Camellia Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Table Of Contents
Welcome to Camellia Cottage Bed and Breakfast. Once the home of prominent Wilmington artist, Henry J. MacMillan, Camellia Cottage is a high-peaked Queen Anne shingle home built in 1889. It stands on a quaint, brick paved street in the heart of the nation's largest urban historic district, where church bells and the music of old Wilmington still greet the day. A wide veranda, hand-painted by a local artist, is the perfect place to sit and enjoy our lush perennial garden. Filled with azaleas, magnolias, ferns, roses and some forty camellia bushes, something will be blooming all year long.
Colors abound in the unique and comfortable guest rooms, the eclectic dining and living areas filled with treasures and the perennial garden surrounding our home with vibrant camellias, palms, flowers and fruit. Nap in the hammock on the shady front porch, curl up with one of our hundreds of books in front of a toasty fire or stroll through the beautiful downtown Historic District that surrounds us.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Steve Skavroneck and Paula Tirrito for sharing their secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Our guests are here for a wide variety of reasons including: romantic getaway, visiting relatives, checking out the Wilmington area as a future home and the opportunity to enjoy both the historic downtown area and the nearby beaches.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
We try to provide "friendly luxury" for our guests -- comfort and pampering at the same time. We do a three-course breakfast every morning that causes many guests to skip lunch. Our relaxing front porch (with hammock) is a vacation in itself.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
The historic downtown area, the Riverwalk and the proximity to the beach provide an unbeatable combination.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
"Their service and hospitality at the B & B certainly reflected our vision of southern hospitality" and "the coup de gras is the gourmet breakfast that will set your taste-buds somewhere near heavens' door."
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
The bottle chapel at Airlie Gardens.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
The Riverwalk, the Battleship, Oakdale Cemetery, Airlie Gardens, Fort Fisher State Recreational Area (both the Civil War Fort and the beach), Greenfield Lake, the Tiki Bar behind the Golden Sands Motel at Carolina Beach, Cinematique at Thalian Hall Theatre and Yacht Basin Provision Company (a restaurant) in Southport.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
We are located in the heart of Wilmington's downtown historic district. The only thing you have to get into your car to get to are the beaches.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Caprice Bistro (French/Belgian) and Black Sea Grill (Mediterranean), both within walking distance.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference? How many rooms does your inn have?
Do you accept pets?
We welcome well-behaved pets -- mostly dogs although we have hosted a few cats over the years. Here are the questions we ask guests to think about before bringing their pets along:
- Does your dog react loudly and/or aggressively to other dogs?
- Does your dog bark when people come to your front door?
- Does your dog exhibit separation anxiety when you leave him alone?
- Does your dog get nervous in new surroundings?
- Does your dog chew on things that he’s not supposed to?
- Does your dog ever defecate or urinate in the house?
- Are you uncomfortable picking up your dog’s messes and properly disposing of them?
Breakfast MenuGuests at Camellia Cottage greet each morning with fresh coffee delivered to their door and a sumptuous three-course breakfast, which includes fresh fruit and home made pastries along with your entree. Paula's stint as a hotel pastry chef ensures a delightful dining experience.
Your first course may be bacon buns, almond sweet rolls, fresh buttermilk biscuits or a warm, cinnamon fruit cobbler. The main entree may consist of potato pancakes with spinach and feta cheese; or maybe smoked salmon, Portobello mushroom and asparagus quiche; butter pecan pancakes; or rich, cheesy berry strata. Dessert (we're talking breakfast of champions here!) can be vanilla custard with fresh mango, a fresh fruit sorbet or chocolate hazelnut torte. After all, it is the most important meal of the day...just ask Paula!
We will happily accomodate any food restrictions or special diets you may have. And, all of this yumminess is served at the breakfast time of your choice, between 8:00 and 9:30 am.
All guest rooms in Camellia Cottage feature private baths, working fireplaces, wireless internet and queen-sized beds. Our bath products created by Capitol Soapworks of Madison, WI, are actually made with camellia seed oil, a wonderful moisturizer, and contain no artificial ingredients or fragrances. To enhance the comfort of our guests and do our part for the environment, we use only baking soda, white vinegar and Murphy's Oil Soap as our cleaning products. To those with allergies, please note that dogs and cats are also welcome guests here. Let us know if you would like us to pick you up at the Wilmington airport.
Guests at Camellia Cottage greet each morning with fresh coffee delivered to their door and a sumptuous three-course breakfast, which includes fresh fruit and home made pastries along with your entree. Paula's stint as a hotel pastry chef ensures a delightful dining experience. We will happily accommodate any food restrictions or special diets you may have. And, all of this yumminess is served at the breakfast time of your choice, between 8 and 9:30 am.
Just a few short miles away are:
- Airlie Gardens
- Poplar Grove Historic Plantation
- Moores Creek National Battlefield
- Carolina Beach State Park
- Brunswick Town State Historic Site
- Fort Fisher Historic Site
- North Carolina Aquarium
- "Old Baldy" Lighthouse and the Southport-Fort Fisher Ferry
Or, you can relax on the beaches of the Atlantic Ocean, just 10 minutes away!
- The Crane Suite features an ornate, metal bed, carved fireplace and vibrant color. Formerly the sun room, the bath and dressing area is filled with lush tropical plants.
- Jane's Room is named after Henry's mother and features floral designs and vintage photos complementing the four-post bed and fireplace
- In the Tuscany Room, the golden glow of the walls and large windows make you think you're in an Italian villa. Enjoy the fireplace from the whimsical iron bed or soak in the claw-foot tub with a glass of Chianti.
- Henry's Room, featuring a canopy bed and fireplace, reflects the stateliness found in Henry's paintings hanging in the house
- The rates of $150 and $179 plus tax are based on one or two persons per room with private bath. This includes our full breakfast. Additional guests in the rooms will be $20 extra.
- If you find it necessary to cancel, we will refund your full deposit with a 7 day notice. If your cancellation is requested less than 7 days before scheduled arrival time, your deposit will be forfeited. However, all effort will be made to re-book the room and return your deposit minus a $20 handling fee.
- Payment may be made with cash, personal check, travelers cheques, VISA, Discover, MasterCard and American Express.
- Check-in Time: 3 to 5 p.m. Early or late arrival by prior arrangement only. Check-out Time: 11 a.m.
- As a courtesy to all of our guests, smoking is restricted to porches and garden.
- Off-street parking is available.
- The Camellia Cottage is centrally air-conditioned.
- Our pet policy: We welcome dogs and cats at our inn and there is a $15 per pet, per night charge. If you leave your pet in the room while you are out and about, we ask you to leave us your cell phone number.If the pet is obviously unhappy or distressed while you are gone, we will call you and ask you to return. (There are several downtown Wilmington restaurants that allow pets in their outdoor seating sections.)
While our home is not totally child-proof, we welcome children 9 and older.
Pets WelcomePlease consider the following questions and our other guests before deciding to bring your pet to Camellia Cottage.
- If Any of the Following Are true, You Should Not Bring Your Pet to the B&B
- Does your dog bark when people come to your door, when he sees people outside or at people he doesn't know?
- Does your dog not get along well with other dogs?
- Will your dog be unhappy to stay in your room while you are eating breakfast in the dining room or having dinner out?
- Will you be attending a wedding, business meeting or other outing where you can't take your pet?
- Does your dog occasionally makes "mistakes," especially in new places?
Our pet policy: We welcome dogs at our inn and there is a $15.00 per pet per night charge. If you leave your pet in the room while you are out and about, we ask you to leave us your cell phone number. If the pet is obviously unhappy or distressed while you are gone, we will call you and ask you to return. (There are several downtown Wilmington restaurants that allow pets in their outdoor seating sections.)