The Bartlett House Inn
Table Of Contents
The Bartlett House InnThe Bartlett House Inn is located in Greenport, NY and is the largest B&B on the North Fork. Six Years of renovation & upgrades were completed February of 2009. The inn boasts of hi-speed Wireless Internet, flat panel TVs, European Linens, and Luxurious Mattresses.
This beautiful Classical Revival (or Beaux Arts) style home has 10 Guest Rooms - 8 with private, newly renovated baths, and 1 private two bedroom unit that shares a restored bath.
Located in the heart of the Village of Greenport, it is:
- Five minutes walk to Greenport's Restaurants, Boutiques, Galleries, Harbor and Marina
- Five minute walk to the Beach
- Five minute walk to Long Island Railroad and Hampton Jitney Bus Service to/from New York City
- Two to twenty minutes drive to all Vineyards and Tasting Rooms
- Five minutes drive to Island's End Golf Course
- Fifteen minutes drive to Orient State Park and the Orient Point / New London Cross Sound Ferry
The original structure was completed in 1908 by NY Assemblyman John Bartlett to entertain that period's luminaries. Now in its 3rd decade as a B&B, Owners Jack & Diane (since July '03) have spent the last six years restoring this magnificent structure to its original beauty, and have added additional common areas and facilities to be enjoyed by all its Guests.
The Inn has a lovely wrap-around porch and gardens. The interior has Corinthian columns, stained glass windows, and remarkable inlaid white oak parquetry floors. The large Living Room has a romantic fireplace, as does the Master Bedroom. Throughout are intricate moldings rarely seen today. The Inn's warm, inviting ambiance, with its eclectic furnishings and adornments, is the result of Diane's years as an Interior Designer with Ethan Allen , and from Jack and Diane's years of travel to Asia, Africa, South America and Europe. Jack still works for the World Wildlife Fund, and when abroad continues to acquire art, sculptures, and other items that add unique touches to the Inn's Guestrooms and common areas.
Bartlett House is a favorite of travelers who visit the North Fork's popular vineyards and farms, dine at the area's excellent restaurants, or tour its galleries, antique shops and beaches. Or to see the Tall Sailing Ships and other harbor attractions. Greenport's new Marina, opened in 2006, has the largest number of transient boat slips on Long Island.
The Inn also hosts reunions, business retreats, meetings and other special events, and wedding parties. Some of those weddings resulted from a getaway weekend at Bartlett House; a romantic trip to Greenport brings many of our Guests for their first visit.
The Inn is also favored by business travelers. While it offers all of the comforts and service expected at a B&B, Bartlett House also offers wireless hi-speed internet connection, faxing facilities, and proximity to the ferries to Connecticut, Shelter Island and the South Fork. We are five minutes walk to the Long Island Railroad and to the Hampton Jitney Bus Line. Both offer a relaxing 2 ½ hour service that departs frequently for Manhattan, terminating in Penn Station (Railroad) or near Grand Central Station (Bus Line).
Bartlett House was constructed in 1908 by NY State Assemblyman John Bartlett, who was a Delegate to both the 1904 and 1908 Presidential Conventions. Occupied by just Assemblyman Bartlett and his wife Mary and their domestic servants, it was primarily used to entertain and meet with the notables of that era.
Bartlett House remained in the family for the next forty or so years. Then, starting around 1950, for about ten years it was used as a boarding house. Located within a three minute walk from Greenport's harbor, local Mariners found it convenient to rent rooms here between sea voyages. After that, for most of the next two decades, Bartlett House was used as a Convent housing the Nuns who taught at the nearby Catholic elementary school.
In 1980 the building was acquired by its first owners who planned to offer it as an Inn. For much of the following two years extensive renovations took place. Additional bathrooms, fire sprinklers and other safety features were added, and its original architectural details restored to their original beauty. Their work created an extraordinary Inn, with unique styling and of a size - 10 bedrooms with private baths - that set it apart on the North Fork's East End.
In July 2003, Bartlett House was acquired by Innkeepers Jack and Diane, two American kids growin´ up in the heartland (actually New York, New Jersey, Indiana, Wisconsin, Virginia and Washington, DC)! Since July they have labored night and day to restore the luster the Inn had gradually lost over the years. Every room, bathroom, and public space has been upgraded, with the result that the luster has not only been restored, it's been improved upon.
Diane combined her knowledge gained through many years as an Interior Designer for Ethan Allen, Inc. with her talents as an artist. Applying that to the furnishings and accessories acquired while with Ethan Allen, mixed with those gathered during her and Jack's extensive travels to Asia, Africa, South America and Europe, has resulted in an Inn that is both beautiful and, magically, makes Guests immediately feel at home. Tourists, business travelers, brides, wedding parties, reunion groups, wine clubs, cyclists, and the South Hampton Chamber Music Festival all react the same: Bartlett House is their home while they are in Greenport.
Bartlett House Inn is the perfect setting for that special day. We have ten (10) bedrooms with private bathrooms and can accommodate up to forty (40) guests in our two attached dining rooms that open to a wrap around porch for cocktail hour.
- Long Island Expressway until it terminates onto County Road 58 east.
- Go straight about 3 miles to a traffic circle to Route 25 east - you exit the circle exactly opposite where you enter it. That is, you would simply be going straight , if the circle didn’t exist.
- Stay on Route 25 to Greenport.
- It is about 25 miles from the end of the Long Island Expressway to Bartlett House Inn.
- We are located at the corner of Front Street (Rt. 25) and Fifth Street in Greenport, right next door to St. Agnes Church, a lovely, newly restored village church built in 1852.
- From the New London/Orient Point Ferry, go west on Route 25 about 8 miles to a blinking light.
- Turn left onto Main Street and follow about 1 mile to another blinking light – this one in the center of Greenport Village.
- Turn right onto Front Street and proceed about ¼ mile to 5th Street.
- We are on your left at 5th Street.
- Turn left onto 5th and then turn right into our parking lot.
- Street parking is legal.