The Moss House Bed and Breakfast
Table Of Contents
Welcome to The Moss House, in Washington North Carolina. We offer Gracious Inner Banks Hospitality with a Casual Eclectic Style. Located one block from the Pamlico River, this beautiful Historic home with its wide brick veranda, provides gracious and comfortable accommodations in the heart of historic downtown Washington. A short walk leads to the waterfront, town docks, a sailing school and marina, specialty shops, art galleries, antique shops and a variety of wonderful restaurants. The Moss House is 20 minutes from Goose Creek State Park and Bath NC. Great places for kayaking and birding all around the area!
Our style is more about comfort and less about fluff. Each of the four guestrooms have a private bath, extra pillows, guest robes, HDTV and DVD player, free Wi-Fi, “green” amenities and the attention to detail that you require, but in a unique relaxed setting. Each morning there is fresh “Moss House” coffee and a freshly prepared breakfast served in our dining room. The Moss House is but a few strides away from the River Walk and downtown.
The Moss House Bed and Breakfast features four comfortable guest rooms each with a private bath, as well as a comfortable living room, and an elegant dining room for our guests' use and enjoyment. A variety of artwork, antiques and comfortable furniture lend the interior accommodations an atmosphere of ease and grace; life around The Moss House has an easy coastal style to relax in, but with a subtle antique touch.
Most of the rooms have the original carved wooden mantles surrounding colorfully tiled hearths, and the fireplaces, though no longer functional, recall the dedication to craftsmanship that was common when the house was built a century ago. You will find we do our best to be Green with custom soaps and amenites, corn based trash bags andrecycling practices. We pamper you with extra pillows, fresh allergen free sheets, and ample lighting in each room. Fresh flowers and greenery from our garden add to the relaxed and healthy environment of the house. Guests wishing to take in some fresh air will find that the veranda and adjacent garden afford a relaxing retreat, as does the back porch furnished with white wicker seating.
The Moss House features a full breakfast highlighted by Southern favorites with a gourmet touch( Beckie loves to cook!). These entree's, accented by freshly ground Moss House Blend coffee ( roasted just for us!), seasonal fruit, and homemade baked goods, ( think scones and Lemon-Ginger Muffins), will prepare you for a full day, whether your agenda calls for business or leisure pursuits.
The Moss House in Washington, NC, is an easily accessible and inviting getaway destination. A one block walk to the riverfront and Main Street takes you to shops, galleries and restaurants or on a relaxing stroll along the river past the town docks, boats and ducks.
Explore the waterways of eastern NC with kayaking and boat trips on the river and the many wandering creeks. Go hiking in Goose Creek State Park and explore Historic Bath with the oldest church in North Carolina. We are a perfect hub for birding at Mattamuskeet and Pocosin Lakes, exploring the Aurora Fossil Museum, checking out local Civil War History or attending Eastern Carolina University games and other local events.
Life around The Moss House has an easy eclectic coastal style to relax in with all the comfort and style you expect.
Looking for a great spot to read that new book you picked up? Check out the veranda rockers, swing and adjacent garden. They offer a relaxing retreat, as does the back porch furnished with white wicker seating and flower baskets.
We also offer in our guest rooms for your comfort:
- Make-up removal cloths
- Shower Caps
- Chocolates on your nightstand
- Fresh Flowers and Greenery
- Cozy Robes
- Cable TV in each Room
- HDTV’s with DVD players in each room
- Free High Speed Wi-Fi through out the B&B
- “Sound” Machines and Alarm Clocks
- Extra Pillows
- Top Quality Beds and Bedding
- Fluffy towels
And for your comfort around the B&B:
- Central A/C
- Wine glasses and openers
- Ice and Ice Buckets available
- Books, puzzles and magazines
- Iron and Ironing Board available
- Complimentary bottled water and sodas
- Granola bars and snacks
Green Room Amenities
Our “Green” Room Amenities Include:
- Custom Soaps in paper wrappers
- Shampoo/Conditioner in low impact containers
- Body wash and lotion in paper packaging
- Compostable trash bags
- Black make-up removal washcloths
- We recycle all our used soaps etc, via “CleanTheWorld”
All our plastic and aluminum containers get recycled
Wake up to the smell of fresh ground and brewed coffee, our own signature blend of “Moss House Coffee’ roasted in Rocky Mount NC by Cackalacky Coffee Roasters. Prefer tea? We have a variety of tea choices for you as well.
Start your morning with our fresh fruit dish, we use local fruits and produce in our cooking as often as we can. Have you ever had lavender sugar on your strawberries?
Help yourself to your choice of juices and indulge in some of our home baked goods. Beckie adds new recipes to our guest all time favorites regularly.
Favorites like….Ginger -Walnut Scones, Beckie’s Banana –Pecan Bread and Lemon-Rosemary Crumb Cake or Blueberry Muffins.
Your morning entrée could include Moss House Scrambled Eggs Benedict or Spiced Oatmeal Pancakes with fresh fruit and maple syrup.
We are very adept at catering to any food allergies or food dislikes you might have, so let us know if you have special dietary issues when you book your stay with us.
Traveling in the area on business?
We welcome the weary business traveler with corporate rates, privacy, personal service and all the conveniences and connectivity of a home office. Traveling alone? We offer secure second floor rooms, off-street parking and the Innkeepers live on the premises.
The Moss House is conveniently located two blocks from the Beaufort County Courthouse for attorneys, legal staff and other professionals. Nearby are the Beaufort County Hospital, Department of Environmental and Natural Resources, several bank branches and various government offices. East Carolina University and Greenville are an easy 25-minute drive from Washington.
Inn features and amenities for you:
- Free High Speed Wireless Internet
- In-room Cable TV, (flat-screen TVs with DVD player)
- Full gourmet breakfast served in the dining room with flexible times
- Flexible check-in & checkout times. Flexible cancellation policy
- Complimentary bottled water and soft drinks
- Excellent Coffee “to go” in the mornings
- Iron, ironing board & hair dryer's
- Located in the heart of the historic district
- Restaurants, shops, and the waterfront promenade are a short walk away
- Detailed receipts for expense reports are available on request
- Special Rates: Sunday through Thursday only
- Please call for rates and reservations
- Special rates for a spouse or a friend to come along on the trip too!
- MC, VISA and AMEX accepted
The Moss House Gardens
Things To Do
Sailing & Watersports
The Washington and the Coastal Carolina region is home to a variety of water sports. Boating and fishing enthusiasts are encouraged to check out the following information and links to area facilities.
- Bath Harbor Marina & Motel: Boat rentals, waterfront efficiency rooms, visitor slips available for power & sail up to 50 ft., (252) 923-5711.
- Captain Sam's Boat Yard: Full-service and DIY boatyard located on Broad Creek.
- Carolina Wind Yachting Center: New boats, boats for charter, slip rental, and more, located on historic Havens' Wharf..
- East Carolina Sailing School: Conveniently located on the Pamlico River at the historic Havens Wharf, just one block from the B & B.
- Inner Banks Outfitters: Kayak and bicycle rentals and accessories for the whole family. Check out the UNC-TV NC Weekend video.
- Jeanie B : Classisc 72 foot Schooner. Day sails and sunset cruises. Check out the UNC-TV NC Weekend video.
- McCotters Marina: A full-service shipyard and marina catering to both sail and power boaters, located on Broad Creek.
- Miss Bea Charters : Custom Pamlico and Tar River charters on a 22 foot C-Dory.
- North Carolina Coastal Paddle Trails: Information and a list of paddle trails for the Pamlico peninsula.
- Pamlico Sailing Club: Racing on the Pamlico since 1959.
- Tar-Pam Guide Service: Tar-Pam Guide Service is a year-round guide service specializing in light tackle fishing in the Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds and their tributaries.
- Washington City Docks – For reservations call the Washington Recreation Department at (252) 975-9367, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday – Friday or visit them on the web at http://washingtonncmarina.com.
Area Activities and Galleries
- Beaufort County Arts Council
- Goose Creek State Park
- The North Carolina Estuarium
- Farmers Market / Saturday Market
- Inner Banks Artisan Center
- Lake Mattamuskeet
- Music in the Streets
Dining and Local Restaurants
There are some great places to eat in Washington and the surrounding area. Restaurants that offer everything from a quick casual lunch to elegant fine dining. Several are within a short walk of the inn.
Right downtown there is:
- Blue Door Cafe – 132 E. Water St. 940-4555
- Down on MainStreet – 107 W. Main St. 940-1988
- La Bella Slices and Ices Pizzeria – 125 W. Main St. 948-0948
- On the Waterfront – 1 Harding Square 946-3463
- The Mecca Grill – 129 North Market St. 946-4450
- The Meeting Place – 225 W. Main St 975-6370
- The Bank Bistro and Bar – 216 W. Main St. 948-9000
- Scoops Ice Cream – 217 W. Main St. 974-1114
- Bill's Hot Dogs – 109 Gladden St. 946-3343
A short drive will take you to:
- Backwater Jack's Tiki Bar & Grill – 1052 E. Main St. 975-1090 (top photo)
- Bill's Hot Dogs #2 – 617 Washington Square Mall 946-8535
- Blackbeard's – 1000 Washington St. 975-1172
- Boss Hog's Backyard Barbeque – 1550 Carolina Ave. 946-5251
- Café Duo’ - 28 NC Highway 33 West Chocowinity 940-1230
- Franks Pizza – 815 John Small Ave. 975-6050
- Marabella's Italian Pizza & Grill – 610 Carolina Ave. 946-0032
Several great golf course are located just minutes from The Moss House, check out the links below for information.
Other Pictures Around the B&B