calise-Simmons for sharing their secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
We are a great value, lower priced than most inns in the area plus most of our guests say they really enjoy our casual hospitality.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
Both my husband and I have traveled extensively so we truly relate with our guests in understanding and in providing to their needs.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
We are five miles north of York, PA, about 20 minutes drive. We get many guests who come into town for the many events at the York Fairgrounds.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
They have written that they loved their room, our breakfast and us.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
We are truly centrally located right in the middle of Gettysburg, Lancaster, Baltimore, MD, Harrisburg, and Hershey.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
There is a great variety of things to do depending on what the guest enjoys.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
Yes, several pizza parlors, small town walks.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Many fine restaurants. Conewago Inn is three miles with a great variety of food offered. Also, Manchester Family Diner is within walking distance.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference?
Our website has a good list of attractions around the area.
How many rooms does your inn have?
We have three rooms.
Do you accept pets?
Yes, we have just started accepting pets and are enjoying them immensely.
We are registered on the National Wildlife Federation as a small city Wildlife Habitat Garden. We are committed to maintaining our home and garden using eco-friendly techinques by:
- serving organic food whenever possible
- using no chemicals and only organic fertilizers in our flower beds, lawn or vegetable garden.
- providing food, shelter and water for birds that visit our feeders
- planting native trees, shrubs and flowers to attract butterflies and bees
- recycling and conserving water and energy
The Garden House Bed & Breakfast is a unique experience with a touch of European hospitality. Come, relax and enjoy!
- Family Heir-Loom Weavers Inc
- Harley-Davidson Motor Co
- Hershey's Chocolate World
- Maize Quest - The Cornfield Maze Adventure
- Perrydell Farm Dairy
- Police Heritage Museum, Inc
- Columbia Pa Antique Center
- The Crayola Factory
- Scenic Susquehanna River
- Wolfgang Candy Co Inc.
- Central Market House
- Roots Farm Market and Auction
- Ski Round Top
How to Find Us
From I-83 north
- Take exit 22, N. George Street, Rt.181
- Follow sign to Manchester (4 miles)
- Turn right on Rt.921 east, Maple Street
- Continue on for approx. 1/2 mile. to trafic light at Hartman St.
- The Garden House will be on the left at the junction of Hartman Street. and Maple St.
- Turn left onto Hartman Street and left again by the white carriage barn, left into parking area
From I-83 south
- Take exit 24, Emigsville, Rt.238
- At traffic signal turn left and proceed approximately, 1/2 mile to junction N. George St., Rt.181.
- Turn left onto N. George St. (Rt.181 North)
- Turn right on Rt. 921 East, Maple St.
- Continue on for approx. 1/2 mile to trafic light at Hartman St.
- The Garden House will be on the left at the junction of Hartman St. and Maple St.
- Turn left onto Hartman St. and left again by the white carriage barn, left into parking area