Dr. Flippin's Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
Nestled in historical downtown Pilot Mountain, Dr. Flippin's Bed and Breakfast exhibits sophistication with a Victorian flair. Pilot Mountain's well-known doctor, Dr. Flippin, had his home and office built in 1896 on Main Street in an era when life was not so hectic. This Victorian Inn has a simple but elegant atmosphere that entices you to relax and to enjoy the exquisite amenities such as heart pine floors, spacious air-conditioned suites, hand carved mahogany beds, breathtakingly beautiful chandeliers, private baths which offer a tub and a shower and dressing areas plus an office area with a fax machine. In addition, fine linens, 24 carat gold china and carved silverware add to the warmth and charm of this graceful old home.
Entering the parlor is taking a step back in time. Beautiful hand carved mahogany marble topped tables adorn the comfortable room. Large Victorian sofas coax you to relax and to enjoy the primitive art work displayed plus the 1900's walnut piano that was part of the original furnishings. Sit in the lap of luxury while appreciating the five paneled doors, heirloom rugs and fluted trim in this artistic home.
Mornings begin with a gourmet breakfast served on a fourteen feet hand crafted mahogany table set with George and Martha Washington china with hand embroidered linens. Visitors may spend the day enjoying our specialty shops, the antique mall, viewing our historical district and enjoying a simple lunch or fine dining at a number of quality restaurants.
Featured sights near the town are beautiful Pilot Mountain State Park, where hiking or rockclimbing are available. Before the town was named Pilot Mountain, the mountain area had been inhabited by Cherokee Indians who knew this mountain as Jomemkee, the Great Guide or the Pilot. The hill covering some 1,000 feet over this area is topped by a monadnock, a knob consisting of quartzite rock. Hanging Rock State Park, located in nearby Stokes County, offers swimming, hiking or a leisurely walk in the park. Visitors wanting to see a 1800's farm and its everyday features may travel to nearby Horne Creek Living Historical Farm. Guests wanting a more adventurous day may canoe down the Dan River.
Local features include Pilot Mountain Mayfest held each spring on Mother's Day weekend, Mayberry Days highlighting The Andy Griffith Show, Autumn's Leaves Festival held each October in nearby Mount Airy or Historical Horne Creek's Cornshucking Event.
Dr. Flippin's Bed and Breakfast is also available for private parties, wedding rehearsal dinners, anniversary parties and church groups.
Special Events At Dr. Flippins Bed and Breakfast
Having a small party, luncheon, rehearsal dinner? Call us to discuss having your next gathering at Dr. Flippins Bed and Breakfast. Catering and party planning available.
On September 27, 2000, the "11 Hatfuls" chapter of The Andy Griffith Show Rerun Watchers Club set out on their first trip as a group to Mayberry Days. Part of our trip included staying at Flippin's Bed and Breakfast in Pilot Mountain. We were greeted by our hostess, Charlotte Adkins, and found ourselves in a beautifully renovated Victorian home. Each room was meticulously decorated in a different theme, and the entire house was impressively clean.
The highlight of our stay at Flippin's was the gourmet breakfast we enjoyed each morning as a group. Charlotte outdid herself day after day preparing the most delicious, elaborate breakfasts we had ever enjoyed. We are planning on staying there again next year, and every year we attend Mayberry Days.
The "11 Hatfuls" members:
Tom & Nancy Highland, Grand & Sonia Oppenhuis, Gene Paliga, and Bill & Carol Wold. Lansing, Illinois
Special Area Events
Mayberry Farm Fest
Downtown festival with heritage crafters, antique tractors, a local “Antiques Road Show”, live music, petting zoo - all celebrating our rich agricultural heritage. Downtown Mount Airy.
Mount Airy Fiddlers Convention
Two days of musical competitions and jams. Free workshops in Old-Time music. Contact Jack Jones at 336-786-6830. Veterans Park.
The Sound of Music (Musical)
A community theatre presentation of Rogers and Hammerstein's final collaboration. Featuring the songs My Favorite Things and Do-Re-Mi. Andy Griffith Playhouse.
Grape Jam Wine And Music Festival
A Wine and Music Festival. Dobson.
Surry County Agricultural Fair
Craft, livestock and poultry competitions and displays. Amusement rides. Concessions. Games. Call 336-786-6830 or 336-786-2236. Veterans Park.
Please visit the Surry Arts Council website for special guests and schedule. Tickets can be purchased on their website. Andy Griffith Playhouse.
Autumn Leaves Festival
40th Annual Festival with food vendors, juried craftspeople, live Old-Time, Bluegrass and Gospel music. Crowds expected to be 200,000. Downtown Mt. Airy.
Mount Pilot Antique Mall
In the Quaint little town of Pilot Mountain right on Main Street, you can actually step back in time when you visit the Mount Pilot Antique Mall.
With having 27 dealers within these walls you will find everything you wanted and some things you weren't even aware you wanted. You'll find collectibles Pilot Mountain coffee cans, to the elegant china that was used in the 1800's for teatime.
Other treasurers that can be found are old time tools that farmers used around the plantation, toys that the children played with and old books that were read by the light of kerosene lamps. All at affordable prices with genuine southern hospitality.
Other Areas of Interest
- Blue Ridge Parkway - Ranked as "America's Most Scenic Drive".
- Pilot Mountain State Park - Also known as "Mount Pilot" from the Mayberry Show.
- Hanging Rock State Park - Waterfalls, boating, picnicking, fishing, rock climbing, repelling, hiking, horseback riding & swimming in the 12 acre lake. Call (336) 593-8480.
- Stone Mountain State Park - 600 foot granite dome; more than 17 miles of designated trout waters. Hiking, fly fishing, picnicking, rock climbing, repelling & horseback riding. 8AM - 5PM. Call (336) 957-8185.
- Pilot Knob Park - This beautiful Golf & Country Club has agreed to let our guests play on their beautiful course Sunday through Friday.
- New River Trail - Biking - offers 52 miles of bicycle trails along New River. Call (877) 510-2572.
- Tanglewood Park - Clemmons, NC. Full park including horseback riding; $16 per hour. Open daily 7AM - Dusk year round. Admission. Call (336)766-0591.
- Horne Creek Farm - April - October Hours: Tuesday - Saturday 10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
- Historic Rockford
- Sauratown Mountain
- Old Salem - A Moravian Community. Call (888) 653-7253
- Historic Bethabara Park - 2147 Bethabara Rd, Winston Salem, NC. Call (336) 924-8191.
- Mabry Mill - The Blue Ridge Parkway's most photographed location. Call (276) 952-2947.
- High Point International Horne Furniture Center - Come to Highpoint; The home of the largest Home Furniture Show in the world.
- Korner's Folly - The strangest house in the world. Call (336) 996-7922.
- Carolina Music Ways
- Shallowford Popcorn Farm - Call (336) 463-5938.
- Tubing - Danberry General Store rents tubes & runs a shuttle for tubing on the Dan River. Call (336) 593-8780.
- Canoe & Kayaking - The Dan River Co. Call (336) 866-2628 or toll free (866) 372-2628, Hanging Rock Outdoor Center Call (336) 593-8283.
- Cloud Nine Hot Air Ballooning
- Yadkin Valley Balloon Adventures - Call (336) 922-7207
- Hot Air Ballooning with Avian Adventures - Call (336) 699-3332.
- Airplane Rides - Call (336) 699-3332.
- Yadkin River Island Park
Museum and Institutions
- SciWorks - Call (336) 767-6730.
- Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art (SECCA)
- Delta Fine Arts Center
- Museum of Early Southern Decorative Art (MESDA) - Winston-Salem
- Reynolda House Museum of American Art - Call (336) 725-5325.
- Stevens Center for Performing Arts - Winston-Salem
- Surry Arts Council
- Andy Griffith Playhouse
- Wake Forest University's Museum of Anthropology
- Shelton Vineyards - We provide provide a great alternative for your guests with free live music on Friday and Saturday nights in our full service restaurant, Scuppernongs.
- Carolina Harvest Wines
- Round Peak Vineyards
- Old North State Winery
- Stony Knoll Vineyard
- Yadkin Valley Wine Trail - Visit this website for all of the vineyards in the Yadkin Valley. Includes maps and schedules of special events, including concerts & wine festivals.
Services and Local Business
- Ryans Restaurant - Coliseum Drive, Winston Salem, NC Call (336) 724-6132.
- Sawbriar Acoustic Stage - located in Pilot Mountain. Acoustic sound stage and coffee shop. Family atmosphere offering various types of music.
- Mt. Pilot Antique Mall - Call (336) 368-1617.
- Lisa's Flower Gallery - Call (336) 368-5388
- Mount Airy - "Mayberry USA" - The home town of Andy Griffith. Visit the town that the show was fashioned after.
- Wally's Service Station - Offering Squad Car Tours. Located at 625 S Main Street in Mt Airy. Hours: Monday - Friday 9AM - 5PM and Saturday 10AM - 3PM. Call (336) 719-0181 or 789-OPIE.
- Floyd's Barber Shop - And the "Wall of Fame" where you can have your picture taken in one of his 2 chairs. Located at 129 N. Main Street in Mt Airy. For Tours Call (336) 786-2346.
- Mt. Airy Granite Quarry - The world's largest open-faced granite quarry. Call (336) 786-5141 or (800) 227-6242.
- Bright Leaf Drive-In Theater - One of the few remaining drive-in theaters left in the US. Call (336) 786-5494.
- Mt. Airy Chamber of Commerce
- Cookie Patch - Picnic baskets, soups, sandwiches, desserts, wines, specialty cakes. Call (336) 368-5959.
- Park Avenue Limo - Winery tours. Call (866) 959-Limo
- Mayfest - (Mothers Day Weekend), Downtown Pilot Mountain. Music, crafts, antiques, antique tractors.
How to Find Us
- Take US Hwy #52 to the Pilot Mountain (Hwy. 268) exit.
- Turn right at the end of exit ramp onto Hwy. 268 and continue on this street until you reach the stoplight.
- Turn right onto Main Street, turning in at first driveway on left. Approximately 30 minutes from Winston-Salem.
- Take C. Richard Vaughn (Mount Airy) exit or Exit #100 to Highway #89.
- Follow Hwy. 89 into Mount Airy taking US Hwy #52 South into Pilot Mountain.
- Turn left at the end of exit ramp onto Hwy. 268 and continue on this street until you reach the stoplight.
- Turn right onto Main Street, go one block and turn left onto Stephens Street, turning in at first driveway on left. Approximately 10 minutes from Mount Airy.