Barclay Heights Bed & Breakfast at Smythe House
Table Of Contents
"1890 Victorian fully restored with old world charm and all the modern amenities"
For your accommodations in the country choose our micro hotel offering the best breakfast fare and among the finest lodging in the Hudson Valley Catskill area in Saugerties, New York. Stay in a carefully renovated three story 1890 Classic American Shingle Style Colonial.
Your hosts David and Justine are career hospitality professionals inviting you into their warm, comforting home. Each of the guest rooms is uniquely and beautifully appointed and all have private bathrooms.
Interior emphasis is toward comfortable, convenience appointed with functional period antiques, Persian carpets, Tiffany lamps.
Your host Justine Smythe, MBA Cornell Hotel School at Paris, offers concierge service to help you plan your lunch and dinner reservations. Choose from plenty of seasonal local activities, historical sites and trails to follow. Call in advance for special arrangements for your birthday, anniversary, or whatever event you wish to celebrate.
Wander outside and enjoy the view or sit by the koi pond and watch and listen to the relaxing sounds of the waterfalls.
Of course, you may just want to snuggle in the extremely comfortable deluxe pillowtop bed or unwind in a double Jacuzzi.
Chef David Smythe, 29 year Chef-professor at the Culinary Institute of America, makes sure that everything is just right for the most sensitive meal of the day, your breakfast. Choose from the extensive farm fresh & organic menu.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to David and Justine Smythe for sharing their own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Smythe House is perfect for special occasions; most guests choose to stay here to celebrate a special event such as a proposal, honeymoon, anniversary, birthday, babymoon, and the like. Many guests come here for a relaxing getaway to the country, complete with gourmet breakfast and concierge service.
What are you best known for?
Smythe House is best known for its personalized gourmet breakfasts prepared by Chef David Smythe, professor at the Culinary Institute of America.
What makes your inn unique?
Smythe House is unique in that the hosts are hospitality professionals: David Smythe is a senior chef instructor and hospitality consultant, Justine Smythe is a graduate of both the Culinary Institute of America and Cornell Hotel School. David and Justine are committed to ensuring guest satisfaction.
What do you love most about your inn?
We have lived in this home for more than 30 years, when we bought the Victorian is was all but falling down, now it is completely restored including all modern conveniences such as WiFi, Cable TV, fireplaces, and Jacuzzi tubs. What we love most about our inn is that it is a symbol of our love for our family, our love for the area, and our love of hospitality.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
Historic Friendly Saugerties is a vibrant riverside village that will delight anyone seeking a relaxing getaway to the Catskills and Hudson Valley. Our village offers many shops, restaurants, and nature attractions including three nature preserves right in town. Stop at Miss Lucy’s Kitchen for a farm fresh lunch, then head down to the Saugerties Lighthouse for a refreshing nature walk on the Hudson River. Saugerties is delightfully central to many quaint villages, including Woodstock to the West, Catskill and Hudson to the North, Rhinebeck and Hyde Park to the East, and Kingston and New Paltz to the South….guests have nearly limitless opportunities for fun and entertainment when staying in Saugerties NY.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
We have hundreds of positive reviews online, guests often mention that their room was nicer than the photos at smythehouse.com. Visit our site to see review widgets sharing what guests really think of Smythe House, in their own words.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
The recently opened Falling Waters Nature Preserve on the Hudson River, right here in the town of Saugerties minutes from Smythe House.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
This depends on the guests’ interests. Many guests choose to go hiking in the Catskills, one of our favorite hikes is Kaaterskill Falls.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
Smythe House is one mile to the center of the village, that is less than 20 minutes walk, however, we recommend that guests drive to the entrance of the preserve and spend that extra time in nature. Also, we have an excellent taxi service in Saugerties called Stage Coach Taxi for guests who prefer to leave their car at home while dining out in the village. The Esopus Bend Nature preserve is adjacent to our home, so guests at the B&B can walk to the preserve to enjoy the forest along the Esopus Creek, 150 acres of preserve are marked with trails for your enjoyment.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
There are literally dozens of excellent restaurants in the immediate area. When in Rhinebeck we like to dine at Terrapin or Gigi Trattoria. In Woodstock, we recommend the Bear Café with streamside dining or Cucina offering innovative Italian cuisine. Between Woodstock and Saugerties there are two very good restaurants, the Red Onion and New World Home Cooking. And in the village, the destination restaurant Miss Lucy’s Kitchen is sure to delight.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference?
Every guest that stays at Smythe House is offered a selection of travelers guides, we are blessed because there are many good guides in the Mid-Hudson Valley showcasing the many attractions and activities going on through the season. Visitvortex.com and Chronogram.com are both print publications and websites offering much info
How many rooms does your inn have?
Barclay Heights Bed & Breakfast at Smythe House has five guest rooms each with private bathroom, we also have a cottage on the Esopus Creek here in the village with four bedrooms and four bathrooms.
Do you accept pets?
All guest rooms include:
- Flat panel cable TV
- DVD players
- In-room refrigerators
- Wine set-up
- Organic toiletries
- Deluxe all-cotton & down bedding
- Full length bathrobes
- Hair dryers, etc.
Personalized gourmet breakfast - make your selections from the menu and enjoy cafe style dining at your chosen time.Please inquire in advance for specialized menus (vegetarian, vegan, celiac). Enjoy a refreshing fresh fruit starter while Chef Smythe prepares your meal in the open French style country kitchen.Enjoying your day: Wake up and ease yourself out of the bed with its crisp all cotton linens and restorative pillow top hand stitched mattress.Get into the Jacuzzi and relax yourself awake. Come through the parlor and enter the lively tiled, chef designed kitchen.Stop for a minute to talk to the chef and see your breakfast being prepared, then flow through into the beautiful, warm dining area.Pause to enjoy the mountain-view, fresh cut flowers on the table, subtle lively music, smell the coffee being brewed, then begin to enjoy your best meal of the day. Once completely satisfied push back from the table. When you're ready, set out on your business or your adventure, plans and map in hand, or just go back upstairs and jump back into bed. We won't tell.Stay at the Smythe House for unforgettable hospitality and memorable meals.Chef David Smythe will prepare your personalized breakfast just the way you like it. Dine while you enjoy the koi pond and Catskill mountain view.Hosts David and Justine Smythe welcome you as guests in their newly-renovated Victorian "Shingle Style" Cottage.The Esopus Creek Cottage, a waterside vacation rental, is perfect for your Hudson valley friend or family vacation getaways.
Smythe House Breakfast
Smythe House Breakfast prepared by Chefs Smythe just the way you like it. For a complete hot personally prepared breakfast, reserve the night before. Upon check-in guests choose from the menu and indicate time of desired breakfast.
Smythe House Breakfast Menu
(Menu subject to change or may be customized for dietary preference) Chef's Note: Please submit menu by 7 pm each night for the following morning. Please select one entree and beverages from the menu below:
Crepes & Pancakes
- With choice of bacon, ham, or sausage
- Farm eggs scallion, & mushroom crepes with orange cream sauce
- Chantilly Crepes filled with fresh fruit and whipped cream
- Blueberry Buttermilk pancakes or Banana Walnut pancakes
- French Toast with warm berry compote and Chantilly cream or vanilla yogurt
Omelete (stove-top) or Fritata (oven-baked)
- Create your own--mix and match from the following ingredients:
- Cheese: cheddar, swiss, jack, mozzarella, cream cheese, sour cream
- Meat: steak, ham, bacon, sausage, smoked salmon
- Vegetable: tomato, mushroom, bell pepper, scallion, basil, dill
- Omelets served with chef's choice potatoes and whole grain toast, bagel, or croissant
Special Breakfast Dishes
- Eggs Benedict - poached eggs on crouton with Canadian ham and Hollandaise
- Eggs Barclay - poached eggs on crouton with smoked salmon and Hollandaise
- Eggs en Cocotte - baked in ramekin with cream, Swiss cheese, and scallion
- Bagel with smoked salmon, cream cheese, tomato, and red onion
- Herbed Tofu Scramble, grilled tomato, wheat toast, seasonal greens, chef's potato
Eggs any Style
With chef's choice potatoes, toast, and choice of:
- Bacon, ham, sausage, steak, portabello mushroom, grilled tomato
- Toast, choose from bagel, whole grain, English muffin, or croissant
- Parfait, fresh fruit and organic yogurt (vanilla or plain), croissant or whole grain toast
- Cold cereal, choose from: Cheerios, Cornflakes, or Granola
- Hot cereal, choose from: Cream of Wheat or Oatmeal
- Hot: regular or decaf coffee, black or herbal tea, mulled cider, hot chocolate, mocha
- Cold: milk, orange juice, grapefruit juice, berry juice, tomato, apple cider, iced tea or coffee
- Fruit smoothie with banana, berries, and yogurt
From the Guest Book"A wonderful stay. Fabulous breakfast. The rooms are cozy and the best mattress I have ever slept on. We appreciate your attention to the little details. It makes all the difference." ~ Stephanie & Randy, Ontario Canada"We are frequent visitors to bed and breakfasts in the New England area, and yours is among the best we've had the pleasure to experience. The breakfasts we amazing, the conversations enlightening, the house an ideal base for our explorations of the Hudson Valley / Catskills region." ~ Best wishes, Jen & Joe, Newton MA"Your hospitality is unparalleled. We had such a wonderful weekend thanks to your B&B. The room was beautiful and the personal touches made it very homey." ~ Danielle and Joseph, Manhattan, New York
How To Find Us
Coming from the North on 9W we are on the right side of the street. Coming from the South on 9W we are on the left side of the street.
There is a green and gold sign "Smythe House" in the front yard and a gold "Smythe House" sign over our front door.
Our physical address is 158 Burt Street, Saugerties, NY 12477.
We are right across from Trinity Lane. The Village of Saugerties Welcome sign is also directly across the street from our driveway.
Directions from NYC via the NYState Thruway:
- Exit the NY State thruway at exit 20, if you are coming from the South at the first light (across from McDonalds)
- Make a right onto Route 212 "aka" Ulster Avenue, around the fourth light turn right onto Market Street
- Go one block and at the light turn left onto Main street
- Go one block and at the light turn right onto Partition Street, follow Partition down the hill
- Follow the traffic left and up the hill (Hill street "aka" 9W/32) and the road turns right and then left and then right (on your left is Knights of Columbus)
- Then go two blocks on 9W and we are on the right hand side across from Trinity Place and a graveyard
- Look for the Smythe House sign and fence on the right, two houses before our home is Hellmsmoortel Insurance you can't miss our place, but if you get to Overbaugh street (on the right) turn around and its the second driveway on your left across from the old graveyard
Directions from Albany or other areas to the North via the NY State Thruway:
- Exit the NY State thruway at exit 20
- If you are coming from the North make a left onto Route 32 and then another left onto Route 212 "aka" Ulster Avenue
- Around the fifth light turn right onto Market Street, go one block and at the light turn left onto Main street
- Go one block and at the light turn right onto Partition Street
- Follow Partition down the hill, follow the traffic left and up the hill (Hill street) and the road turns right and then left and then right (on left is Knights of Columbus)
- Then go two blocks on 9W and we are on the right hand side across from Trinity Place and a graveyard
- Look for the Smythe House sign and fence on the right, two houses before our home is Hellmsmoortel Insurance
- You can't miss our place, but if you get to Overbaugh street turn around and its the second driveway on your left across from the old graveyard
Directions from the Taconic Parkway:
- Take the "Route 199 Intersection" going West towards Red Hook, Rhinecliff, Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge (one exit past Cold Spring Road)
- Follow Rte 199 West to Red Hook, follow Rte 199/Rte 9 towards Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge
- Go over Bridge and take first exit, Rte 32, North a few miles to Route 9
- Take a right going towards Saugerties (see the Stewarts store on left)
- Go one mile North on Route 9W to the Historic Saugerties Sign
- See Smythe House on the left, sign over door "Smythe House"
- Our house is across from Trinity Place
- If you get to the Knights of Columbus building you have gone too far
- Turn around, find our B&B on the right, two doors past Hellsmoortel Insurance