The Dominion House Bed & Breakfast
Table Of Contents
The Dominion House Bed & Breakfast in Blooming Grove, New York, is located approximately 50 miles north of New York City in the scenic Hudson Valley, situated on 4.5 acres at the end of a country lane in central Orange County. It is conveniently located only minutes from Woodbury Common Premium Outlets, West Point, Storm King Art Center, Sterling Forest and local wineries.
The inn was built in 1880 by a local farmer, Benjamin Strong. His family settled the area in the seventeen hundreds. The house has spacious rooms, wide plank floors, marble mantels, original furnishings, moldings and ornate plaster cornices. Swimming pool, slate top pool table, Jacuzzi, and library are available for your pleasure and relaxation. A large deck and wrap around porch are perfect for afternoon tea or summer breakfast. In the colder months relax in our large parlor or by the fire in our oak paneled den.
Travelers are always looking for memorable and relaxing experiences. Let’s discover more through the words of our innkeepers. Many thanks to Kathy & Joe Spear for sharing their own secrets with BBOnline.com! Why do most travelers stay at your inn?
There are a wide variety of reasons out guests come to our B&B. We are rural so our location is not ideal but guests love the atmosphere. Woodbury Common, people escaping NYC, West Point, Storm King Art Center and guest visiting friends and family in our area.
What are you best known for? What makes your inn unique? What do you love most about your inn?
We are a rural B&B, we are on a quiet road with 4.5 acres. Our home is 1880 with original furnishing, moldings, ornate cornices, marble fireplaces and loads of charm. We have a lot of common room for family gatherings such as weddings and especially West Point graduation. Guests have room to relax in our large parlor, back deck or wrap around front porch. We are family friendly for those who want to give the B&B experience to their children.
If someone has never been to your city, what is the #1 reason to come visit?
Number one reason I would say is we are only 1-2 hours away from NYC depending where in the city you live. Especially during the warm months guests want to get out of the heat and into our pool.
What’s the best compliment you have ever received about the inn?
Our best and most frequent comment is how we make our guests feel at home. Most feel they come as guests and leave as friends.
What’s the best kept secret about the area?
Our best kept secret is most likely Storm King Art Center. We did not even know it was there until we became innkeepers. It is an absolutely pristine 500 acres of art and nature. It’s about 15 minutes away from our B&B.
If a traveler is staying at your inn for 4 nights, what should he/she do in the area?
It would be easy to fill four days but also depends on their interests. We are in the center of the Shawangunk Wine Trail. Great wineries with tours and entertainment. Historical sites, West Point Military Academy, Washington’s Headquarters, Knox’s Headquarters, National Purple Heart Museum and more. Shopping at Woodbury Common Premium Outlets, 220 designer outlet stores all in one place is a shoppers dream come true. Sugar Loaf Craft Village for the treasure and bargain hunters. Hiking, at beautiful Harriman State Park or Minnewaska State Park for the person who loves the outdoors. Hall of Fame of the Trotter in Goshen, along with harness racing at certain times of the year. A Hudson River Cruise out of Newburgh is a lovely experience that guests enjoy.
Is there anything within walking distance of your inn?
We do have a restaurant about one mile away which we have had guests walk to but it is not ideal. Many restaurants are close by but you need a car or taxi.
What is your favorite restaurant/food in the area?
Bella Luna [one mile away] is an excellent Italian place. Guests love it when they have been traveling all day to get here. We also recommend the Newburgh Waterfront [12 miles] for variety and they all sit on the Hudson River with great views. Locally within 6 miles we have several other restaurants we recommend.
Any good area guides/websites that travelers could reference? How many rooms does your inn have?
We have three rooms in the main house and a private cottage.
Do you accept pets?
We do not allow pets and reallydon’t know of any alternatives in our area. We find most pet owners that are traveling with pets to not trust just anyone to care for them.
In the summer months feel free to take a dip in the pool for a refreshing swim. Play horse shoes in the cool of the evening or simply sit in a rocker and watch the sunset. Winter visitors will enjoy a blazing fire in our oak den. It's a great way to finish the day after skiing at near by Mt. Peter or Mountain Creek.
Our guests are served full country breakfasts. Some of the specialties of the house are caramel sticky buns, peach French toast and stuffed croissants just to name a few. In the cool months a candle light breakfast will be served in our large comfortable dining room. In the summer and fall you can enjoy having breakfast on our large wrap-around porch. Also, you may enjoy sitting by the pool enjoying a cup of fresh-brewed ground coffee.
Things to Do
All this makes for the perfect accommodation for a romantic get away in any season. Are you looking for that place to have a "mini reunion"? Meet a group of friends and spend the time catching up and shopping.
Your hosts Kathy & Joe Spear invite you to make yourself at home. Your lodging includes a full country breakfast. Snacks, tea, coffee, cold drinks and guest refrigerator are available twenty four hours a day. Homemade rolls, breads and muffins are a specialty of the house. Three large rooms are available and a private efficiency cottage. Rooms are non-smoking and include cable TV, AC, and wireless internet.
Smoking is permitted on outside porches.
Well behaved children are welcome. Sorry no pets.
When staying at The Dominion House prepare to relax and enjoy all we have to offer. Listen to music in our large parlor, play a game of pool on our slate top table. After a busy day of shopping or hiking or taking in the sights, enjoy a soak in the hot tub and just relax. For those who like a good book chose from the large selection in our library. For business travelers, we have computer and fax access with high speed wireless internet access.
We do allow children of all ages. Rates are based on double occupancy. Children five and under stay free. Additional charge of $15.00 per night for children 6-16 if there are more then two guests in the room. Toddler bed and rollaways are available.
How to Find Us
GPS: Coordinates = N41 24.342 W74 12.242
From the West
- On I- 84 take Exit 4 east onto Rt.17
- Take Rt.17 to Exit 126 turn left onto Rt. 94 east, at stop turn left, take Rt.94 about 5.9 miles
- After passing a large red barn on left "Blooming Grove Colonials" take next left onto Old Dominion Rd., 1/2 mile in, last house on right
From the East
- On I-84 take exit 5A , left on Rt. 747 South
- Go 2.2 miles to light, go right onto Rt. 207 west
- Take first left onto Toleman Rd.(storage units on left) 4.2 miles to stop, right onto Rt. 94 west, 2.9 miles, right onto Old Dominion Rd
- 1/2 mile in, last house on right
From the North
- On I-87 take Exit 17, stay left after toll to light
- Right onto 17k west
- Move over to the left lane, at light take left onto Union Ave.(Rt.300) south, go to END, right onto Rt. 207 west, 3.6 miles
- Left onto Toleman Rd. (storage units on left), 4.2 miles to stop, right onto Rt.94 west, 2.9 miles, right onto Old Dominion Rd., 1/2 mile in, last house on right
From the South
- On I-87 off at Exit 16 onto Rt. 17/6 west, 4.6 miles to Exit 130
- Right on Rt. 208, 4.8 miles
- Left onto Round Hill Rd. (just past brick grammar school)
- Bear right at fork to stop
- Diagonally across onto Old Dominion Rd., 1/2 mile in
- Last house on right.
- MTA Metro North Rail Road - Port Jervis Line, Salisbury Train Station, 1600 Route 94 New Windsor, NY 12553 (~5.2 miles from house)
- Take right on Route 94 W
- Go approximately 5 miles
- Take a right on Old Dominion Rd
- 1/2 mile in, last house on right
- Stewart International Airport (SWF)
- 1098 First Street New Windsor, NY 12553 (~10.1 miles from house)
- Make a left out of the airport onto Breunig Rd
- Continue to the traffic light and make a right onto Route 207
- Go approximately 2.3 miles and make a left onto Toleman Rd
- Go to stop sign (approximately 3.3 miles) and make a right onto Route 94
- Go 2.5 miles and make a right onto Old Dominion Rd
- 1/2 mile in, last house on right