Hill House Bed & Breakfast Inn
Table Of Contents
Hill House, From a Different Time
When People Relaxed and Lingered
Talked into the Night, not into Computers
Slept amid Trees and Awakened to Birds Singing
Savored Long, Hearty, Friendly Breakfasts
Played Parlor Games All Afternoon
Welcome to Hill House. It’s a place with one foot very much in the present and the other in a past we all cherish. Rooms that hint both of Grandma Knows and Guitar Nights. A huge, grassy lawn for play and an Appalachian garden for inspiration. Breakfasts with French-pressed coffee from Javataza, our signature fresh fruit juices, and eggs, cream, breads, cheeses, and who-knows-what surprises all served with a chef’s insights.Situated in the heart of the romantic, offbeat city of Asheville, the American Shangri-La, in the North Carolina Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Jetted tubs & fireplaces, comfy beds our bed and breakfast guests rave about ...
- Delicious breakfasts served on our beautiful porch in warmer weather, in the dining room at fireside in cool weather
- Pillow sweets, afternoon & evening treats, warm friendly folk ...
- R & R on our beautiful wrap-around porch overlooking the award-winning garden or a gentle swing in the hammock ...
- Enjoy morning yoga on our large, secluded lawn
- Internet access available for those with WIFI capabilities.
The original tin roof still graces this grand Victorian painted lady, shaded by century old oaks in a captivating garden setting. Located in a quiet neighborhood and sited with a commanding view of downtown Asheville, A Hill House Bed and Breakfast Inn offers the right mix of privacy in your own guest room and camaraderie on the huge wrap around porch.
You'll feel at home in the casual elegance of the spacious quarters with Victorian high ceilings and beautiful but distinctly comfortable furnishings, an eclectic mix of antiques, traditional and unusual pieces.
Gift Certificates Available
A Stay At Hill House Makes A Great Gift!
We have ten accommodations: 4 spacious suites and 6 rooms, most with whirlpool tubs and and many with fireplaces, just waiting for you to enjoy!
Vegetarian Friendly · Children by Pre-Approval Only, restrictions apply
Whether business travel or pleasure brings you to Asheville, you'll find Hill House Bed and Breakfast a welcome lodging alternative to other accommodations.
Hope to see you soon,
Photography by Scott Arthur
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to David Raphael Smith for sharing his own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Most people stay with us looking for a romantic getaway.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
We are best known for our casual, elegant style. Our large, secluded lawn makes us unique.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
The #1 reason to visit Asheville is for our rtelatively cool summers and active downtown area.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
For travelers staying more than a weekend we suggest they definitely go to the Biltmore, drive/hike through the Blue Ridge Mountains, and dine/shop downtown.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
The center of downtown is 1 mile away for those who enjoy walking.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference?
Romanticasheville.com is a great guide.
How many rooms does your inn have?
We have 10 rooms.
Do you accept pets?
We allow pets in 2 rooms.
Hill House Galleries
Hill House's galleries were inspired by its grand view of Downtown Asheville. In fact, you can see most of historic Asheville without leaving the Inn.
The first floor galleries display archive photos and antique postcards of Downtown architecture, and original Harpers Weekly Magazine articles from the 1880's, featuring stories and renderings of Asheville and the surrounding area.
Our second floor gallery follows the same theme, displaying the works of local artists.
Our church gallery resides in the sunlit stairway at the back of the house, showcasing black and white photos of Asheville's most famous churches, and architectural elements of Asheville's most famous landmarks.
The Inn for all Seasons
Winter Wonderland Christmas Splendor
Asheville, North Carolina
Welcome to Asheville!
Asheville is a great place to spend just a day or an entire week. And there's something for everyone! For those wanting to experience the great outdoors, there are numerous venues for hiking, biking, rafting and even gem mining. Scenic drives await you on the Blue Ridge Parkway with breath-taking vistas at Chimney Rock and Mt Mitchell (highest elevation east of the Mississippi), among others.
While the Biltmore Estate is a must-see, downtown Asheville offers an eclectic mix of shops, restaurants galleries and historic treasures. Great architecture abounds with some of the greatest Art Deco buildings to be found outside of Miami.
Asheville is rich in culture and showcases theatre and music events throughout the year. And most any time of year, you'll find special events and festivals that celebrate local artists and culture. And when your day is done, there is a wide variety of dining choices to appease most any palate.
We have pulled together some of our favorite places and activities to be enjoyed during your stay in Asheville. Enjoy!
- Blue Ridge Parkway -- Scenic drive
- Mt. Mitchell -- Hiking, Scenery
- Chimney Rock Park -- Hiking, Views, Waterfalls
- Dupont State Forest -- Hiking, Waterfalls
- Pisgah National Forest -- Hiking
- Great Smokey Mountains National Park -- Hiking, Camping
- North Carolina Arboretum -- Flower Gardens, Hiking
- Asheville Botanical Gardens -- Flower Gardens, Walking Trails
- Sandy Bottom Trail Rides -- Horseback Riding
- Wolf Laurel Mountain Trail Rides - Horseback Riding
- Nantahala Outdoor Center -- White Water Rafting
- Southern Waterways -- Quiet Water Rafting
- Hunter Banks -- Fly Fishing
- Old Pressley Sapphire Mine -- Gem Digs
- Western North Carolina Mountain Biking --
- Diana Wortham Theatre
- Fine Arts Theater
- Asheville Community Theater
- Asheville Symphony
- Asheville Contemporary Dance Theater
- Smith-McDowell House Museum
- Asheville Art Museum
- Thomas Wolf Memorial
- Folk Art Center
- Savoy -- New World Cuisine
- Rezaz -- Contemporary Mediterranean Grill
- Limones -- CaliMex
- Vincenzo's-- Traditional Italian
- CafÃ© on The Square -- Fine Dining
- Bistro 1896 -- American Cuisine w/ a twist
- La Caterina Tratoria -- Traditional Italian
- Tupelo Honey CafÃ© -- Twist on Southern Cuisine
- Grape Escape Wine Bar & Grill
- Laughing Seed CafÃ© -- Vegetarian
- Market Place Restaurant -- Fine Dining
- Zambra -- Tapas Bar
- The Lobster Trap -- Seafood
- Salsa's -- Not your traditional Mexican fare
- Greenery Restaurant -- Local Fine Dining
- Charlotte Street Grill -- Casual Fare
SEASONAL EVENTS (2005)
- Downtown After Five -- Third Friday of each month, May - Sept.
- Folkmoot USA International Festival -- July 18-31
- Center City Art Walk -- April 1st, June 3rd, Aug. 5th, Oct. 7th
- River District Artists Studio Stroll -- June 11-12; Nov. 12-13
- Craft Fair of the Southern Highlands -- June 21-24; Oct 20-23
- Biltmore Village Art & Craft Fair -- August 6-7
- Belle Chere -- July 29-30
- Shindig on the Green -- July 2, 9, 16, 23; August 13, 20, 27; September 3
- Asheville Film Festival -- October 27-30
"It was our first time at a B&B and you have converted us for life"
"Bailey, we will miss you!"
"The bed was like falling into a huge, comfy pillow."
"Our room was so cozy and romantic. Our first B&B experience will be hard to beat!"
"A great place to feel special."
"Your attention to comfort and beautiful detail is outstanding"
"We loved the way in the afternoon sun filled our room."
"What a relaxing, tranquil place. Our girls weekend was perfect."
"The cottage felt like 'home away from home.'"
"This was like having our own tree house - a real home away from home."
"Thank you so muchâ€¦you two are the perfect host and hostess...
all the way down to the fresh flowers."
"The stay in your truly warm and cozy bed and breakfast made the
celebration of our 6th wedding anniversary truly unforgettable."
"From the delightful breakfasts to evening wine on the porch,
you made us feel like we were staying with friends."
"Thank you for your attention to detail. It's the "little things" that make all the difference."
"Our goal this trip was peace, quiet, and serenity. Thanks to you we achieved it!"
"Thank you for making our visit so special. We will always remember it."
"Wonderful time; beautiful place; delicious food; cozy room;
sweet doggy; excellent chocolate chip cookies; wonderful hospitality."
"We had a lovely time at the Hill House B&B. This was our first time at a B&B
and it was all that we had hoped for. Loved the hospitality, the dog, the cookies,
and the breakfast! This room was extremely cozy too - what a great bed!"
"We had a wonderful time this weekend. This was our first time staying in a bed and breakfast
and it was the perfect place to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary!"
"The red velvet cake, cookies, roses in the room, and Bailey- made our Valentine's Day weekend super special."
"It's obvious-- you do things right or you just don't do them at all!
Everything was done with such a touch of class."
"What a cozy and welcoming Bed & Breakfast the Hill House is â€¦ the Biltmore room is great!
This home is filled with great charm and wonderful history that is fabulously preserved!
Great food was had, new friends made, and we especially loved Bailey."
"When you don't want to leave then you know something special is happening! Awesome!"
"Thanks for the special touches -- Seattle chocolates, special bath products -- made all the difference!"
"We enjoyed three terrific nights at this glorious B&B. Our favorite things were sitting out on the porch
in the rocking chairs, and looking up at the trees and sky from the day-bed in the sun porch."
"We thoroughly enjoyed 4 nights here at Hill House. The accommodations and breakfasts were wonderful.
We came here to get away from the stresses of home and leave here refreshed and renewed."
"I can't think of anything you could do to make this house more comfortable.
It is lovely. Thanks for a wonderful experience at Hill House."
"Seldom does a description of an establishment actually turn out to be factual. Hill House is the
exception. Everything expressed on the website was true, down to the last detail."
"What a perfect weekend! You guys cook up a mean breakfast! Your Inn is absolutely beautiful and the
cottage was extra cozy. We enjoyed the cookies and the hammock, and only wish we could have stayed longer."
"We love your house! It's beautiful, charming, with none of the stuffiness that one feels sometimes in a B&B."
"You have a treasure in this place. What a beautiful and memorable first anniversary."
"The food was marvelous, the massage was rejuvenating, and the room was breath-taking."
"Greatness is in the little things. A vase of yellow roses. Chocolate chip cookies.
Monkey bars. Blueberry pancakes. Chinese checkers. Seattle chocolates. Bath salts. Bailey!"
"Thanks for the wonderful hospitality of Hill House. Even though we spent just one night here,
we got a week's worth of relaxation!
"Thanks so much for going above & beyond in making our stay wonderful. We won't forget it."
Amenities & Special Services
Special Pampering Original to Hill House
- Coffee & Pastries Early morning, freshly ground coffee & fresh-baked breads available to be enjoyed in your room, or add morning news & good conversation in the parlor or on the porch if you prefer.
- Kitchen & Parlor Our guests enjoy their own private kitchen & parlor stocked with a selection of herbal teas, coffee, gourmet cocoa, soft drinks, filtered water & snacks. The guest kitchen & parlor are available to our guests 24 hours a day.
- Bottomless Cookie Jar ...for that late dash night sweet tooth.
- Robes All of our guests enjoy cozy, luxurious robes during their visit.
- Bedside Breakfast Our original idea! At your choosing, we will deliver breakfast to you in the privacy of your room (available in some rooms for a $15 fee).
- Special Cakes Cakes are available for special occasions, arrange in advance at booking.
Amenities for All of Our Guests to Enjoy
- Beautifully decorated rooms & suites, each unique to itself...choose your favorite decor.
- Queen-size beds & private bathrooms, jacuzzi tubs or claw-foot soaking tubs (original to the house), & fireplaces in many rooms.
- Delicious breakfasts served in our dining room or, as weather permits, on our spacious front porch overlooking the gardens & Asheville downtown.
- Beverages, hors d'oeuvres & our Bottomless Cookie Jar in the parlor each afternoon & after dinner for that late-night sweet tooth.
- Private guest kitchen & parlor available to our guests 24 hours a day.
- Very special places to relax in our parlor, on our beautiful front porch overlooking the downtown skyline & on the wooded grounds.
- Sweets on your pillow each night.
- All-natural shampoos, soaps, lotions & herbal soaking grains in every bathroom.
- Hair dryers, irons & ironing boards in every room.
- Air conditioning & ceiling fans.
- Cable TV with VCR or DVD; CD / radio / alarm clocks in every room.
- Walking distance to Asheville downtown, three miles to Biltmore Estate, easy access to area attractions. Maps & tourist information available on site. We will meet with you at breakfast each day to assist you in planning your activities.
Additional Special Services
- Vegetarian friendly! Let us know in advance about your dietary considerations & we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
- We are delighted to design a special package for you: champagne/wine/sparkling cider, flowers, wine/cheese/fruit tray, adventures, picnic feasts, Biltmore day passes...what does your heart desire? We do our best to accommodate you.
Hill House Gardens
"Intoxicatingly lovely. There was nothing so satisfying as strolling through the gardens with our morning coffee."
Enjoy a variety of experiences in our expansive gardens from Cool Quiet Woodlands to Bright Summer Displays. From our front wrap-around porch, sit and relax to the soothing sounds of falling water while capturing the sights and smells of our Cottage Garden.