Historic Smithton Inn
Table Of Contents
Welcome to the Historic Smithton Inn, where historic charm combines with modern comfort and convenience, for an experience you won't soon forget.
Located in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country, our bed and breakfast in Ephrata, PA is ideally situated to explore the multitude of attractions that Lancaster County has to offer. At the Smithton, we offer the amenities you expect from a hotel, like spacious rooms, flat-screen TVs, Wi-Fi, and iPod docking stations; then we exceed expectations by having working fireplaces, DVD players, mini-fridges, hand-sewn quilts, and complimentary snacks and bottled water in each guest room. You'll also love sitting on our front porch rockers and watching the buggies pass by or enjoying an evening fire on the back patio.
We are happy to help you plan the perfect Lancaster County vacation to suit YOU! We can provide you with a map to covered bridges or the best driving routes to see Amish farms and culture. We also have plenty of suggestions for museums, theaters, festivals, wine tours, farmers markets, historic sites, concerts, amusements, nature hikes...the list goes on... I guarantee that you'll run out of gas before we run out of things for you to do!
Our guests rave about our breakfasts, so be sure to arrive with an appetite for delicious homemade cuisine. You'll wake up to the aroma of freshly baked goods. Breakfast is served at your convenience, between 8:00 and 10:00 am, earlier by prior arrangement. On our handcrafted break-front, you'll find our signature Smithton Granola, homemade and organic yogurt, fresh fruit, homemade muffins or breads, and our signature Italian herb bread. Also on hand are an assortment of juices, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. Once you've whet your appetite, we'll deliver your plated meal, which alternates between sweet and savory dishes each day (or you can choose eggs to order instead). Some regular items on the menu include Baked Eggs in a Ham Cup served with Three-Cheese Polenta, Baked French Toast Topped with Apples and a side of thick-cut bacon, Mediterranean Breakfast Strada with Roasted Potatoes, or a Fresh Berry Puffed Pancake with local sausage. Rebecca loves to experiment, so you may get to taste-test something new, and with your approval, it could become part of the regular 'rotation.' We haven't had a rejection yet!!
If you're looking for special touches or activities during your stay, we can help you out there too. We can arrange an in-room couple's massage or make reservations for you at one of our wonderful local restaurants. We also have packages (or you can create your own) to help you celebrate special occasions.
We are located in northeastern Lancaster County, in the historic borough of Ephrata, just minutes from the Ephrata Cloister and the Green Dragon Farmers Market. We are a close drive to Lititz, Hershey, Lancaster, Bird-In-Hand, and Intercourse, and just 1.5 hours from Philadelphia, Valley Forge, and Gettysburg. Whether you're looking for a romantic getaway or an active vacation full of sightseeing and attractions, the Smithton Inn will be a welcoming oasis from everyday life, one that you'll want to visit again and again.
Escape to Our Bed and Breakfast in Pennsylvania's Amish Country. Come away to the Smithton Inn and enjoy a time of rest and relaxation in Lancaster.
Our B&B offers all of the amenities you would expect to find at a hotel and then takes a step beyond that to give you an extraordinary getaway that you will not forget.
- A bountiful breakfast buffet each morning
- Flat-screen TV/DVD players
- Scrumptious, freshly baked cookies
- Wireless Internet access and free local telephone calls
- Concierge and activity recommendations and planning
- 4:00 p.m. check-in and 11:00 am check-out
- Movies, books, and games available to borrow at the front desk
- Easily forgotten toiletry items, (toothbrush, shaving cream, sewing kits, etc) available at front desk
- Off-Street parking
- Personally controlled heat/ac in each room
Each of our well-appointed guestrooms feature:
- A pillow-top bed appointed with fine linens and heaped with pillows
- A working fireplace and sitting area with desk
- A private bathroom, some with jetted spa tub and shower
- A travel set of shampoo, conditioner, bar soap, and lotion
- Spa-quality towels and robes
- A beautiful and thoughtfully designed decor
- Alarm clock/radio, hairdryer, iron, and ironing board
(Please review the room description for specific details about each room)
The following services and items are available for purchase:
- One pet-friendly guestroom is available for an additional charge. Click here for more information.
- Breakfast delivered to your guestroom ($10 per day)
- Breakfast 'on the go' basket for active tourists with no time for a sit-down breakfast ($10 per day)
- Rates are based on two guests per room. Additional guests ($25)
- Long distance, faxing, printing, or other business services (price varies)
We know that one of the best things about staying in a Bed and Breakfast is the BREAKFAST! A typical breakfast at the Smithton Inn includes Colombian coffee & a collection of teas, our signature juice blend & fresh orange juice, a fruit dish, scrumptious Inn baked muffins and breads, signature homemade granola, and a hot entree such as Cinnamon Apple Baked French Toast, Baked Eggs in a Ham Cup, Sausage and Cheese Mini-Frittatas, Bananas Foster Pancakes, Italian Crustless Quiche or Strawberry Amaretto Stuffed French Toast.
Special Dietary Needs
We are pleased to accommodate the dietary needs of all guests. If you have a special need, notify us at the time of your reservation so that we can prepare and be sure to have the necessary ingredients on hand. We have a variety of recipes for many special diets, and often have created special breakfasts for:
- low-carb diets
- low-cholesterol diets
- Celiac diets (gluten-free or wheat-free)
- food allergies (nuts, strawberries, eggs, cheese, shellfish, etc.)
- lactose-intolerant diets
- vegetarian diets (including ovo-lacto, lacto, ovo, and vegan)
Let us know about your own dietary requirements, and we will happily create a breakfast you can enjoy!
Fresh / Local Products
Lancaster County farmers are well known for producing some of the best foods in the country, and we LOVE to cook them up for you. Whenever possible, we purchase our food products from local growers and producers, here's a list of a few of our favorites:
- Kreider Farms (milk, eggs, butter)
- Martin's Eggs
- Shady Maple Sausage & bacon
- September Farms Cheese
- Village Shop Jams
- Intercourse Canning Company Jams
- Sensenig Turkey Sausage
- Local farms for fruits and vegetables, typically purchased at Green Dragon Market, Roots Market or Central Market
- Nolt Flour
Weddings, Events, & Gatherings in Lancaster County
The Historic Smithton Inn is a wonderful, unique, "historic-hip" venue for weddings, special events, and gatherings.
From girls' weekend getaways to weddings and parties, you can host a memorable event without all the stress right here in Lancaster County, PA! FOOD MUST BE CATERED BY AN APPROVED CATERER. Contact us for pricing.
WEDDINGS - We can host small intimate weddings or elopements. Customized events are possible, or choose from one of our pre-planned packages:
Wedding for Two: Includes a personalized ceremony for the bride and groom with an officiant, bridal bouquet and groom's boutonniere, one-night stay in one of our most romantic rooms (Crimson Dove Suite or Tailor's Cottage), a bottle of nice "champagne" or white wine, wedding cake for 2, and a gourmet breakfast. This includes the use of our common rooms for 2 hours.
Wedding for a Few: Includes all the features of the above package as well as a photographer, lovely cake and hors d'oeuvres reception for up to 6 people. Additional guests may be added for an extra fee.
SHOWERS - Invite up to 25 people for a relaxing upscale bridal or baby shower. Get two or three friends to help host the event. We do the work, you cherish the memory! Choose from a morning brunch 10am-noon, afternoon fare 2-4 pm, or evening reception 3-5pm event.
LUNCHEONS - Host a club event, honor the bride-to-be, or gather your friends for a special lunch that features traditional Pennsylvania Dutch hospitality in a historic venue.
OUTDOOR EVENTS - The Historic Smithton Inn is a great place to host memorable receptions and exceptional gatherings in our lovely half-acre back garden. Our patio can be used for small events, or hire a tent for larger gatherings. The venue is perfect for family reunions, annual club picnics, and corporate events.
GIRLFRIENDS' GETAWAY - Get your friends together for either a weekend or weekday break for scrapbooking, quilting, sewing, painting, antiquing, spa treatment, or just hanging out! Call or e-mail for price quotes to plan your special time away.
GUY FRIEND GETAWAY - Why should women be the only ones who have fun getaways?! Gather up your best buds together for a long weekend (or weekdays) of golf, pub crawls, ball games, or watching sporting events (you get the remote all to yourself!)! Call or e-mail for price quotes to plan your escape.
With Rental of the Whole Inn, the following are available:
DINNERS OR SPECIAL FEASTS (including holidays!) - We can seat up to 14 guests comfortably for plated, upscale meals. Great for wedding rehearsal dinners, company board meetings, birthday galas, anniversary celebrations, once-in-a-lifetime events.
SPECIAL OCCASION EVENING RECEPTIONS (ENGAGEMENT, ANNIVERSARY, RETIREMENT, BIRTHDAY, GRADUATION... YOU GET THE PICTURE) - A great way for up to 50 guests to drop by and honor that special couple, individual, or group. We do all the work-set-up, serve, and clean-up. A wonderful way to say "we care."
WINE TASTING DINNER / RECEPTION - Make your event extra special by bringing in a wine expert to teach you about the special wines paired with each course of your meal. We can do this as an enhancement to a sit-down dinner or a larger reception.
BUSINESS RETREATS OR OFFICE MEETINGS - Bring your team (up to 14) to our B&B for a productive getaway, where you can focus on business without all those pesky office distractions. Get the creative juices flowing while rejuvenating your staff! A great way to reward your employees and chart your company's course for the future. Food, beverages, and snacks available.
Amish Country Attractions In & Around Lancaster County, PA
One of the highlights of staying at the Historic Smithton Inn is the opportunity to see and experience many of the great things to do in the area.
With so many options in Pennsylvania Dutch Country, deciding what to do can be an overwhelming task. Below we have listed some of our favorite activities, sites, and attractions.
General Area Links:
- PA Dutch Country Welcome Center: http://www.800padutch.com/
- Lancaster County Visitor Center: http://www.padutchcountry.com/
- Ephrata Chamber of Commerce: http://www.ephrata-area.org/
- Lititz: http://www.lititzpa.com
- Gettysburg: www.gettysburg.travel/index.asp
- Hershey / Harrisburg: www.hersheyharrisburg.org
- Valley Forge: www.valleyforge.org
- The Amish Village: http://www.amishvillagestore.com
- Amish Farm and House: http://www.amishfarmandhouse.com
- Aaron & Jessica's Buggy Rides: http://www.amishbuggyrides.com
- Abe's Buggy Rides: www.abesbuggyrides.com
- Mennonite Information Center: http://www.mennoniteinfoctr.com
- The Amish Experience at Plain & Fancy: http://www.amishexperience.com
- Adamstown Antiques: http://www.antiquescapital.com
- Green Dragon Farmers Market: http://www.greendragonmarket.com
- Ten Thousand Villages: http://www.ephratatenthousandvillages.com
- Eldreth Pottery: http://www.eldrethpottery.com
- Tanger Outlets: www.tangeroutlet.com/lancaster
- Rockvale Outlets: http://www.rockvalesquareoutlets.com
- Kitchen Kettle Village: http://www.kitchenkettle.com
History, Museums, & Theater:
- Ephrata Cloister: http://www.ephratacloister.org
- Hans Herr House: www.hansherr.org
- Cornwall Furnace: www.cornwallironfurnace.org
- Lancaster Quilt & Textile Museum: www.quiltandtextilemuseum.com
- Landis Valley Museum: http://www.landisvalleymuseum.org
- Ephrata Main Theater (Movies & Concerts): http://ephratamain.com
- Ephrata Performing Arts Center: http://www.ephrataplayhouseinthepark.org/
- American Music Theater: http://www.amtshows.com
- Fulton Theater: http://www.thefulton.org
- Hershey Theater: http://www.hersheytheatre.com
- Hershey Park: http://hersheypa.com
- Dutch Wonderland: http://www.dutchwonderland.com
- Make A Friend Workshop: http://www.makeafriendworkshop.com/
- Strasburg Railroad: http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/
- Cherry Crest Adventure Farm: www.cherrycrestadventurefarm.com
- Kreider Farm Tours: www.kreiderfarms.com
Sports & Outdoors:
- Lancaster Barnstormers: http://lancasterbarnstormers.com/index.cfm
- Hot Air Balloon Rides: http://www.ushotairballoon.com/
- Cycling: http://www.lancasterbikeclub.org/scenictours.php
- Covered Bridge Tours: http://www.co.lancaster.pa.us/lanco/cwp/view.asp?a=15&Q=257029
- County Parks and Trails: http://www.co.lancaster.pa.us/parks/cwp/view.asp?a=676&q=520523
- Canoeing and Kayaking the Conestoga River: http://www.co.lancaster.pa.us/parks/cwp/view.asp?a=3&Q=564665&PM=1
- Longwood Gardens: http://www.longwoodgardens.org/
Wineries & Breweries:
- Nissley Winery: http://www.nissleywine.com
- Twin Brook Winery: http://twinbrookwinery.com
- Lancaster County Winery: http://www.lancastercountywinery.com/
- Stoudts: http://www.stoudtsbeer.com/brewery.html
- Lancaster Brewing Company: http://www.lancasterbrewing.com
- Springhouse Brewing Company: http://www.springhousebeer.com
- Union Barrel Works: http://www.unionbarrelworks.com/
- Bube's Brewery: www.bubesbrewery.com
- Waltz Vineyard: http://waltzvineyards.com
The Smithton Inn is located on Main Street (US 322) at the junction of South Academy Drive in the borough of Ephrata near Lancaster, PA.
At our bed and breakfast, we offer lodging that combines historic charm with modern comfort and convenience. Our goal is to make your stay here in Lancaster County. Visit our Specials page where you will find everything you need to add that extra special touch to your time with us.
From the PA Turnpike:
Take Exit 286 and follow Route 222 South to the Ephrata Exit; turn right on US 322 West. Travel approximately four miles through Ephrata. Drive under PA 272 and continue to the traffic light at South Academy Drive. Take a left at the light, then a right into our parking lot.
Travel North on Route 222 to the Ephrata Exit; turn left on US 322 West. Travel approximately four miles through Ephrata. Drive under PA 272 and continue to the traffic light at South Academy Drive. Take a left at the light, then a right into our parking lot.