Table Of Contents
Welcome to College House B&B! Ashland, Ohio's Newest Bed and Breakfast
When not relaxing in your room, enjoy our spacious common areas. Play a game or do a puzzle by the fire in the Dining/Sitting Room. Hold a private conversation in the Library. Enjoy a book in our Screened-in Patio while your children enjoy our fenced-in backyard with toddler play area. Hide out in our cozy Smoking Salon.
Our home is a spacious Colonial Revival American Foursquare. This truly American house style developed in part as a reaction to the excesses of the Victorian era, and featured plain, efficiently laid out floor plans. Our Foursquare was built around 1910 and featured closets and large windows in a relatively compact cube. While most Foursquare homes have a large porch covering the entire front of the house, ours was substantially renovated in 1951 to become a "Colonial Revivial" style Foursquare house. Instead of a large covered porch we have a smaller porch, almost a stoop, with wrought iron railings. The color scheme is white with black shutters, with other "colonial" touches inside.
Since buying the house in 2006 we have installed a new siding, roof, and gutters, blown-in insulation, and put in all new windows. The garage has also gotten new roof, siding, and gutters. Inside the house we've added central air conditioning, refinished the hardwood floors, painted all the walls and trim, and updated electrical wiring. In addition, we have reconfigured a hallway, updated the patio, and completely renovated the bathroom for the first floor Music Department guest room (opened July 2007). The third floor has been completely renovated to create the Art Department guest room (opened October 2007). On the second floor one bathroom became two, giving the English Department guest room (opened June 2008) a spacious whirlpool tub, and by adding a door in the hallway the History Department guest room (opened June 2008) has gained a private bathroom with a shower.
New for 2011 - Corporate Rates!! $99/night, single occupancy only, Sunday thru Thursday. Be sure to ask Kathy for this discount or she may forget to give it to you!
Prepare to eat hearty while staying here in Ashland. Wake each morning to a filling homemade breakfast with fruit, entrée, and side dish. Enjoy unlimited beverages, with bottled water, coffee, tea and hot chocolate available any time of day, as well as homemade cookies and other goodies.
Bring your laptop and stay in touch via our wireless internet. All guest rooms have cable TV, and there are videos available for the kids to watch. Guest rooms have keypad entries for security. Forgot something? Help yourself to a replacement from our amenity basket.
We care about the environment, and have taken steps to operate in a eco friendly manner. Some of our efforts include:
- Recycling glass, plastic, paper, cardboard, and metal
- Use of compact flourescent light bulbs as possible
- Installation of a high-efficiency furnace and heat pump
- Installation of a high-efficiency/less water washer and dryer
- Using soap dispensers instead of individual plastic bottles
- Using distilled water dispensers instead of individual plastic bottles
- Promoting the reuse of towels
Visit our Ashland Ohio Attractions
- U-Pick Orchards, Fall Festivals, and Family-Friendly activites
- There are some wonderful U-Pick orchards within 20 minutes of College House B&B.
- Honey Haven Farm: They have their Fall Festival every weekend in October.
- Scenic Ridge Fruit Farm: Apple festival last weekend of September and first two weekends of October.
- Prairie Peddler October 1 & 2, and October 8 & 9, 2011, in Butler, Ohio
- Ashland University ~ 401 College Avenue, Ashland, 419/289-4142. Art Gallery, athletic events, frequent concerts.
- Are you a music lover? We will soon be updating the 2011-12 event schedule at Ashland University
- Ashland Theological Seminary ~ 910 Center Street, Ashland, 419/289-5161. Prayer garden, seminars, lectures.
- Ashland Ohio City Parks ~ Parks here in town with baseball fields, tennis courts, playgrounds, etc. Brookside Park, our largest city park features the Myers Band Shell with free concerts in the summer, as well as golf, mini-golf, tennis, and a public pool. Free concert schedule.
- Ashland Visitors Bureau ~ Absolutely Ashland County website with Calendar of Events and other local information.