Alice's Dowry Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
"Thanks for stopping by to take a peek at Alice's Dowry. We hope you like what you see."
Pretty nice wedding present, don't you think? This is what Alice's father gave her in 1876, and it remains as grand a haven as the day Dr. Nelson Barnes carried her across the threshold.
Along the way, Alice's descendants occupied the home, even entertained Franklin Delano Roosevelt while he was governor of New York state, and she's been awarded the honor of being listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cincinnatus, just minutes from I-81, is tucked in the Finger Lakes Region near Cortland with Syracuse to the north, Binghamton to the south, Ithaca to the west, and Norwich to the east. It's convenient to area colleges, Whitney Point Lake, the Finger Lakes Trail and Skaneateles Lake.
Ours is a world of scenic landscapes and country roads where the stars light your way home. Come join us, we'd love to meet you!
Guests enter through the porch door which opens to the common room and front parlor. Here they only just begin to feel the warmth of Alice's Dowry. It's cozy; it's private - filled with antiques and plenty of whimsical charm!
The curved staircase, front parlor, common room, sun porch and guest bedrooms (with private baths, electroflame fireplaces, A/C & cable TV) are all part of the Alice's Dowry experience.
This is truly the guests' house as we live in our own private quarters in the back of the house.
We now offer wireless internet throughout the B&B.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Mary for sharing her own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
Convenience of our location, halfway from NYC, Canada and Niagara falls. We are also located a short distance from Sunny, Cornell and Colgate colleges so many parents choose to stay in our quiet country setting over the college town establishments. Our trip advisor and other online reviews play a significant part in our guest decision as well. Check them out for yourself.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
We are famous for our wonderful full hot country breakfast, we serve each morning. Which many guest have seen on our website or from other guest photos and they always have their own special request. The baked pancakes are a big hit, served with homemade jam local maple syrup and of course local fresh ground sausage. The inn is unique in many ways , A historic Italianate Victorian circa 1876 built by Peleg Holmes ( bloodline descendant of Miles Standish ) for his daughter Alice for her marriage to Dr. Nelson Barnes , former own A.B.Brown local politician was known to entertain F.D.R. when he was governor of new York at the home. Our guest have the inn to themselves as the owners quarters are separate from the guest entrance, common room, formal dining room and sun room, which is a great place to sit and read or enjoy lunch in front of the fireplace, as well as the spacious guest rooms and sitting areas. But we are always just a ring away.
The inn is also a short walking distance to the local farmers market, antique stores and local bakery as well as fireman's field, where many local events take place year round such as our Fourth of July celebration and Cincinnatus corn festival. The quiet country setting and surrounding farms and state parks and rivers are what we really love the most about the area, and the opportunity to meet guest from all around the world and have them explore our gardens and quiet sitting venues our fish pond which I love very much.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
The number one reason to visit our area is Alice's Dowry of course, but the Finger Lake and leather stocking regions are also a great place to visit and explore the natural wonders, vineyards, waterfalls and gorges.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
Our greatest compliment is when a guest chose's to stay at Alice's Dowry and then makes another reservation for their return trip through the area on their way home.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
The best kept secret is Alice's Dowry called the jewel of the area by many of our guest, or the secret waterfall and swimming hole known by locals only ( but we'll tell you how to find it ) and the Otselic river across the street for blue ribbon fishing and tubing.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
If staying four nights, take a day trip to the 1000 islands, NYC or Niagara falls. Visit one of the many State parks for summer and winter activities, as well as a close proximity to area ski resorts and winery’s. You will always have something to see or do when in the Finger Lake and Leather stocking regions. Hike, fish, golf, sled, boat, ski & horseback riding too name a few or just relax.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
A short walk and you can swim or fish in the Otselic River. Take a stroll to the local ice cream parlor or antique store. Across the street from the inn is the local park.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
There are many wonderful restaurants close by such as Aiello's and Commando’s or Amelia's and Wild Ginger as well as our local pizza shop Margo’s.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference? How many rooms does your inn have?
We feature four well-appointed spacious guest rooms with private baths and sitting rooms. All rooms can be viewed on our web site alicesdowry.com or cortlandlodging.com as well as directions and a map of the area.
Do you accept pets?
Pets are always welcome. We love our guests to bring all the family along, from the lap dog to the bird dog; they're all welcome at Alice's Dowry Bed & Breakfast. Please just let us know when you make your reservation.
Amenities and Breakfast Menu
Alice's Dowry offers much more than just a room to sleep. The front parlor (pictured on the home page) and adjoining common room are furnished with antiques, the most comfortable sofa you ever sat on, cable TV, VCR, vintage slot machine and oak ice box. Bottled water and soft drinks in the fridge are compliments of "Alice." There is also a telephone here for your use. You may want to note: ATT and Cingular cell phones work well in the house; Verizon does not.
"At Alice's Dowry the breakfasts are an art form"
Jim Moulton/web wanderer - The Maine Coastal Journal
Thanks to Mother Nature, breakfast is served with perennial entertainment right outside the sun porch windows: Crocus in early spring play peek-a-boo through the melting snow,hummingbirds join you for breakfast on summer mornings, autumn leaves flirt with you as they dance in the wind , and delicate snow flakes create a winter wonderland.
"You were perfect hosts and the breakfasts...Martha Stewart move over!" Janie & Mike
Full sit down Breakfast with Fresh Fruit, choice of Juice's,Breads Bagels, Sweet rolls, Yogurt, Coffee/Tea's. Sample menu includes: Quiche, Fruit Stratta's, Pancakes, Eggs Benedict, Waffles & Fresh fruit, Saw mill gravy & biscuit. Breakfast is at the Chef's whim, unless choice is given. Special orders with advanced notice.
Dinners also available with advanced notice. Sample of Dining options Beef Stroganoff, Beef / vegetable Lasagna, Shrimp scampi, Tortellini Cabonara, Chicken /marsala/piccata or parmigiana,Roasted Turkey, Roast pork loin. All meals come with Appetizer, Fresh Salad, Soup and Dessert and fresh baked bread or rolls.
Let Us Entertain You!
At Alice's Dowry it is important your visit is all you expect and hopefully more. So, tell us what's your pleasure. We'll do our best to help you find it; we'll even show you how to get there. We'll provide you with suggestions and information relevant to your inclinations.
If you want to be lazy, right here at home, lose yourself in our reading materials or in the gardens. Or be energetic; hike up the nearby hill for a scenic view of the valley.
But we encourage you to wander further to survey our countryside of treasures; to really feel the area. Squeezed within a minute to an hour drive are seasonal sports and recreations, natural wonders, all kinds of shops, and of course, wonderful restaurants. Have fun!
Play golf at scenic Knickerbocker Country Club just one mile away. This is an 18 hole course (5300 yds.) offering golf the way it should be! No tee times or lines just a casual and relaxing game. Stunning scenery from all over the course and prices that will astound you.
Weekdays: $13.50 a round
Weekends: $16.00 a round
(Riding carts: $23.00)
Nine holes even less expensive.
Whitney Point Lake
A pristine 1200 acre reservoir with over 10 miles of shoreline is just 15 minutes away. Whitney Point Lake offers swimming, hiking, picnicking, boating and fishing at two different recreation areas on the lake. Rentals of rowboats, canoes and Sunfish sailboats (lessons available) are offered from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Free public access makes this the right choice for those looking for a relaxing lake experience. Contact us for more information and a detailed brochure showing all of the amenities.
"You made a weekend get away into a true vacation." Brigette & Paul
Other Website Links
- Knickerbocker CC Golf Course - Just one mile from Alice's Dowry. 18 hole course offering great golf at even greater prices. Look for our weekday golf package.
- Earl Rumsey Durand - Nationally recognized artist/sculptor
- Labrador Mountain Ski Resort - Just 20 minutes away. Ski where the locals ski and spend more time on the mountain than waiting on the ski lift line. labradormtn.com
- Cincinnatus Corn Festival - Annual festival every third Saturday in September. Parade, crafts, displays, entertainment, games, food court and more! Admission is always free
Cortland Repertory Theater - Professional summer stock theatre at a beautiful lake setting.June through September, Half hour away
- Finger Lakes Artists and Crafters Network - Finger Lakes artists, gift shops, museums and festivals, www.fingerlakesartists.com
- The Outdoor Lodge's Top Fishing Sites - Bed and Breakfast just steps from great brown trout fishing! www.theoutdoorlodge.com
- Cortland County Sportsmen Federation - consists of twelve clubs in Cortland County, NY
- A non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing all of the outdoors sports for its members and future generations. cortlandsportsfederation.isportsdot.com/
- Arbutus Garden House Bed and Breakfast (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - Located in an area of large heritage homes in the premier residential area of Vancouver, but only minutes to downtown. A Canada Select 4.5 star property. Voted Canadian B&B of the year ( 1999-2000 ) by North American Country Inns and Bed and Breakfast Magazine www.arbutushouse.com
- Cordova Beach Bed and Breakfast (Victoria, BC, Canada) - On the beach at Cordova Bay, Victoria, BC. Imagine falling asleep to sounds of lapping waves and awakening to an incredible seascape www.cordovabeach.com
Arbutus Vista Vancouver Bed and Breakfast Suite (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - Modern 538 sq.ft. Private Suite, Free ADSL Internet, 2 BDRM. Private: bathroom, entrance, phone line. Upscale amenities, quiet, prestigious neighbourhood, close to almost everything, affordable!
- Cortland County Sportsmen Federation - consists of twelve clubs in Cortland County, NY. A non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing all of the outdoors sports for its members and future generations. cortlandsportsfederation.isportsdot.com/
How to Find Us
Directions to Alice's Dowry
From I-81 Exit 10:
- 41S through McGraw to Telephone Road, 6 miles (Hathaway House on left)
- Telephone Road to Route 26, 8 miles
- Alice's Dowry is next to Historic Church
From I-81 Exit 9:
- 221E to 26-41, 7 miles
- 26-41N to "Y", 3 miles
- 26N, 2 miles
- Alice's Dowry is next to Historic Church
Cincinnatus, New York
- Real country 4th of July Celebration with fireworks and parade. Annual Corn Festival every September
- Marathon, New York - 15 minutes
- Maple festival, golf, antiques, antiques, antiques
- Hamilton, New York - 50 minutes
- Colgate University, antiques
- Cortland, New York - 20 minutes
- SUNY college, country music park, golf, Great Pumpkinfest, Cortland Repertory Theater
- Norwich, New York - 30 minutes
- Northeast Classic Car Museum
- Skaneateles, New York - 45 minutes
- Lake, boat tours, antiques, boutiques
- 4 hours from NYC (George Washington Bridge)
Ithaca, New York - 45 minutes
- Cayuga Lake, Wine Trail, antiques, boutiques
- Cooperstown, New York - 90 minutes
- Baseball Hall of Fame, Lake, Farmer's Museum
- Syracuse, New York - 50 minutes
- Large city, malls, Historic District for walking and shopping, AAA Baseball Team, Minor League Hockey and Football, symphony, theater, Historic Armory Square, Interactive Science Museum
- Binghamton, New York - 30 minutes
- Medium city, malls, Minor League Baseball, symphony, theater
- Whitney Point Lake, New York - 15 minutes
- Water sports, boat rentals, fishing, hiking, picnicking
- Solon, New York - Just 10 minutes away
- Tinelli's Hathaway House